Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nalesh posted:

Huh why is it the stowaway already again?
I guess it's because they only have 7 Hitman 2 ETs and apparently refuse to reactivate/reset the 14 legacy ETs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I left this game uninstalled for way too long. I have no memory of the Silver Tongue or Bitter Pill special assignments! Were these any better than the Illusions of Grandeur or Embrace of the Serpent ones?

I mean it's fine if they're obvious ETs, I like being able to replay those, but maps like the Icon spoiled me.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'd say they are slightly better, but not amazing and really a step down from the Icon and stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zedd posted:

I'd say they are slightly better, but not amazing and really a step down from the Icon and stuff.

Yeah, those weren't bad. Nice little additions, provided I kept my expectations low. I'm glad they weren't ETs, as I want to do some things like be a Thwack driver, or buy snake oil from the other guy.

Idle thought: I know it'd go against the design but having an actual run in Hitman 3 would be nice. Getting out of Whittleston Creek takes 59438093 years at 47's slow jog.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I too agree that the second set of special assignments is better than the first pair, although not as great as the bonus missions from season 1. For Hitman 3 I wouldn't mind if if they stop making Elusive Targets and replace them with various bonus missions throughout a year.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Idle thought: I know it'd go against the design but having an actual run in Hitman 3 would be nice. Getting out of Whittleston Creek takes 59438093 years at 47's slow jog.

I pretty much always end up leaving that map by opening a sewer manhole with a crowbar. The one near the garbage truck also has the guard with Janus' diary close.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 14, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I really don't see how they can make a sequel at this point without massively changing the core gameplay; they've really exhausted most of the space- and given players way too much power.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I really don't see how they can make a sequel at this point without massively changing the core gameplay; they've really exhausted most of the space- and given players way too much power.

If they just release new maps forever, I'll be happy. Just keep remaking Hokkaido with different layouts and guard patterns.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Airport has always been on my wishlist. Just make an instant fail condition if you kill anyone other than the target.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hitman vs Predator.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Just make an instant fail condition if you kill anyone other than the target.

Please never design video games.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

KillHour posted:

Please never design video games.

Why’s that? It heads off the furore from creating another No Russian’ situation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hitman is already a game where you can slaughter an entire town full of people. Auto-fail conditions are terrible in a sandbox game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

If they just release new maps forever, I'll be happy. Just keep remaking Hokkaido with different layouts and guard patterns.
:same:
To not make this an empty post: For the crowd that likes it going aggressive but still stealthy-ish should be supported more in the loadouts.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Hitman 3 airport level but it's a nazi zombie battle royale

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I still want a proper prison level.

The ability to change npc pathing/scripting for contracts could be pretty awesome too.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

A proper wedding level would also be fun as hell.
I also dream of an open-world Amsterdam a la Sapienza full of art museums, weed cafes, and canals

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

A proper wedding level would also be fun as hell.
I also dream of an open-world Amsterdam a la Sapienza full of art museums, weed cafes, and canals

Oh man, a New Orleans level with all the alleyways and courtyards and whatnot of the French Quarter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think regarding the gameplay it feels like they have tapped out on the ways to do it, in a sense... and yeah, too many powerful tools. But on the other hand I would literally be happy if Hitman 3 was just more levels. I would be even happier with a full level editor, too. Just let us put in text for dialogue so we don't have to get voice actors for new scenarios!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The problem with releasing a season three for this is that if they take the Hitman 2 route and release it as a separate game it by necessity needs to have the basic unlocks - lock pick, poisons, etc - as unlocks within that, which is why the Mk 2 items exist. When you remove items that are just meant to be safety nets for if players don’t own the Legacy Pack, you’ve removed like 90% of the items from Hitman 2, and what’s left is absurdly OP poo poo like the tranq gun and electric phone.

To be entirely honest, if they do a season three that doesn’t transfer Hitman 2 saves, I’m like 50/50 on whether I’ll buy it or not. I had a big problem with H2 where I ground for all my old unlocks from the Legacy Pack and then made myself so sick of the game from replaying levels I already did to death in 2016 I didn’t play the actual H2 levels until months later.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

Hitman 3 could be just more levels but maybe lock all the 25 different perfect hidden explosives and vomit guns into a non-mastery / seperately-ranked sandbox mode or something

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Hitman 3 being a new game with new levels that can also import the levels from 1 + 2 would be fine. Who gives a poo poo about overpowered items?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Hitman 3 being a new game with new levels that can also import the levels from 1 + 2 would be fine. Who gives a poo poo about overpowered items?

I don't, but if I have to re-unlock the achievements in colorado AGAIN i will have a problem

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You don't have to unlock them you know.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

KillHour posted:

You don't have to unlock them you know.

I don't understand?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Honestly, Hitman 3 would be nice but what I really want is for IOI to use the engine to remake Sid Meier's Covert Action :v:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i liked the idea of the game continuing as a service where we just got new content forever but now i do kinda feel like i’ve solved the core mechanics and would like to see some significant evolution of the formula

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Time for me to repost my modest proposal for a reimagining of Absolution!

No but seriously, the stuff they added over the course of hitman 2 makes me feel pretty strongly that we're going to wind up with some sort of co-op game following this.

Possibly another K&L.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

imo add the following:

1) elevators
2) vehicular street traffic
3) dynamic light/darkness concealment

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't, but if I have to re-unlock the achievements in colorado AGAIN i will have a problem

haha scarecrow challenges go cawcawcaw

Edit: Actually, they would probably add those challenge packs later on. I would miss my trusty ICA Crowbar for a bit.

Discendo Vox posted:

Time for me to repost my modest proposal for a reimagining of Absolution!

No but seriously, the stuff they added over the course of hitman 2 makes me feel pretty strongly that we're going to wind up with some sort of co-op game following this.

Possibly another K&L.

Except IOI no longer has the rights to Kane & Lynch or Mini Ninjas. But maybe we'll get a co-op mode starring the Kashmirian and Smith!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

HM3 better have the legacy content.
Also just give us the basic tools in the tutorial, doing SASO on master on Bangkok twice broke me; least Colorado has a pretty foolproof was now.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Make it so you carry over your unlocks from previous entries but can only use them when mastery level 20 has been achieved on all levels.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Make it so you carry over your unlocks from previous entries but can only use them when mastery level 20 has been achieved on all levels.
I'd sign up for this, I have all mastery 20 anyway. :shepface:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zedd posted:

I'd sign up for this, I have all mastery 20 anyway. :shepface:

I meant in the future levels natch. I assume everyone has mastery 20 in the existing ones who still posts in this thread.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mystery Levels: the more you play the harder the levels gets.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I thought the next game explicitly wasn't going to be a Hitman? Like, sure, use the engine, but the game has been played to death now and is ripe for a ten year hibernation till a remaster.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Mystery Levels: the more you play the harder the levels gets.

Cameras around every corner.
One guard added for every water bottle, glass and food plate in the level (aka the Zaydan Master Maneuver).
More NPCs in levels that maybe end up killing themselves.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 15, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's a level where you play as Diana Burnwood and instead of her giving handler commentary on what is going on and reminders about what the mission parameters are, it's 47 detailing endless variations to her on ways to kill every single npc she sees on the map. The more ludicrous the method, the more often 47 says,"Obviously you could..." at the start of his explanation.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess that would be one way to "reset" progress to avoid. Have a new playable assassin who needs to learn and master the areas (even the old ones), and unlock 47 and his old gadgets that way.

Having to earn the "fluff" tools like the million different melee and explosive weapons again wouldn't really hurt but mechanically they don't really feel like progression either, so that might not be enough. But yeah if I have to re-unlock important utilities like lockpicks or breaching charges again, let alone all the starting points/disguises for old maps, I'd probably skip it and keep playing Hitman 2 instead. Luckily I wasn't that far into Hitman 2016 when I started the 2nd game so I was only up to like mastery level 8 to 12 on the old maps, except Paris and Marrakesh which I did to exhaustion.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Stowaway ET on Sgail is active again.

Jerusalem posted:

There's a level where you play as Diana Burnwood and instead of her giving handler commentary on what is going on and reminders about what the mission parameters are, it's 47 detailing endless variations to her on ways to kill every single npc she sees on the map. The more ludicrous the method, the more often 47 says,"Obviously you could..." at the start of his explanation.

Ah hah, the sequel to 47 being a real estate agent in Whittleton Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My assumption was gonna be that the next Hitman game, whenever that is, would be its own thing

I mean if they decide to keep putting every previous game into every new game that would continue being an amazing value but it seems like a huge amount of work and it's not exactly making them bank

I also dont care about unlocks though because there are roughly six useful ones and then forty variations of an unsilenced weapon I'll never use or a knife I'll never use

Plus unlocking outfits rules? Some of my favorite gameplay is doing stuff like the weird challenge list to get the purple flamingo suit