Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a thread for Old World? It's really fuckin good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's here. It's pretty slow, at the moment.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Starks posted:

Huh? I thought they were the same thing...what am I not getting here.

Yeah maybe now that all corn is maize, but back in the day, corn could be any grain you wanted, maaan

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is Old World ever going to be on Steam?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ragnar34 posted:

Is it an Epic exclusive? Most of those are timed exclusives I believe, either 6 months or 1 year. Epic would have to pay through the nose to keep any games exclusive into perpetuity, and even with that Fortnite money I don't think they're ready to do that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Epic exclusivity typically lasts a year. The publishers never make a big point out of it, but it's happened very consistently so far.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Borderlands 3 was only 6 months I believe, but that was such a high profile release that they could ask for more money than Epic was probably willing to pay.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I posted about Old World before, but the fundamental decision to give everyone ~10 movement is just bonkers, it makes aggressive wars way too easy (through ganging up on units thus gaining action advantage).

Combine this with archers firing from 3 hexes away and you have huge incentive to always be a war economy. Who cares about building incredibly weak wonders when doing so makes you lose cities and not doing so gets you opponents wonders.

Technically you could say that about civ, but I can also just turtle and build nice cities, I *really* like doing that.

The real innovation with the characters seem disjointed. Characters have attributes that give global mana (money, research, culture and military exp) and some weak local mods (like more farm output in the city if they are governor). The roleplay events are a very nice change of pace, but often become rollplay because they can modify attributes.

But it's still early access, and right now with the recursive Epic Games Store coupon it's even cheaper.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, looks like they are still findind a balance

But I do appreciate what they are trying to with all those movement points. In civ, units are way too slow, which makes wars last literally centuries and makes the AI even more dumb

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why are the leader screens so insanely demanding btw?

And why do the developers focus so much effort and cost on them? How many people actually give a drat about them? Even when I played on maximum settings via Geforce Now I turned them off every game when I remembered (the menu screens even make this that much harder to do as well, requiring you to select the advanced graphics option which is just another meaningless click on a tiny menu bar). Not that I can even play this game any more since 2K pulled their games from the service. They literally had to just do nothing and they'd have got another $40 from me and countless others that they now won't.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Marmaduke! posted:

And why do the developers focus so much effort and cost on them? How many people actually give a drat about them?

They're flashy things that attract sales.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the leader pop ups def help involve you in the game and a good way to impress info onto you besides numbers. They actually look mad at you when they are mad eg.

There are just too many and frequent

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Goodpancakes posted:

Got this for the switch and it's un-loving-playable. After world Congress that menu practically opens every button press. You can't even place districts anymore because trying to direct the placement brings up the world Congress menu. Lol gently caress.

I didn't know what you were talking about so I googled it and I guess it's a bug they introduced that happens when you move between touchscreen controls and the buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=318iCbgJ5_g

I never use the touchscreen, which I guess explains why I haven't seen it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Go back to live acted advisors imo that was great stuff.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I have yet to find a person who thinks that having Elvis as your culture advisor can be somehow made better. Everyone who says that it's possible is sadly wrong, and probably needs to have a lay-down until the fever passes. ;)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

THE BAR posted:

They're flashy things that attract sales.

Flashy yes but does that really lead to increased sales?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Marmaduke! posted:

Flashy yes but does that really lead to increased sales?

God yea definitely, graphics matter loads to loads of people.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ragnar34 posted:

I don't know about other Epic exclusives, but Epic actually funded the studio to make Old World. Soren Johnson says that the game would not have existed without them.

I think it's an Epic exclusive forever.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

I don't know about other Epic exclusives, but Epic actually funded the studio to make Old World. Soren Johnson says that the game would not have existed without them.

On the other hand, people in the business of making money very often say yes to more money, especially when the previous money stream starts to dry up.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Human Crouton posted:

if it is epic exclusive i guess i'm glad i bought it, cause soren is cool.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Soren Johnson's publisher literally went bankrupt which cut off their income stream and made continued development impossible without outside help. That outside help just happened to be Epic. That's a kind of moneyhat I can actually get behind.

I wish there was more of that and less "throw money at already or near-already finished games to secure an arbitrary exclusivity agreement" which is the actual gnarly garbage that people rightfully hate Epic Store for.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
No New Frontier updates yet, I just came in to complain that the laser stations were the very last tech on the tech tree. Hey Firaxis, this is why everyone quits all their civ games on turn 122.

vvvvv I know, that's why I'm annoyed

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 18, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ragnar34 posted:

No New Frontier updates yet, I just came in to complain that the laser stations were the very last tech on the tech tree. Hey Firaxis, this is why everyone quits all their civ games on turn 122.

not necessarily. the order of the future era tech is random - so sometimes it's earlier.

though by that point you really should just be one/two turning all the tech anyway.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 18, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Inspired by this thread, I started an Eleanor game on Pangea to try and roll culture while I am on Zoom calls for work.

After circumnavigating the globe, I found I am in a rather bad spot to use the city conquering with art strategy. I'm on the sub-continent from the main continent with a neutered Harald and I've got Shaka blocking me on a little northern land bridge to the main continent. The upside... the main continent has Shaka, Montezuma, and Tomyris among others who have been at war the whole game. And I still have plenty of land around myself and Harald to continue expanding. But I'm not going to get poo poo for tourism unless I get a foothold on the main continent.

So do I go to war to bully my way in past Shaka or do I trust in my culture (currently 140/turn with the next closest 98.5) to do it for me?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Loyalty flipping everyone with great works just sounds tedious to me. I'd just conquer yellow then settle the rest of that land for seaside resorts and national parks and chateaux.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 19, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Loyalty flipping with Eleanor is pretty easy, you just use a combination of great works and spies and cities will join you fairly quickly. I'd proceed as planned, focusing my attentions on the subcontinent to the southeast.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Note that tourism doesn't care how far away anyone is; it starts ticking as soon as you discover their civilization, and it's boosted by having things like open borders, the same religion, or a trade route. Getting a trade route online takes time for someone farther away, but everything else is the same regardless of distance. If you wanna get a culture victory, just fortify that land bridge, eat yellow, and be a haven for everyone who wants a weekend away from constant warfare.

If you want to flip the entire world, you're gonna have to do some ground work. Population is everything, and you've only got one tundra city that's actually in range of Shaka. You might be able to brute force it by pulling out all the stops, but I think you'd be better off just conquering a couple cities or scouting the western continent and see if there's a spot where you can drop a cluster of cities to pile pressure from a different angle. Looks like there might be an open area to the south of Montezuma.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It looks to me like there's two cities within the nine tile range of Shaka. Together with a Spy doing Foment Unrest and a few great works, it should be pretty possible to get -35 loyalty pressure on Shaka's nearest city, and then build from there. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Gran Colombia first look up. Seems pretty strong at first glance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qKSQ1nvbDs

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This civ sounds outright broken.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Plus one movement for every unit.
Improvements that are just better farms.
Free great generals.
Ridiculous.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
the movement alone is a game-changer

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gran Colombia is gonna be way OP.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Grab Colombia seems broken as hell. They should have some form of inherent drawback to reflect the fact that Gran Colombia rapidly balkanized as soon as Bolivar's troops moved on to their next campaign.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

the movement alone is a game-changer

well that's what I wanted from new civs

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Kaal posted:

Grab Colombia seems broken as hell. They should have some form of inherent drawback to reflect the fact that Gran Colombia rapidly balkanized as soon as Bolivar's troops moved on to their next campaign.

This would be interesting, maybe a loyalty penalty somewhere

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Note that tourism doesn't care how far away anyone is; it starts ticking as soon as you discover their civilization, and it's boosted by having things like open borders, the same religion, or a trade route. Getting a trade route online takes time for someone farther away, but everything else is the same regardless of distance. If you wanna get a culture victory, just fortify that land bridge, eat yellow, and be a haven for everyone who wants a weekend away from constant warfare.

If you want to flip the entire world, you're gonna have to do some ground work. Population is everything, and you've only got one tundra city that's actually in range of Shaka. You might be able to brute force it by pulling out all the stops, but I think you'd be better off just conquering a couple cities or scouting the western continent and see if there's a spot where you can drop a cluster of cities to pile pressure from a different angle. Looks like there might be an open area to the south of Montezuma.

Ah right. Funny how you can play a game for 300 hours and still not remember exactly how tourism works.

I've since settled below Norway and he has had to move governors around to staunch the loyalty bleeding. Also quickly absorbed Zanzibar after Norway conquered them and quickly lost them. The insta-flip is super nice. I'll eat up Norway before long.

Will probably wind up going for a more traditional culture win because it's actually Shaka's capital blocking me on that land bridge. So unless I go to war with him (definitely an option still), the pressure up north isn't helping much.

Kaal posted:

Grab Colombia is right.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Looks fun. I dont think is too OP, there are stronger and weaker civs already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

If the entire Civ was just "units gain +1 movement" I think they would still be top-tier for conquest victories.

edit: and no turn for promotion is also so huge.