Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Nah, there are VERY few in Sydney, that's why the best Mexican food in Australia can be found there. If you're lucky and can find it.

I had an amazing mole poblano in Sydney once and then the place closed or moved. One day I'll find somewhere that can do that again but the search is hard and long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like the "COOL *3 peppers*" which apparently means ... :iiam:

e: VV Oh lol

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 11:53 on May 15, 2020

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I like the "COOL *3 peppers*" which apparently means ... :iiam:

Cool is below mild. The peppers are empty, as they get filled in it goes to mild, medium, hot, extra hot or something

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Memento posted:

Yeah, in our defense, we have literally zero Mexican people here. No one in Australia would know what Mexican food was if it was tipped into their VB, let alone good Mexican food.

Mamasita in Melbourne is pretty reasonable. Good mezcal selection.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

slothrop posted:

Mamasita in Melbourne is pretty reasonable. Good mezcal selection.

See this is the best outcome from posts like mine, someone will tell me where I can go to correct the gap in my knowledge. Cheers!

Speaking of spicy food, and considering the thread we're in that I'm mostly responsible for being shitted up for the last page or so, I think this particular pepper might be too strong

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I had those old el paso enchiladas for dinner last night because I was lazy and drunk.

It's very hard to get the spices and chillis required for good, authentic mexican food in the UK. If I want to make proper enchiladas I have to source the ingredients online and a fairly hefty cost. Some markets do sell chipotle and ancho chillis but you're paying a lot for very little.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aginor posted:

I had those old el paso enchiladas for dinner last night because I was lazy and drunk.

It's very hard to get the spices and chillis required for good, authentic mexican food in the UK. If I want to make proper enchiladas I have to source the ingredients online and a fairly hefty cost. Some markets do sell chipotle and ancho chillis but you're paying a lot for very little.

You can buy Chipotle and Anchos in Sainsbury. The only reason they were hard to get was we banned Chipotle Chillies for a while.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Surely there's a ton of peppers and spices from Indian/Southeast Asian cuisine that would be more easily available and serve decently in a pinch?

e: or is this more about how like jalapeños are pronounced "japaleenos" so nobody knows what you're talking about

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Memento posted:

See this is the best outcome from posts like mine, someone will tell me where I can go to correct the gap in my knowledge. Cheers!

Speaking of spicy food, and considering the thread we're in that I'm mostly responsible for being shitted up for the last page or so, I think this particular pepper might be too strong

I eat guys like that for breakfast (on my huevos rancheros)

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

You can buy Chipotle and Anchos in Sainsbury. The only reason they were hard to get was we banned Chipotle Chillies for a while.

Did we? Why was that? Is that why I can never find that chipotle in abado sauce?

Definitely can get south east asian chillis and spices from Chinese and Indian supermarkets but feel like they're very different in taste to what mexican cuisines call for.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Aginor posted:

https://www.naturekitchen.co.uk/ I bought some spices from here a while back, because I couldn't find paprika in shops anywhere. Their prices are good, free shipping if you buy enough, they arrived quickly and taste how I assume they're meant to taste! Their chipotle seems good, although I haven't done much with it yet.

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 12:20 on May 15, 2020

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Aginor posted:

I bought a box from Spices on the Web, trading as Chillies on the Web on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GIID6UE/

https://spicesontheweb.co.uk/spice-gift-treat-packs

Went with the 20g per bag box and there's loads for cooking with (for me). Cooked the best drat Christmas chilli for years.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.naturekitchen.co.uk/ I bought some spices from here a while back, because I couldn't find paprika in shops anywhere. Their prices are good, free shipping if you buy enough, they arrived quickly and taste how I assume they're meant to taste! Their chipotle seems good, although I haven't done much with it yet.

spookygonk posted:

I bought a box from Spices on the Web, trading as Chillies on the Web on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GIID6UE/

https://spicesontheweb.co.uk/spice-gift-treat-packs

Went with the 20g per bag box and there's loads for cooking with (for me). Cooked the best drat Christmas chilli for years.

Cheers, guys! I'll check out both. Can't remember who I used last time but it was something ridiculous like £5-6 for 50g of chipotles.

Be good to get back into cooking mexican after my sausage career ended when I broke my meat mincer like an idiot. Got a plastic spoon good and stuck in there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aginor posted:

Did we? Why was that? Is that why I can never find that chipotle in abado sauce?

If you're text searching, it's adobo

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

If you're text searching, it's adobo

My bad. But I mean more in international supermarkets. Realize I can get it off amazon but I'm the frugal type.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Why did they ban chipotle chiles in the UK?

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

I looked it up and it had something to do with pecan wood which is used to smoke the chillis and give them their taste had higher amounts of a controlled substance called anthraquinone which exceeded the limits permitted by the EU.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jokes on them, I hear that stuff is a covid cure

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Data Graham posted:

Jokes on them, I hear that stuff is a covid cure

The secret is to grind them up into a fine powder and then breath it straight into your lungs.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

The secret is to grind them up into a fine powder and then breath it straight into your lungs.

Yeah but how would I take my meth?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Scratch Monkey posted:

In the 80s Mexican films were really popular in London so kids started fighting each other with peppers and street gangs started carrying around bags of carne asada. In response they didn't just ban Chipotle but all depictions of Chipotle on television.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In the 80s Mexican films were really popular in London so kids started fighting each other with peppers and street gangs started carrying around bags of carne asada. In response they didn't just ban Chipotle but all depictions of Chipotle on television.

Typical Thatcher society!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pookah posted:

UK and Ireland have these. They are for weakling children who can't stand anything spicier than ketchup.

:lol: England & other European countries colonizing a good chunk of the world in the hunt for spices back in the day and now they're scared of some chilies.

I wish all non-American (North & South) goons the opportunity to try the best Mexican food, which is usually from a taco truck at 3am after hitting the bars too hard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If I'm ever in the UK again I'm going to bring some Cholula or Valentina or Yucateco and I'm going to put it on my mushy peas and my chips. But not my fish.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Android Apocalypse posted:

:lol: England & other European countries colonizing a good chunk of the world in the hunt for spices back in the day and now they're scared of some chilies.

I wish all non-American (North & South) goons the opportunity to try the best Mexican food, which is usually from a taco truck at 3am after hitting the bars too hard.

It's not even like the ingredients to decent tacos aren't available world wide. Onions, tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, seasoned meat, and tortillas...there's nothing to it. Also hot peppers are easy to grow

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If I'm ever in the UK again I'm going to bring some Cholula or Valentina or Yucateco and I'm going to put it on my mushy peas and my chips. But not my fish.

We have cholula in the UK. Widely available. It's on every table at that abomination of a restaurant - Chiquito's.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I lol'd when I was in London and I saw there's a Mexican chain called "Wahaca"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

sometimes I will make food I don't even particularly want just to have a Valentina Black Label delivery system

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Do you guys like Mexican food? Where is the best Mexican food? What other kind of food do you like? Talk about the food you like (or dislike 😉)!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pastry of the Year posted:

sometimes I will make food I don't even particularly want just to have a Valentina Black Label delivery system

Do they add like way too much salt or possible some weird preservative to this stuff? Used to eat it all the time and it kept making me feel super weird and I never ate it again. Sure was tasty though.

big mood, so spicy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

Do you guys like Mexican food? Where is the best Mexican food? What other kind of food do you like? Talk about the food you like (or dislike 😉)!

The best Mexican food in the world can be had at any participating Taco Bell Cantina. Simply order the Baja Blast with two shots of vodka.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Data Graham posted:

We give Asian cultures a lot of grief for their broken English but this is several times as bad as that

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yes. Mexico. South Indian Vegetarian.

But I've heard some people like spaghetti.

And still others enjoy baked beans.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Mexican style tapas. Another abomination.

There's only one restaurant to go in London and that's Hermann Ze Germans.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

Surely there's a ton of peppers and spices from Indian/Southeast Asian cuisine that would be more easily available and serve decently in a pinch?

e: or is this more about how like jalapeños are pronounced "japaleenos" so nobody knows what you're talking about

It doesn't work, the flavor profile of the spices are just too different. Just makes the whole thing taste off.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/ZR5MY6X.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nettle Soup posted:

I feel like I could...

Like I could.... :lsd:

TAKE ON THE WORLD! :murder: