Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I watched Dune for the first time last night, I've never read the books. It was a messy film and a lot of the time I didn't understand what was going on but I didn't want to turn it off at any point. It was fascinating. I had to go and read a bit of lore on Wikipedia and that made it fall in place a bit more. As for the new film though, I see now Feyd in the cast and that's a shame because I thought Sting/Feyd was one of the best parts of Lynch's film. Someone told me it's meant to be a two-parter and Feyd doesn't show up that much in the first half of the book. But even so, how are they going to cast him as gloriously as in the old film? Just doesn't seem likely to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

THE BAR posted:

Dunno! Discworld novels tend to go for a tenner?

I don't read very varied. :shobon:

...?!?! There's a garden center near us does softbacks for 50p and hardbacks a quid, then there's a bargain bucket thats 10p a book? There's an Oxfam on the high street that only sells books, only for a quid? Down in Brighton there was a great second hand bookstore that would frequently have signed first editions for next to nothing.

How are you paying five pounds for a second hand Discworld book?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Grevling posted:

I watched Dune for the first time last night, I've never read the books. It was a messy film and a lot of the time I didn't understand what was going on but I didn't want to turn it off at any point. It was fascinating. I had to go and read a bit of lore on Wikipedia and that made it fall in place a bit more. As for the new film though, I see now Feyd in the cast and that's a shame because I thought Sting/Feyd was one of the best parts of Lynch's film. Someone told me it's meant to be a two-parter and Feyd doesn't show up that much in the first half of the book. But even so, how are they going to cast him as gloriously as in the old film? Just doesn't seem likely to me!

it's going to be sting again because he stopped aging in the early 90s

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Grevling posted:

Feyd and the baron both get introduced around the same time in the book iirc. I think they're sitting on the casting because it's gonna blow people's minds (also when I say I think I mean I hope)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Baron is the center of the chapter but feyd is in it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Thrift shop paperbacks are like 4 for $1 here. Granted it was 25 years ago, but I got a complete works of Shakespeare, hardcover, printed in 1900, for 50 cents.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Covers, you say? Here's the first one I read:

It's the Danish version, where they transliterated the title of the book.

If we're busting out translated versions, here's the Finnish one that I have on my shelf:

The moon language says "an adventure in the Sahara of space"

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 15, 2020

glickeroo
Nov 2, 2004

My collection before I Mari Kondo'ed away the duplicates. Oldest is I think the "Illustrated Dune" black-cover from 1978. I can take pictures of them and post later. The old Heretics/God Emporer in the top left are holding up my monitors right now.

Had a corner of a living room that I made a bookcase to fit. Didn't feel like staining, so instead covered it with pages from Dune.

Cool Dune copy found in Ukraine, I didn't buy it because hopefully someone else does.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
KLIT

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the woman’s face isn the desert

Is that Alia ? I’ve totally forgotten

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

glickeroo posted:

Cool Dune copy found in Ukraine, I didn't buy it because hopefully someone else does.

bepbert

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pretty good posted:

Here's the impressively bland paperback edition I bought when I finally got around to reading it like five years ago:

Duneanetics

euphronius posted:

Are you talking about Paul from the miniseries?

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 15, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

kiimo posted:

Duneanetics

Hol gently caress, you are right!

Time to join Sand Org!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Enturbulate this!

psyyyyyyyyy chiatry!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

whydirt posted:

The only acceptable version of Dune is a dog eared paperback from the 70s

that was the copy i read when i was 14

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dessert Planet

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Dune new is about 10€ here Discworld Hardcover was 19,paperback 14

Yeah, I thought you meant new, my bad.

I might've been hustled when I visited London 13 years ago, I was just a tourist amazed at finding English books at affordable prices.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Dessert Planet

Base of the parfait

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rappaport posted:

If we're busting out translated versions, here's the Finnish one that I have on my shelf:

The moon language says "an adventure in the Sahara of space"

I don"t remember Dune having giant floating turds

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pretty good posted:

Here's the impressively bland paperback edition I bought when I finally got around to reading it like five years ago:

This is the cover of my copy too. Bland as hell but not as awful as the European Kindle versions. They look like school religion textbooks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I remember Dune having giant floating turds in the thigh pads

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

[Klit Thread] [Thread about Frank Herbert's Klit]

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

[Klit Thread] [Thread about Frank Herbert's Klit]

[no @Klitauthor Zone]

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don"t remember Dune having giant floating turds

I mean the Barons a pretty central character my dude

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Aaronicon posted:

I mean the Barons a pretty central character my dude

I love how Thufir thinks the Baron is just a clod with money and no ability.

Come to think of it, once Piter is dead the Baron really is a lot less effective at plotting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

phasmid posted:

I love how Thufir thinks the Baron is just a clod with money and no ability.

Come to think of it, once Piter is dead the Baron really is a lot less effective at plotting.

It would have all worked perfectly but for the KH

Can’t blame him for that

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My name is a jilling word

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fly Molo posted:

congrats, you finally found it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pretty good posted:

Feyd and the baron both get introduced around the same time in the book iirc. I think they're sitting on the casting because it's gonna blow people's minds (also when I say I think I mean I hope)

I think keeping feyd for film two makes a lot of sense, and having rabban as the first films main antagonist

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I wouldn't cast Batista in that role and then NOT expand it, but that's just me

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

whydirt posted:

The only acceptable version of Dune is a dog eared paperback from the 70s

You're goddamn right friend

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rabban doesn’t do any more in the first half of the book than Feyd does. He is a good character and doesn’t need to be beefed up at all though. Much as I love Lynch Dune’s vision of him, it’s a caricature and not faithful to the book. But I think the movies would lose a lot by missing the baron’s plan to crush the Fremen and then send them a savior, and I don’t think I could buy Bautista and Chalamet both being Kwisatz Haderach candidates. So I hope it’s a secret casting or else a double role for Chalamet.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rabban isn't the Kwisatz Haderach candidate, that's Feyd.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Defiance Industries posted:

Rabban isn't the Kwisatz Haderach candidate, that's Feyd.

Yeah that’s my point, I don’t think it would be a good idea to combine the characters

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

If your first copy of Dune still has the cover then get the gently caress out of my face. I think this was originally my dad's

(forgive the lighting, my power just went out)

(also it's missing about half the Terminology of the Imperium bit after the appendixes)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mine specifically says if the cover is missing it’s stolen. I’m not at home otherwise i’d take a pic.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It had a cover when I first read it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FBS posted:

If your first copy of Dune still has the cover then get the gently caress out of my face. I think this was originally my dad's

(forgive the lighting, my power just went out)

(also it's missing about half the Terminology of the Imperium bit after the appendixes)

The first time I read it it didn't have a cover or the first few pages. I dropped into the gom jabbar scene immediately and had no idea what I was reading. True story

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

FBS posted:

Check my last post for the highly meh orange vista your dad (probably) fell in love with, from beloved author Rank Herbert.

(1976)

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

euphronius posted:

That's supposed to be the tomb of Leto I. They carved his head into a mountain and put his

As for books, I have never owned a copy of any Dune book because I read the series entirely on Kindle. I feel like this is heretical. It really is the kind of book that deserves either a beautiful hardback, or a beat to poo poo yellowed and tattered paperback.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

sniffed too many fumes and was abused by too many rich ladies.
So, where does one sign up to become a cobbler?

Joke Miriam fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 16, 2020