Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Argh, if you're going to take the time to pull out a chunk of code that's shared between two packages into a separate, common one, take another day to fully convert the originating packages to use the shared one or else things will just diverge again and require reconciling all three variants six months later when the work is taken back up. :bahgawd:

I swear I've seen a comic that touched on this, but I can't find it for the life of me.

I'm going to take a guess and say it was this https://xkcd.com/927/ .

Edit for new page:
Hmm seems like this app comes with an api, let me check how to use it:
code:
{
    "complex_modifications": {
        "parameters": {
        },
        "rules": [
            {
                "description": "This description is shown in Preferences.",
                "manipulators": [
                    {
                        "type": "basic",

"from": from event definition,

"to": [
                            to event definition,
                            to event definition,
                        ],

"description": "Optional description for human"
                    },
                    {
                    },
                ]
            },
            {
                "description": "...",
                ]
            },
        ]
    }
}

Why yes, nothing like declaring variable names/if statements in json...

Nude fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cugel the Clever posted:

Argh, if you're going to take the time to pull out a chunk of code that's shared between two packages into a separate, common one, take another day to fully convert the originating packages to use the shared one or else things will just diverge again and require reconciling all three variants six months later when the work is taken back up. :bahgawd:

I swear I've seen a comic that touched on this, but I can't find it for the life of me.

That's dumb, you don't need to reconcile the variants later. Just let them drift indefinitely, and keep adding additional drifting variants down the line whenever you get annoyed enough. (Or maybe a coworker will do it for you!) This is junior-grade stuff, come on.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Foxfire_ posted:

British Fact: They decided to add a y to the word 'tire' in the 1900s because they though it looked cool.

Yeah well you Webster users can criticise the English maintainers when you stop trying to push half-assed changes from your fork upstream. why the gently caress would you change the spelling of sulphur but leave phosphorus alone, pick a goddamn naming convention and refactor things properly

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
English should take French as an example and nominate a BDFL, instead of having a ton of local incompatible implementation flavours.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Nude posted:

I'm going to take a guess and say it was this https://xkcd.com/927/ .

Edit for new page:
Hmm seems like this app comes with an api, let me check how to use it:
code:
{
    "complex_modifications": {
        "parameters": {
        },
        "rules": [
            {
                "description": "This description is shown in Preferences.",
                    {

"from": from event definition,

"to": [
                            to event definition,
                            to event definition,
                        ],

"description": "Optional description for human"
                    },
                    {
                    },
                ]
            },
            {
                "description": "...",
                ]
            },
        ]
    }
}

Why yes, nothing like declaring variable names/if statements in json...

https://thedailywtf.com/articles/the-inner-json-effect

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
But Lisps are a horror because of parenthesis.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Today I discovered that the particular combination of terraform and vsphere we use for something apparently means that the network config file has to be a json document that contains a base64-encoded yaml document

I hate devops

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soricidus posted:

Today I discovered that the particular combination of terraform and vsphere we use for something apparently means that the network config file has to be a json document that contains a base64-encoded yaml document

I hate devops

Woah, you gotta future-proof it, be sure to encode this requirement in an XML file just in case!

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

I hate devops

F

Well, I mean, for those of us who are not you it's very funny

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Soricidus posted:

I hate devops

Burn it all to the ground

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Soricidus posted:

I hate devops

Name and shaaaaame

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Soricidus posted:

I hate devops

the other day I discovered a medical format HL7, was often used to transfer a PDF file inside xml

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tei posted:

the other day I discovered a medical format HL7, was often used to transfer a PDF file inside xml

pdf inside xml inside yaml inside json

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
You gotta think bigger than that.

That PDF needs to have some structured data in it, in a poorly formatted table, that you pull out with a series of custom regexes against an OCR text dump

(you might think I'm joking, but this is common enough that AWS sells a service for dealing with it)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Space Gopher posted:

You gotta think bigger than that.

That PDF needs to have some structured data in it, in a poorly formatted table, that you pull out with a series of custom regexes against an OCR text dump

(you might think I'm joking, but this is common enough that AWS sells a service for dealing with it)

you can probably write simple apps using the limited javascript you can embed on PDF-Forms

https://www.evermap.com/javascript.asp#Title:%20Extract%20email%20addresses

the limitation is that probably less than 10% would work consistently

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 15, 2020

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Tei posted:

you can probably write simple apps using the limited javascript you can embed on PDF-Forms

https://www.evermap.com/javascript.asp#Title:%20Extract%20email%20addresses

the limitation is that probably less than 10% would work consistently

You can do a lot of things in PDF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADlGlFGAdiY

Maybe they've changed some of this by now?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Kilson posted:

If they changed anything it's to add more languages/runtimes.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Kilson posted:

PDF

changed some of this?

:lol:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Kilson posted:

Browsers are a lovely enviroment, just imagine whatever PDF viewer the user use to view the document. Chrome internal pdf viewer, a old version of Adobe, a light pdf viewer they installed...

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Tei posted:

Browsers are a lovely enviroment, just imagine whatever PDF viewer the user use to view the document. Chrome internal pdf viewer, a old version of Adobe, a light pdf viewer they installed...
How about the browser embedded in Outlook?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

SupSuper posted:

How about the browser embedded in Outlook?

You may try to shutdown the energy system and hammer the computer until is only a gray paste mixed with metal parts.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 16, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I figure this thread is probably better for bitching about dumb co-workers than the Working in Development thread...

So we have a React app that we have hosted on a DigitalOcean droplet, it's nothing fancy. But the off-shore guy comes to me any time there's an error and is always quick to blame my server whenever things go wrong.

This time, it's a pretty standard JS error in the console, preventing any React rendering, that only happens with the prod version of the React app. I personally think this is probably just some bad dependency version or something like that.

So this off-shore guy's hypothesis is the following:

1. The dev version of the React app works fine on the server,
2. The build script for the React app succeeds without error,
3. The built version of the React app, built on another server, in another Node.js environment entirely, works on that server.
4. Therefore, because his server uses Apache and mine uses Nginx, it's, uh, Nginx's fault.

:psyduck:

I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I'm going to guess that Nginx is not interfering with the local JavaScript execution of a bone-standard CRA app...

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 20, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You should deploy your client-side js to a cdn instead

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Fool posted:

You should deploy your client-side js to a cdn instead

I should mention this is a dev/test environment, we will do something like that when we're eventually ready to deploy a real production environment, yes.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
That error looks more like a build configuration problem than anything else (if it's working elsewhere at least), so yeah, your co-worker is probably stupid. Long shot but maybe some cache busting isn't working right and it didn't actually deploy the correct files?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As far as I can tell it’s a side effect of a specific dependency and a webpack uglify plugin. I know it does work so it’s just a matter of figuring out what versions work properly.

Just going to nuke the project folder and reinitialize everything, I’m not sure what they did but I noticed the file permissions got messed up at some point.

I really need a proper CI/CD setup for this eventually.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I have encountered errors where obscure combinations of headers and configs between nginx and Apache caused poo poo like that to break so I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it certainly wouldn't be my first guess

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
oh no

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

how the gently caress do you do enough google to get that to work yet never come across win32's outputdebugstring()?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

how the gently caress do you do enough google to get that to work yet never come across win32's outputdebugstring()?

Doesn't that only work if it's a debug build?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

This sin must be purged from the land.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k238XpMMn38

Tag yourselves, I'm

code:
// this is bad, dumb code, and more importantly it's bad
// dumb code that doesn't make any sense here

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The codebase at my old job is like 25+ years old at this point, so there was an eventual project to remove comments like that.

The PR for that was like, 250 files, and nearly 1400 LOC changed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Protocol7 posted:

The codebase at my old job is like 25+ years old at this point, so there was an eventual project to remove comments like that.

The PR for that was like, 250 files, and nearly 1400 LOC changed.

Pretty sure the project I work on has a code file with a comment at the top that says "may God have mercy on your soul." It also periodically emails my boss Barry Manilow lyrics.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Pretty sure the project I work on has a code file with a comment at the top that says "may God have mercy on your soul." It also periodically emails my boss Barry Manilow lyrics.

do

*clears throat, lowers voice*

do the emails, correspond in some way, to events your boss wants to know about, or in any way convey useful information to them

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, there's a file I wrote which has a comment citing Dante's inscription on the door of Hell, and describing in sickening detail why the code does the lovely things it does.
It became necessary when we ported our application from HP-UX to Linux and deals with shared library initialization, and that's all I'm going to say.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Loezi posted:

Tag yourselves, I'm

code:
// this is bad, dumb code, and more importantly it's bad
// dumb code that doesn't make any sense here
I'm definitely
code:
// I don't know why, I don't want to know why, I shouldn't have to wonder why,
// but for whatever reason we have to do this terribleness

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Doesn't that only work if it's a debug build?

it works in release too. there's a tool dbgview.exe you can use to monitor the output. if you run dbgview.exe to monitor the use of outputdebugstring you can often see debug traces from apps where the developer didn't know this (and you should be SUSPICIOUS of these apps.)

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 22, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

code:
// This place is not a place of honor.  
// No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
//
// What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. 
// The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

code:
// This place is not a place of honor.  
// No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
//
// What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. 
// The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
Too bad!