Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Everything about the Philosophy thread makes me so fuckin' grateful for my group, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Everything about the Philosophy thread makes me so fuckin' grateful for my group, jesus christ.
It may be because we're in the same group, but incredibly :same:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

People can’t stand that you can have sex in a game. They couldn’t when AW came out and it’s either the same people arguing or new people joining the endless cycle of “don’t use it if you don’t like it”.

I spent more than a couple minutes looking at that chat and wondering why I felt so hostile about it, until I realized that everyone who seemed scandalized by sex moves reminds me of my tedious sex-negative parents.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm always confused by how so many people arguing about sex moves seem to think AW is the first game that brought sex to the table. Even if you didn't play at one of those tables where the adventurers blowing all their money on prostitutes was considered to be a cute punchline and where female PCs were likely to be sexually threatened or harassed, a lot of content for traditional RPGs is already sexual. Half the pregenerated D&D modules I've read have had a succubus (I swear to God that "your module must contain a succubus disguising herself as a helpless female prisoner who seduces her 'rescuers'" was a submission requirement for Dungeon), along with a dizzying number of female monsters whose gimmick was "seduces dudes to murder them and/or bear a monster baby," and of course the connection between male monstrous humanoids and sexual violence is well-trodden and gross. It's hard not to feel like what people are really objecting to with the sex moves in AW is the concept of sex as a thing PCs seek out (instead of having inflicted upon them) and with non-trivial emotional consequences (not just a roll on the Brothel Table).

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

I'm always confused by how so many people arguing about sex moves seem to think AW is the first game that brought sex to the table. Even if you didn't play at one of those tables where the adventurers blowing all their money on prostitutes was considered to be a cute punchline and where female PCs were likely to be sexually threatened or harassed, a lot of content for traditional RPGs is already sexual. Half the pregenerated D&D modules I've read have had a succubus (I swear to God that "your module must contain a succubus disguising herself as a helpless female prisoner who seduces her 'rescuers'" was a submission requirement for Dungeon), along with a dizzying number of female monsters whose gimmick was "seduces dudes to murder them and/or bear a monster baby," and of course the connection between male monstrous humanoids and sexual violence is well-trodden and gross. It's hard not to feel like what people are really objecting to with the sex moves in AW is the concept of sex as a thing PCs seek out (instead of having inflicted upon them) and with non-trivial emotional consequences (not just a roll on the Brothel Table).

Well, I think the content you've described is one reason that a lot of people react badly to sex moves in AW. The traditional experience of sex coming up in a TTRPG is awful at best and assault at worst, so a game that puts sex right in its rules triggers the same response.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Have you considered that some might be reacting poorly to AW's sex moves precisely because of how those previous games handled sex? If you're used to sex in RPGs being gross and/or rapey, it's not that hard to see sex moves in AW and assume it's more immature skeevy bullshit. Which, for the record, I do not.

Edit: Well, like minds, I guess.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Seconding the two posts above this, but also

Antivehicular posted:

It's hard not to feel like what people are really objecting to with the sex moves in AW is the concept of sex as a thing PCs seek out (instead of having inflicted upon them) and with non-trivial emotional consequences (not just a roll on the Brothel Table).

Part of the discomfort is about sex with consequences, for sure.

The people who giggle at roll on the harlot table / succubus in room 6 / spent the reward on ale and whores are as uncomfortable with this as the people who are uncomfortable with them.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Guess the playbook.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does anyone have any good youtube or podcast suggestions for getting into The Sprawl? I'm thinking of running it, I haven't run but I've played in a PbtA game before, I find watching or listening to an actual game makes it easier for me to get into the mindset.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I finish a campaign of Transit a month or so back.

Good: It's simply cool that PCs are not playing a single splatbook but the intersection of two different whole things: AI & Chassis. I played a Combat AI using a Corvette - the smallest and lightest armed shiptype. Seemingly unintuitive, this meant that I was like a ramming knife, it was fantastic.

It's also good that the PCs are at weird intersections on power - you're a ship, and while you are, like all PbTA protagonists, extremely powerful, you're also quite dependent on both your base of operations and your own crew.

Bad: The rules are contradictory. We asked the devs and they said to just use the earliest version of a given rule, which was helpful, but it's still not great that the reference sections are effectively unusable because they give straight-up different rules from earlier sections.

Lack of focus. "Spaceships as PCs" is pretty specific, but the differences between a Raadchai, Starfleet, and Culture ship are enormous. There winds up being a lot of tearing in the scales of different mechanics, most of which are exacerbated rather than helped by the population numbers given. Raadch aren't mentioned but I think they're the actual closest in terms of how ships act, relate to their crew, and relate to Mission Control. Culture has the most heavy-handed inspiration, but ship populations are referred to in the dozens to low hundreds, not the high hundreds of millions.

The problem becomes actively gamebreaking with the rules for Mission Control, which attempts to be everything at once: free-form and restrictive, a comprehensive mission generator that can be ignored, the main means by which the MC does MC moves on the players but also just another NPC, a source of MC moves that can do player moves (including dying).

Overall it was a good campaign, I'd recommend Transit for shorter run campaigns (4-10 sessions). I think it could be adapted to a 1 Shot with just a few parts scrubbed, but I pretty much never do 1 shots so I don't want to speak on something I don't really understand.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Running a game of Spirit of '77 on Discord and the Good Old Boy is rolling with +5 on his car chase rolls, holy poo poo. I knew they were good at driving, but I never added up all the numbers before.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Running a game of Spirit of '77 on Discord and the Good Old Boy is rolling with +5 on his car chase rolls, holy poo poo. I knew they were good at driving, but I never added up all the numbers before.

Max is plus four in PBTA.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Oh weird, I must have missed that. Thanks!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Golden Bee posted:

Max is plus four in PBTA.

Depends on the game. Apocalypse World has no limit, Masks has +4, and the first edition of Monsterhearts specified you could have +5 max, but the second edition doesn't mention a limit. I haven't played Spirit of '77 but I'd check to see if a limit is given in the rules.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I hope that chart makes sense - basically, what is your +roll and what is the % chance you'll get a 10+, 7-9, or 6-. I've never even heard somebody mention +8 but it made the chart go from 0% success to 100% success.

As you can tell, +5 is when failure ceases to be an option.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ugh, all that chart does is remind me that my least favorite part about PBTA is how stupid narrow the curve is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Oh weird, I must have missed that. Thanks!
Beats all you never saw.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zurui posted:

Ugh, all that chart does is remind me that my least favorite part about PBTA is how stupid narrow the curve is.

PBTA is...not granular.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

Beats all you never saw.

That's why he's been in trouble with the law since the day he was baw.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zurui posted:

If you want granular results and rolls, pick another system.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Though there are iterations that take a different route. Stuff like Dream Askew eschews dice entirely. And then as descendant you have the Forged in the Dark stuff where you instead roll a d6 dice pool - a little more granularity, while at the same time making it possible (though unlikely) to fail even with large pools.

For those unfamiliar, you roll a number of d6s equal to your rating, and then check the highest die. A 6 is a success, a 4 or 5 is a mixed result.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

After 2 months in shipping limbo, my Fellowship: In Rebellion book came today! Very psyched to have my full set.

Now to wait for Book 4!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm thinking about running Legacy 2E. (I'm also thinking about porting it to Cortex Prime, but that's a separate question.)

What resources should I be aware of? I've read the book, cover to cover. I've assembled a decent collection of PbtA books, though my only experience (outside of the separate Forged in the Dark family) with getting PbtA to the table was a decent-length game of Dungeon World.

Are there compelling playthroughs? Reviews? Anything outside the book and general knowledge I should know going in?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
If you haven't already, get and read Apocalypse World. It explains a ton of stuff that follow-on games don't always.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ilor posted:

If you haven't already, get and read Apocalypse World. It explains a ton of stuff that follow-on games don't always.

For the lazy:

http://apocalypse-world.com/previews/AW1E.zip

The 1st edition is currently free through the official site, and the chapter on MC advice is probably the best advice for DMs/STs/MCs in any system, period.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thank you!

I have read

* Apocalypse World (1E & 2E)
* Dungeon World (run ~15 sessions)
* Monsterhearts, Masks, The Sprawl (all in passing)
* Fellowship 2E (in depth read)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Some questions about Legacy as I dig in...

- Family Trials and Fortunes (Turning of the Age) - the stats only seem to go up. Does this make the game tenable in the long run? How many ages do Legacy games usually run for?
- So a character can start with any combination of basic gear? And they can start with Followers 0 if they want? In the example of chargen, the character decides to start with Followers; their family gets none and they get +2 Quality because they're an Elder. So any character could, in theory, start with Quality 0 Followers? How do they narratively pursue more?
- One of my players asked about Backer Playbooks. I haven't looked at them yet. How are they? How risky to allow them in a first game where we're bad at assessing their relative narrative juice / mechanical weight? - Apparently these were playbooks in Engine of Life / The End, which I don't have, so moot.
- Can I create a Family playbook during character creation as a Faction? (Both as an example, and also so players have a Faction built into their history.)

Edit:

quote:

At some point you may want to bring the game to a close – Legacy is designed to run for between a couple and a half dozen ages, and there’s only so long you can improve the post-apocalyptic world before it becomes something else.

McJanda answered my first question.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 2, 2020

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've seen people saying that Legacy campaigns generally last 8-10 generations, but I haven't been in one myself.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The only backer playbook that I'd be wary of is the Stranded Starfarers. My impression is that they're more powerful than the others, and I think the idea is that that is supposed to make people want to gang up against them?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

paradoxGentleman posted:

The only backer playbook that I'd be wary of is the Stranded Starfarers. My impression is that they're more powerful than the others, and I think the idea is that that is supposed to make people want to gang up against them?

They're in the core book! But duly noted.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Just an FYI, Legacy's designer has changed her name.

https://twitter.com/minahoneybat/status/1253599908533276672

She's also updated the Voidheart Symphony to 0.5 on her itch.io page, can't wait to see what's changed.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thank you - duly noted.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Took a look at the Glitter Hearts book in the big itch.io bundle since I was excited to see a game that I could potentally use to try and run a super sentai/magical girl-type game. Unfortunately it looks like it took more of its cues from Dungeon World than from, say, Apocalypse World such as having granular HP (10+stat), XP (+XP when you roll 6- with some advancements requiring more than one stack of XP), and its own version of the Defy Danger move. It's still probably fine enough to run, but is there a PBtA game that also runs this genre that might have a tighter design?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
It's Forged in the Dark instead of Powered by the Apocalypse and isn't released yet, but there's Girl by Moonlight, which might be worth checking out.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Was it this thread where people were talking about a game about revolutionaries (or maybe just criminals?) in the rural not-USA? I vaguely remember it being mentioned somewhere in this forum but I can't find it anywhere.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Copperhead County? It's a Blades spin off but it's basically that premise.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Was it this thread where people were talking about a game about revolutionaries (or maybe just criminals?) in the rural not-USA? I vaguely remember it being mentioned somewhere in this forum but I can't find it anywhere.

Sounds like Ruralpunk (formerly known as Karma in the Dark, on the Forged in the Dark engine as well), perhaps?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks! It was Copperhead County, but Ruralpunk sounds like extremely my poo poo.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

So I've never actually understood what the hell the Skinner is supposed to actually be - like, what post-apocalyptic archetype do they actually represent? What's their niche in the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

So I've never actually understood what the hell the Skinner is supposed to actually be - like, what post-apocalyptic archetype do they actually represent? What's their niche in the genre?