Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Captainsalami posted:

How bigs the flame? My bf is worried we'll get in trouble is all, trying to put him at ease.

Without a wok on it won’t sustain a flame more than 2-3 inches. With a wok on and flame on high it wraps around the sides and is nearly invisible in daylight.

The flame is intensely hot, but not huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

She has a much stronger accent than Wang Gang.

Wang Gang actually lived in Zhuhai a lot of his adolescence and speaks Cantonese as well so (I saw an interview with him on another Chinese channel) he probably lost some of the Sichuan twang at that point in his life, or at least learned to speak more standard Mandarin as many Chinese people do. When he speaks directly to his uncle his accent increases in intensity like 10x from when he's narrating to the audience, though.

e: getting more into it Qierwa specifically has a southern Sichuan accent, so I'd guess shes just a kid from near Zigong where Wang Gang films these. One of the telltale signs of this is her "r" isn't as distinct from "l" as other Sichuanese people, or as it is in standard mandarin. I have some friends from Yibin, a city right next to Zigong, and they do the same.

She generally speaks 川普 though, which (strongly) Sichuan-accented Mandarin. Siboye on the other hand speaks full out Zigong-style Sichuanhua that even some of my friends from Chengdu or Chongqing have a hard time understanding.

For anyone who doesn't know MK speaks excellent Chinese.

I visited Yibin and thought it was a good city. Would visit again. I got pneumonia there though.

I quite enjoy the Sichuan accent, maybe just brings back memories. I now live in Georgia and the local accent is less mellifluous.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

large hands posted:

Is there a good wok burner that hooks up to a BBQ style propane tank? Our deck is right outside the kitchen and it would be awesome to do wokking outside in the summer.

I'm waffling between getting a Wokmon or going with an outdoor arrangement. Cheaper and keeping the fumes outside is pushing me to the latter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pMDLGRfolI

Does anyone know why Sichuan cooking videos for egg fried rice and egg fried noodles always start by cooking the crap out of the eggs and then keep the eggs in the pan for the whole cooking process? Cantonese videos have you add corn starch to the eggs and remove them from the pan as they set. The first way doesn't make sense to me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Magna Kaser posted:

One note about soy sauce is light soy is used like 90% of the time and any generic soy sauce you buy that's not otherwise labeled can be used as this. Dark soy sauce is thicker, darker and actually less salty. It's almost exclusively used to color dishes and how many chinese braises get hat distinctive brown/red coloring. It can almost always be skipped if a recipe calls for it.
Reddit can't handle this truth! What's funny is that I actually like the flavor of dark soy sauce a lot and I would almost always feel bad if I had to skip it. That's probably because I don't cook meat, and I think the recipes where it's like 100% there for color are in a large part the braising recipes.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Reddit can't handle this truth! What's funny is that I actually like the flavor of dark soy sauce a lot and I would almost always feel bad if I had to skip it. That's probably because I don't cook meat, and I think the recipes where it's like 100% there for color are in a large part the braising recipes.

I like it to and won't skip it but it is hard to find outside of Asia, it's even rare in Taiwan where they use that weird thick/sweet soy sauce I forget the actual name of. I even add laochou to a lot of rando recipes just cuz why not.

And yeah it's essential to get that classic reddish color every braised Chinese dish has.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm making a recipe that I just realize calls for sweet bean paste. I don't have that but do have black beans and pin xian doubanjiang. Can I substitute either of those in?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Carillon posted:

I'm making a recipe that I just realize calls for sweet bean paste. I don't have that but do have black beans and pin xian doubanjiang. Can I substitute either of those in?

No

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nope, neither are at all similar to tianmianjiang. Hoisin is the closest substitute.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks, I'll use hoisin and keep an eye out for the paste when things reopen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hoisin is sweeter so use a little less. What are you making?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
If you're making bean buns or something I wouldn't use hoisin, but if the sweet paste is just a minor flavoring ingredient it might sub ok

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

wait what are we talking about? tianmianjiang is sometimes localized as sweet bean paste but is not really sweet at all, it's often subbed for with soy sauce in a lot of places. this is a big thing with hui guo rou in particular where it's made with tianmianjiang in sichuan and soy sauce in other areas and sichuanese people get really uppity about this.

red bean paste is also sometime sweet bean paste in english and is super fuckin different obv.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If red beans was what was meant then I'm looking forward to the hilarious results of using hoisin.

This is why I hate when English translations are used, there is no consistency. Best part of Fuchsia Dunlop's books is she includes Chinese for everything so I know what she's actually talking about.

(hui guo rou must have tianmianjiang)

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

If red beans was what was meant then I'm looking forward to the hilarious results of using hoisin.

This is why I hate when English translations are used, there is no consistency. Best part of Fuchsia Dunlop's books is she includes Chinese for everything so I know what she's actually talking about.

(hui guo rou must have tianmianjiang)

While that does help, there can still be a problem when it comes to the added hurdle of Traditional and Simplified Chinese. Just recently, I tried to introduce my dad to Duo Jiao and, being born and raised in Taiwan, he was not familiar with it and couldn't read the 剁 in 剁椒 so I don't even know how to properly pronounce it.

Still better than butchered English and helpful for searching for correct packaged ingredients and sauces.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'd settle for being able to understand any of it better. Youtube has been very helpful in being able to actually learn and use some of these other ingredients in the ways they're most often used, but even then it's not perfect. I don't have the ability to really go and learn these things anywhere from people who know, so that's as close as I'll get. It did help me stop using the salted 'shaoxing' wine that's sold as cooking wine in the US and just start replacing it with sake (because that's as close as I can get without added salt). So much easier to balance the seasoning. I'm still limited heavily in reading any Chinese ingredient labels, but some is better than none.

I'm also pretty sure I'll have to make dumplings a hundred more times until I actually figure out how to close them anywhere close to looking good in only 2 or 3 ways. At least I get to eat the mistakes?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Hoisin is sweeter so use a little less. What are you making?

Was thinking to make Zhajiangmian from Dunlop's every grain of rice. I confirmed in the back that she is talking about tian mian jiang. Usually I'd just go out and get what was needed but with the shelter-in-lace and a miscommunication on the shopping list with my partner we found ourselves with everything but the paste. I had done a quick google and saw fermented soy was included so thought I might get away with using another fermented soy product. Thanks for the information.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Edward IV posted:

While that does help, there can still be a problem when it comes to the added hurdle of Traditional and Simplified Chinese. Just recently, I tried to introduce my dad to Duo Jiao and, being born and raised in Taiwan, he was not familiar with it and couldn't read the 剁 in 剁椒 so I don't even know how to properly pronounce it.

Still better than butchered English and helpful for searching for correct packaged ingredients and sauces.

Any hanzi dictionary will have both traditional and simplified though, so it's not a big deal unless you're staring at a label at a store and don't have a phone. It'd be annoying back in the day though.

Carillon posted:

Was thinking to make Zhajiangmian from Dunlop's every grain of rice. I confirmed in the back that she is talking about tian mian jiang. Usually I'd just go out and get what was needed but with the shelter-in-lace and a miscommunication on the shopping list with my partner we found ourselves with everything but the paste. I had done a quick google and saw fermented soy was included so thought I might get away with using another fermented soy product. Thanks for the information.

Yeah, that uses tianmianjiang. However, zhajiangmian is one of those things with a billion ways to make it (the name is literally like "miscellaneous bits noodles" IIRC) so you could sub doubanjiang for a spicy one, or hoisin/soy for something closer to her recipe. My favorite zhajiangmian was chicken soupy with a pile of fried ground pork on top.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

im gonna make mapo tofu 2nite just thought id share.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

im gonna make mapo tofu 2nite just thought id share.

I did this last night after reading this thread. First time I've ever eaten something with Sichuan peppercorns. It made me happy!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i made serious eats' mapo beans and it was v good

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i made too much and brought it to work to share with my coworkers they all liked it.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I bought that propane burner linked back there in the thread, any tips to not kill myself cooking on it will be much appreciated.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Thanks thread, now I'm addicted to Wangs vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opSiomnDEQo

this may be the most oil I've ever seen used in any recipe, holy poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's a decent amount of oil but not unusual for Sichuan.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I suppose there's a reason every corner store in China has a whole shelf of 10L jugs of cooking oil.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I suppose there's a reason every corner store in China has a whole shelf of 10L jugs of cooking oil.

To be fair, my grocery stores in Chicago also have stacks of large bottles of oil. Mostly corn oil and vegetable oil, and they top out at about 2 gallons, so a little smaller.

If I had a better space for it I’d probably fry like that more often too. It just tends to make too much of a mess that I’d rather not clean up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not on the same scale. If you want to buy a bottle of cooking oil in China under two liters you really have to search. Big five liter ones with chunky handles were the standard. The majority of real Chinese cooking uses heroic amounts of oil, it's just the way it is.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not on the same scale. If you want to buy a bottle of cooking oil in China under two liters you really have to search. Big five liter ones with chunky handles were the standard. The majority of real Chinese cooking uses heroic amounts of oil, it's just the way it is.
Grocery store closest to me only sells peanut oil in 24 fl. oz. (about 0.7 l) bottles, which makes me meshuggeh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SubG posted:

Grocery store closest to me only sells peanut oil in 24 fl. oz. (about 0.7 l) bottles, which makes me meshuggeh.

rip

The oil matters too, even though you aren't eating most of it. The first time I made hui guo rou I looked at the amount of oil, said yikes, and made it with a lot less. Didn't turn out great. Second time, same recipe but I used all the oil and it was perfect and delicious. I don't know why more neutral flavored oil changes the flavor of the food so much, but it does.

After eating a delivery dinner in China I'd pour all the oil together into one container for disposal and I'd have at least 250 ml of it every time. And that was from ordering like, three things.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Spuckuk posted:

his stuff is so good

I am not a fan of any tripe or intestines dishes, but I would at least try that.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Anyone got any advice on how to source a poo poo ton of cheap ramen noodles? Just plain so i can make lazy stir fries on days i work late.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

man, as a mostly white dude that poo poo is wild

i've been digging this dude's videos lately too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmCIhj7yzwmkPEIbip2KSA

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Captainsalami posted:

Anyone got any advice on how to source a poo poo ton of cheap ramen noodles? Just plain so i can make lazy stir fries on days i work late.
Depends where you live!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

If you want to buy a bottle of cooking oil in China under two liters you really have to search

not sure about the veracity of this statement my dude. never really remember being to a supermarket in china that didnt have 1 liter bottles a plenty

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Captainsalami posted:

If you mean the instant stuff, Ottogi sells blocks without the seasoning packets. Otherwise, I usually have a pile of indomie mi goreng packs that I mostly discard the seasoning packets when cooking. Around me they're like 25-50 cents a pack and nice filler.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Grand Fromage posted:

rip

The oil matters too, even though you aren't eating most of it. The first time I made hui guo rou I looked at the amount of oil, said yikes, and made it with a lot less. Didn't turn out great. Second time, same recipe but I used all the oil and it was perfect and delicious. I don't know why more neutral flavored oil changes the flavor of the food so much, but it does.

I noticed this too. My suspicion is there is only so much flavor from all the ingredients that can stick to the pork, but with more oil they dissolve into that as well. It might be similar to how you want to use fatty ground pork for mapo tofu because the fat will take on a lot of the flavors from the other ingredients.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Another of my favorite Sichuan foods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSSpKHQX2l4

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Depends where you live!

I live near Cincinatti if that helps. Decently sized city at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Do these count?

Pork/spring onion potstickers.

I need to go to the local Asian market and pick up a poo poo load of ingredients, you can't get anything authentic from takeaways here.