Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Nineball posted:

To my credit I didn't mean to get the edit, I'm just slow to the draw

Honestly, not quite sure what you mean here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

GalacticAcid posted:

I will 100% not be watching it, I’m sure it’s garbage. But Netflix stuff has a way of totally dominating temporary Content Zeitgeists so I’d be curious to read about which historiography it’s pushing if a good analysis like that comes along

i'll watch it and let u know

but its wildly ahistorical

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Pomeroy posted:

Now there, we agree, Losurdo is solid. Liberalism; a Counter History, has been impressing me.

Read his Stalin book next!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
https://thecharnelhouse.org/2017/05/15/dont-bother-reading-settlers-by-j-sakai

Lol did people really demand monetary compensation from this guy?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Plutonis posted:

Something that doesn't get much traction on western media about Chinese ethnic relations is that there's an undercurrent of Han resentment over perceived favoritism by the CCP over minorities due to affirmative action taken on national exams for the universities and public jobs as well as lower tax burdens and other "entitlements", including even not being subject to the One Child Policy.

This is slightly surprising because that could be an angle that would work to get conservatives even more riled up at the Chinese government: "They're reverse racist just like our crazy liberal government!"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Continuity RCP posted:

that blog post from the leftcom guy is really a "stay for the comments" kind of piece

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

GalacticAcid posted:

I will 100% not be watching it, I’m sure it’s garbage. But Netflix stuff has a way of totally dominating temporary Content Zeitgeists so I’d be curious to read about which historiography it’s pushing if a good analysis like that comes along

The opening train sex scene is bonkers.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

that blog post from the leftcom guy is really a "stay for the comments" kind of piece

My favourite is the guy calling the guy who doesn't claim to be maoist "not a maoist"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's really got everything. also the phrase "blood-gargling trot imbecile," and that's when you know you've got to crack your knuckles and settle in for a slapfight

or more like a great pie fight where everybody including the cooks join in. maoists. trots shouting defend the red fortress and throwing knives at pictures of stalin. there's even a neo-nazi who was mentioned in the post who shows up to try and defend himself by saying yes he really DOES hate jews for racial reasons.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 14, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's really got everything. also the phrase "blood-gargling trot imbecile," and that's when you know you've got to crack your knuckles and settle in for a slapfight

or more like a great pie fight where everybody including the cooks join in. maoists. trots shouting defend the red fortress and throwing knives at pictures of stalin. there's even a neo-nazi who was mentioned in the post who shows up to try and defend himself by saying yes he really DOES hate jews for racial reasons.

:eyepop:

this is how you know my political awakening was pretty drat recent, because I've not been enmeshed in the years of weird online leftist slapfights and I don't plan to be. I didn't even realize the settler's site was a (former) goon project.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Continuity RCP posted:

the rhizzone had a lot of fun with that nerd

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Famethrowa posted:

this is how you know my political awakening was pretty drat recent, because I've not been enmeshed in the years of weird online leftist slapfights and I don't plan to be. I didn't even realize the settler's site was a (former) goon project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZgCmQBEv9E

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Famethrowa posted:

you really dont have to take part to enjoy the absurdity of argumentation. i cant avoid finding that poo poo as anything but another sympthom of hyperreality forcing absurd conclusions from obsolete ideological terminology

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
You don't have to know anything or take a side to enjoy lefty battle royale

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Continuity RCP posted:

You don't have to know anything or take a side to enjoy lefty battle royale

Who's the Ninja of leftist microsect slap fights?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

MizPiz posted:

Who's the Ninja of leftist microsect slap fights?

I'm going for the other reference

THS
Sep 15, 2017

see and this is why reading and having read books is bad

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

THS posted:

see and this is why reading and having read books is bad

compelling point tbh

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm raising my children to be unable to read. However, they will learn the works of Marx and Lenin as part of an oral tradition.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

understanding the dialectic purely as an intuitive, illiterate phenomena would be incredibly powerful. a generation of shamanic marxists

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it is known

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

speaking of reading and oral traditions. back when i was drunk on labour day i talked about zapatistas here and someone asked me about where to read more about them and my own knowledge comes from various sources and researching stuff for conversations with other like-minded peeps in the past. so I would have a hard time to give you a good and unbiased reading list.

Anyway, trying to find a good book to recommend that would be a good look into it (that I could read myself and have a more thorough understanding, too!) I found a book "Luchas 'muy otras'" recommended. It appears to be only in Spanish, but that's fine for me, as I need something to read to brush up my own spanish. At the same time, in a very apt way when talking about egalitarian anarchism, it's actually a collaborative tome by researchers and people entrenched in that culture, both in the past and in the present. And thanks to being in the native language of these people, it helps incorporate an element of unity that they share - an indigenous Mesoamerican component that often eludes more 'detached' analysis.

Anyway, once I finish my current backlog of spanish-language stuff I'd get to it at some point, and probably it would be a good exercise to sharpen my spanish to create some summaries and share them. Would people here be interested in a Let's Read thread like that when I do?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
All I know about Zapatistas is their coffee is good

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

All I know about Zapatistas is their coffee is good

if I drank coffee I'd definitely spring for some

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

dex_sda posted:

if I drank coffee I'd definitely spring for some

You could buy me some.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

dex_sda posted:

Anyway, once I finish my current backlog of spanish-language stuff I'd get to it at some point, and probably it would be a good exercise to sharpen my spanish to create some summaries and share them. Would people here be interested in a Let's Read thread like that when I do?
Sure, sounds like an interesting subject.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

dex_sda posted:

Yes, I also think posting them in here would work too

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Yes, I also think posting them in here would work too

I thought about it, there's certainly potential for very interesting discussion here, just don't want to threadshit too much in the thread that's probably got the best ortho marxism discussions. we'll see how it goes when I get to it (which won't be for a few weeks at least)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lumpy posted:

You could buy me some.

where is it sold?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1261140205286813697?s=19

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

where is it sold?

in europe it's sold by local shops that support the zapatistas and organise locally for the (nominal) extra fees from what I can see. dunno about the US

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

that said if someone figures out a way to get it via like a gift card so it's not very complicated and/or personal data problematic I can spring for some coffee for a goon, why not :)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Would very much like to wake up one morning soon, check the news, and discover that Elon Musk is no longer with us

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
do the Zapatistas sell/ship anything besides coffee? do they have a way for me to buy it from my internet-enabled telephone.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

GalacticAcid posted:

Would very much like to wake up one morning soon, check the news, and discover that Elon Musk is no longer with us

he will be on mars soon enough

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Top City Homo posted:

he will be on mars soon enough

spread across several square miles of the surface, with any luck

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

indigi posted:

spread across several square miles of the surface, with any luck

that was the implication

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
great, promethean musk terraforms mars and guides an entire planet’s evolution

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

indigi posted:

do the Zapatistas sell/ship anything besides coffee? do they have a way for me to buy it from my internet-enabled telephone.
I went to chack at my local zapatista reseller and found something funny.

Öl für das Getriebe der Bewegung:

(fair trade native olive) Oil for the gears of the movement. :ussr:
e: the oil is from Cretan co-ops, not mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Centrist Committee posted:

great, promethean musk terraforms mars and guides an entire planet’s evolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI