Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

have we seen Indian coats of arms yet, are they still garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The 1066 counties map looks really pretty, imo. I hope we get an option to explode everything down to a counts-only start.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSH0v_DAE6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M9qKVCl6HQ

Some CK3 video from IGN.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I hope I'm missing something, because having to right-click your armies into a tiny capitol barony to siege a county down looks extremely annoying.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

We've all been there.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Can't wait for the loverslab mods so I can start breeding my dynasty for realistically depicted monster dongs.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
"Poganstvo" is some weird name for Slavic religion, because it literally means just "paganism", it's derived from Latin and it's derogatory. Not that I am aware of some more proper name, maybe just Slavic.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 15, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anno posted:

The 1066 counties map looks really pretty, imo. I hope we get an option to explode everything down to a counts-only start.

Yeah, this looks amazing. I'm definitely doing a standard Catholic playthrough first, but after that, there are soooo many options. Probably Africa or East Asia? I'm extremely hyped for CK3.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yeah, as an East Slav I was surprised by this too. It's how you say Paganism in Polish or Belarusian or Ukrainian. In Russian it actually transformed to mean bad, filthy. Anyway, they could use the term Yazichestvo which is used in Russian and Ukrainian. But it probably historically meant "foreign" or "heathen". I doubt Slavic Pagans used any of those terms themselves but it's probably a common issue with faiths. I bet most of Christians just call themselves Christians. A term like "Orthodox" or "Catholic" are mostly used for convenience sake, like both of those terms more or less mean "true one". We usually call polytheistic beliefs by their culture name, like Germanic, Scandinavian, Hinduist, Hellenic. They probably switched from that to not have direct connections between culture and religion.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 15, 2020

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of some of the religion names either. Vidilist instead of Romuva? The only google result for that is from CK related stuff. I realize that using modern and often neopagan terms can be problematic but I think there is value in using recognizable names like romuva and slavic.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I really hope they have a baked in colourblind mode because some of that was tricky to parse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm fairly certain castration isn't hereditary.

Are you sure? Nobody I ever heard of had a child with balls after being castrated.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Oh hey there's already the Gansu Corridor. In the early start it'll be Tangut, but in 1066 it'll have at least some Chinese culture mixed I imagine?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

It seems like they have toned down the number of soldiers, with the most powerful lord of Ireland having 350 soldiers in total at the start of the game which I like since the numbers in CK2 and also in Paradox in general usually gets quite ridiculous.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Another gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGcqnPHSUEA

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
This is the nittiest of nitpicks but I hope the game will still have a ruler history/regnal numbers.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Some nice additional options for vassal contracts. Good use for those hooks you dig up on your liege/vassal.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Oh hey there's already the Gansu Corridor. In the early start it'll be Tangut, but in 1066 it'll have at least some Chinese culture mixed I imagine?

The IGN map overview video does show Han culture in that area in 1066.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I wonder how long the GOT mod will take to update, I play it almost exclusively now compared to the base game.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
So this is how nudity in CK3 will look like, hmmm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dwesa posted:

Crusader Kings III: So that's what nudity looks like

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Anno posted:

Some nice additional options for vassal contracts. Good use for those hooks you dig up on your liege/vassal.

Poor Istvan, he seems like such a cool guy but his wife seems like a harridan - or at least has a terrible case of resting bitch face.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
A lot more enthusiastic about the game after seeing it in motion. The UI style still looks like they made a temporary look to test things and just decided to keep it..but it also looks so snappy and functional that I don't care at all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like the UI since it looks like dark mode CK2.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dwesa posted:

Turn on your monitor

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm fairly certain castration isn't hereditary

I meant more "certain inadequacies would be exposed."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, I hit the year 1400 in my Pagan playthrough and I'm pretty sure it's in the bag. The entirety of Western Europe, Africa and the Middle East are part of my empire and Germanic pagan, and almost exclusively ruled by my dynasty. I conquered the British Isles, Germany, Italy and France, and my vassal kings did the rest. Islam and every pagan belief except a faint sliver of Romuva is gone. Eastern Orthodoxy is doing fine, as Byzantium is still around, and Mongolia decided to convert as well.

Catholicism has been eclipsed by the Cathar heresy, and the only vestige of OG catholicism is in Siberia, where the Pope holds a single province atop the Ural mountains, from which he declared a one-man Crusade against Perm and won. I was kind of hoping Cathar would become the main Catholicism, but I guess that requires some DLC or has a prerequisite the AI isn't hitting?

I wanted to institute maximum crown authority so I could institute Imperial Administration, since that was about the only goal I could think of. Turns out that involved wrangling 700 votes across way too many electors, and I figured a Great Holy War was the way to get most of them on my side. Naturally, that meant attacking the one remaining catholic power. Turns out, you do not want to invade Siberia when all you have are footsoldiers and cavalry. I had about infinite troops at this point, but that doesn't help when the attrition loss from marching to the Ural mountains kills so many troops there's not enough left to siege.

Finally, it hit me. There are rivers! I am vikings! I can just sail there! Sure enough, skipping most of the snowy wastes kept my troops in good enough shape to actually be able to siege poo poo, but not good enough shape to take on the Pope's personal armies and every single catholic holy order. Still, I made it further than any other participant, but the forces of all of Europe were not enough to take a single lovely duchy in Siberia. We might have been able to bash our heads against him long enough to exhaust his troops, but I ended up white peacing out after my Fylkja died and had to come to terms with a couple of revelations.

Her heir, my new ruler, was a syphillitic lunatic. His heir was not of my dynasty. Apparently, when I had matrilinieally married off my daughters earlier, all of their husbands died or were divorced, and their various lieges took them as concubines. So naturally I had all of said lieges murdered and had my sisters brought home. I married the most lustful woman I could find, and also had my king take three concubines and give a tumble to any woman who looked at him funny, even though I'd been avoiding those mechanics. Meanwhile, I tried my hardest to kill said nephews. Neither of those things come easy to a syphillis-riddled lunatic, and his plotting was revealed five times before he managed to take out two prepubescent children. He finally produced a single, sickly, frail girl, and then promptly sacrificed himself in an attempt to summon Cthulhu.

Cthulhu never showed, but he did not leave a stable realm behind. The biggest faction wante to put a pretender on the throne who happened to be an attractive, gregarious woman of my dynasty. That seemed fine to me, so I let them do it. This did not give me the option to play as her, but I decided to just save the game and load up as her. This meant I could keep my empire, but lost all my core holdings. Not that it mattered much, because this was my best bet to land the prerequisite 353 votes for maximum crown authority, which I managed with a lot of gift-giving and cajoling.

Passing Imperial Administration after that was a breeze, and I set about revoking all my old titles and getting cozy in my old capital with four castles. Then I learned that Imperial Administration doesn't actually change your government type to Imperial, and all my vassals hated me again. There was a lot of murmuring about putting different pretenders on the throne and lowering crown authority, so I pre-emptively jailed any nominated pretenders and caved immediately when pressed to lower crown authority. This was helped when some raiders were strolling across my demesne and I rallied the troops to take them out, which immediately let to one of them clubbing my queen in the head and putting her in a coma.

Her heir was the grandson of my last ruler from before everything went to poo poo, and like everyone else in that line, he was kind and gregorious. So I figured I'd just hold out until he came of age, and did all my tyranny from a coma and hoped he could ride out whatever residue hostility my incapable queen garnered. I lowered my crown authority twice, which was handy, since medium was all I wanted, and had one pretender war which petered out when said pretender died in the oubliette. He was crowned at age 15, one year shy of coming of age.

I wasn't sure what I'd do in case of an independence war, which was very much on the horizon. I got an idea when my spymaster, who had been hanging out in Byzantium stealing technology for centuries, was arrested. I hadn't seen this happen before, but hey, that's apparently a thing. So I invited the leader of the independence faction to be my Chancellor, and sent him to Constantinople to stir poo poo, hoping he'd get arrested. That didn't happen, but what did happen was that he was so happy to be made chancellor that he disbanded the whole thing. Another king took up the reins, but I made him my spymaster, sent him to Constantinople, and he liked it so much that he disbanded it again. My king came of age, turned out to be a very likable fellow, and no further rebellions happened.

Now his son is in charge, who is a Grey Eminence with five virtues who also happens to be a genius, with a genius heir. I think I'll spend the last 50 years cleaning up the horrible, horrible borders that show up in the direct vassals map mode, dissolve the empire, and see what EUIV looks like when almost the entire Abrahamic world has been replaced with Norse paganism.

Two final questions:

-Is there any way I, as a non-Christian, can ensure that Cathar becomes the main Catholic belief? It very clearly outpaces both the other heresies and the Pope's Siberian hideout on the religion map mode, but it's still listed as a heresy.

-How the gently caress are you supposed to deal with raider adventurers? I've assassinated a ton of them, but it doesn't do anything to thin their numbers, and manually chasing them down is a real hassle and doesn't do anything as they seem to be able to spawn and despawn at will. You'd think the vassals being raided would do something, but they only seem to fight them when their troops happen to bump into them on their way somewhere else.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 15, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Seeing the game in motion also did a lot to sooth my concerns about the overall art direction.

Still, I'm holding off buying this until it's on sale and with a few expansions under it's belt.

It's a Paradox game, anyone who buys their products out of the gate has basically overpaid for an extended open beta.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

You can land them, and it'll seal your borders to raiders for a period. Can't really recall how worthwhile trade it is, though

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Seeing the game in motion also did a lot to sooth my concerns about the overall art direction.

Still, I'm holding off buying this until it's on sale and with a few expansions under it's belt.

It's a Paradox game, anyone who buys their products out of the gate has basically overpaid for an extended open beta.

But... the preorder hats...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fuligin posted:

You can land them, and it'll seal your borders to raiders for a period. Can't really recall how worthwhile trade it is, though

It annoys the absolute poo poo out of all of your vassals if you do that. Doubly so if you sell a vassal's land to do it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

CK2 was very good right out of the gate.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Can you wear the pre-order hats while embracing religious nudity?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Torrannor posted:

CK2 was very good right out of the gate.

That was eight years ago, and since CK2 has had over $300* of DLC, plus whatever the base game was. Almost all advice in this thread assumes extensive DLC ownership (council, pope, etc). After CK2, Paradox Dev studio has released Stellaris, which was been a flaming mess for every version of the game yet also has $250 worth of DLC to a $40 game.

That CK3 will have core mechanics refined via totally-not-mandatory DLC is a given. Coooore mechanics. Someone expressing hesitation on jumping on a release day purchase in this day and age is just showing a mocum of learning, nevermind familiarity with Paradox's gouging.

*Local currency

Anno
May 10, 2017

Serephina posted:

That was eight years ago, and since CK2 has had over $300* of DLC, plus whatever the base game was. Almost all advice in this thread assumes extensive DLC ownership (council, pope, etc). After CK2, Paradox Dev studio has released Stellaris, which was been a flaming mess for every version of the game yet also has $250 worth of DLC to a $40 game.

That CK3 will have core mechanics refined via totally-not-mandatory DLC is a given. Coooore mechanics. Someone expressing hesitation on jumping on a release day purchase in this day and age is just showing a mocum of learning, nevermind familiarity with Paradox's gouging.

*Local currency

Stellaris DLC doesn’t really add core mechanics, though, and many that it has we’re soon stripped out of the DLC and patched back into the main game. It’s mostly new content for all game mechanics and additional types of empires.

That’s also the path that Imperator’s first paid DLC went.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Serephina posted:

a preeminently rational judgment. but you're not fooling anyone. even if you are actually going to wait there's no sense in being pointlessly cruel to the other posters here by reminding them of their endless foolishness!

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 16, 2020

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Serephina posted:

*Local currency

I bounced off Imperator but I enjoyed both Stellaris and HoI4 at release, I'm pretty confident that CK3 will be a decent game at release.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
At the very least a lot of CK3 is just tweaking the successful features of CK2 and so seems harder to screw up than a brand new concept.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It is completely reasonable to be hesitant to buy a Paradox game at launch and this coming from someone is going to windmill slam the buy button on the deluxe edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

1stGear posted:

It is completely reasonable to be hesitant to buy a Paradox game at launch and this coming from someone is going to windmill slam the buy button on the deluxe edition.

Absolutely. Steam says I have 1211 hours in CK2, plus however much I played in the beta. I'm spending less money in general right now, but I'm 100% buying CK3 as soon as it hits the store.