Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MorrisBae posted:

So if the virus doesn't cause those 3 markers to be off, and instead it takes advantage of people with those markers - can't we just have everyone get a full blood panel and point out "hey you're going to die if you get this" to the ones who have those markers?

That seems like an easy stopgap in places where testing is unreliable/unavailable

That thing has a 80% NPV and 98% PPV, (positive=survival, negative=death), so IMO it's only useful as a tool to determine if you're not gonna die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

indigi posted:

it’s getting impossible to tell what’s real
It's all real. Just assume everyone's an idiot who's determined to spread covid-19.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

hosed up but lockdowns don't work. states with lockdowns have more deaths
https://twitter.com/princesseffel/status/1261082587289628672?s=20

maybe, just maybe, they only locked down because it was worse there to begin with

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

indigi posted:

can’t believe “the lockdown is more deadly than covid“ is a real thing people are claiming.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

calling what the USA did a “lockdown” is lol

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

We wouldn't have had to do anything if China had done a better job containing the virus that they built in their own dirty labs!

mystes
May 31, 2006

euphronius posted:

America briefly slowed down after it got out of the car as it ambled towards Applebee's. Now we're taking one long, final lick of the doorknob before we step in to meet our doom.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mystes posted:

America briefly slowed down after it got out of it's car and walked towards Applebee's. Now we're taking one long, final lick of the doorknob before we step in to meet our doom.

One month, then gave up in most places (April)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

every airport is still open and never closed !!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

euphronius posted:

Why do you hate jobs? Do you want people to starve to death when we refuse to provide them food?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

But trinp himself stopped people from China from entering the country. He bravely stood there at the end of jetways and politely apologized for having to send them back but he couldn't allow them into the country to infect us!

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1261416819199545345

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TMMadman posted:

But trinp himself stopped people from China from entering the country. He bravely stood there at the end of jetways and politely apologized for having to send them back but he couldn't allow them into the country to infect us!

that of all lies crack pings me more than anything

remember also when he ended immigration ??? (he didn’t )

but ?? man we are in a bad spot

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

:justflu:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

Yeah my mom pointed out that one of her friends posted pics on Facebook from Florida, and he looked so happy! It took a lot for me to not blurt out "he's a millionaire who left his cancer-ridden daughter to fly down and cheat on his cancer-surviving wife in the middle of a pandemic", but I didn't have the heart

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

that of all lies crack pings me more than anything

remember also when he ended immigration ??? (he didn’t )

but ?? man we are in a bad spot

He also personally built hundreds of miles of his border wall!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

That's interesting. LDH is used to inform owners of a dog's survival prognosis after some emergency surgeries.

MorrisBae posted:

So if the virus doesn't cause those 3 markers to be off, and instead it takes advantage of people with those markers - can't we just have everyone get a full blood panel and point out "hey you're going to die if you get this" to the ones who have those markers?

That seems like an easy stopgap in places where testing is unreliable/unavailable

The biomarkers changed in response to the disease, so the virus already has to be wreaking havoc on the body.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rauros posted:

That's interesting. LDH is used to inform owners of a dog's survival prognosis after some emergency surgeries.

LDH is also released after strenuous aerobic exercise so obese goons should take this study to heart as a reason to never exercise*

* don't do this that's not how it works.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

all of this stuff about the logistics of handling bodies being some huge technical problem seems insane, if you only care about them as disease vectors and not as ex-humans, the quantities you can move dwarf the absolute maximum of coronavirus fatalities. if it's that or the end of the world fill up an oil tanker with em and scuttle it, you could fit 3-4 million corpses in a big one if they were fully compacted

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

my small city seemed to slow down considerably for like... a week, but then everything basically went back to normal. aside from the occasional mask-wearer you'd never know anything was going on

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Joe Rogan wants to move to Texas because he misses stand up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
One, two, three, four, I declare a world war

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

don't we stack them 3 deep in NY?

love this kind of reporting

The country of smallasfuckland is hard hit by the virus with 80% of the land expected to be consumed by mass graves as the death toll approaches 3.

How about some sort of standardized death count reporting. There's fuckign standards for every other drat thing. I'm sure there is a simple and efficient way to undercount deaths and all countries should just agree to adopt and move on.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

shovelbum posted:

all of this stuff about the logistics of handling bodies being some huge technical problem seems insane, if you only care about them as disease vectors and not as ex-humans, the quantities you can move dwarf the absolute maximum of coronavirus fatalities. if it's that or the end of the world fill up an oil tanker with em and scuttle it, you could fit 3-4 million corpses in a big one if they were fully compacted

yeah we haven’t hosed up the oceans enough lets do it with hundreds of thousands of bloated sick corpses. are you ok man

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

It’s amazing that there are military flyovers happening over hospitals. Almost as if the past decade wasn’t filled with planes bombing hospitals :thunk:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MorrisBae posted:

another poster pointed out the scientific reason this wouldn't work. but lol even if it did the US wouldn't do it. the reason for lack of testing is political will, not material shortages.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I see trumps project warped speed hasn’t set the country’s imagination on fire

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Abhhh yes, the small as gently caress country known as...Brazil

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Nocturtle posted:

We did this and made one of those red sections in Manhattan slightly redder. We lasted one (1) week doing WFH and remote-schooling before fleeing NYC and the country in a rental car to get help from family (after the mandatory 14-day quarantine in a short-term rental :canada:). If we're not allowed back in someone please send me my cast iron pan.
How could you abandon your cast iron pan, monster?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nate says these are good numbers and good news btw

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1261415783076450310?s=21

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

where's my money nocturtle

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

snoo posted:

where's my money nocturtle

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/HouseGOP/status/1261298800435568642?s=20

i remember the long ago days of early march, when greater than a 5% positive rate was considered wild, out of control spread

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They don't care about the haircut itself, it's concern trolling

same way the people who believe school massacres are a necessary price to pay for the right to own guns are suddenly concerned about children and their mental health.

lol now i wonder if lovely parents are realizing their lovely kids are lovely people capable of school massacres because families are forced to interact with each other while in quarantine...

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Elephanthead posted:

What is the purpose of having perfect C-Spam posters when the Lamestream Mods give nothing but hostile bans, & then refuses to report the truth or facts accurately. They get record post counts, & the C-Spam crews get nothing but probations. Not worth the time & effort!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Atrocious Joe posted:

hosed up but lockdowns don't work. states with lockdowns have more deaths
https://twitter.com/princesseffel/status/1261082587289628672?s=20

this is because everyone stopped going out even if there wasn’t a lockdown. for awhile there people all agreed that social distancing was good and everyone was rightfully scared. it turns out that laws and mandates are actually just suggestions in a lot of cases.

we are all bored now though, so pandemic over let’s go spit into each others lungs again.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

pigz posted:

don't we stack them 3 deep in NY?

love this kind of reporting

The country of smallasfuckland is hard hit by the virus with 80% of the land expected to be consumed by mass graves as the death toll approaches 3.

How about some sort of standardized death count reporting. There's fuckign standards for every other drat thing. I'm sure there is a simple and efficient way to undercount deaths and all countries should just agree to adopt and move on.

I’m having trouble even parsing this post let alone figuring which part is ironic (Brazil has 200 million people) so I’ll just chime in to say that Amazonas is already in dire straits and will soon be a humanitarian catastrophe: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/brazil-coronavirus-bolsonaro-1.5550341

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

*USA-ishly* lol vertical integration