Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

el dorito posted:

Also, the vids said that there would be "content warning: suffering dogs" and yet no warnings present, and now countless people have been exposed to it

then again, anyone who has been watching this series from the start should have been expecting the sorrowful cries of canine despair at any time

Oh, uh.

Yeah, this was precisely the spot that should have had that. Maybe I was just numb after the pig shed? I’ll put something in the description to help future generations - sorry!!

Edit: there. PERFECTLY SAFE FOR ALL VIEWERS

Bacter fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bacter posted:

Oh, uh.

Yeah, this was precisely the spot that should have had that. Maybe I was just numb after the pig shed? I’ll put something in the description to help future generations - sorry!!

Edit: there. PERFECTLY SAFE FOR ALL VIEWERS

Just ribbin' ya, since you mentioned in the video that you wanted to have those warnings up.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

el dorito posted:

I've been turning this over in my head

Wolfie is an alpha wolf, to an extent. He wants to be happy, and to be happy, he wants to eat his fill and dominate the wilds of the forest. He knows a capable ally (or patsy) when he sees one, and chose to help us, knowing that a small investment could yield quite a reward. But his contempt is an emotional manifestetion of how he has no use for us, maybe even be an unknown that could become a threat or liability. He may try to kill us, but if we survived this long, he could get hurt by such an attempt. Besides, he has good food for days... why spend the effort or risk? Much easier to use the old standby of intimidation turned up to 11 and have everyone leave on a good note. He knows that we don't want to stay. He wants us to know that he doesn't want us to come back.

Chaotic neutral. He's not looking to kill everyone. But still, he could murder a good meal.

The doctor is chaotic evil.

alpha wolves aren't a thing
that theory is old and was refuted by its own creator

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Ok. Alpha wolf is the wrong terminology and I am not going to argue any of its merits. But I will say that Wolfie is a lone wolf kind of guy that is going to hang around for the long term and wants the relevant status quo to stay the same. And the player character has been an nteresting distraction and a useful tool for the short term but a possible liability in the long term. He always knee that this partnership would always come to this stage and he wants you gone without having to plan for your existence.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
....Well at least that lady was put out of her misery? I hope she wasn't alive when Wolf ate her.

How did he even get her out of the house?

I'm also starting to wonder why our character entered these woods in the first place. My running theory is that we were just sent in to scout the place out, it would be the sort of thing you'd only send one person to do. We were alone and unarmed in a place that you cant enter unless you use the underground tunnels. We were sent to check it out and got attacked, if we did have any weapons before the Doctor found us then they might have been taken by whoever knocked us out in the first place.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

While that may be true, nonetheless the concept remains a part of common parlance that is recognized and has certain meanings and connotations, which make it still a valuable concept for the purposes of communication. Like how eating a couple holly berries probably won't actually kill you, but it's such an established trope that it can still be used in a work to convey the intended meaning. At least, that's my take on it.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

I mean the lasting legacy of the theory is basically :biotruths: and alpha/beta/omega dynamics fanworks, so I'm not sure how valuable of a concept it is.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, what we can agree on...

Wolfie is a wolfen of some kind, and it may just be that he’s a member of a local wolf pack. Or maybe he only took on their social structure. Maybe he’s not great for them? He certainly doesn’t seem to be helping them, that we can tell.

I will spoil this one thing: in an alternate timeline where we made him mad, he certainly seems able to control the wolves. He’s a real, uh, wolf lord.

In an unnatural manner that doesn’t concord either how wolves order themselves in reality, this boy has taken full charge, and that’s ODD.

I consider the matter of if wolfs have alpha wolfs to be closed. Wolfie in some ways acts according to the concept, but the concept is bad science and is used by odious people for dumb theories.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

ComicsandSlushies posted:

I hope she wasn't alive when Wolf ate her.

I think you know the answer to that

Kinda get the impression that this is what happens when Polish writers get a hold of the not a wolf twitter account. Got sick of sleeping in bushes, stole a dead guy's jacket, started messing with mute losers.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have no particular feelings either way towards however we handle Wolfy or the Doc, but I do have a genuine question for folks of the thread and bacter:

Does hurting in the dogs in this game (or others) genuinely bother you that much, especially when they're clearly enemies/hostile without any provacation? I myself am an animal person (more cat than dog, fite me) and decided very early on my life I would never be a veterinarian because I can't handle animals in distress well. The flip side is that in video games, I will 100% kick/shoot/shovel any enemy animal that attacks me with zero remorse, and find it baffling when people have trouble with it. Hell, I find it hilarious when developers clearly go out of their way to try and make you feel bad for hurting dog based enemies especially. Oh yeah, hit us with that pained dog whimper. It's just a game, and no actual animals are being harmed or were harmed in the making of said game!

Is that weird?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

I think Bacter was referring to putting down the hosed up/bloated dogs as being upsetting, not fighting the enemy dogs

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I think Bacter was referring to putting down the hosed up/bloated dogs as being upsetting, not fighting the enemy dogs

In the early vids Bacter pretty clearly stated he didn't like fighting the dogs because doggos are nice don't hurt them! I may be misremembering of course, and he could just be making an excuse not to fight them because he's bad at combat it wastes resources and it's easier to just run around them.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Everyone got different thresholds. Like, I'm similar to you in that I'm a big animal lover, and while hurting hostile video game dogs doesn't bother me, I hate hurting hostile cats like those assholes in Dark Souls 1's forest.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Iceclaw posted:

Everyone got different thresholds. Like, I'm similar to you in that I'm a big animal lover, and while hurting hostile video game dogs doesn't bother me, I hate hurting hostile cats like those assholes in Dark Souls 1's forest.

I adore cats and am not above doing terrible things to cat enemies in games because they can be real assholes. Def a threshold thing though I suppose.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

I think it depends on if there are other ways to deal with them that isn't killing them. If there's a way to pacify or stun them then I tend to feel bad about killing them.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The woods are amplifying everything. The trees are increasing as the forest intensifies. Domesticated dogs become monstrous hellhounds. A sow becomes the Mother of Pigs. A predator becomes a predator, and we delivered him his prize. Go us!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Someone else wrote something similar a few posts ago, but Wolf does act like he's in a hosed up sequel to Little Red Riding Hood, taking place in Darkwood's bizarre reality. At least that maybe explains his fixation to the "beautiful" lady and her grandma.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Sister. The chicken woman and the other one are sisters.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

In the early vids Bacter pretty clearly stated he didn't like fighting the dogs because doggos are nice don't hurt them! I may be misremembering of course, and he could just be making an excuse not to fight them because he's bad at combat it wastes resources and it's easier to just run around them.

Hey!

Also, i don’t mind killing the dogs so much. I was playing it up a bit because there was a medium-sized thread kerfuffle in the first few updates because I said something about “poor dogs” and then beat like five of them to death with a 2x4.

FullyTerrible is also correct. I feel bad for the sick dogs, because they seem like Real Dogs In Pain, as opposed to the zombie cujos coming for us in the forest.

Likewise, I’d feel bad killing the villagers protecting the pigpen, but really not the savages, and for SURE not the mushroom men.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 15, 2020

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sister. The chicken woman and the other one are sisters.

oh, oops. I guess I wanted my theory to fit.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

I love how the mushroom men sound like they're having a great time chasing you around, and then they get too excited and explode :haw:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

They’re fungis.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I feel like killing the beautiful lady was a revenge thing for Wolfie. Like, the trophy, I imagine that could have been someone he cared for, is mate maybe, which would make killing the hunters mate the perfect revenge.
I am going to keep imagining he just killed her, because I feel guilty for voting for him. My goal was a quick death so that is my headcanon.

I definitely think the Doctor just snapped eventually, he evidently cared about his family and kept keepsakes, and psychopaths rarely do that. Sure, care on some level, but not to the extent as to treasure inanimate objects. I am not sure he would deserve mercy at this point because of it, he has gone too far to be left running around, but if he has an epiphany, who knows! I still wouldn't trust him though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
My only issue with fighting dogs/wolves in videogames is that they always, always give them the most drawn-out "suffering dog.wav" sound effect when they die. I don't mind the idea of killing them in self-defense, but I hate those sounds, they're real heartstring-tuggers.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SaffronKit posted:

I have no particular feelings either way towards however we handle Wolfy or the Doc, but I do have a genuine question for folks of the thread and bacter:

Does hurting in the dogs in this game (or others) genuinely bother you that much, especially when they're clearly enemies/hostile without any provacation? I myself am an animal person (more cat than dog, fite me) and decided very early on my life I would never be a veterinarian because I can't handle animals in distress well. The flip side is that in video games, I will 100% kick/shoot/shovel any enemy animal that attacks me with zero remorse, and find it baffling when people have trouble with it. Hell, I find it hilarious when developers clearly go out of their way to try and make you feel bad for hurting dog based enemies especially. Oh yeah, hit us with that pained dog whimper. It's just a game, and no actual animals are being harmed or were harmed in the making of said game!

Is that weird?

I'm more on your side here; I absolutely hate animal abuse, but I don't have any problem with fighting/killing an animal in a game that is trying to kill me. I wouldn't handle a game that asked you to hurt innocent animals (especially cats) very well, but this isn't a problem for me.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Sorry for the doublepost, but a thought just occurred to me: what if Wolfie used to be a human, went nuts, put on that wolf head as a mask for whatever reason, and whatever weird poo poo is going on changed him, combining him with the wolf? In most games I would think that was a really dumb idea, but I feel like it would actually make some twisted kind of sense here.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

By the way...

Shoeless posted:

I'm not sure why a lot of people seem to be assuming there is a connection between Wolf and the dog in the children's drawings. There doesn't seem to be anything that would link the two.

Remember, Wolfie knew where the key was. We showed him the box, he said "oh hey cool but you won't be able to open this on your own - find a building in the southwest to find the key". When he said "A building in the southwest of the meadow", he really meant the church. If we didn't buy Piodrek's map, that's one of the ways to find out where the church is.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I do feel like that wolfie isn’t entirely world or entirely human, but rather some sort of hybrid gestalt of both the hunter and the wolf we saw in that photo. As the hunter, he’s the father of those kids, while the mother was the pretty lady. This may be tying too many things together, maybe he was just a neighbor to those kids which is why he knows how to unlock the box? But it seems reasonable to me for these pieces to come together. As for how to feel about wolfie in his current state, I’m less sure of that.

What I will say is that he appears to be unique. While mutations have led to mushroom men and chompers fairly regularly, there does not appear to be any other hybrids in the same fashion of him. While I would suggest not helping him too much in the future, I also see little reason to destroy him, unless it’s in self defense.

Meanwhile, the doctor is a more troubling case. He’s definitely antagonistic to us, and looking at his history, I can’t help but see someone broken under immense pressures. If he didn’t care, I don’t think he would have gone as far into the deep end. Still, he clearly has gone over the edge. The only reason I see to be friendly with him is in case he has actually managed to find out some answers. If he doesn’t have any new information, it’d probably be best to just end him.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Bacter posted:

By the way...

Remember, Wolfie knew where the key was. We showed him the box, he said "oh hey cool but you won't be able to open this on your own - find a building in the southwest to find the key". When he said "A building in the southwest of the meadow", he really meant the church. If we didn't buy Piodrek's map, that's one of the ways to find out where the church is.

Oops, that's my bad for not remembering! I still don't think that that points to Wolfie being the dog that died though. But I guess that's up to interpretation. Bah, back in my day we had stories with straightforward plots with no room for individual interpretation, and we liked it that way!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I think wolfie was the dog but has gone full feral. He addresses us as meat and is clearly the one stuffing humans, eating the hunter's wife, but recognizes the box and also licks our face in a weird doglike gesture of affection after we visit his lair. Dogs do show dominance aggression and he considers himself above us and people at this point.

I have pity for the doctor, and he went too far mainly because the situation was impossible. We see from the notes in the village that he tried more traditional cures before doing mad scientist poo poo and eventually giving up on the village entirely. He's done heinous things but I don't think he's beyond or undeserving of rehabilitation given the circumstances, if we have the opportunity to take him with us we should.

Also Bacter mentioned that our character is mute. Has he always been mute or was he mute after getting beaten up by the doctor in the start?

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 16, 2020

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Speaking of - if you look at the mirror (which is in the place where we turned on the power to kill the pig) you see:

You are one ugly bastard. I guess you got what you deserved.

(that line is thought by you)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

:stare:

You know, suddenly it makes sense for Wolfie to call us Meat...

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I see a red scarf kind of thing and a hat, I dont see any meat.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Looks like we're wearing a gas mask, too.

In fact we look an awful lot like the Trader.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
My thoughts on Wolfie are that he's been doing what we're doing, just for a longer amount of time. The wolf head probably started out as a mask, but given that he seems to want to become more powerful (like us via mushrooms and meat), i think he just mutated and the wolf mask became his face. He calls us meat not only because he has gone insane due to the mutations and has embraced the role of a wolf, but i think if we weren't so useful he would literally try and use us as Odd Meat to further his mutations. He's had just as much access to the forest as we have, if not more since he seems to be a local, and he's the most obvious mutant humanoid we've come across so far, so he must be out there cooking down and shooting up mushrooms and mutated meat along with us.

The Doctor I think was trying to stop anyone from being mutated, and maybe at first it was altruistic and in the name of helping people who did not want the mutations, but he's clearly past the point of First Do No Harm. Kill him.

I also want to comment on our image in the mirror: if we choose to never use the mushrooms and meat, to never mutate, do we get a more normal image? Do the villagers treat us a little nicer? Does anyone notice at all? Or are we cursed to an existence as a hideous crime against nature even if we abstain from mutations?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Mushrooms don’t affect your image, or how the villagers treat us. We, and they, have already been in the forest for Some Time

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Just caught up now. Really enjoying the game, thank you for LPing!

On Wolfie - my personal take is that he was the wolf with the glowing eyes, who has killed the hunter and taken his place. Very literally - he kills and stuffs humans. The one taxidermy animal that is defaced is the wolf - Wolfie couldn't stand that, much as humans probably wouldn't enjoy seeing a taxidermied human face. When is he pleased with us? When we allow him to complete taking the hunter's place by kidnapping the hunter's wife. Wolfie literally eats her, but there's plenty of slang for sex as consuming.

That's why he had the fake ring, to persuade someone that's his (Wolfie's) wife, since it matches her ring.

Wolfie is a bully, who figured out we were useful, and has used us thusly.

It appears he's breeding dogs -> deformed huge dog/wolfs. They appear to be in pain/misery, and he is certainly not alleviating their pain. He enjoys causing pain, and playing cruel tricks.

He wants us gone because we're a threat, for all that he bullies us and treats as as something to be kicked. --the alternate video where he's blown up shows he's not as tough as he pretends.

He needs killing.

--It was deeply unclear to me what to do with the key to the 'beautiful lady''s room. Wolfie seemed like a bad choice, but the Musician seemed also like a horrible choice, and she was locked in a bedroom at her sister's. Somehow I was also confused and thought we saw a ring on the guy who attacked us at the doctor's house (Chicken Lady's brother).

As for the Doctor: his reaction was to drug us, then beat us, and threaten to kill us in a horrible manner. He assumed we wouldn't help him, and treated us accordingly before we could have shown him a way out. He locked up the brother, and it's not clear why. He left his patients in pain and misery, without explaining anything - a mercy euthanizing would have been kinder than leaving someone strapped to the bed.

He is not okay, and how he has treated people is not okay.

(also - the Golden State killer did keep mementos of victims, and apparently other serial killers do as well.)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kacie posted:

--the alternate video where he's blown up shows he's not as tough as he pretends.

Quibbling, but I think being able to survive an exploding barrel at point blank range is pretty tough. I would hazard a guess that if you try to engage him in more conventional combat he would be quite the challenge. Especially if he's willing and able to use that assault rifle. I do agree that he's awful though and I'm not against killing him, even if it gets us nothing more than some peace of mind.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

There is one other thing worth asking: Why in the blue hell did we come here anyway? We've never been given any idea of what the hell our main character was thinking about that that I remember. Like what, are we a tourist who was bound and determined to backpack into this specific crummy part of Poland even when the roads here were all hosed up? Why would we go to this place when the first sign of trouble in the form of the doctor stealing our keys and ending up in some cabin after what could be brushed off as a weird hallucination immediately makes us want to just leave?

This is a great question. What do we know so far?

1) We're not a local. That much is eminently clear.
2) If we had any jobs, we don't mention them at all. Our entire goal is to escape at this point.
3) The traders seems to think of us as a kindred soul, or a compatriot? We don't seem to recognize him.
4) Based on the note we found in the cabin, and on the fact that we have an escape hole, and that other people have kind of mentioned this, there ARE outsiders who come in.

I kept a list of my thoughts as I played the game. What I'm giving was my opinion at this part of the game. Note that I'm not saying that this opinion ever changes - I COULD have been right on, or we could find things later that change the opinion.

At this point, my assumption was that we were operating like somebody from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games: that this forest turned into a cthulu zone somehow, and people on the outside either wanted us to go in and figure out how to stop it, or save people, or get items (shiny stones? embryos? red mushrooms?).

We were on such a mission, but things went pear-shaped and now we're just trying to get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think we're just a dumbass backpacking alone across Europe to 'find ourselves' and failing to pay attention to literally any information about our destination.