Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

is it true that Fallout 76 is good

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Orv posted:

No, shockingly 343 as a very quality studio is just making GBS threads these PC ports out and not fixing them after.

Huh, I guess they are a proper successor to Bungie.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

K8.0 posted:

Huh, I guess they are a proper successor to Bungie.

I thought Gearbox did the PC ports.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Small tip for those who bought Control and use a PS4 controller. It doesn't work through epic but if you add Control to Steam, it works fine. Also, the game is great, best xfiles game I've played.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Control rules. My only gripe is that enemies can be hard to distinguish and so I end up eating a rocket to the face because I can't easily parse rocket man from a regular guard. But yeah, Control rules.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I thought Gearbox did the PC ports.

That's true, but Bungie did the Myth and Myth 2 ports and those were kinda bad too IIRC. To be fair though, in those days a mac to PC port that worked at all was uncommon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goferchan posted:

Thanks again Serephina for suggesting I give Endless Space another shot. Started up the tutorial again this morning and lost like 6 hours of my life before I even knew it; seems like a really cool game and I was SUPER impressed with how well the tutorial is implemented. It explains some basic mechanics and gives you a few quests to get used to them without ever putting you on-rails. If you click too deep into the menus and stumble across some more complicated systems it doesn't kick you out but gives you a really nice "You don't really need to mess with this yet, I'll let you know when to come back after we go over some more foundational stuff" message. Just a really elegant way of easing someone into a complicated game, I was really pleasantly surprised.

Huh, I wonder if they've changed the tutorial at all since I last tried it. I gave it a shot over a free weekend and bounced off hard.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
These GTA5 posts are a real bummer, man.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, Troubleshooter gets pretty hard as you progress. I've got my party of 5 around level 26 or so and I keep barely scraping by the story missions. Maybe it's time for me to figure out how to actually craft some better equipment and take a long look at my masteries. Either that or I need to learn to NOT send Albus and Irene up front alone and get them murdered by lucky crits.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Johnny Truant posted:

I am just absolutely stuck in Immortal Defense. I can't get past level 2 of either the Courage Point or the Cut Point's badge trial thingies. Goddamn this is hard.

Some of these points challenges require a level of thought that I frankly am not going to bother giving to a TD game. The Fear and Circuit point challenges were fairly easy and have good rewards, if you're doing it for the medals rather than just out of boredom.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've been playing the Steam version of Scythe and it's been awesome so far, but quick question: for everyone to play with the expansion that gives 2 more factions, does everyone need to own it or just one person?

Samuringa posted:

Some of these points challenges require a level of thought that I frankly am not going to bother giving to a TD game. The Fear and Circuit point challenges were fairly easy and have good rewards, if you're doing it for the medals rather than just out of boredom.

Yeah I'm constantly improving but those two levels just wrecked me at least 3 times in a row before I was like meh, I'll come back to it. I'm not banging my head against the game at all, I still really enjoy it, but I'm definitely just missing something with those levels.

I looked up the Steam Community it has and there was a decent kind of guide written by one of the developers that is definitely going to up my game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Look Sir Droids posted:

These GTA5 posts are a real bummer, man.

Realtalk: if you have no idea about the current state of GTA5, this recent USGamer piece explains a whole lot about the fact that SP was just abandoned outright and the cash/power creep the MP has turned into. It's a wild read if you're like me and didn't touch the thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

good grief

Another question then: is it true that Fallout 76 is good with the Wastelanders update or is that just a few, select headlines?

I enjoy checking in with the living trainwreck that is fallout 76 from time to time so I watched this, and the short version is it's still competing with anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwQbSdwNQRU

Orv
May 4, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

Realtalk: if you have no idea about the current state of GTA5, this recent USGamer piece explains a whole lot about the fact that SP was just abandoned outright and the cash/power creep the MP has turned into. It's a wild read if you're like me and didn't touch the thing.

How does one abandon a complete SP game?

The MP bit is not incorrect though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Orv posted:

How does one abandon a complete SP game?

More the fact that instead of expansions to the SP/MP it's all MP, all the time, and after a certain point they didn't even backport the stuff that they created into single player, cash only in GTAO.

Orv
May 4, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

More the fact that instead of expansions to the SP/MP it's all MP, all the time, and after a certain point they didn't even backport the stuff that they created into single player, cash only in GTAO.

I think expecting them to backport that stuff into SP is a completely insane expectation but I suppose.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Orv posted:

I think expecting them to backport that stuff into SP is a completely insane expectation but I suppose.
Dying Light still adds new events to this day, and no one still plays it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Dying Light still adds new events to this day, and no one still plays it.

Techland is notably insane but I don't see how that correlates. It's not as though you'd get a bunch of new stuff from GTAO in SP and then go and spend more than a couple hours toying around with it, or at least the vast majority of people wouldn't.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What kind of stuff are we talking about? It wouldn't seem too unrealistic to me to expect them to backport any purely cosmetic content, at least, since it's already in the game files and probably not too hard to add to SP vendor inventories and such.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Vehicles, clothes, guns. But to what end? Is anyone here still dumping any significant time into GTAV SP, or did you after you'd finished the game and the side stuff? There's no point in doing so.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No one's asking for the Online systems but how is porting over the cars etc. "insane"? You can even access them with a savegame editor, and they did it on PS3/X360 constantly (all the new Online cars went into a special menu and for the "HD" re-release they spawn most of them on the streets). They also didn't port a single QoL feature (eg. in the quick menu) back to SP. I think it qualifies for the term "abandoned".

SP got a bit more fidelity for the rerelease but that was it. If they actually added anything maybe people would go play it more/again? But sure if they don't release anything no one bothers with SP anymore so they don't have to release anything, QED :smuggo:
-Orv, probably.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 16, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is GTA: Online any good?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Man, I like Control, but boy do I suck at video games. Especially 1st or 3rd person games while using a controller. I do pretty much all my pc gaming on my TV with a controller now, I think I would be a lot better if I was using M+K. Just died like 15 times to that first flying boss. Ugggggggh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I enjoy checking in with the living trainwreck that is fallout 76 from time to time so I watched this, and the short version is it's still competing with anthem

Glad I lived to see a reality where STALKER is considered the stable of the two big post-apoc shooters

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Memnaelar posted:

I'm sure it's rough, but has anyone given Library of Ruina a try this morning? I'm stuck working all day but I am deeply curious as to what the new Early Access from the makers of Lobotomy Corporation is looking like.

I'm still grasping some of the mechanics but it's pretty loving cool. It's a pretty direct sequel to Lobotomy Corporation and sort of borrows a couple gameplay elements from it but instead of a real-time monster management simulator it's a turn-based RPG card battler -- some of the systems could be explained a little better but the translation is solid and nothing like pre-patch Lobotomy Corp. They've also majorly improved their UI game and presentation (there's Korean voice acting and I laughed out loud when I realized there was an anime style opening video with an original song and everything)

edit:

Det_no posted:

I kind of want to but apparently it's absolutely full to the brim with spoilers for Lobotomy Corp, which I just bought, so... yeah. There's only like 3 story chapters out of 7 anyway.

Yeah if you're interested in watching the main plot of of Lobotomy Corporation unfold, avoid for now. I will say though that so far they've done a good job of giving it an interesting, stand-alone plot-- we'll see where it goes but it seems like they're going for a game in the same universe that can be enjoyed separately.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 16, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Orv posted:

Vehicles, clothes, guns. But to what end? Is anyone here still dumping any significant time into GTAV SP, or did you after you'd finished the game and the side stuff? There's no point in doing so.

Yeah that's the point. Rockstar put a lot of effort into making sure that the Single Player was good enough to sell the game, but not good enough that people would keep playing it. The goal was always maximizing monetization through GTA Online.

Orv
May 4, 2011

orcane posted:

No one's asking for the Online systems but how is porting over the cars etc. "insane"? You can even access them with a savegame editor, and they did it on PS3/X360 constantly (all the new Online cars went into a special menu and for the "HD" re-release they spawn most of them on the streets). They also didn't port a single QoL feature (eg. in the quick menu) back to SP. I think it qualifies for the term "abandoned".

SP got a bit more fidelity for the rerelease but that was it.

To me the mere idea of considering the SP able to be abandoned is insane, that's not how game development works unless your campaign is built over the course of an early access-like system. Yeah more GTAIV style expansions would have been nice but there are very few studios that are ever going to put any more effort into that kind of thing aside from bug fixing because there's no point.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Kind of? It's become a very insane place where most of your interaction with the game is discrete missions of varying types and then being griefed or doing random death matching in the open world. I don't think I'd ever like, recommend that someone start on GTA:O now after all these years but if you ever want to see some bizarre poo poo you could always load it up and go watch the absurd toys people have. Not that that's terribly worth the time or 100 something GB.

Definitely do not join now expecting to have those toys within any kind of reasonable time frame.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes and no. At least make sure to play it with friends or goons.

Don't buy shark cards.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
How many Star Citizen ships do you have Orv?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
GTAO always struck me as a place you go to get called the N word and other things.

Orv
May 4, 2011

orcane posted:

How many Star Citizen ships do you have Orv?

What?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh because you understand game development.

Orv
May 4, 2011
None.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Orv posted:

Well, I don't like multiplayer and I've never played the game before, so if I'm going to play it for the first time anyway I guess I'd rather get to access to all of the content instead of only part of it? If it's trivial to add the content to both game modes, I'd expect a developer to do so by default, simply because there's no real reason not to. If I had actually spent money on the game, I'd be pretty pissed about the developer deciding it's not worth the effort to give me the full experience just because I'm playing the "wrong" game mode.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Look Sir Droids posted:

GTAO always struck me as a place you go to get called the N word and other things.

the one time i dipped into online it was just people talking poo poo and seemingly nothing else happening so i dropped out pretty much immediately and didnt go back.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

yes yes I'd probably reply with the same thing, but several people have said it does... something?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Well, that's not great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

preface: i've only ever played a little of an older gta game, and a bunch of saints row 4

I'm a little puzzled over how you can make an MMO out of grand theft auto. From what I've seen of gameplay videos of 5, it doesn't have enough meat on its bones to support any kind of cool... multiplayer environment? Unless you want one full of griefers? So I'm a little puzzled at how it's a huge draw for rockstar.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I'm a little puzzled at how it's a huge draw for rockstar.
the crazy thing is its still one of the most popular games on twitch too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

preface: i've only ever played a little of an older gta game, and a bunch of saints row 4

I'm a little puzzled over how you can make an MMO out of grand theft auto. From what I've seen of gameplay videos of 5, it doesn't have enough meat on its bones to support any kind of cool... multiplayer environment? Unless you want one full of griefers? So I'm a little puzzled at how it's a huge draw for rockstar.

It's basically just shared space where you hang out, show off your toys and blow each other up. The servers hold a couple dozen people at a time, in the shared space of the GTAV map and then people shuffle off to do heists or regular missions and there's a fairly regular rotation of people through the server.

It's got a grind on it, it's got the shooting and griefing that attracts some people, it's got the fidelity that a lot of things don't even as old as it is so ultimately people just sink time into it. Plus with a solid group you can get up to a lot of stupid poo poo and it's a lot of fun.

I can't imagine that it'd be any fun, now or originally, as a solo player. Plus GTA roleplaying took off hard in the last couple years and gave it a second wind in Twitch which continues to draw more people in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

every time I see an advert for a new heist, new vehicles, new mechanics and whatnot I think about how I'd love to play that in a Ghost Recon WL/BP style drop in coop world