Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I mean, I think it just reflects how narcissistic Sephiroth is. When he says stuff like, "it's cool, you'll all live on in me!" it just shows that the only life he thinks is important is his own. He thinks his existence is more important than anything else, including all the people and even the planet itself. He wants to pervert the entire cycle of life to his own aggrandizement, and he sees zero problems with that. All the people he kills don't matter; they're insects to him, and will just serve to make him stronger in the end. He's got a god complex, but it doesn't seem like he really thinks killing everyone and the planet will "make them stronger" outside of "they'll be a part of me so of COURSE they'll be stronger! :downs:"

edit: Do you think he has any interest in continuing the life cycle by using all that lifestream energy to create a new biosphere of lifeforms? Once he has it all he's going to keep it for himself. I believe he says something about using it to "travel the stars", which I take to mean a very Jenova-like "go to a new planet, kill everything and take the energy, and move on to the next."

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. That's even reflected in why he suddenly cares about the planet dying now, if we're to assume he had the same realization of "Oh, the planet's going to die regardless." Like that's exactly how he frames why he doesn't want the planet to die: the memories he has with Cloud would be gone. Why he cares about that will probably be answered later on.

Like I don't think he's going to make a new biosphere and his logic is pretty much what you're saying, yeah.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 15, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Japanese folk lore have a myth about a trickster that takes the form of a teenage girl with a big hat, tank top and striped leggings because there's Marie in Persona and Kyrie in this and they seriously look almost identical

I know about the "genki girl" archetype of course (and Marie isn't even that bc she's all emo and rude), it's just weird that they have the exact same outfit

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

its a good outfit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I agree, it's just weird unless it's a deliberate reference. Like, without the hat, okay, that's a coincidence, but the hat really seals it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lol there's a theory going around that Kyrie is Yuffie or Yuffie's sister or something

And it's like

You morons. You absolute cake eaters. She's obviously supposed to REMIND you of Yuffie because that's how this whole remake works. Like how there's a "date scene" in chapter 14. It's like poetry, it rhymes, etc

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

I agree, it's just weird unless it's a deliberate reference. Like, without the hat, okay, that's a coincidence, but the hat really seals it

the reference is that she's an existing character in the canon

the onyl thing the remake added was the scarf and the hat I believe, and REMOVED the absolutely banger Bomb bomber jacket?? Square???? SQUARE??

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, I think it just reflects how narcissistic Sephiroth is. When he says stuff like, "it's cool, you'll all live on in me!" it just shows that the only life he thinks is important is his own. He thinks his existence is more important than anything else, including all the people and even the planet itself. He wants to pervert the entire cycle of life to his own aggrandizement, and he sees zero problems with that. All the people he kills don't matter; they're insects to him, and will just serve to make him stronger in the end. He's got a god complex, but it doesn't seem like he really thinks killing everyone and the planet will "make them stronger" outside of "they'll be a part of me so of COURSE they'll be stronger! :downs:"

edit: Do you think he has any interest in continuing the life cycle by using all that lifestream energy to create a new biosphere of lifeforms? Once he has it all he's going to keep it for himself. I believe he says something about using it to "travel the stars", which I take to mean a very Jenova-like "go to a new planet, kill everything and take the energy, and move on to the next."

Sephiroth's narcissism is a strange case because he only really manifested it after going batshit. Before when he was being spoiled and idolized by Shinra he was actually pretty humble and uncomfortable with it. Also there's an exception to the "everyone will be part of me" plan. Now he wants Cloud to stay by his side, he's no longer a drop in the lifestream smoothie he wants to slurp down. And I think that's because he's the only guy that's consistently kicked his rear end over the series and Sephiroth thinks that's very sexy of him.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think that a lot of the Kyrie = Yuffie stuff comes from the fact that Yuffie's music disk happens to be playing nearby when you find Johnny complaining about being robbed in Chapter 14, which I honestly think is just a coincidence. Like, what do Yuffie and Kyrie have in common besides "teenage girl thief"?

Flopsy posted:

Sephiroth's narcissism is a strange case because he only really manifested it after going batshit. Before when he was being spoiled and idolized by Shinra he was actually pretty humble and uncomfortable with it. Also there's an exception to the "everyone will be part of me" plan. Now he wants Cloud to stay by his side, he's no longer a drop in the lifestream smoothie he wants to slurp down. And I think that's because he's the only guy that's consistently kicked his rear end over the series and Sephiroth thinks that's very sexy of him.

I think this is why so many people prefer the "Sephiroth was subsumed into Jenova" interpretation over the "Sephiroth's strong will took over Jenova!"- because Seph acts completely different after going Jenova bonkers than he did before hand. And when he gets tossed into the lifestream and "dies", he changes even more- now he wants to become some sort of planetary parasite, which is very Jenova and very not Sephiroth. But oh well.

And again, that "Sephiroth fixates on Cloud" thing seems to be related to the Nojima-written Lifestream Black Lifestream White short story. Cloud, and Cloud's memory of Sephiroth, is literally the only thing keeping Sephiroth's consciousness intact in the Lifestream after he's defeated at the Northern Crater. If Cloud is gone, Sephiroth will cease to exist.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 15, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Schwartzcough posted:

I think that a lot of the Kyrie = Yuffie stuff comes from the fact that Yuffie's music disk happens to be playing nearby when you find Johnny complaining about being robbed in Chapter 14, which I honestly think is just a coincidence. Like, what do Yuffie and Kyrie have in common besides "teenage girl thief"?

Like I said, it's gotta be intentional. It's just there to make you think "she's like Yuffie" since Yuffie isn't in this game.

There are dozens of things like that, big and small. Like I said, the whole "date scene" in chapter 14 is supposed to remind you of the one in the original.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is Kyrie like Yuffie in her own story? I'm gonna have to buy this book, aren't I

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Schwartzcough posted:

I think this is why so many people prefer the "Sephiroth was subsumed into Jenova" interpretation over the "Sephiroth's strong will took over Jenova!"- because Seph acts completely different after going Jenova bonkers than he did before hand. And when he gets tossed into the lifestream and "dies", he changes even more- now he wants to become some sort of planetary parasite, which is very Jenova and very not Sephiroth. But oh well.

I can kind of see the through-line Sephiroth could have from point a to point b though. It's one thing to be considered "heroic" for fighting in a corporate army against somewhere like Wutai and then be what amounts to a celebrity, it's quite another to have the revelation that you might be the chosen one to rule over the planet if you've already been alienated enough from humanity by that point. That doesn't mean that Jenova isn't influcing him. I just see it as similar to how Cloud was being influenced. Like a feeling that you fill in the blanks for in order to justify why something's a good idea, along with the madness that comes with no sleep, obsessively binging over research and constantly thinking about Jenova, with Jenova herself essentially being like, "Aren't you tired of being nice?"

I like how there could be multiple interpretations of it, but I do like the idea that this was his first action as a "real" person. It hits harder to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just tracking down some FF7R OST videos on YouTube and found out that the Whisper Harbinger boss theme is apparently titled "Advent"

They really laid it on thick, huh?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Asema posted:

petition to rename thread FFVII Remake SOLDIER THREAD thanks

FFVII Remake Spoiler Thread - Sorry about your rear end

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

Just tracking down some FF7R OST videos on YouTube and found out that the Whisper Harbinger boss theme is apparently titled "Advent"

They really laid it on thick, huh?

Subtle ain't square's speciality. It's more or less canon you beat the piss out of the representations of Loz, Kadaj and Yazoo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Flopsy posted:

Subtle ain't square's speciality. It's more or less canon you beat the piss out of the representations of Loz, Kadaj and Yazoo.

What’s the fourth whisper then?

Also, I’m watching a speed run of the original and I just noticed there’s a giant mechanical hand on the way to Sector 5. Chekov’s lovely loving hand, waiting to vex us with a slow and not particularly fun puzzle mini game 23 years later.

Edit: the hand was okay, but they should’ve cut out either the first or second one because by the end that poo poo was getting old. That actually applies to many aspects of the Remake: they were good in principle but went on just one step too long. That’s the only serious criticism I have of the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Takoluka posted:

Is Kyrie like Yuffie in her own story? I'm gonna have to buy this book, aren't I

Kyrie works with an investigative service that tracks down missing people after Meteorfall.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

PT6A posted:

Also, I’m watching a speed run of the original and I just noticed there’s a giant mechanical hand on the way to Sector 5. Chekov’s lovely loving hand, waiting to vex us with a slow and not particularly fun puzzle mini game 23 years later.

Edit: the hand was okay, but they should’ve cut out either the first or second one because by the end that poo poo was getting old. That actually applies to many aspects of the Remake: they were good in principle but went on just one step too long. That’s the only serious criticism I have of the game.

Are you talking about the big one commanding them?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Considering that Loz, Kadaj, and Yazoo were all pieces of Sephiroth, and damaging the three of them damages the big one...

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Anyone else a little creeped out about how Chadley was clearly designed to be a white haired anime boy after Hojo's real white haired anime boy son "died"?

Actually you know what, I can't decide if it creeps me out or I find it endearing. Maybe it's both.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Anyone else a little creeped out about how Chadley was clearly designed to be a white haired anime boy after Hojo's real white haired anime boy son "died"?

Actually you know what, I can't decide if it creeps me out or I find it endearing. Maybe it's both.

Considering how he treated his original son and Chadley looks significantly younger it's firmly in the creepy category.

Waffleman_ posted:

Considering that Loz, Kadaj, and Yazoo were all pieces of Sephiroth, and damaging the three of them damages the big one...

This.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

the arm puzzles are complete garbage and i love them. the game would be worse without them

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Aerith taking cloud on a "shortcut" that turns out to be a giant waste of time compared to the direct route makes sense in universe at least

She probably went to the end and pulled all the ladders up after doing her leaf house errands

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, on a second playthrough, chapter 14 is even worse pacing. Nobody really wants to do 9 side quests at that point in the story, things feel just a bit more urgent than that.

Would have been better imo to contrive a time when everyone is together so you can side quest with the full roster

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, are the Sephiroth clones holding Masamune or is that also more Jenova cells?

Wedge potentially might have survived depending on if his grapple gun broke when he was falling off the plate tower or if it just lost its grip while he was hurtling to the ground, I can't remember how that went.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

So, are the Sephiroth clones holding Masamune or is that also more Jenova cells?

It's gotta be Jenova cells since even in the OG Sephiroth is constantly leaving his sword behind everywhere.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Clarste posted:

It's gotta be Jenova cells since even in the OG Sephiroth is constantly leaving his sword behind everywhere.

but with bigass swords

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Veib posted:

but with bigass swords

Sticking out of people...things...walls..whatever.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Wedge potentially might have survived depending on if his grapple gun broke when he was falling off the plate tower or if it just lost its grip while he was hurtling to the ground, I can't remember how that went.

Isn't it implied that Wedge got blown out of a window and fell to his death?

I think only Biggs survived, and he's probably going to have amnesia so he won't remember anything going forward.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Dell_Zincht posted:

I think only Biggs survived, and he's probably going to have amnesia so he won't remember anything going forward.

They left it open that any of them could be handwaved back, since we didn't see Wedge actually die, and Jessie's gloves were on the bedside table. But I hope it's just Biggs.
For what it's worth, the description for Chapter 12 says that Biggs was "injured" while Jessie "died". So she's dead until otherwise indicated.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
inb4 Jessie returns as a mutant monstrosity by your local crazy scientist Hojo that you have to put out of her misery while infiltrating Midgar in part 3 (to be launched in the year 2045)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
In addition to all the other horrid poo poo that's come from it, the fact that COVID-19 will almost certainly result in Part 2 taking way longer to come out is really disheartening.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yeah, but I'm saying if his grapple gun broke then RIP probably. If not, he could feasibly have swung back towards the building and crashed in through another lower window.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Beefstew posted:

In addition to all the other horrid poo poo that's come from it, the fact that COVID-19 will almost certainly result in Part 2 taking way longer to come out is really disheartening.

Another six months on a three-four year development schedule isn't all that bad

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced eight years ago by comparison

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Beefstew posted:

It’s either that or covid makes them lean into the “you can’t leave the office! Lolol” of video game development past.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sephiroth is such a mystery now, my god.

Why didn't he just let Fake Meteor hit us instead of fighting us himself? As far as I know, the only video game character that could feasibly destroy a meteor is Kirby so they'd be hosed even if it's different realm of reality where weapon choice doesn't matter and they just slap Cloud's iconic Buster Sword on his back so he can cut through a train instead of smashing it away with Nailbat.

And now that the Whispers are all set to 0 what's to stop him from showing up 23 steps out of Midgar and just decapitating most of us in one swing like

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Why didn't he just let Fake Meteor hit us instead of fighting us himself? As far as I know, the only video game character that could feasibly destroy a meteor is Kirby so they'd be hosed even if it's different realm of reality where weapon choice doesn't matter and they just slap Cloud's iconic Buster Sword on his back so he can cut through a train instead of smashing it away with Nailbat.

And now that the Whispers are all set to 0 what's to stop him from showing up 23 steps out of Midgar and just decapitating most of us in one swing like

Because he's operating thorough copies not his real body?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

Considering how he treated his original son and Chadley looks significantly younger it's firmly in the creepy category.

When even your robot son loving hates you. :v:

RareAcumen posted:

Remember in Advent Children when he totally could have just murdered Cloud but wanted to play with him like a cat plays with a mouse? It's like that except he's made it very clear that this time he does very much want Cloud alive, for Reasons. That probably means letting the other party members live...for now.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
me: *beats the game*

also me: ... what the hell's a manuscript?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A piece of paper with writing on it