Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
It's one appearance, but what an appearance. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

"you can skip all the way ahead to 28:30... so we've got what looks like 2 regular dudes"
I did not skip ahead to 28:30

I'm so proud of all my sniper kids! If only there weren't timers on pretty much every other mission.

Also did not skip ahead. When the pod revealed around 27:08 the sectapod was revealed. I was wondering why FairGame seemed so unconcerned by it when setting up the ambush

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Artist's rendition of ADVENT for the first 18 minutes.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Chuu posted:

Also did not skip ahead. When the pod revealed around 27:08 the sectapod was revealed. I was wondering why FairGame seemed so unconcerned by it when setting up the ambush

I was going to say "you are a bad man, fairgame" but he always does a good job of taking care of his soldiers. I am so glad that wasn't a timed mission.
I screwed up the delivery but the implication is that I'm pretty sure FG was setting it up as a surprise reveal for those who did skip ahead

Anyway this showcases why I love shred. It's awesome when you can get it on rangers, but surely shred on cannons + grenades makes grenadiers pretty useful against rear end in a top hat andromedons/sectopods/shieldbearers? I guess SPARKs can still do all that, though, with their cannon and heavy weapon. Also, I think I'm cursed or something because check that sectopod focusing all its attacks on one dude. Glad he was the expendable chump...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 16, 2020

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Chuu posted:

haha me three, didn't skip ahead

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also I'm kind of disappointed that the double agent order doesn't have an Advent soldier in a pod change teams in the middle of the alien turn or something similar. They set-up for combat and then aha! Flank shot! (that misses).

Edit: lmao the Sectopod could just not stand (any more) for some random trooper betraying ADVENT

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 16, 2020

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, is it just me, or does it feel like the AI cheats like hell with regards to concealed units? Three times in that video, the AI just happened to park one of its units in such a way that it technically couldn't see Reign while he was concealed, but if Reign was forced to move would've revealed him. And in the case of the Sectopod, still managed to do damage to him with its death throes.

I also vaguely remember once doing a facility mission where I snuck a reaper into the building and parked on the objective tile, only for a full pod of three enemies to walk up next to him... and then just spend several turns standing there, not doing anything while I waited for them to go back to their patrol.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, is it just me, or does it feel like the AI cheats like hell with regards to concealed units? Three times in that video, the AI just happened to park one of its units in such a way that it technically couldn't see Reign while he was concealed, but if Reign was forced to move would've revealed him. And in the case of the Sectopod, still managed to do damage to him with its death throes.

I also vaguely remember once doing a facility mission where I snuck a reaper into the building and parked on the objective tile, only for a full pod of three enemies to walk up next to him... and then just spend several turns standing there, not doing anything while I waited for them to go back to their patrol.

Sectopods always deal explosive damage in the same area around them when they die, so Reign just happened to be too close to it.

Otherwise, yes, the AI cheats when it comes to patrolling:
- The AI knows exactly where your troops are even when concealed
- The game draws a line of play between your team and the objective and will generally move pods towards that (there is an invisible objective on supply runs for this purpose)
- If more than two turns pass without you making contact with enemy, it will cause the nearest pod to patrol towards your team.

So if you have a concealed character at an objective tile, the most likely thing to happen is that pods will get close and start camping it.

bpACH fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 16, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The AI knows exactly where a stealthed/shadowed unit is so long as they can see even ONE visible XCOM unit. Its why they very rarely take cover into a position where they’re flanked by the stealthed unit.

The most obvious example of this was in xcom1, where if you used a ghost grenade/shadow device around lids, they’d all clump up around your invisible dudes, the AI telling them to run in for melee, but then not having a valid target.

For those of you who’ve played Gloomhaven with its silly “AoE doesn’t hit an invisible unit” rule, it’s basically the same thing.

Also yeah I tried to hide the sectopod but then thought the Ewoks vs. an AT would be funny so I didn’t really commit to either joke particularly well.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

the squaddie squad was a combo of stormtroopers and ewoks. stormwoks.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

There were quite a pretty clutch crits in that mission. And that one overwatch turn where nearly every shot connected was also pretty nuts.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I mean, yes, the AI "cheats", but it is also deaf and blind in weird ways. As an example: I've been playing along with the LP and tonight, I had a Ranger on the other side of a wooden fence from a Gatekeeper and two Sectoids who were camping near the objective. The Ranger gets rumbled by a pair of Priests, and the rest of the squad (except the shadowed Reaper) is too far back to see the Sectoid pod.

Long story short, the squad gets in a gunfight with the Priests, the chosen Assassin, and her summoned Lancers. The whole time, the Sectoids & friend camping the objective don't move, studiously ignoring the fact that someone on the other side of a three tile long wooden fence is exchanging shouting and shotgun blasts with their friends.

The game could have absolutely and reasonably hosed me by having the pod look around the corner, but for some reason didn't.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 16, 2020

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spoilers for a story mission below.

Can the Gatekeeper even show up before the story mission where it is supposed to? At all difficulties?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh man, that AI behaviour makes a ton of sense in the context of XCOM 1, where you want poo poo to come towards your brilliant overwatch traps. However it's totally at odds with the "be stealthy! sneak to the objective! hit and fade guerilla tactics! hell yeah, timed missions!" that XCOM 2 is shovelling at the player as fast as it can. It always makes me wonder if the game would still be fun/playable/chalenging if the AI was a bit less omniscient, and you had some options to do poo poo like set up time bombs as distractions on the other side of the map to pull pods away while you hit the objective and leg it before they can respond.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Honestly loving with the AI using Reapers is already pretty fun.

Chuu posted:

Spoilers for a story mission below.

Can the Gatekeeper even show up before the story mission where it is supposed to? At all difficulties?

Yes, they eventually show up on their own, and it ruins the vibe of the Gateway mission if you've already seen them. Late game, with the "psionic storm" sitrep, you can get more than one per mission. Same with sectopods and "automated defenses". AFAIK, Codexes and Avatars are the only enemies gated by story events.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Funny y'all ask about gatekeepers.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

S p h e r e

Also I got kill zone. Kill zone is pretty good on grenadiers imo.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The VIP mission went well because there was no grenadier on the team

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

biosterous posted:

The VIP mission went well because there was no grenadier Deadford on the team

FTFY.

Gatekeepers are colossal shits and are prime targets for whatever delete enemy buttons you can push. Stasis or Null Lances on a Psi trooper, Bluescreens, Rapid Fires, Chain Shot, Fan Fire. You really don't want them to take their turn.

FG, you handled this mission very nicely. Keep em coming!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

As I mentioned, I'm not a big fan of all the humanoids in this game, but they really knocked it out of the park with Sectopods. I love the little laser that pops up out of the top of them.

Gatekeepers are fine. Not as cool as Cyberdiscs were, but fine.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
So is The MACHINE named after Brian Wilson's friend, or something else?

Grapplejack posted:

Kill zone is pretty good on grenadiers imo.
Good synergy with holo-targeting.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hell yeah, mission accomplished! I even got to hack something!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Robert Deadford posted:

FTFY.

Gatekeepers are colossal shits and are prime targets for whatever delete enemy buttons you can push. Stasis or Null Lances on a Psi trooper, Bluescreens, Rapid Fires, Chain Shot, Fan Fire. You really don't want them to take their turn.

FG, you handled this mission very nicely. Keep em coming!

Gatekeepers aren't mechanical, they're big psionic blobs stuffed inside a metal shell. AP rounds do a number on them, though. They can also be mind controlled when you get that ability, which is fun whenever you can pull it off.

EDIT: Wait, do Gatekeepers take bonus damage from Bluescreen rounds? I could have sworn I tried that in my game and saw it not work! Whelp, shows what I know.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 17, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Gatekeepers have an extremely Apple Store vibe, unlike the more alien-seeming cyberdisks. They're definitely not my favorite enemies, although I do like the open-shell form more, and while FairGame will probably never let them do it, they look neat doing Gateway.

Also, I made a murder-buddy! :toot:

edit: wait, you didn't actually let me make the murder-buddy. But I could.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 17, 2020

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Dead Reckoning posted:

So is The MACHINE named after Brian Wilson's friend, or something else?
The MACHINE is a murderous robot programmed to end life and also play the middle infield with perfect accuracy in the fantasy fantasy baseball league FairGame and I participate in.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Hah. With the baseball theme, I thought it was a reference to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ckloLGOgVo

Gothsheep posted:

EDIT: Wait, do Gatekeepers take bonus damage from Bluescreen rounds? I could have sworn I tried that in my game and saw it not work! Whelp, shows what I know.
IIRC, gatekeepers count as mechanical when closed and biological when open. So while closed they're immune to fire, poison, etc. but are vulnerable to bluescreen and double damage from combat protocol. Which makes them easier to kill, but frankly they need it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Weirdly, they do NOT take bonus damage from whiplash when closed.

In conclusion, gatekeepers are a land of contrasts

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Right, I looked it up. Gatekeepers are hit by Bluescreen and EMP, but not by the bonus damage that Combat Protocol does against mechanical. That's what got me confused.

EDIT: Also according to the wiki, flashbangs and gas grenades do hit it like normal, but if it's in a gas cloud it will try not to move.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Oh my god, what a massacre for the Warlock. Teleporting right in the middle of an XCOM squad with no Advent backup? Poor guy barely got a single shot off, and it missed.

That's pretty hard to recover from.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
I loved the interplay between THE MACHINE and the Warlock. Their catchphrases just lined up perfectly.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
What's with the scattered Lost all over the map who are apparently non-enemies and just stand there as if "frozen" for lack of a better description.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You might want to prioritize the warlock, that's the most dangerous combo of strengths I think I've ever seen on him.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

AbstractNapper posted:

What's with the scattered Lost all over the map who are apparently non-enemies and just stand there as if "frozen" for lack of a better description.

They're already dead and dessicated. According to the introductory Lost mission - which did not feature in this LP - the Lost are the product of the weird pods the aliens dropped during XCom 1. Some people affected by the pods just died and left a husk. Others became the Lost.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Robert Deadford posted:

They're already dead and dessicated. According to the introductory Lost mission - which did not feature in this LP - the Lost are the product of the weird pods the aliens dropped during XCom 1. Some people affected by the pods just died and left a husk. Others became the Lost.

That makes sense. I didn't know about the husks part.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Robert Deadford posted:

the introductory Lost mission - which did not feature in this LP

In case anyone's wondering, you're not really missing anything. The Reapers and Skirmishers hate each other, so you drag them into a meeting and shoot Lost together until they like each other. The Assassin shows up and captures the Skirmisher guy, so you have to go rescue him later.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That skirmisher? Michael Dorn.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

So is Skirmisher first contact hardcoded if you set the lost intro?

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Reaper, actually. You get to take angry Marina Sirtis home with you. Your Skirmisher gets kidnapped and you get to do a different kind of rescue mission to unlock him permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I am not sure how the entire Star Trek: Next Gen reunion occurred but it's funny as hell.