Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Ugh, paused searching a few months ago, now we're trying to restart in a hurry because our landlord isn't renewing our lease, and Rocket Mortgage / Quicken is no longer offering Jumbo loans and say most other lenders aren't either. Now I have to try to rush through a pre-approval elsewhere. This process sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, closed just now. 30 years of debt :toot: :toot:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cool, closed just now. 30 years of debt :toot: :toot:
Mortgage means "death contract" after all.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Academician Nomad posted:

Ugh, paused searching a few months ago, now we're trying to restart in a hurry because our landlord isn't renewing our lease, and Rocket Mortgage / Quicken is no longer offering Jumbo loans and say most other lenders aren't either. Now I have to try to rush through a pre-approval elsewhere. This process sucks.

Talk to Rocket about their "high-value market" loans and see if your targeted region applies. It's possible that's just a bay area thing, but out here they're processing gently caress-off-huge loans as standard conventionals because there's nothing conventional about the bay area market. The jumbo limit simply doesn't work out here, so I have a $750K verified approval on a conventional mortgage. Maybe your area applies too?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Re the inspected house, leme guess it was built in 60-70.
Edit:whoops missed the date yep...

Asbestos isn't terrible if it's tile that's not in poo poo shape just cover it up and don't turn it into dust and you are okay. The poo poo won't mesobook don't com you just by existing, it's when you make it airborne and breathe it in is when it becomes bad.

Water in the crawl? Is there a sump?
Mold in the attic is a bit concerning this means the roof has issues but also depends on if it's a bit or if it's on insulation etc.

Cloth wire.. lots of 60s houses are still standing.

Fuse boxes and breakers. Less than desierable but fixable and probably better than a stablock panel.

Double tap? Welp time to upgrade the service or find room in the fuse box.

There's a lot there though and straightening it out means $$

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 15, 2020

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Sundae posted:

Talk to Rocket about their "high-value market" loans and see if your targeted region applies. It's possible that's just a bay area thing, but out here they're processing gently caress-off-huge loans as standard conventionals because there's nothing conventional about the bay area market. The jumbo limit simply doesn't work out here, so I have a $750K verified approval on a conventional mortgage. Maybe your area applies too?

Even though it's the loving ridiculous Boston area market, nope. At least according to the email I got from the mortgage agent - all they're offering are conventional, up to $690k. Around here that might get you a 1BR if you're not picky, which doesn't work for me.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Just got the full report back from the inspector.

Turns out that there is a crack in the foundation for both the unattached garage AND the house, on top of everything else.

Time to look for somewhere new.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Even though it's the loving ridiculous Boston area market, nope. At least according to the email I got from the mortgage agent - all they're offering are conventional, up to $690k. Around here that might get you a 1BR if you're not picky, which doesn't work for me.

Oof, that sucks. :( Boston market is going absolutely bonkers right now, too. Sorry. :(

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Sundae posted:

750k is within the conforming limit for san francisco county. 690k is the limit for suffolk county per https://www.fhfa.gov/DataTools/Tools/Pages/Conforming-Loan-Limits-Map.aspx they're already taking the 'high value' market into account.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

gwrtheyrn posted:

750k is within the conforming limit for san francisco county. 690k is the limit for suffolk county per https://www.fhfa.gov/DataTools/Tools/Pages/Conforming-Loan-Limits-Map.aspx they're already taking the 'high value' market into account.

Yep, and behold the magnificent estates you can get for $690k near me:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/364-Marlborough-St-APT-B2-Boston-MA-02115/59167295_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/393-Marlborough-St-APT-3-Boston-MA-02115/59169088_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/127-Beacon-St-3R-Boston-MA-02116/2079624197_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/43-Westland-Ave-UNIT-810-Boston-MA-02115/295324858_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/170-Tremont-St-APT-1106-Boston-MA-02111/59164802_zpid/

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 15, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly I wish I'd bought a lovely 320 sq ft studio when I was 22 rather than pay rent for the last 14 years and piss it all away towards my landlord's corvette and kid's soccer lessons

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

There are a bunch of lenders who aren't acknowledging those limits, though. NFCU and Better declined to consider those conforming and insisted on using the national limits that only have exclusions for AK/HI. To them, it was Jumbo or nothing for the bay area, and their interest rates reflected it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Sundae posted:

There are a bunch of lenders who aren't acknowledging those limits, though. NFCU and Better declined to consider those conforming and insisted on using the national limits that only have exclusions for AK/HI. To them, it was Jumbo or nothing for the bay area, and their interest rates reflected it.

Yeah, just because your county is counted as high cost, doesn't mean whatever lender cares, especially if they're not local. Local brokers / credit union are more likely to know respect that, while not-local places are less likely to give a poo poo because they either want to just have one limit for their entire market or because they don't generally do business in your area

Yep, and behold the magnificent estates you can get for $690k near me:

Are you putting 0% down? Isn't the limit based on the loan amount and not the purchase price?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Are you putting 0% down? Isn't the limit based on the loan amount and not the purchase price?

That is correct, loan amount is where it's capped for jumbo.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The limit for jumbo is the loan limit, 20% down on a 690k limit is 862k. There are still lenders doing 20-25% down on jumbo loans. Check with a mortgage broker or just call around more. Regional lenders will do jumbo with less than 20% down. Like Patelco in the bay area.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The place I'm buying is 10+ bedrooms and 6 bathrooms for a little over a mil and it is literally 11 minutes from the address you listed. Just get the hell out of Boston proper and look at like Revere/Chelsea/Everett, or suck it up and go to stabbyville in Boston. Everyone is being pushed further out and these places are getting rapidly gentrified.

On top of that, time and space are rapidly losing meaning in this post-covid world; a lot of white collar work is realizing just how much can be done remotely and I'm thinking once everyone has a taste it's going to be transformative to real estate.

edit: also lol at the Beacon st apt, I have a friend who owns one of those, but that's because he's a professor and MIT bought him a 2 million dollar apt to keep him from working at a competing college

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 15, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

tater_salad posted:

Re the inspected house, leme guess it was built in 60-70.
Edit:whoops missed the date yep...

Asbestos isn't terrible if it's tile that's not in poo poo shape just cover it up and don't turn it into dust and you are okay. The poo poo won't mesobook don't com you just by existing, it's when you make it airborne and breathe it in is when it becomes bad.

Water in the crawl? Is there a sump?
Mold in the attic is a bit concerning this means the roof has issues but also depends on if it's a bit or if it's on insulation etc.

Cloth wire.. lots of 60s houses are still standing.

Fuse boxes and breakers. Less than desierable but fixable and probably better than a stablock panel.

Double tap? Welp time to upgrade the service or find room in the fuse box.

There's a lot there though and straightening it out means $$
Yeah, we had some mold in the attic of the house we bought, but the underlying moisture cause was fixable (the shower in the master bath was just vented into the attic) so we went ahead with it.

We have water in the crawl space of my cottage, but I am knocking that fucker down "soon."

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

it all comes down to scope of issue etc. a spot of mold here or there isn't going to kill anyone but if it's the entire attic or a huge portion that may indicate roof issues then it's not bad.. if its kuz he fan's not veted / no attic ventilation that's a bit better than a new roof.

My GF flipped her poo poo when our inspection report came through and I was like most of this poo poo is easy weekend warrior type stuff or things in areas we plan on changing anyways.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Feelin this pretty hard

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've had the living room walls primed since February, been putting off buying paint due to Covid but in reality it's a case of "soon".

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Should I buy a house? Thanks in advance.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

vs Dinosaurs posted:

No.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Buying a house sucks. But it sucks like 5-10% less than renting.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Do you plan to live in it for a while? Are you in an area of the country where anyone under 60 is trying like hell to escape?

Bought my first condo 3 weeks ago. Fixing all the minor things once you move in is a lot of stress. But even estimating pretty high repair costs and just a flat value appreciation (instead of the double digit increases of the past decade), a very conservative 10 year estimate is mid 5 digits in terms of savings and/or additional equity.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Why is my ‘cost-to-replace’ quote 3 times the buildings assessed value?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

street doc posted:

You probably have an older home with things that would be really expensive to reproduce (woodwork, actual hardwood floors, etc).

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Do you hate money? And having it?

Your answers will light your path.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

You probably have an older home with things that would be really expensive to reproduce (woodwork, actual hardwood floors, etc).

Code upgrades and depreciation as well. I don't know if it's cheaper to do a raised foundation, but I assume my house would become a slab. Labor is also a heck of a lot more expensive now than even 15 years ago, let alone 50+ years ago.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And "assessed value" is not the same thing as "actual value", in some areas it can be a wildly, hilariously different number with no connection to actual sale value.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

street doc posted:

We went with a "like or worse" not "like or better" quote, if our condo unit gets eaten by a black hole somehow we'd only get linoleum floors and laminate kitchen countertops (these things are explicitly called out in the policy) and unpainted drywall our quote went from like $300/mo to $60/mo but met the underwriter's requirements

Probably not for everyone, we can afford to take the hit if the black hole emerges in the living room, and I do all my own repair work because I don't trust repair people to do it right

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
my house had the following problems when I bought it:

attic had rat feces over
ducting was broken
asbestos tile on the floor
drywall was broken in parts near the kitchen
the kitchen dish faucet was leaking
a huge insane amount of trash left in the back
there were two different toilets in the backyard
the entire backyard was overgrown
there was a giant 'made by previous owner' wooden wagon thing in the front of the house
the gutters were broken

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is that a haiku?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ntan1 posted:

my house had the following problems when I bought it:

attic had rat feces over
ducting was broken
asbestos tile on the floor
drywall was broken in parts near the kitchen
the kitchen dish faucet was leaking
a huge insane amount of trash left in the back
there were two different toilets in the backyard
the entire backyard was overgrown
there was a giant 'made by previous owner' wooden wagon thing in the front of the house
the gutters were broken

Parents were both Charles Manson (long story)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"Siri, show me a portal to hell within my price range."

$799,950.

quote:

2 Separate Living Spaces With a BREATHTAKING BAY VIEW? YUP! (Sundae edit: Nope. There is no bay view unless you cut down the trees.) Live in one and rent out the other! 3/1 Upstairs and 2/1 plus a small den downstairs! Home has been freshly painted inside and out! Brand new plush carpeting throughout! Very cool Sun/bonus Room off of kitchen. Newer roll up garage door! Lots of cool little extras throughout. Home can easily be turned back into 1 SFR (stairway still there). (:wtc:) Huge lot offers many options! Must See to believe!

The huge lot is 0.17 acres, btw.

I desperately want to ask my buyer agent to get me the disclosures on this for the laughs, but the last one I asked her to send me literally had dead bodies and she added "You sure do know how to pick them, Sundae," so I'm going to give her a break on this one. :v: (In the disclosures, multiple members of the family had died of natural causes in various rooms of the house. Not like "built on top of their graves" or anything, but still.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 16, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sundae posted:

(In the disclosures, multiple members of the family had died of natural causes in various rooms of the house. Not like "built on top of their graves" or anything, but still.)

This is nuts. Is that a standard disclosure??

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Inner Light posted:

This is nuts. Is that a standard disclosure??

Yeah, there's a section in the disclosure form that asks if any deaths are known. The answer was yes, with "Multiple family members (natural causes)." Given the age of the house, I expect it's just one of those things where Grandpa and Grandma both kicked it in their sleep.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What is the standard remediation for poltergeist infestation?

Asking for a friend.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Just get rid of the gravestones, and no one's ever the wiser.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i aint moving bodies unless you pay body moving money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would guess that prior to the modern era of basically everyone dying in hospitals, a lot more people died in their home; and also of course the older the home, the more time there's been for people to get old and die there.

It's odd that it was disclosed. But yeah if you buy an older house, probably someone died in it. :shrug: that's life