Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Orv posted:

It's basically just shared space where you hang out, show off your toys and blow each other up. The servers hold a couple dozen people at a time, in the shared space of the GTAV map and then people shuffle off to do heists or regular missions and there's a fairly regular rotation of people through the server.

It's got a grind on it, it's got the shooting and griefing that attracts some people, it's got the fidelity that a lot of things don't even as old as it is so ultimately people just sink time into it. Plus with a solid group you can get up to a lot of stupid poo poo and it's a lot of fun.

I can't imagine that it'd be any fun, now or originally, as a solo player. Plus GTA roleplaying took off hard in the last couple years and gave it a second wind in Twitch which continues to draw more people in.

You're making it sound weirdly cozy, and perfect for shooting the poo poo with a group of friends. That... actually makes more sense as to why people want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

Realtalk: if you have no idea about the current state of GTA5, this recent USGamer piece explains a whole lot about the fact that SP was just abandoned outright and the cash/power creep the MP has turned into. It's a wild read if you're like me and didn't touch the thing.

It's pretty insane but isn't Rockstar making like $100 mil a month off the the MP at this point? Why the gently caress would you spend any dev time on the SP when you're making more per month then most games ever make?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Awesome! posted:

the crazy thing is its still one of the most popular games on twitch too.

That's mostly down to RP servers exploding in popularity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm so glad I checked out of the franchise after GTA II

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

John Murdoch posted:

That's mostly down to RP servers exploding in popularity.

is that what all these mr chang streams are?

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're making it sound weirdly cozy, and perfect for shooting the poo poo with a group of friends. That... actually makes more sense as to why people want to play it.

It's pretty much that, yeah. This is kind of a weird angle to explain from but people have been making youtube content about GTAO for years and a vast swathe of that content is nothing more than X friends hanging out and doing dumb bullshit in GTAO instead of a convenience store parking lot, basically.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It's like those Multiplayer RPG mods for San Andreas except much worse because there's no goals or anything other than cash.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Awesome! posted:

is that what all these mr chang streams are?

Looks like it? I don't really keep up with the scene.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Orv posted:

It's pretty much that, yeah. This is kind of a weird angle to explain from but people have been making youtube content about GTAO for years and a vast swathe of that content is nothing more than X friends hanging out and doing dumb bullshit in GTAO instead of a convenience store parking lot, basically.

So it’s corporate Gary’s Mod then.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Det_no posted:

It's like those Multiplayer RPG mods for San Andreas except much worse because there's no goals or anything other than cash.

Also no one plays anything competitive ever because there was zero effort put into netcode, balance, or even basic design. After about 20 hours there's nothing to do but endlessly grind the same poo poo to unlock stuff at an absolutely glacial pace. TBH I'm kinda surprised GTAO isn't the most popular game in Korea, because it definitely has that K-MMO "gently caress you" pacing.

GTA Online is horrible. GTA 4 multiplayer was pretty trash, but it was still better than GTA Online. I really wish we had got something scriptable instead, I mean hell with the tools available to them you can see how much cool poo poo various communities have created and how the official multiplayer pales in comparison. It's just a really cynical revenue generator.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

So it’s corporate Gary’s Mod then.

In terms of the kind of fun people get out of it, sorta kinda, yeah.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've never played an Anno game but I've had my eye on 1800 from the epic sale. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I'm not sure if my PC can handle it. Anyone have experience playing this on a slightly below average PC?

I wouldn't recommend it. My PC's pretty decent and it takes everything I've got.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I don't think anyone's surprised Rockstar is going for the money grab, we're just bummed out that we'll never get that cool, open ended sandbox that GTAO-but-SP could've been.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GTA5 single player probably wasn’t abandoned it’s just bad.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think GTAO was worth it if you were there from launch but not really a lot of fun now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I enjoy checking in with the living trainwreck that is fallout 76 from time to time so I watched this, and the short version is it's still competing with anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwQbSdwNQRU

I played quite a bit of Fallout 76 and never encountered anything even close to this. It's just a multiplayer version of Fallout 4, its up to you whether you believe that's a good thing or not (I do)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've never played an Anno game but I've had my eye on 1800 from the epic sale. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I'm not sure if my PC can handle it. Anyone have experience playing this on a slightly below average PC?

Maybe check out Anno 1404, aka Dawn of Discovery. It's like, the most chill game ever, it's still beautiful, and the gameplay is pretty similar.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played through all the heists with my friends back when they first came out and we had a very good time with them, mostly because it puts you in a lobby with just your group when doing these so you can largely ignore the random free for all that was freeroam mode. The problem was that the heists were long multi part missions that we usually stretched out to a couple days to even finish one heist, and when completed you split the winnings with your group. These things were pretty hard to complete, and I would like to see what portion of players of GTAO have even finished most of all of them because the money you got in the end was paltry compared to the prices of the cool stuff they were selling. The time commitment to earn money through the heists made them inherently not worth doing because the open world is such a madhouse that unless you want to pay real money for cool poo poo you're not going to really be able to use it on much. Especially if you want to do more heists because hey guess what, the new Doomsday heist they added require you to buy yet another massively expensive building to start your heist in because this was different than the other heists for some reason.

They also added other side ways to get money like stealing goods in bulk through short missions, but to participate in these you had to buy yet another building, this time a warehouse, to run this racket out of. This was the last thing I did in GTAO with my friends, the missions were decently fun but all took place in the open world lobbies with everyone else, and while you're in the mission it pings the map to let everyone know you're hauling expensive poo poo so you were always at risk of randoms coming to gently caress with you because they're bored. The last thing you need to do to get money from this racket was take the goods you've amassed in your warehouse through the multiple missions you've run to collect them and drive it all to the seller. We got blown up on the way to the seller by some dickhead in a VTOL jet and lost everything. Days of doing missions to save up enough stuff to sell for a decent payday and it was gone in a second because this random motherfucker in the server had a jet and nothing better to do with it.

Edit: Basically this

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think GTAO was worth it if you were there from launch but not really a lot of fun now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Unrelated to the current discussion, I got a very specific recommendation from Steam's frontpage that for once happened to be perfect, but I also have no idea how to tune this better

checking the store page shows this, which is a feature that I just remembered that exists but that I have no idea where to find in my profile.

I thought of checking my Curators page but I also have no idea where to go there from my profile's settings, I only ever used the feature to follow Gold Plated Games :saddowns:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
gently caress around under Steam Labs, that's where a lot of the new, almost-good rec engine is located.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

nice

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I've been playing the Steam version of Scythe and it's been awesome so far, but quick question: for everyone to play with the expansion that gives 2 more factions, does everyone need to own it or just one person?

I'll ask one more time :pray:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cowcaster posted:

i haven't played either so keep that in mind, but i do know that mechwarrior 5 was made by the same guys who did mechwarrior online and that game was a disaster, so i would have major reservations about mechwarrior 5

Mw5 is fine (and mwo is too, within its fairly limited bounds, after a long time wandering in the wilderness). They've been patching it regularly and you can fix anything that annoys you with mods.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, Troubleshooter gets pretty hard as you progress. I've got my party of 5 around level 26 or so and I keep barely scraping by the story missions. Maybe it's time for me to figure out how to actually craft some better equipment and take a long look at my masteries. Either that or I need to learn to NOT send Albus and Irene up front alone and get them murdered by lucky crits.

Yeah, if you came in from XCOM the first few chapters could probably be sleepwalked through even on Hard, but around the 20's it really picks up on the challenge. I haven't gone into item crafting yet, but retuning Masteries is probably the best way to make characters stronger, don't sleep on the percentage or per level ones, plus you probably unlocked a lot of good ones from subclass level ups.

Have you been picking up quests from Shooter Street? I took a detour through there when I felt the main story was kicking my rear end and it has a nice mix of short missions and ones you can do from normal cases, plus the main story will require you to increase your company level from missions there at one point. If you are doing the local quest backlog make sure to turn on Challenge mode for them to be interesting to do.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is GTA: Online any good?

if you ever thought the movie Heat would be a badass video game then yes. i have 200+ hours in GTA5 and its all online, heisting and doing missions with my friends. i have no idea what the singleplayer game is about.

playing it with pubbies is, however, terrible.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nice

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I enjoy checking in with the living trainwreck that is fallout 76 from time to time so I watched this, and the short version is it's still competing with anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwQbSdwNQRU

I can't remember why but I do remember Skill Up being a terrible idiot so I would suggest to those interested to actually play the game for themselves and have their own opinion.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I mean I imagine GTA online is just a giant world of pure chaos. Like single player old school GTA but online.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does GTA online have some sort of story progression or is it just "go here to do this activity PS buy shark cards"?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Can I mod GTA SP to make it a chaos sim like Vice City?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Looks like all BATTLETECH dlc is on sale. is it worth getting? scores on steam seem low

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leal posted:

Does GTA online have some sort of story progression or is it just "go here to do this activity PS buy shark cards"?

Yes but it's kind of disjointed. Originally on making a character - presumably it's still the case but who knows - you would be picked up by Lamar at LSX and introduced to the characters that gave you the original missions GTAO had. These were SP-ish missions, go here, shoot these dudes, retrieve a thing, return a thing or some combination thereof. Most of the characters handing these out were from SP and the missions were by and large pretty mundane.

Then heists happened, Lester shows up and runs you through a series of increasingly unlikely heist missions that were basically one step removed from CoD level spectacle nonsense but still vaguely rational and grounded in reality. Then, IIRC and I might not, the government gets involved and you become their catspaw doing various James Bond level heists and missions and dealing with a bunch of increasingly insane bullshit. The through-line through all this is constant, one narrative leads to another and they frequently reference previous missions and such.

Ultimately though, GTA:O is about a mute psychopath with a questionable fashion sense and an almost inhuman ability to murder trillions of people in order to make a quick buck.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

preface: i've only ever played a little of an older gta game, and a bunch of saints row 4

I'm a little puzzled over how you can make an MMO out of grand theft auto. From what I've seen of gameplay videos of 5, it doesn't have enough meat on its bones to support any kind of cool... multiplayer environment? Unless you want one full of griefers? So I'm a little puzzled at how it's a huge draw for rockstar.

GTAV has some really loving cool co-op missions. Basically, think Payday, but with all of the setup for the heist (scoping out the place, hacking poo poo, picking the right vehicles for the job) as well as the heist itself, with different players having hugely different jobs.

It's also got some neat game modes, which they keep pumping out. There was a Tron Lightcycles event, there was a Terminator 2 style truck vs motorbikes, there was a slasher mode, races have always been cool as hell and a lot of folks just pump money into pimping their ride.

I actually think GTAV hides the most fun arcade racer on the market at the moment. Nothing else has really taken that space occupied by the simpler Gran Turismo games, or Ridge Racer/Burnout, and GTA kinda does both ends of the spectrum quite nicely. There is a number of people that enjoy it just to gently caress about, which Rockstar caters to with random events that happen in the open world, or bounty hunts and poo poo. GTA Online has a lot of quality content, but it's all hidden beneath the bullshit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When I watched Fast and Furious 9, it struck me as GTA Online The Movie. At the end all the characters even had their own custom cars, it looked straight out of a cutscene. Unfortunately the gameplay is ruined by laser accurate enemies and extremely small health pools. And the only way to restore your health is by eating snacks. The way you get good at eating snacks is by getting good at navigating an insanely lovely menu where the snacks are like 5 button presses deep.

But really the thing that ultimately kills GTA Online for me is the CONSTANT load screens. The last time I tried to play with my buddy we ended up getting bored during the load screens and doing something else. And the way they populate their multiplayer lobbies makes no sense whatsoever. So if you start a lobby for any activity, you have to wait for the minimum amount of people to join. As soon as the minimum amount of people join, the game starts in 2 minutes. You have one opportunity to extend this timer by 1 minute. Did you want to wait for more people before starting? Well, gently caress you, you can't. Over time this has resulted in basically every single activity being abandoned.

So one way you make money is by buying a business and doing business activities. Say you have a friend that wants to help you. That friend CAN come help you, but he will be basically making no money at all while doing so. As you can imagine, this is loving stupid.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 16, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Looks like all BATTLETECH dlc is on sale. is it worth getting? scores on steam seem low

My understanding as someone who bounced off Battletech pretty hard but was also looking for this information in the thread here was that the DLC is mixed more because people are grr Paradox rather than it being bad.

It's focused on expanding the content of the career mode rather than interfacing at all with the original campaign, so if you wanna play that whole thing then that's what the DLC is there for. Also that game got modded out the rear end so look into that as well.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
A lot of the problems with GTA Online stem from 2 factors:

The first is it's been running since 2013, so yeah for a new player there's an overwhelming amount of vehicles, weapons and businesses and very little in game way to tell what's actually worth your hard-earned GTAbux. The GTA thread here can help with that, fwiw - you don't need nearly as much as you think to be effective.

The second is that back in, oh I dunno, 2010? when they were drawing up the design docs, Rockstar weren't expecting MP to be the main moneymaker. I can't remember if this was ever confirmed, but the expectation was that they'd keep it fresh with big expansion DLCs like they did for GTA 4. Anyway, then they opened Online up and found that the stupidly overpriced GTAbuck bundles were making them a metric fuckton of money. Like, an absurd amount. Still are! So they more or less abandoned single player and shifted their resources to Online. Thing is, the game wasn't designed to be a constantly updated multiplayer world.
It took them, what, 3 years to add the originals heists, which are essentially just big, linked contact missions? 6 years to add a mostly freeroam heist? 4 years to figure out how to do weapon upgrades (and the Mk2s are technically completely separate weapons)? 6 years to figure out how to rearrange the vehicle call-in menu?
The end result is that the player experience for some parts of this game is nothing short of completely awful (good lord, the UI). This is because the decisions they made basically a decade ago with different assumptions can't be meaningfully altered, they're too deeply baked into how the game works. I'm interested to see if they can improve for GTA 6 whenever that shows, although RDR2 doesn't have me too hopeful.

Like any online game, both those problems are lessened if you play with cool people (so, not pubbies). Again, the thread here can help you with that!

Playing with others isn't for everyone though, I get it!
So here's another piece of advice for new GTA-havers who want to check out Online. And if you're not strictly here for the single player story it's probably worth a look, the Online characters feel a lot tougher and you can customize them much more.
If you launch Online via the Escape menu, there's an option to launch an invite only session*. It locks out a few of the grinding activities, but lets you play around in freeroam without anyone else able to join and ruin your fun. There's also a setting in options where you can launch the soloable missions (contact missions, races) under the same rules, so you really don't have to see other players if you don't want. If you do this, then you've effectively got all the customization and Online-only toys plus the PvE/racing game modes in an effectively SP environment. There's some tools/mods that go further, but this is a good place to start.

Hope this helps a few of you get the most out of your new free game!

*You may have to get thru the Online tutorial first, I can't remember. It's a short tutorial for a Rockstar game at least.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah I thought the Battletech dlc was good. The game ships with a ton of content so you aren't likely to run out, but they add interesting stuff. I bounced off Battletech a couple times but ended up really enjoying a good 60-ish hours with it.

I also have no ill will towards Paradox and I've never understood the rage they inspire. Every Paradox game I've played has felt pretty complete. I only buy the dlc if I'm still playing the game and want more or like the specific additions and It doesn't make me angry to know there is always more dlc out there than I care to purchase.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, if you came in from XCOM the first few chapters could probably be sleepwalked through even on Hard, but around the 20's it really picks up on the challenge. I haven't gone into item crafting yet, but retuning Masteries is probably the best way to make characters stronger, don't sleep on the percentage or per level ones, plus you probably unlocked a lot of good ones from subclass level ups.

Have you been picking up quests from Shooter Street? I took a detour through there when I felt the main story was kicking my rear end and it has a nice mix of short missions and ones you can do from normal cases, plus the main story will require you to increase your company level from missions there at one point. If you are doing the local quest backlog make sure to turn on Challenge mode for them to be interesting to do.

Yeah, I've been doing them as I go along. I think my main problem is really just that the White Tiger gang is ridiculously OP. Their random gun guys have an ability that increases their hit rate if one of them missed, their melee guys have loving Impulse Field, their advanced melee guys seem to have a constantly 100%+ block rate, they have basically no mages to easily gank... Their snipers are pretty horrifying too, that map where you're trying to fight past a barricade while snipers rain down shots at you was a total bloodbath that ended with LITERALLY my entire cast killed, had to limp past the finish line with generic police officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, I've been doing them as I go along. I think my main problem is really just that the White Tiger gang is ridiculously OP. Their random gun guys have an ability that increases their hit rate if one of them missed, their melee guys have loving Impulse Field, their advanced melee guys seem to have a constantly 100%+ block rate, they have basically no mages to easily gank... Their snipers are pretty horrifying too, that map where you're trying to fight past a barricade while snipers rain down shots at you was a total bloodbath that ended with LITERALLY my entire cast killed, had to limp past the finish line with generic police officers.

You might have to reset your entire mastery board across the board and really spec out your characters for specific roles. My Irene/Albus are tanked out, while the rest of my party has Impulse field to prevent one-shots if they get past the tanks.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the story missions are less about skills and more about the layout. And also keep multiple mastery board sets, cause there's a few missions where you're fighting against your own team and it's better to fight them without any gear.