Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

beanieson posted:

Someone explain how xoxoxo is supposed to be hugs and kisses

The X vaguely resembles two sets of puckered lips coming together.

So obviously the O is supposed to resemble your widening rear end in a top hat as you lean forward for a hug (the original, proper way to hug, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

dirksteadfast posted:

So obviously the O is supposed to resemble your widening rear end in a top hat as you lean forward for a hug (the original, proper way to hug, of course).

Oh cool thanks

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

This just reminded me of the fact that Wolverine is two Batmans kissing.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just realised that Japanese has an exception to the "every consonant has a vowel sound after it, even if it's elided". The last n in words like "shonen" has no vowel sound after it. I looked it up, to check.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hyperlynx posted:

I just realised that Japanese has an exception to the "every consonant has a vowel sound after it, even if it's elided". The last n in words like "shonen" has no vowel sound after it. I looked it up, to check.

Something else I picked up watching Gaki no Tsukai is that those count as their own syllable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-pS6V5jJs

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

rydiafan posted:

This just reminded me of the fact that Wolverine is two Batmans kissing.

oh my god

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

knife_of_justice posted:

I’m still in awe of how America still has appointment-to-view game shows on at prime time, and featuring actual members of the public.

In the UK in the same time slot we’re pretty much limited to talent shows or our version of Dancing with the Stars.

Eh, there's University Challenge and stuff.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MariusLecter posted:

Haha, you though manila folders were "vanilla folders".

Humphreys posted:

LOL, wait til you get it.

It was a joke that was slightly too subtle, apparently.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Safety Biscuits posted:

Eh, there's University Challenge and stuff.

And 'Pointless', the single greatest quiz ever created.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sweevo posted:

You misspelled Only Connect.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
None of them are on at the moment. gently caress you, the BBC.

(Pointless celebs doesn't count, Jesus that Bucks Fizz woman was a moron)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

Something else I picked up watching Gaki no Tsukai is that those count as their own syllable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-pS6V5jJs

I think I speak more Japanese than I do Spanish, but certainly not enough of either to follow that.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Beachcomber posted:

It was a joke that was slightly too subtle, apparently.

I understood it but mostly because I've spent a lot of time studying at the liberry.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sweevo posted:

This has a good gimmick, but

rydiafan posted:

this is where it's at.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yeah as a US game show enthusiast the Brits are a million miles ahead of us when it comes to anything remotely academic

that said, all their prizes are like, nice cutlery, so...

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BBC shows have strict rules about prizes because they're ultimately paid from people's TV Licence fees, and the old people who complain about everything would get really pissy if they started giving people cars and such. So you might get a token amount like a few hundred or maybe £1000 for winning, but often the prize is just a trophy.

Non-BBC shows give away a lot more, although that wasn't always the case either. A lot of 70s/80s shows were real cheapskates - darts-based quiz 'Bullseye' used to give away alarm clocks, toasters, and the star prize was maybe a VCR or a low-end stereo.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 23:33 on May 17, 2020

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

BBC shows have strict rules about prizes because they're ultimately paid from people's TV Licence fees, and the old people who complain about everything would get really pissy if they started giving people cars and such. So you might get a token amount like a few hundred or maybe £1000 for winning, but often the prize is just a trophy.

Non-BBC shows give away a lot more, although that wasn't always the case either. A lot of 70s/80s shows were real cheapskates - darts-based quiz 'Bullseye' used to give away alarm clocks, toasters, and the star prize was maybe a VCR or a low-end stereo.

A darts-based quiz show. "I'm sorry, the correct answer was Finland. Now Bill will throw another dart at you."

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Bullseye had a caravan or a speedboat or something for top prize, it's just that nobody ever won it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Evidently a couple-inch wide funnel will collect rainwater pretty well. I'm not really sure why I presumed it wouldn't collect much (it's not pouring out or anything), but it has.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the real prize is the fun you had along the way :shobon:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Evidently a couple-inch wide funnel will collect rainwater pretty well. I'm not really sure why I presumed it wouldn't collect much (it's not pouring out or anything), but it has.

A couple inch wide funnel might get blocked off if you get a hotdog in there, though.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

A couple inch wide funnel might get blocked off if you get a hotdog in there, though.

Morally Inept rereg spotted

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Morally Inept rereg spotted

In-joke misser sported.

Bibs famously choked on a hotdog.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

maybe the real prize is the fun you had along the way :shobon:

Mods, please ban this filth.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

In-joke misser sported.

I just wanted to post a pic of a dog and shoehorned it in. My posting is still skilful and full of majesty.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Twice!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Actually I think it was once each on two different hot dogs

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

rydiafan posted:

What sort of crazy says that when ITV are making Catchphrase again?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Actually I think it was once each on two different hot dogs

That's what I meant. Sorry for being unclear that the esophageal events in question were caused by different tube steaks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

In-joke misser sported.

Even more famously, whenever that is erroneously brought up, I've had to bring up the fact that I've got a chronic immune disorder (eosinophilic esophagiti) usually discovered when food gets impacted halfway down my food pipe. I suppose it counts for the thread, since most folks can't believe there's a "yeah, your food pipe doesn't expand like it should" disease.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 19:20 on May 18, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So you didn’t choke on two hot dogs?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There's no dinosaur called Petradactyl. It was teachers mispronouncing pterodactyl

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's no dinosaur called Petradactyl. It was teachers mispronouncing pterodactyl

Pterodactyls weren’t dinosaurs either.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They were in Jurassic park, the movie about dinosaurs. Ergo,

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh, so now these pterodactyl snowflakes don't want to be associated with the rest of the dinosaurs? They really need to get over themselves.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

They were in Jurassic park, the movie about dinosaurs. Ergo,

This checks out, as Jeff Goldblum was also in that movie, and he too is a dinosaur.

A goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Then why does one make up the chestplate of the Dino Megazord, huh? Next you'll try to tell me sabretooth tigers and woolly mammoths weren't dinosaurs either.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hey stop pronouncing it that way :(

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

beanieson posted:

This checks out, as Jeff Goldblum was also in that movie, and he too is a dinosaur.

A goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus.

Tyrannosaurus Sex
:cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pterosaurs 'cos they soared in the sky obviously.