Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i can't get the image of a fat boomer flying in to a planet on his lil rascal in search of an open restaurant, getting stuck in the grav well and going boom in the applebees parking lot out of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The gangs are going to work extra hard to try and contain it

It's pretty amazing that there's basically 3 people on earth who need to die to make covid 19 go away, and one of them is the leader of their mob, one is a mob stooge, and one is the sworn enemy of the mob.

Gonna be interesting to see which turns up missing first.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Still can't get over the fact that Americans are so dumb they brought assault rifles to a virus fight

this is my antivirus

*wiggles index finger*

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*falls out of rascal scooter, breaks index finger, jagged bones sticking out*

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*index finger gets roni cum infection*

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*u die ur family owes happy america health inc. $880,000*

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
sis dont have antibodies just a case of overwhelming apocalypse anxiety which like very identifiable

but how tf did she manage a antibody test in mi b4 me in tech heaven i ask u

i probs should make calls about that huh

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*ur family votes trumo and dies* :smugdon:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*ur family votes joe and dies* :smugdon:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*ur cyberskeleton votes for cyber miller*

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

For context, she already had the roni a few months back and posted recently that she still has hosed up lungs.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
i am going to send bill gates my piss or w/e when the feds say its ok instead of just taking the initiative & mailing him more fluids

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Still can't get over the fact that Americans are so dumb they brought assault rifles to a virus fight

the assault rifles weren't to fight the virus, they were to fight government tyranny
https://twitter.com/ssharmaTX/status/1261399576256208897?s=20

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Atrocious Joe posted:

the assault rifles weren't to fight the virus, they were to fight government tyranny

why are none of these people being arrested i s2g

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lpzie posted:

i can't get the image of a fat boomer flying in to a planet on his lil rascal in search of an open restaurant, getting stuck in the grav well and going boom in the applebees parking lot out of my head

Wow!!! please leave fat people alone.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Azathoth posted:

Hah, I looked and I was wrong, apparently Sears is technically still operating a few stores (though the one in the mall I went to has closed), but no Macys, none of that fancy poo poo. We had a Target, a JC Penneys, a Sears, and a Herbergers.

what the gently caress is a herdbergers is that like a fuddruckers?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

why are none of these people being arrested i s2g

they are white people representing the interests of a wing of capital

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lpzie posted:

oh that reminds me there was a zoom meeting today to discuss how we're gonna open up our astro department in the fall and maintain 6 ft of PURE SAFETY but i didn't login so who knows what we're doing lol. owned bitch *cough cough*

silly astrologists :D

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

throwback to libertarian in March

who's still promoting it now as if it proves him right???
https://twitter.com/PerBylund/status/1261296777912659968?s=20

quote:

The Benefits of a Free Society during Pandemics
03/27/2020 Per Bylund
In this time of crisis, many exclaim how impressed they are by the “swift and decisive” actions by the Chinese regime. Instead of recognizing the abhorrent disrespect for human life, the Chinese response is put forth as an exemplar for combatting a pandemic.

These hailers conveniently forget the many weeks of silencing and censorship that preceded the brutal shutting down of the city of Wuhan and the whole Hubei province. They also turn a blind eye to the nature of hierarchy and bureaucracy, pretending what is needed to choose proper action is simply power and that access to accurate, reliable information is of little concern.

The calls for a strongman solution are misguided at best, but have been used to paint the picture of freedom as being impotent. As per the strongman delusion, libertarianism would seem to lack exactly what is needed for “swiftly and decisively” dealing with a pandemic—centralized power.
Most would agree that a one-size-fits-all approach would in fact be a good fit for very few, just like a one-size sweater would be a poor fit on practically everyone wearing it. Conditions are different in different places, which means each place would have a different best response.

We actually saw this in the coronavirus outbreak, where governors adopted different policies for their respective states. It makes sense for them to do this, because the states are very different and were also differently affected by the virus.
While far from perfect, this shows that even career politicians recognize that a centralized solution isn’t appropriate. If they truly believed in one-size-fits-all they would have adopted the same policy. But they didn’t, because the situations were different.
There would also be little reason for them to not share information. While the Chinese apparently believed they didn’t have to do anything, other than silencing whistleblowers, a government is typically not held responsible for its failures. It’s the other way around: a government agency that fails in its task is not punished, but instead offered larger budgets and more discretion.

In rather stark contrast, a libertarian neighborhood that chooses to suppress vital information about an outbreak could (and would) be held liable for the harm caused to others. They face the same mechanism as the private store owner, who would be liable if s/he welcomes those knowingly carrying a virus to enter the premises and infect other customers. It is thus in their interest not to hide the fact, as is the government modus operandi, but to share the information and get in front of the problem.

now we are two months later and I'm sure they think businesses opening and welcoming in infected people is another sign of how the market works

i also love the China bashing even though they have handled the pandemic far better than the US

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

wondering how many more relationships I'm gonna ruin by insisting on being safe and isolating ourselves

(my wife and I are fine and happy to be at home)

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Pump Jockey posted:

For context, she already had the roni a few months back and posted recently that she still has hosed up lungs.

oh yeah i know, I was half-complaining in the rlm thread about she hasn't posted updates in such a long time, then checked her twitter feed and saw that it's because she's STILL suffering from it physically and psychologically AND is having trouble with her bullshit insurance

so bummed out. gently caress this virus and gently caress this healthcare system and god--if you're listening--please drat america

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I wish I could order toilet paper and rear end wipes again

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CHUD Facebook

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think the funniest thing is how the universities are gonna charge everyone full tuition even though the students will basically be doing loving online classes

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

legitimately tired of the all or none thinking bullshit

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Next week Thursday we are going to hear what the process is for reopening the schools. I'm fortunate enough that I can do both my jobs via distance but it sucks so I hope we get some good news.

I'm still volunteering to process unemployment claims and I've noticed that no one is wearing masks anymore, they just kind of take them off. I sanitize my desk and stuff but I don't know if anyone else does or if it even matters. I hope our luck holds through hurricane season

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sane countries used the social distancing period to develop mass testing and contact tracing regimes to arrest the spread of the disease before reopening.

We jammed both thumbs up our asses and screamed "IS APPLEBEE'S OPEN YET???"

There will most definitely be mass infections and death because we haven't done the most basic things to prevent it.

actually the us government was very busy during the big lockdown period in figuring out how to steal hospital supplies from states and let jared resell them

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

snoo posted:

wondering how many more relationships I'm gonna ruin by insisting on being safe and isolating ourselves

None of the good ones. If a condition for continued friendship was a lack of respect for each other's wellbeing then the relationship was a castle built on sand just waiting for the right wave to shatter its foundation

I know the "It's times like this that show who your REAL friends are" is a cliche, but I think it's really true. It's a blessing that for most of life you won't have extreme worldwide pandemics bringing out the shadow-side of people--if things go right you could have a happy healthy relationship with folks from crib to grave without either party knowing there was this lurking, grim incompatibility-beast biding it's time to implode the connection. What's giving me hope are the inverted parts of that: normal, surface-level janes and joes who in secret--even to themselves--had angel wings. Step out of the shadows and step up, surprising all parties involved.

In conclusion, we love you Snoo and Snoo's wife, stay safe

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

None of the good ones. If a condition for continued friendship was a lack of respect for each other's wellbeing then the relationship was a castle built on sand just waiting for the right wave to shatter its foundation

I know the "It's times like this that show who your REAL friends are" is a cliche, but I think it's really true. It's a blessing that for most of life you won't have extreme worldwide pandemics bringing out the shadow-side of people--if things go right you could have a happy healthy relationship with folks from crib to grave without either party knowing there was this lurking, grim incompatibility-beast biding it's time to implode the connection. What's giving me hope are the inverted parts of that: normal, surface-level janes and joes who in secret--even to themselves--had angel wings. Step out of the shadows and step up, surprising all parties involved.

my best friend swung by a couple days ago, texted me a creepshot through my bedroom window, then honked the horn in the alley until i came out to wave at him from my apartment window. feels good to be loved :')

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Atrocious Joe posted:

they are white people representing the interests of a wing of capital

but like can’t a cop pretend to give them a citation or something

can’t they take time out of their busy days of shooting brown people to hassle someone who’s impinging on their authority to protect the interests of capital

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Steve Yun posted:

maybe if your vocation is grocery bagging or delivery

I hope everyone who ever serves you anything spits in your food and smashes your poo poo up on purpose

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

snoo posted:

legitimately tired of the all or none thinking bullshit

Americans fundamentally not understanding probabilities and risk is why the lottery and 4th of July on call surgeons are worth mad bank.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Atrocious Joe posted:

is this just a gift shop

lol yes essentially a glorified one

it's THE KITE LOFT which is a FIXTURE OF OCEAN CITY. they do put out some neat kites on the beach in front of the store, but yes you're pretty much correct

i do kinda miss going to trashy ocean city

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Cant wait to see every hot take in two weeks from now: "in just two weeks after loosening stay at home orders city <x> mayor shocked by rapid increase in cases."

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

we have a wonderful group of online friends/goons and that's really the only thing keeping me sane at this point

my parents are doing alright with the precautions but they're getting antsy and worried they won't be able to go to ocean city this fall, and I just nod (on the phone) and say "yeah that sucks hope u can make it"

but we gotta keep ourselves safe, I can't trust other people to do it for me, and we can't trust the state and federal governments to take action anymore

we love u and the cspam corona club

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

snoo posted:

:(

i already had a friend invite me over for pizza at his new house ("no one has been it in week and we can socially distance eat") and i think i pissed him off by declining. sorry, i didn't tell you to break up your long-time relationship for the third wheel in your throuple and have to sell your co-owned mcmansion during a pandemic

also a family member returning to work as a pet groomer and i might have to not see them for a while even though they have been very safe personally

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Cant wait to see every hot take in two weeks from now: "in just two weeks after loosening stay at home orders city <x> mayor shocked by rapid increase in cases."

idk if people like, didn't actually expect this???? like are politicians going to be surprised when they end up hosed or will it just be a farce???

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

That sure is a developed nation you've got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Phigs posted:

That sure is a developed nation you've got there.

highest standard of living in the world thank you sir