Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zuul the Cat posted:

Refining my Vior'la scheme a bit more before going on to paint the rest of my start collecting box. I want the markings to look like they've been added after the fact by the owner, and not done at the factory where everything is made.

Someone mentioned that I should go back and add some darker shading into the white chipping on the red bits, which I'm planning on doing. Aside from that any other advice?

I personally feel like this guy needs some more not-white bits, to make the white parts stand out more. Dont have to go crazy with it, but maybe the upper arms (the actual arms, not the bits on top of the arms) and the feet maybe? Or the outer parts of the gloves/forearms and the thigh plates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SiKboy posted:

Love 'em. I aspire to be able to blend that well. Or at all really...

Airbrushing will change your life :)

Dienes posted:

I'm just gonna say it: I'm getting distracted by the butt armor. :wink:

The Delaque do seem incredibly concerned with the ballistic integrity of their butt meat

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yeast posted:

The Delaque do seem incredibly concerned with the ballistic integrity of their butt meat

Yeah those photos were the first time I noticed the butt pads on their coats and I love it. Van Saar are also very protective of their cheeks.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

WIP of an alternate color scheme for my marine kill team. One of the baseline guys also present for reference.

I saw this photo of an American tank in Iraq - The tank seems to have never been repainted from the dark green scheme the US Army in Europe uses, but once it arrived in-theater it seems to have gotten various upgrades and addons in the desert tan the US Army uses in the middle east.

I thought it'd be neat to do something similar with my desert-y tan space marines. These marines don't seem to have had the time or inclination to get their armor repainted in the appropriate color for whatever desert they are in now, but the additions to the baseline power armor - the backpack with the missile rack, and the power fist - were received after they arrived to wherever they are now, and are in the same sandy tan as the rest of the team.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

doing a scheme i asked about on the warhammertv stream

This is extremely cool and I can't wait to see this army's progress!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Just some pathfinder drones.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
What's the best paint-on gloss varnish? I'm looking for something that I can use to give specific parts of models a shiny final look after hitting the entire model with matt spray varnish.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is extremely cool and I can't wait to see this army's progress!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Finished up the first 5 weirdos for my Delaque gang.

These are really flavorful. Great job

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

He looks like a Scooby-Doo villain, and I mean that in a good way.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Funzo posted:

He looks like a Scooby-Doo villain, and I mean that in a good way.

And I would have done it too, if it wasn't for those meddling Nids

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

What's the best paint-on gloss varnish? I'm looking for something that I can use to give specific parts of models a shiny final look after hitting the entire model with matt spray varnish.

Any really is fine, I use Liquitex varnish and/or medium. You can thin it down a little with water.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Love the OG Xbox marines

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Found a use for these colour shift paints i bought on a whim

https://i.imgur.com/GPnMh9J.mp4

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i bet they’d look really good on a tyranid carapace

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cat Face Joe posted:

I give them a scrub before I assemble them. Fresh super glue is extremely key though.

Scrubbed, but clarification needed: fresh superglue means a freshly opened tube, or something manufactured yesterday? I bought a bunch of tiny tubes a few months back, they’re unopened.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

jesus WEP posted:

Our own selnaric has done something like this.

selnaric posted:

I've done this with some Hormagaunts that I started to paint.

The carapace is based black with Spaz Stix Color Changing Paint over that. The color changing doesn't photograph that well.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Torquemada posted:

Scrubbed, but clarification needed: fresh superglue means a freshly opened tube, or something manufactured yesterday? I bought a bunch of tiny tubes a few months back, they’re unopened.

Freshly opened. A few months is fine. If they were like 10 years old unopened I'd be concerned.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

jesus WEP posted:

Sort of like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNfrCS263s

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Torquemada posted:

Superglue cures with moisture and heat, so the clock starts ticking once opened. You'll get more mileage if you store them in the fridge between uses.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Both. Superglue over 6 months old (opened or not) gets relegated to terrain and other non-essential duties in my workplace. If it's opened, the time shortens to 2 months maximum.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Decided to paint up the Cadre Fireblade and get it over with, dude looks super patriotic

(after I took this picture I redid the oddly large highlight on the pauldron)

He fits in pretty well with the other fire warriors

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Our own selnaric has done something like this.
Indeed, and having seen them irl, he's absolutely right - the effect doesn't photograph well, but looks totally dope in person.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Anyone with knowledge of GW's paint lines, I have a question. Is the Blue Horror Edge paint the same as the Blue Horror layer paint? I bought a paint pot labeled as an Edge paint, which I think is a defunct line of paints. But I am not sure if there is an actual difference in pigmentation between layer paints and Edge paints or if it was just a branding thing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Pakxos posted:

Anyone with knowledge of GW's paint lines, I have a question. Is the Blue Horror Edge paint the same as the Blue Horror layer paint? I bought a paint pot labeled as an Edge paint, which I think is a defunct line of paints. But I am not sure if there is an actual difference in pigmentation between layer paints and Edge paints or if it was just a branding thing.

Yes. Last year they fiddled with their paint line, and part of that was renaming some things that didn't change formulation (to my knowledge) So it is just a branding thing.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Cool. Thanks, very glad I don't need to learn the ins and outs of another paint type!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Some grimy boyz

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Those looks great! How did you do the fur fringe on the one Ork?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:swoon: yes! Love it.

My Instagram people I follow are mainly nail artists for this very reason. Nailsunny is a lady from Russia I think that has some serious skill with this sort of thing, and she does some extremely weird and :nms: stuff too like realistic teeth and legs on nails.

This is something I've wanted to try on a mini for a while now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3on1Y5t306Q

They use magnets to slightly shift the metal flakes in such a way that it alters the holographic effect. Nail art has a ton of sculpting and unique painting techniques that are rarely seen in miniature painting.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Pakxos posted:

Those looks great! How did you do the fur fringe on the one Ork?

Thanks! It's AP Necromancer Cloak base, AP Dark Tone wash and then a drybrush of Celestra Grey and then a light drybrush of Ulthuan Grey

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Finished my first entirely-COVID project:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
these fellas are time consuming to paint given low value and impact they are, but I finished off some Gargoyles!

I am actually making good progress on my backlog, I am now clear through my nids.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting some completed Vior’la Tau

Zuul the Cat posted:

Completed a 10 man Fire Warrior Squad & Commander Shadowsun!

Time stamp photo:

Better shot:

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Thanks to some excellent advice on this thread, the Salamanders Terminators are finished! Highlights are rough, so if anyone had advice on how to be better at staying consistent from line to line, I'd love to hear it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
For edge highlightning, especially on something like Space Marines with very hard edges, use the edge of your brush instead of the tip. This way you're altering the angle of the brush instead of the pressure to determine the thickness of the highlight and uses the model itself to provide a guide and keep the line straight.

Also the always relevant advice, thin your paints even more than you think you should. Your dark green and black look smooth, but the highlight green should be thinner, do a second layer of highlight if needed.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pakxos posted:

Thanks to some excellent advice on this thread, the Salamanders Terminators are finished! Highlights are rough, so if anyone had advice on how to be better at staying consistent from line to line, I'd love to hear it.
Same thing that Cinara said. Also, you need the power of washes in your life! It'll instantly give some more depth in you paintjobs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
did anyone happen to have Dwarven Forge (or any brand) environmental pieces they were looking to sell?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting some completed Vior’la Tau

Why the timestamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Cinara posted:

For edge highlightning, especially on something like Space Marines with very hard edges, use the edge of your brush instead of the tip. This way you're altering the angle of the brush instead of the pressure to determine the thickness of the highlight and uses the model itself to provide a guide and keep the line straight.

Also the always relevant advice, thin your paints even more than you think you should. Your dark green and black look smooth, but the highlight green should be thinner, do a second layer of highlight if needed.

Good stuff - thank you.

Electric Hobo posted:

Same thing that Cinara said. Also, you need the power of washes in your life! It'll instantly give some more depth in you paintjobs.

I've seen two methods for washes, one where you apply over the whole model and then re-apply the layer paint and another where you paint the shade directly into the recesses - is there any consideration for using one method over the other besides preference?