Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Never enough nurses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Automation controls, machine vision is the hot trend right now

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

shame on an IGA posted:

Automation controls, machine vision is the hot trend right now

MODBUS is loving poo poo and deservers too die along with the miserable old fogies who perpetuate it just to validate their jobs.

I don't actually think they should die, but good gravy that protocol can deep throat my loving register map.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wages of Fear remake looking good.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Burt Sexual posted:

What would you recommend my son go into as a first year junior college student?

He'll go into a deep state of depression like the rest of us soon enough.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

GotLag posted:

Yeah it's a huntsman and the rider didn't need to throw his bike on the ground.
late but:
a little dramatic, but also it's a dirtbike, let it play in the dirt!! if trucks can take naps why can't they??

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Burt Sexual posted:

Mortuary Science

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

d3lness posted:

MODBUS is loving poo poo and deservers too die along with the miserable old fogies who perpetuate it just to validate their jobs.

I don't actually think they should die, but good gravy that protocol can deep throat my loving register map.

It's really not that bad, I had to troubleshoot communication between an instrument and a SCADA controller and went from not knowing how modbus was to fixing it in a few hours.

It's better than all the old USB poo poo I've seen in labs that also doesn't work and vendors stopped supporting it years ago.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

norton I posted:

It's really not that bad, I had to troubleshoot communication between an instrument and a SCADA controller and went from not knowing how modbus was to fixing it in a few hours.

It's better than all the old USB poo poo I've seen in labs that also doesn't work and vendors stopped supporting it years ago.

Lol at someone so traumatized that modbus seems good but also yes

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

A monastery.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

He just got a new girlfriend:smith:

He’s going on industrial automation now, thinking about changing to industrial engineering? Idk

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

An oldie from a Canadian Gold mine.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
He should study something he enjoys.

Regardless of what he picks he's going to have crippling debt out the other side, so he might as well just be dealing with that instead of having both crippling debt and severe burnout from forcing himself to do something he's hated.

Unless you're using the moderator megabucks to put him through without taking on massive loans, idk what your financial situation is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't think this is OSHA-approved posture

https://i.imgur.com/oRCSSWp.mp4

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GotLag posted:

Please stop posting videos of the people I train IRL, thank you very much.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

d3lness posted:

I posted it elsewhere already, but this seems topical: https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/modbus_2020/

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Beef posted:

Related: a MiG continued to fly unmanned after the pilot ejected over Poland, it finally crashed into a house in Belgium, killing a poor teenager doing his own thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Belgium_MiG-23_crash

dropping a plane on someone for jerking of is a little over the top

d3lness posted:

Ethernet/IP is great, until it falls over.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Hollow Talk posted:

I posted it elsewhere already, but this seems topical: https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/modbus_2020/

Great, now because of that title I'm having MODBUS/TCP flash backs. Try troubleshooting a MODBUS/SNMP gateway with two outside techs on the phone. One who refuses to acknowledge modern networking exists, another who won't stop bitching about how complicated MODBUS is, and they won't stop being passive aggressive cry babies to each other and you. Oh, and neither wants to work on it because it's clearly the other guy's problem.
:shepicide:

Edit: Anybody defending MODBUS has Stockholm syndrome.

d3lness fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 16, 2020

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Piss Meridian posted:

dropping a plane on someone for jerking of is a little over the top

I mean if it was a young lady then it could have been explained as a heat seeking missile.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

GotLag posted:

It took me a few seconds to realize this wasn't a Breaking Bad deleted scene.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wages of Fear remake looking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsNH_6lx6Z8

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

An oldie from a Canadian Gold mine.

I read that as 'Canadian cold mine' and thought "yeah that makes sense, your tongue would get stuck."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Burt Sexual posted:

He just got a new girlfriend:smith:

He’s going on industrial automation now, thinking about changing to industrial engineering? Idk
No program is safe anymore. Automation is a pretty good place to be because if you learn digital systems you can fall back on a computer touching job.

Industrial engineering is like civil and swamped with the rejects of chemical engineering and mechanical engineering. Those two aren't even a sure shot anymore either because of the STEMlord propaganda flooding the market. Post school placement isn't bad on paper but you end up in jobs where you are the OSHA enemy or are otherwise miserable if you can't distinguish yourself in the STEMlord pool. Every kid who can do calculus and has dollar signs in their eyes signs up for an engineering degree now, engineering is the new business school.

An electrical engineer with digital systems focus is the goose laying golden eggs these days. But also because university level electrical studies are based on loving magic nobody but they understand, they are literal wizards summoning the power of the past while also being able to touch computers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would say become an electrician or plumber over a lawyer 100% of the time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would say become an electrician or plumber over a lawyer 100% of the time.
If anyone doesn't know what to do after highschool do this. The downsides were mentioned but you can also play your cards right to have a retirement nest egg or demote yourself to a clerk to avoid the backbreaking stuff later.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Azhais posted:

Never enough nurses

Which is a safe profession until you blow your back out rolling a six hundred pound patient. Or get attacked by a patient. Or a family member.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zedprime posted:

If anyone doesn't know what to do after highschool do this. The downsides were mentioned but you can also play your cards right to have a retirement nest egg or demote yourself to a clerk to avoid the backbreaking stuff later.

There will never be a shortage of need for people who know how to actually wire up a house/building or install plumbing. There is already an overabundance of lawyers in the country, and it gets worse every year. I make less an hour as a practicing attorney than some landscapers I know.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s a job your son might be interested in.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0vkdJ9.mp4

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The backbreaking nature of trades can also be mitigated partially , but to do so you have to find a company that values that. The amount of power tools available to basically make any job painless exist, they just need to be utilized.

I work in fire protection, and I always recommend it because it is the one mechanical trade that has a large compliance/inspection aspect that if you are intelligent you can segue into as you get older and get tired of lifting pipe.

In the end, the truth is everyone wants to be an engineer and get to design cool things, but there are less and less people who know how to put those things together. If you have a college level aptitude, but apply yourself to a trade you can basically write your own check once you make it past your apprenticeship.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Yeah, even as a programmer you have to be the right kind of programmer to make good money. I’ve worked in the games industry all over California and basically none of them pay a living wage until you hit senior / lead levels.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Those Hydraulic press people decided to add even more hazards to their life with this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXng5rmKaM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GotLag posted:

Yeah it's a huntsman and the rider didn't need to throw his bike on the ground.

Identifying the species of a spider two inches from your face while also piloting a motorcycle at 40mph is not as easy as you’re making it sound.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The backbreaking nature of trades can also be mitigated partially , but to do so you have to find a company that values that. The amount of power tools available to basically make any job painless exist, they just need to be utilized.

This is the true secret of the trades. For every guy turning wrenches theres a dozen people pushing paper and moving material, that get paid ok and don't necessarily need a bachelors.

Working a plumbing supply counter, doing manufacturer sales/training/support, there are a lot of adjacent opportunities where you can do ok.

Myself, i do hvac for now but want to get into building automation, as i am one of the few in my peer group not terrified of touching computers.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah, there is no disputing the fact that the average age of tradesworkers is really high, and proficiency in computer use is low. Combine that fact with how mechanical trades are rapidly becoming more technologically complex, and there is a huge opportunity for college age kids to get in and grab high complexity skills to guarantee a career for a long time.

Just a personal example, we use windows surfrace pros with custom software for our inspection process, and one thing we just started doing is utilizing video conferencing on them so that if one of my teammates comes across something that looks weird we can just fire up a quick vid chat and I can see exactly what the gently caress is going on and solve a problem in minutes instead of hours sometimes.

We've even be doing the same with some more tech savy customers that can facetime in with their cell phone. Got a compressor that's acting funny? just facetime me and I can probably tell them which little valve to tighten and save them a whole service visit.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 16, 2020

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Jabor posted:

He should study something he enjoys.

Regardless of what he picks he's going to have crippling debt out the other side, so he might as well just be dealing with that instead of having both crippling debt and severe burnout from forcing himself to do something he's hated.

Unless you're using the moderator megabucks to put him through without taking on massive loans, idk what your financial situation is.

This is the correct answer, He should do something he finds interesting even when he's hung over as hell and operating on minimal sleep.

by "Junior College" I think burt means the local trade/transfer school, which you can if you're careful get out of without a shitload of debt unlike state or private schools*

*Merica

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/m6o3RTh.mp4

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

An electricians union will just start paying him to learn how to become one and then pay him to be one and then he'll be making $60k as a young man and that's a pretty good way to buy a house instead of going to college for the price of a house.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s a job your son might be interested in.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0vkdJ9.mp4

Still waking up and had to watch that 5 times before I realized it was NOT between the wires.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

How the gently caress is this still running? Is it front wheel drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yeah, there is no disputing the fact that the average age of tradesworkers is really high, and proficiency in computer use is low. Combine that fact with how mechanical trades are rapidly becoming more technologically complex, and there is a huge opportunity for college age kids to get in and grab high complexity skills to guarantee a career for a long time.

Just a personal example, we use windows surfrace pros with custom software for our inspection process, and one thing we just started doing is utilizing video conferencing on them so that if one of my teammates comes across something that looks weird we can just fire up a quick vid chat and I can see exactly what the gently caress is going on and solve a problem in minutes instead of hours sometimes.

We've even be doing the same with some more tech savy customers that can facetime in with their cell phone. Got a compressor that's acting funny? just facetime me and I can probably tell them which little valve to tighten and save them a whole service visit.

My company has been building collaboration software specifically for remote technicians who need to screen share for extra troubleshooting, and it’s one of the few things we do that I think is loving awesome. (I work back office, not product or customer facing, so IDGAF about most of what we produce.)

There’s one demo I saw where the person on the call could annotate the screen like a cross between a Telestrator and an ARG game, and that would have been a game changer 15 years ago when I was hanging off the sides of campus buildings trying to troubleshoot janky network gear.