Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

elbkaida posted:

lmao that's harsh. which make or model made in the last five years is least garbage in your opinion?
He just told you to buy a Hyundai i10 my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
car bad train good

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

oliwan posted:

muh freedoms and muh Grundgesetz, jesus christ.

someone else said it best earlier in the thread: whitey is being inconvenienced and will absolutely not stand for it.

and I will stand by that point

and that is also why these protesters will not see any kind of punishment or even the slightest pushback, they are the true rulers of this hosed up republic, we are already doomed, lol

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I have to admit, my willingness to keep on social distancing is on a pretty steep downward slope right.

Although not for reasons directly related to staying alone indoors for days at a time. But the fact that I hear more and more boomerbrains talking about how we overdid it, how we all have to go back to the office and how there is just no way to help normal people, because taxes will go down, makes me seriously question why I even keep distancing, when all my vulnerable relatives and friends do not even live in this city and all the old fucks who have sucked my generation dry for years just want to keep going with it.

Getting a really strong mood to just say "gently caress it" to all precautions as soon as I'm ordered back in the office, because I have better chances of infecting those boomer fucks than they have of killing me off with the 'rona.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

:emptyquote:

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
This is your fellow man

https://twitter.com/glr_berlin/status/1261361957099065345

Gotta love just how patient and nice police can be to mentally distraught people if they are not filthy leftists :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

skipThings posted:

This is your fellow man

Gotta love just how patient and nice police can be to mentally distraught people if they are not filthy leftists :)

Oh gently caress, I completely forgot that the conspiracy assholes praise Trump, Xi and Putin as as the only beacons of freedom in this NWO controlled world. I don’t even... :psyduck:

Also yesterday was May 15th and I wasn’t injected with my mandatory mind control and/or death juice. Should I just email Merkel or Gates directly regarding this crass oversight?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

skipThings posted:

This is your fellow man

One of the cardinal rules of dealing with crowds in any form of LEO capacity is to never, ever engage in discussion, and instead refer anyone attempting a conversation to a designated official that will usually issue a standard pre-communicated release.

If this is some casual Polizei-Joe that is dunking on the idiocy of these folks, then good on them, and :lol: and :rip: their job, I guess.
If his is the actual designated official, and loving with these idiots through pre-communicated talking points is an actual strategy, then...

Uh...as much as it hurts me to say it, but...kudos

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Theory posted:

Absolutely. If someone in the Autoindustrie fails hard it's almost exclusively an in house made crisis.

The whole Volkswagen thing was pure hubris and arrogance and the principles that got them there have not changed a bit in the company. And every decision made regarding future powertrain designs since then has had the same stink to it.

BMW is in a weird spot. After the last Mxx engines have been developed and the old guard that kept their protective hands above the engine development to make sure the worst poo poo isn't getting send out to production went into rente, the engine quality just went to absolute poo poo.

BMW was even nice enough to put a label on every trash engine they ever made. If your engine code starts with N there's a good chance it's garbage.
The entire N46 and N47 palette is absolute unmatched garbage.

Valvetronic? Garbage up until third gen. Gaosline Direct injection? Garbage of the highest order. Still better than the TFSI poo poo that VW AUDI spits out tho.

Essentially BMW trashed their heritage as Germanys best engine maker for one and a half decades and only last year with the 450 hp S55 have their produced an engine that is worthy of the badge again and I wouldn't even trust that engine in the higher performance versions.

And after those 15 years during which they, like the rest of the pack apparently embraced "ist der Ruf erst ruiniert, lebt es sich ganz ungeniert" comes the sudden realisation that if your quality and reliability is complete trash people will eventually just go to import Brands like Hyundai (guess who's developing Hyundai N by the way. All directed by former BMW M engineers fed up with BMW).

hell I still remember when I told my colleagues in 2018 that I just boguh a 5 series and everyone congratulated me on getting an E39 and not a model that we actually worked on.

When you're calling something like the TFSI engines trash, do you mean trash by enthousiast/professional standards, or not fit for consumers? Because while I believe that VW are absolutely not above loving their consumers, I have a hard time believing that they'll let their engines fall apart en masse.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Alright, chucklefucks, die fetten Jahre sind vorbei:

quote:

Der Kandidat für den CDU-Vorsitz, Friedrich Merz, will wegen der Corona-Krise grundsätzlich überdenken, welche staatlichen Ausgaben wirklich notwendig sind. „Wir sollten nach der akuten Krise alle staatlichen Leistungen von Bund, Ländern und Gemeinden auf den Prüfstand stellen“, sagte der frühere Unionsfraktionschef der „Passauer Neuen Presse“ am Samstag. Das gelte für Subventionen ebenso wie für soziale Transferleistungen.

[...]

Von Steuererhöhungen wie sie die SPD ins Spiel gebracht hatte, hält Merz nichts: „Wer in dieser Situation Steuererhöhungen fordert, schlägt einen weiteren Sargnagel in die Zukunftsfähigkeit der deutschen Unternehmen“, sagte Merz.

[...]

Merz forderte, Unternehmen zu helfen, die bewiesen hätten, dass sie erfolgreiche Geschäftsmodelle betrieben. Dazu bräuchte man „die Möglichkeit von steuerlichen Verlustrückträgen und Steuerverlustvorträgen“. So könnten Unternehmen nach Ansicht von Merz die aktuellen Verluste mit den Gewinnen aus den vergangenen beiden Jahren und dem nächsten Jahr verrechnen. Aktuell werde mit der Gießkanne Geld ausgeschüttet - auch auf Unternehmen, die schon vor der Krise in einer schwierigen Situation gewesen seien, sagte Merz.
https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik...n/25836074.html

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

When you're calling something like the TFSI engines trash, do you mean trash by enthousiast/professional standards, or not fit for consumers? Because while I believe that VW are absolutely not above loving their consumers, I have a hard time believing that they'll let their engines fall apart en masse.

I don't want to pre-empt Combat Theory's response on an assumption, but generally, the majority of the "shift in appreciation" for engines and cars in general from the big German brands over the last 20 years can be accredited - in part - to the fact that most automotive manufacturers have had to adapt to the super-capitalist concept of planned obsolescence.

The prime label of "German Engineering" across all manufacturers has had to make a number of Abstriche for several reasons over the last couple of decades, one of the inevitable ones being that if you design an unkaputtbare and basically immortal engine that gets a Dipl.Ing all hot and bothered, then your customer won't return for a further purchase for quite a loving while. This is something that was initially weaponized by American companies, but eventually identified by the rest of all global manufacturers as pretty much inevitable.

Fast-forward to the year of Jehova 2020, and all the big German brands have a number of "Baukasten"-engines and -architectures that new vehicles are designed around, to minimize Entwicklungskosten while attempting to maximize how the individual market segments can be satisfied.
Increasing legal regulation over the last 20 years has massively influenced how you can design your product while still attempting to meet the criteria of your market segment, and the result is pretty much what you have today.

New products (vehicles) are designed to perform exactly to the promoted standard in terms of Fahrdynamik and Komfort while still toeing the line of Verbrauch and Flottenwerte. The Abstriche you mach, however, affect all the aspects that someone looking for "a good piece of 'German Engineering' that endures the ages" wants.
What you're left with is a product that can be "guaranteed" to perform until the warranty runs out, which - once again - is the key part of planned obsolescence.

The issue that Combat Theory rightfully points out is something that is endemic to the strategy of design process over the last couple of decades. If you gently caress up a Baukasten-engine in a way that will generate nachhaltige Unzufriedenheit with your customer, you end up damaging your brand massively.
The N-code engines they mention are a wonderful example of that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Smirr posted:

Alright, chucklefucks, die fetten Jahre sind vorbei:

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik...n/25836074.html

Mods? I thought goatse was bannable.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/SabineLeidig/status/1261283547698036736

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

They let their engines fall apart en masse. It's just cost cut design paired with requirements in emissions control and efficiency that's impossible to match. Pair that with 30.000 km+ service intervals and you have yourself a powertrain that will hardly make over 120.000 km without needing major rework.

There's no reason for every new engine made to not last half a million kilometers. We were there in the early 2000s and just collectively lost our poo poo.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't want to pre-empt Combat Theory's response on an assumption, but generally, the majority of the "shift in appreciation" for engines and cars in general from the big German brands over the last 20 years can be accredited - in part - to the fact that most automotive manufacturers have had to adapt to the super-capitalist concept of planned obsolescence.

The prime label of "German Engineering" across all manufacturers has had to make a number of Abstriche for several reasons over the last couple of decades, one of the inevitable ones being that if you design an unkaputtbare and basically immortal engine that gets a Dipl.Ing all hot and bothered, then your customer won't return for a further purchase for quite a loving while. This is something that was initially weaponized by American companies, but eventually identified by the rest of all global manufacturers as pretty much inevitable.

Fast-forward to the year of Jehova 2020, and all the big German brands have a number of "Baukasten"-engines and -architectures that new vehicles are designed around, to minimize Entwicklungskosten while attempting to maximize how the individual market segments can be satisfied.
Increasing legal regulation over the last 20 years has massively influenced how you can design your product while still attempting to meet the criteria of your market segment, and the result is pretty much what you have today.

New products (vehicles) are designed to perform exactly to the promoted standard in terms of Fahrdynamik and Komfort while still toeing the line of Verbrauch and Flottenwerte. The Abstriche you mach, however, affect all the aspects that someone looking for "a good piece of 'German Engineering' that endures the ages" wants.
What you're left with is a product that can be "guaranteed" to perform until the warranty runs out, which - once again - is the key part of planned obsolescence.

The issue that Combat Theory rightfully points out is something that is endemic to the strategy of design process over the last couple of decades. If you gently caress up a Baukasten-engine in a way that will generate nachhaltige Unzufriedenheit with your customer, you end up damaging your brand massively.

This is an excellent post and I agree.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 16, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Aktuell werde mit der Gießkanne Geld ausgeschüttet - auch auf Unternehmen, die schon vor der Krise in einer schwierigen Situation gewesen seien, sagte Merz.
huh, almost as if we're saving companies that would have died anyway.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
on the other hand, imagine being in a global crisis and thinking the answer is less state intervention

neoliberalism intensifies

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

elbkaida posted:

lmao that's harsh. which make or model made in the last five years is least garbage in your opinion?

There's not a single brand thats above everyone else. There are certain odd engines and cars that actually do perform to their pricepoint like the bigger Hyundai's (specifically I30 N) or the BMW M2 competition with the afforementioned S55.

Nissans newer VQxxHR engines are very good as well. If I had the side money I would propably buy a 370Z but the engine is essentially an early 2000s design.

The Mercedes taxi Diesel (220D) are also reliable as hell which is why I would also consider a C204 as a keeper car. It's propably also the last design where I would trust any German brand.

Just avoid VAG all together. Keep clear of any Volkswagen, Skoda, Seat and especially Audi of the last 10 years. Just don't. You don't wanna go down that path unless you are prepared to pour another 6-10k into repairs after the warranty voids.

You propably can't go wrong with a chevy LS engine either.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 16, 2020

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Excellent. :discourse:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

aphid_licker posted:

Heilige Scheisse they fired Kalbitz

Yeah, about that... :v:

https://twitter.com/JustusBender/status/1261704420447981568?s=20

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFFnIXdNuo8

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Usually these Aufnahmeanträge get lost after a war/revolution to distance yourself from the party. Now they get lost to allow you to stay in the party.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Seems like this whole farce is just some desperate attempt of the AfD to stay in the news (and pretend to be "bürgerlich"). Of course it's working because most journalists are dumb as hell.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Theory posted:

They let their engines fall apart en masse. It's just cost cut design paired with requirements in emissions control and efficiency that's impossible to match. Pair that with 30.000 km+ service intervals and you have yourself a powertrain that will hardly make over 120.000 km without needing major rework.

There's no reason for every new engine made to not last half a million kilometers. We were there in the early 2000s and just collectively lost our poo poo.

This is an excellent post and I agree.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hmm, here I was hoping that they got their profits just from decent ways of grifting. Like packaging sensible options behind completely useless but more expensive ones so that you can't escape forking over huge amounts. Or packaging the same Volkswagen Baukasten in four different brand flavors, priced exclusively according to their desirability. Or tying the warranty to prohibitively expensive in-network maintenance inspections.

Purposefully building engines that won't survive beyond a couple of years seems like a trick that works exactly once since it guarantees a non-returning customer.

At least that's what my intuition suggests. FWIW, in my mother's case that's true. She had one of those VWs that had a timing chain that would give out prematurely. VW publicly recognized that this was a problem and that they would cover the cost of repair specifically for the type she had. Well, that was a year ago. VW corporate is still giving her the runaround as far as I know, she's driving a PSA car now, and VW is Not Spoken About in that household anymore.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

PSA: the video below is simultaneously funny as gently caress and will make you hate Berlin even more:

https://twitter.com/ma_heller/status/1261689056028737545?s=21

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Hello Chili gang I planted a chili (apparently Dorset Naga is very Capsaicin) in my Hochbeet. I assume we made a typical Anfängerfehler and planted way too much poo poo per area.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Ika posted:

As a student you always survive conferences off the freebies. And conference organizers who don't understand that and don't have coffee breaks or anything can gtfo :(

--

Right now is the first time in my life I regret not owning a car. Even with stuff opening up somewhat, I don't really feel like traveling a lot by bus/train just for freizeit is a good idea right now.

Why don't you use bookndrive?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lord Stimperor posted:

Purposefully building engines that won't survive beyond a couple of years seems like a trick that works exactly once since it guarantees a non-returning customer.

Yeah but that is the problem of the next Vorstand. The goal is to extract as much shareholder value as possible to make number go up and collect bonuses based on that.

:capitalism:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

System Metternich posted:

PSA: the video below is simultaneously funny as gently caress and will make you hate Berlin even more:

Every day in every way it becomes a bit harder to not turn into an utter misanthrope.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I did use Bookndrive before the pandemic as I have a base within 200m of my flat. But I preferred to borrow a car for myself for the time being. I guess Bookndrive is still better than being crammed into a bus or train during Stoßzeiten, but I feel an anonymously shared commodity is still less than optimal under these circumstances.

System Metternich posted:

That's what ketamine use will do to your brain.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 17, 2020

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It just occurred to me that I’ve now been commuting like a bitch for almost nine years (to several jobs, sometimes one hour by train, now almost to hours), while countless applications for good jobs in my vicinity didn’t pan out. The fact that I’ll probably have to board the train again once the Herbstsemester rolls around and that my earliest possible chance of applying to a good teaching job where I live won’t come up until winter just depresses the poo poo out of me.

What I’m saying is please someone post a dank meme so as to grant me some respite from feeling like an utter failure!!!!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone itt have experience with Swapfiets? They just opened a branch in my town and I'm thinkin' about it, as someone who doesn't own a bike and would probably only use the thing during the summer months anyway, so the 15 bucks or whatever/monthly might make sense.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wengy posted:

It just occurred to me that I’ve now been commuting like a bitch for almost nine years (to several jobs, sometimes one hour by train, now almost to hours), while countless applications for good jobs in my vicinity didn’t pan out. The fact that I’ll probably have to board the train again once the Herbstsemester rolls around and that my earliest possible chance of applying to a good teaching job where I live won’t come up until winter just depresses the poo poo out of me.

What I’m saying is please someone post a dank meme so as to grant me some respite from feeling like an utter failure!!!!

Do you live close to Lausanne? Because I would totally go to this place in Lausanne to get in on some good Ketamine action if I were you.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Good post. Finally, some good advice :)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/OlliL/status/1262025001328349184?s=19

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Saw a guy today who had GRUNDGESETZ BEACHTEN written neatly across his mask. Sending some mixed messages there.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

lmao incredible, can't believe someone went to dig 8 years deep in this dork's facebook

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I use avis or similar when I do grab a car. Never heard of bookndrive, but it appears significantly more expensive for the trips I do (100-300km each way)

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Ika posted:

I use avis or similar when I do grab a car. Never heard of bookndrive, but it appears significantly more expensive for the trips I do (100-300km each way)

It is better for short distances, and still ok to spend a weekend in some place close-by but otherwise not so easily accessible by ÖPNV.

Even though it is more expensive than conventional rental companies, it has a couple of perks. You can book spontaneously, you can extend the booking spontaneously (provided the car is not taken), and you don't have to deal with going to any rental desk, you just pick up the car you wanted from the street (knowing exactly the model, so no "similar models" will be provided instead).

This reminds me of one of my last experiences with Europcar in which I picked up my car a few hours later. They had given my car away (!) and I was left without a car for some more hours, and the stupid clerk was explaining to me that if I am late for a flight, the airplane will depart, so I should not be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Car rental is like the doomsday clock. Perpetually one bad day away from disaster.