Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hwurmp posted:

why do people slag Hollow Knight for having a NeWgRoUnDs AeStHeTiC, but not Binding of Isaac

Probably because TBoI was originally on Newgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hell I don't know if this take is hot or tepid but I'll throw it out: I think original BoI's "newgrounds style" looked better artistically than the new pixel style even if I disliked much of the subject matter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

why do people slag Hollow Knight for having a NeWgRoUnDs AeStHeTiC, but not Binding of Isaac

they do

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Plus you can only move in four directions? What is this, a game for children?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
BoI is the best game with the worst art style. Just dead baby jokes and even deader memes all the way down but somehow it still owns.

Ciaphas posted:

Hell I don't know if this take is hot or tepid but I'll throw it out: I think original BoI's "newgrounds style" looked better artistically than the new pixel style even if I disliked much of the subject matter

Yes I'm afraid that is quite hot

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Just watched Fury Road yesterday and i wanted to try out the Mad Max game it turns out i already had it on my library and actually i played it for 18 hours!?
I'm going to finish it this time

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zeta Acosta posted:

Just watched Fury Road yesterday and i wanted to try out the Mad Max game it turns out i already had it on my library and actually i played it for 18 hours!?

im all about forgetting you bought something months ago but forgetting you played a game for 18 hours is pretty impressive

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To be fair its a really bland game. Probably the most boring implementation of arkham style combat I've ever seen.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Awesome! posted:

im all about forgetting you bought something months ago but forgetting you played a game for 18 hours is pretty impressive

the last time i played it was 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

I need more (newer) games like Enter the Gungeon, I'm on a binge but that game in particular is killing me trying to unlock the Robot

Isaac let me down by aesthetic (and too many passives); Nuclear Throne is too fast for me; and I haven't really tried Synthetik past maybe 15 minutes long ago

Play Monolith! It's the best twin-stick roguelike around, and I literally described it in my steam review a couple years back as "faster than Gungeon but slower than Nuclear Throne".

e: Oh, that'll teach me to not keep reading the thread. Still, more people should play Monolith.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 16, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've mentioned this before, but I played Mad Max in the midst of a deep depressive episode, and I love it even though it's not a good game.

Orv posted:

I think that was just that one nutjob, whoever that was.

This is probably not an easy answer depending on what you got done but how's the content base look in Raft these days? The prevailing sentiment for a long time was nothing to do but it's definitely one I've always been interested in.

hard to say since I've only played for two hours and fifteen minutes or so, but I get the impression there's a lot to dig into if you've got friends and time. I'm gonna post more once I know more.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

To add to my own list, it's not quite what I was originally looking at, but UnderMine is looking pretty good right now too

Undermine is very good although still in Early Access. They just added the fifth area, so I think all that they still have left to add is maybe one final boss (I don’t know if he will have an area of his own or not, just that he exists). But right now you can do a full run anyway, which unlocks two things: the ability to do a run at a higher “summoning stone” level — like a new game plus with higher difficulty — and the “Othermine” mode which lets you do the game without the benefit of the incremental upgrades you buy and with more randomization of things like boss order. Othermine is a harder mode but if you can go on a winning streak in it, your peasant gets to wear increasingly elaborate crowns.

Undermine is probably the closest thing to a Gungeon you are going to find (along with Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac, but I’ll assume you know about those). It has unlocks and random blessings and relics that can lead to different builds, like a throw build versus a swing build, etc. The one thing it does that may turn people off is there are incremental upgrades you buy like attack power or more base health, so it is very difficult to beat the game starting off until you can buy a bunch of those. Some people like that kind of meta game progress, some don’t. I personally think Undermine is a great game, even in its Early Access state right now. It plays great and is a lot of fun. If it has any downside it’s that you might find it a bit easy coming from Gungeon.

I saw someone else mentioned Noita. I absolutely love Noita, it was probably my game of the year last year, even in early access. I don’t know if I would describe it as like Gungeon, though. In overall game type, it is more like Spelunky: large biomes to traverse instead of small combat rooms, side view platformer instead of top down, no real meta-progress, lots of secrets. You asked if it is done in terms of there being a game and endings — yes, there is a final boss (as well as two optional bosses), there is an ending, another secret ending that leads to New Game Plus, another even more secret ending that leads to a peaceful mode where you can play through with enemies that don’t attack unless you attack first (this one is quite difficult to do). The game is known for simulating every pixel and that’s a neat draw, but the big thing in my opinion is the wand building. Throughout the game you can find or buy wands which have their own stats like cast and recharge speed, max mana etc. You also can find or buy spells, some of which can be made to cast other spells on triggers or timers. You also get perks in between each biome, which can make a big difference on what builds you use. As a base example, if you get the fire immunity perk, well, might as well make a wand that sets everything on fire all the time.

You can make super broken things with the wand crafting and you kind of have to because the game gets very hard, very fast. But making overpowered wands is so fun. I’ve made wands that shoot clouds of damage causing whiskey that chase after and stick onto enemies. I’ve made wands that shoot hundreds of bubbles that explode into tentacles. I’ve made lightsabers that basically are as big as the screen. I’ve filled whole levels with water while I was both able to breathe underwater and radiating electricity. It’s hilarious when you get a good build going.

Some people will tell you that it’s too random and you can’t win without good stuff early on, but that’s not true. If you want to see some advanced Noita players on Twitch, check out LetsSufferTogether (he also plays Undermine and Gungeon), Aliasbot, McQueeb, DunkOrSlam, ICWobbles (I think his name is) and gnikenob, among others that I am probably forgetting. These guys can beat the game almost all of the time and do crazy poo poo like speedruns, no-hit runs, 31 orb runs, etc. Maybe play the game for a bit before you check them out if you are so inclined since watching them will spoil some secret stuff, but once you start to get stuck or feel like the game is unfair or you’ve plateaued on what you can do, I highly recommend checking some Noita streams out because you will see crazy poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Awesome! posted:

Ask me about the 50 hours I have in Terraria, I remember like 2 minutes of them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zeta Acosta posted:

the last time i played it was 2016
Okay last playing a game hundreds of years ago is a decent excuse for forgetting you played it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Begemot posted:

Play Monolith! It's the best twin-stick roguelike around, and I literally described it in my steam review a couple years back as "faster than Gungeon but slower than Nuclear Throne".

e: Oh, that'll teach me to not keep reading the thread. Still, more people should play Monolith.

This edit is absolutely true, by the way. Anyone who liked NT or EtG or maybe BoI absolutely needs to play Monolith, it rules.

And has the chillest cat with the chillest music. Go get some tea, maybe some hot soup, relax before you try another run~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uItvy6__G9s

(edit) Wow the Overlord theme rips. I never really noticed because after the initial beat drop you're too busy fighting to survive :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijDiN9Qa-38

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 16, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I played Mad Max in the midst of a deep depressive episode, and I love it even though it's not a good game.

Zeta Acosta posted:

My hot take is that Mad Max is actually a really good game with incredible art direction and it's a damned shame we'll never get a sequel

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

BoI is the best game with the worst art style. Just dead baby jokes and even deader memes all the way down but somehow it still owns.

Fair enough; if you asked me I couldn't even tell you why I dislike the not-Flash art. I don't think it's rosy glasses since I didn't really build much rapport with the game in the first place, but idk :shrug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To be fair its a really bland game. Probably the most boring implementation of arkham style combat I've ever seen.

Yeah the whole thing is pretty mediocre and the ending is a total downer and not in a fun apocalypse way

Real pretty though

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

MMF Freeway posted:

To me, the thing about Isaac's art and general grossness is that it's both so committed to it and such a good and addictive game that you eventually kinda come to love how bad it is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Through the power of bitching on the internet I just got the Bullet and the Robot unlocked on the same run in EtG :stare: That'll do pig, time for something else...

StarkRavingMad posted:

Undermine is very good although still in Early Access. They just added the fifth area, so I think all that they still have left to add is maybe one final boss (I don’t know if he will have an area of his own or not, just that he exists). But right now you can do a full run anyway, which unlocks two things: the ability to do a run at a higher “summoning stone” level — like a new game plus with higher difficulty — and the “Othermine” mode which lets you do the game without the benefit of the incremental upgrades you buy and with more randomization of things like boss order. Othermine is a harder mode but if you can go on a winning streak in it, your peasant gets to wear increasingly elaborate crowns.

Undermine is probably the closest thing to a Gungeon you are going to find (along with Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac, but I’ll assume you know about those). It has unlocks and random blessings and relics that can lead to different builds, like a throw build versus a swing build, etc. The one thing it does that may turn people off is there are incremental upgrades you buy like attack power or more base health, so it is very difficult to beat the game starting off until you can buy a bunch of those. Some people like that kind of meta game progress, some don’t. I personally think Undermine is a great game, even in its Early Access state right now. It plays great and is a lot of fun. If it has any downside it’s that you might find it a bit easy coming from Gungeon.

I saw someone else mentioned Noita. I absolutely love Noita, it was probably my game of the year last year, even in early access. I don’t know if I would describe it as like Gungeon, though. In overall game type, it is more like Spelunky: large biomes to traverse instead of small combat rooms, side view platformer instead of top down, no real meta-progress, lots of secrets. You asked if it is done in terms of there being a game and endings — yes, there is a final boss (as well as two optional bosses), there is an ending, another secret ending that leads to New Game Plus, another even more secret ending that leads to a peaceful mode where you can play through with enemies that don’t attack unless you attack first (this one is quite difficult to do). The game is known for simulating every pixel and that’s a neat draw, but the big thing in my opinion is the wand building. Throughout the game you can find or buy wands which have their own stats like cast and recharge speed, max mana etc. You also can find or buy spells, some of which can be made to cast other spells on triggers or timers. You also get perks in between each biome, which can make a big difference on what builds you use. As a base example, if you get the fire immunity perk, well, might as well make a wand that sets everything on fire all the time.

You can make super broken things with the wand crafting and you kind of have to because the game gets very hard, very fast. But making overpowered wands is so fun. I’ve made wands that shoot clouds of damage causing whiskey that chase after and stick onto enemies. I’ve made wands that shoot hundreds of bubbles that explode into tentacles. I’ve made lightsabers that basically are as big as the screen. I’ve filled whole levels with water while I was both able to breathe underwater and radiating electricity. It’s hilarious when you get a good build going.

Some people will tell you that it’s too random and you can’t win without good stuff early on, but that’s not true. If you want to see some advanced Noita players on Twitch, check out LetsSufferTogether (he also plays Undermine and Gungeon), Aliasbot, McQueeb, DunkOrSlam, ICWobbles (I think his name is) and gnikenob, among others that I am probably forgetting. These guys can beat the game almost all of the time and do crazy poo poo like speedruns, no-hit runs, 31 orb runs, etc. Maybe play the game for a bit before you check them out if you are so inclined since watching them will spoil some secret stuff, but once you start to get stuck or feel like the game is unfair or you’ve plateaued on what you can do, I highly recommend checking some Noita streams out because you will see crazy poo poo.
Thanks for all the words! I think I'll get Noita and try that when UnderMine palls. :tipshat:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

This edit is absolutely true, by the way. Anyone who liked NT or EtG or maybe BoI absolutely needs to play Monolith, it rules.

And has the chillest cat with the chillest music. Go get some tea, maybe some hot soup, relax before you try another run~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uItvy6__G9s

(edit) Wow the Overlord theme rips. I never really noticed because after the initial beat drop you're too busy fighting to survive :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijDiN9Qa-38

I love the music of the first stage, it's so cheerful and bouncy in the way a lot of old NES games were https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_trQV_TZ7g

And then that theme comes back later in a different form and it's even better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxURGQoa3w

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Love it. Good and appropriate music is way important to making a game keep my interest than visual spectacle - at least with the actiony sorts of games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hub Cat posted:

It's not actually that much of a stretch in canon.

best 10million they ever spent am i right

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Supraland's only 10 bucks right now if you want a decent 1st-person platformer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gettin' hyped for a Terraria update in 2020. What a world.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any actual game yet :v:? Last time I looked it had the levels and spells, and the cool physics, but few enemies, no bosses, and it seemed to be lacking a gameplay goal

Noita is an amazing game in its current state imo. It has a ton of varying enemies, levels, secrets and chaotic poo poo to experiment with.

I have to say it is one of the most punishing and cruel games I’ve played in a long time though, it does not gently caress around. A big part of the learning curve is just figuring out what things (eg environmental hazards, enemies, your own spells) in the game are going to instantly kill you - there’s a lot of ways to have your run ended in an instant. All that said, I think the punishing nature is a big part of the appeal if you’re into that kind of thing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How much like Dark Souls is Dead Cells?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

not at all

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

How much like Dark Souls is Dead Cells?
There's a huge emphasis on dodging/blocking, health system that refills your potions between levels and it's pretty unforgiving. That's about it, though.
e: I guess it's got the theme of learning by dying as well, but you can say that for any roguelite.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Artelier posted:

Hello friends, did you know Jedi Fallen Order has an optional boss you can fight before you gain access to health refills? Because I know that now!

Oggbo Bogdo :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oggbo is a piece of cake

it's Dimder Domder and Flimmy Gimson you really need to watch out for

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Speaking of Dead Cells, Hades is goddamn amazing. I've been playing it for like a week straight. It's the Cellslike from Supergiant, the studio that made Bastion/Transistor.

1) It has mind-boggling amounts of voiced dialogue. I think I read more than 250k words, so slightly more than an average Dostoyevsky novel. And it's really well done.
2) After about 20 hours the game has suddenly morphed from a roguelite ARPG into Stardew Valley. I am now wooing the first boss of the game and fixing up the community center.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Planetfall coop good?
Hows the combat?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Hwurmp posted:

Supraland's only 10 bucks right now if you want a decent 1st-person platformer.

just finishing this. it's pretty decent! although, the dev hasn't done the best job of working out where you can sequence break and get places you shouldn't be so it's possible to get stuck in places that are a bastard to get out of again. nothing that's required me to go back to an earlier save though and in a lot of ways the toys they give you to get around are so OP as to be really fun.

well worth $10 and the sequel in development should be good too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

To add to my own list, it's not quite what I was originally looking at, but UnderMine is looking pretty good right now too

I would highly recommend UnderMine. I got sucked into it hard with many many "ok.. god damni that was buslshit but my bad.. just one more run..." "gently caress! ok just one more, the lasdt one I promise." "OK ok iwas gunna stop but ill just do this one quickie.. gently caress its 4am???" moments.

Conversely, I've owned Noita for awhile and been trying to get into it, and it's just not grabbing me really.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

Speaking of Dead Cells, Hades is goddamn amazing. I've been playing it for like a week straight. It's the Cellslike from Supergiant, the studio that made Bastion/Transistor.

1) It has mind-boggling amounts of voiced dialogue. I think I read more than 250k words, so slightly more than an average Dostoyevsky novel. And it's really well done.
2) After about 20 hours the game has suddenly morphed from a roguelite ARPG into Stardew Valley. I am now wooing the first boss of the game and fixing up the community center.

It's really good but I'm holding off until full release because I'm worried I'll have to play it all over again.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like a crazy good price for a 1 TB M.2, so I wanted to share here.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1261718784609357825?s=21

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's really good but I'm holding off until full release because I'm worried I'll have to play it all over again.

I don't think you have to worry about this. Forcing a reset on progress flies in the face of their whole "built for early access from the ground up" thing. I think Supergiant has actually said somewhere that they won't ever break saves as well.

The game is totally worth it now, especially for ten measly bucks. I have a frankly embarrassing amount of time in it and it's still amazingly fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For a 1TB NVME no less that's loving larceny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The problems with Terraria:

- you still have to dig in tiny squares, going down means carving out 2 tiny squares at a time so you can go down one unit. Takes forever.
- wall system still unsatisfying and picky
- makes me wanna play Minecraft instead

The cool things with Terraria Journey Mode:

- eliminates the hassle of the slow beginning and jumps you right into the fun stuff
- love the wings and the pet attack bird
- it is still hilarious to me that you can't access the changelog because we broke their servers