Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A propaganda version in which the fleet is caught completely flat footed by the enemy and bungles the initial invasion to the point the Sky Marshal resigns because they did such a lovely job.

Yeah that's some good propaganda there all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

A propaganda version in which the fleet is caught completely flat footed by the enemy and bungles the initial invasion to the point the Sky Marshal resigns because they did such a lovely job.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If Pearl Harbor were the analogy then it would be like the film drawing a lot of the attention to the ignored warnings of impending attack and lack of proper readiness at the base. Like no film made by the US is gonna highlight that there were multiple warning signs, the base personnel were completely unprepared, and generally they shouldn't have been caught off guard like that. Instead it will play it up as a completely unforeseeable tragedy that we bravely rose to the challenge of.

So yeah the meteor parts makes total sense for a propaganda film. The "we really hosed up those landings" part does not.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
It does if it's also made to bad mouth the former leaders.

"Look at these gently caress ups who got our boys killed. "

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

The story I heard was that Verhoeven read the book and was like "haha wow that's fash as heck" and then made a movie that made fun of it.

According to wikipedia he was directing an unrelated movie and someone went "this is close to Starship Troopers lets get the rights to that" and then he read a few pages and made his movie anyway

For those of you who still have a way to watch a dvd the commentary is great and everyone should watch it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

single ply?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ArmZ posted:

how much does it take to crack ping

You need pills for that

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

not mine so unsure. But I'd bet money on it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/JamesFBooth/status/1261423289924116481

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Chomp8645 posted:

Not actually that terrible to twist it so that specific person was the one who failed the nation, as opposed to the nation failing in general. The Marshal quietly stepped down with no resistance, then a new and better plan was announced immediately. The previous failure is never brought up again.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ScottNoll_News/status/1261323138392096768

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

sports clips, yeahhh a “haircut”

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

"Barberton" is a little bit on the nose

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ruffian Price posted:

"Barberton" is a little bit on the nose

We actually call it Barbertucky around here

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

dying after getting a "haircut" from sportsclips to own the libs

also wasn't the point of sportsclips to be able to watch sports on the teevee while a minimum wage worker buzzes your head?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Look at all the bougie landlords making fun of the filthy proles' establishments itt

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there anything goons don't get elitist about?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Don Pigeon posted:

dying after getting a "haircut" from sportsclips to own the libs

also wasn't the point of sportsclips to be able to watch sports on the teevee while a minimum wage worker buzzes your head?

a minimum wage female worker

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol goons cosplaying proles and not knowing sports clips tries to sell itself as hooters for haircuts

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

duz posted:

a minimum wage female worker

Ugh can you imagine?

I feel like I need a shower just thinking about it

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Please pay more out of respect for barbers and stylists, but also out of respect for yourself.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What I don't get about the elite of this world, is how don't they understand that people like Corbyn or Sanders are actually their only hope? Because even if they make their life more difficult they will not put them against the wall. Othwerwise when the wagon crashes down and new bolshevik revolution happens, there will be no discrimination, everybody with money dies, revenge, just like it happened in Russia.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Sekenr posted:

What I don't get about the elite of this world, is how don't they understand that people like Corbyn or Sanders are actually their only hope? Because even if they make their life more difficult they will not put them against the wall. Othwerwise when the wagon crashes down and new bolshevik revolution happens, there will be no discrimination, everybody with money dies, revenge, just like it happened in Russia.

I'm fine with this outcome.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sekenr posted:

History is supposed to be over.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Haha, yeah ok :) Sheer injustice of what is happening still stirs us even on this stupid forum, when change happens no thinktank will even have time to sit down and discuss

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Len posted:

sportsclips "haircut"-haver spotted

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Southpark-esq "This is what Liberals actually believe."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Feral Integral posted:

sportsclips "haircut"-haver spotted

Ha I went bald at 20

:smith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Sekenr posted:

They've never had to deal with consequences for anything whatsoever in their entire lives, so they don't believe anything bad can really happen to them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sekenr posted:

there will be no discrimination, everybody with money dies, revenge, just like it happened in Russia.

I think you'll find some well connected people ended up both alive and very rich, so all the current rich people can cling to the hope they can pull it off

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Kreeblah posted:

They've never had to deal with consequences for anything whatsoever in their entire lives, so they don't believe anything bad can really happen to them.
It's this. Honestly, they may be right. I majored in Political Science, and if you went back in time twenty years and told college me what things are like now, I would have told you that there's no loving way, people would rise up long, long before we ever allowed it to get this bad.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Thanatosian posted:

It's this. Honestly, they may be right. I majored in Political Science, and if you went back in time twenty years and told college me what things are like now, I would have told you that there's no loving way, people would rise up long, long before we ever allowed it to get this bad.

*ribbet* is this water starting to get warm to anyone else? *ribbet*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The key is when you steal all the money you have to leave the country and disappear.

Staying around in the area you just destroyed is for suckers.

That movie Elysium is probably exactly what is coming. Or already here. There's an island right off of Miami that's only accessible by yaht and helicopter that looks pretty freaking nice.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
considering most poor people live in either a)prison or b) a neighborhood were cops look like the occupying forces in a scifi film where america lost a war, it's not that surprising

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lol goons cosplaying proles and not knowing sports clips tries to sell itself as hooters for haircuts

hahaha, what the gently caress. I've never heard of sportsclips before and this is the saddest loving thing ever.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

spacetoaster posted:

There's an island right off of Miami that's only accessible by yaht and helicopter that looks pretty freaking nice.

how about a Zodiac?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inceltown posted:

hahaha, what the gently caress. I've never heard of sportsclips before and this is the saddest loving thing ever.

I've never been in one because of my being bald, but GIS doesn't make it look like hooters for hair at all

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I only know about the place because I was curious about how the ultra-rich separate themselves from people. I figured Miami has some very rich people, so I just started looking around on satelite photos of the coast.

quote:

Fisher Island is a census-designated place in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States, located on a barrier island of the same name. As of 2015, Fisher Island had the highest per capita income of any place in the United States. The CDP had only 218 households and a total population of 467.

Named for automotive parts pioneer and beach real estate developer Carl G. Fisher, who once owned it,[citation needed] Fisher Island is three miles off shore of mainland South Florida. No road or causeway connects to the island, which is accessible by private boat, helicopter, or ferry. Once a one-family island home of the Vanderbilts, and later several other millionaires, it was sold for development in the 1960s

The place has a super nice golf course, beaches, posh condos, and a private school. Workers are shipped in daily to service the rich who drive luxury cars around their tiny island with stone streets and every need catered to.

I bet there are some other little spots like this on the West coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

I only know about the place because I was curious about how the ultra-rich separate themselves from people. I figured Miami has some very rich people, so I just started looking around on satelite photos of the coast.

The place has a super nice golf course, beaches, posh condos, and a private school. Workers are shipped in daily to service the rich who drive luxury cars around their tiny island with stone streets and every need catered to.

I bet there are some other little spots like this on the West coast.

Looks like a great place to raid.