Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I will say that I remain almost 100% ignorant of Gamergate but whenever this Brianna Wu person shows up and does something absolutely stupid, I would post something like “Congressional Candidate Brianna Wu is very dumb and doesn’t appear to be good for the job” and I got positively clusterbombed by Goons accusing me of being a gamergater and a misogynist and literally do not understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

The actual proof that video games can be something other than "fun" but still be good is Pathologic (2) which has more to say and says it in a more interesting way than Gone Home or Depression Quest could ever hope to

for me, this game is Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

scary ghost dog posted:

1) games are art
2) art can be bad
3)

the subgenre gone home belongs to is full of amazing games like return of the obra dinn, firewatch, and what became of edith finch. gone home is a straight-up bad example of the genre. it has nothing going for it. its thoroughly mediocre, the videogame equivalent of the world according to garp
e: the john irving book. never seen the movie, it might be good but i doubt it

If you're trying to say that definitely and not just sharing your own personal experience with the game the critical response to Gone Home does not seem to bear you out. A lot of critics seem to find it both a powerful experience and an original work. Maybe as it ages it is going to get overshadowed by the games it inspired, but there is no guarantee it will lose its relevance either. Personally, I don't find it to qualitatively different than Firewatch and Edith Finch, but I'm not a big fan of the genre either. I disagree with you that Obra Dinn is in the same genre; I did find it to be an amazing game though.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

selec posted:

Gone Home was alright. There’s room for all kinds of art in the world. It’s not that serious.

Gone Home to me felt like an extension of the Duclare Chateau stage in Deus Ex, and it would fit well what some of the original TTLG team being behind Gone Home. And if you were to make a game entirely on the idea of old MyHouse.map files from Duke Nukem 3d and Doom custom maps, it's honestly a good try and I didn't regret what I paid for and the saturday afternoon I spent on it.

However as SGD said: There's better titles being done with the concept. It probably shouldn't have been the target of super weird hate diatribes about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Game critics are the worst media critics. TV critics are pretty loving bad but they don't hold a candle to game critics.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Game critics are gamers.
Gamers are Bad.

Ergo, game critics are Bad.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was only half listening but I thought they were talking about how heavy rain was bad not gone home

And heavy rain is atrociously bad

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thotsky posted:

If you're trying to say that definitely and not just sharing your own personal experience with the game the critical response to Gone Home does not seem to bear you out. A lot of critics seem to find it both a powerful experience and an original work. Maybe as it ages it is going to get overshadowed by the games it inspired, but there is no guarantee it will lose its relevance either. Personally, I don't find it to qualitatively different than Firewatch and Edith Finch, but I'm not a big fan of the genre either. I disagree with you that Obra Dinn is in the same genre; I did find it to be an amazing game though.

it has aged and been overshadowed by the games it inspired. its like the NES metroid now, or reservoir dogs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I was only half listening but I thought they were talking about how heavy rain was bad not gone home

And heavy rain is atrociously bad

They were talking about specific type of indie game and Matt mentions a game where you read mail which is Gone Home.

Heavy Rain might be the worst written game ever. It straight up cheats in order to have a twist (which also makes no sensE) lmao

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
This has been productive because it reminded me to add Obra Dinn and Getting Over it to my list, thanks everyone.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ive been trying to read this thread and keep up with it, but it's just incomprehensible. none of any of these posts seem to enjoy interacting with any of the other posts or posters

lol this shits crazy, beware the goon takes

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

really this episode just showed that anyone who likes counter-strike has poo poo taste in videogames.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ItohRespectArmy posted:

really this episode just showed that anyone who likes counter-strike has poo poo taste in videogames.

CS was fine but there were at least a dozen better HL mods including a wonky Revolutionary War one that owned.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm only partway through the Masterclass episode and the "guided meditation on capitalism" is one of the most insane things I've ever heard.

Imagine a golden ball of healing light encircling your competitors and crushing them to a pulp. Imagine them pounding on the walls begging for mercy. Now pour this into a Juicero

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Gone Home is okay on its own but it sucks that it gets to be the big example of pushing the envelope of artistry just because some people from the industry specifically went indie to do art, when interactive fiction, visual novels, etc. have histories spanning decades with some serious masterworks as well as thousands of things on the simple personal short story level of Gone Home.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm only partway through the Masterclass episode and the "guided meditation on capitalism" is one of the most insane things I've ever heard.

Imagine a golden ball of healing light encircling your competitors and crushing them to a pulp. Imagine them pounding on the walls begging for mercy. Now pour this into a Juicero

As your market share approaches 100%, you look down to find someone sucking your dick. It's Ludwig von Mises himself, and he's giving you a thumbs up with his free hand.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Groovelord Neato posted:

They were talking about specific type of indie game and Matt mentions a game where you read mail which is Gone Home.

There are lots of games where you read mail

Arguably Gone Home spawned an entire genre of games where you slowly walk around listening to voicemails and reading mail

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was by far the most well known one and thus almost certainly what Matt was referencing.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
F.E.A.R. was the true gold standard of “walking around an office listening to other people’s voicemail about their work/family problems”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Unnamed One posted:

F.E.A.R. was the true gold standard of “walking around an office listening to other people’s voicemail about their work/family problems”

it was, until Control

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
i thought depression quest was a fake game title someone came up with as a joke to make fun of actually existing games in its genre

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
it sounds like something from episode 1

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

“games should/shouldn’t be fun;” a classic chad/virgin dichotomy.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

2k hours in cs and I thought gone home and depression quest were interesting little experiences which baffled me when people got Very Mad about them

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Game critics are the worst media critics. TV critics are pretty loving bad but they don't hold a candle to game critics.

not until kieron gillen starts reviewing tv anyway

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Famethrowa posted:

2k hours in cs and I thought gone home and depression quest were interesting little experiences which baffled me when people got Very Mad about them

i dont give a poo poo about gone home or depression quest im talking about battlefield 3 being the best game that came out in a year notorious for great games.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i dont give a poo poo about gone home or depression quest im talking about battlefield 3 being the best game that came out in a year notorious for great games.

im sorry for not respecting little big planet 2 enough

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Famethrowa posted:

im sorry for not respecting little big planet 2 enough

thats right motherfucker, that poo poo is art.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Felix has the worst taste in games of anyone I've ever heard who describes themselves as a gamer. He's also god awful at games, and couldn't beat the first boss in a series that he claims to love and won't stop bringing up.

Conversely, Matt who hates games has extremely funny and good takes on them, and describing Gone Home as basically mail theft is extremely funny. He was also the best voice actor of the group in Disco Elysium

Edit: for the record, Virgil saying that Mao Zedong would play Zarya in Overwatch is my favorite gamer take

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
An episode of E1 about being as mad about those years in the mid-90s when every video game magazine cover was a fighting game as gamers were about text adventures and environmental storytelling having a brief indie resurgence two presidential elections ago.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
did the biederman sibs comment that two of the characters on a relationship on council of dad's are named Lily and Evan, after harry potters parents

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
does Gone Home have a bit where a spooky voice pipes up and tells you that someone has been dissected and placed in cryogenic storage?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

An episode of E1 about being as mad about those years in the mid-90s when every video game magazine cover was a fighting game as gamers were about text adventures and environmental storytelling having a brief indie resurgence two presidential elections ago.

The best environmental storytelling isn't in an indie game though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best environmental storytelling isn't in an indie game though.

yeah it’s the Oberammergau Passion Play

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
my video game opinion is that roger ebert was right about games not being art and trying to do good story-telling actively robs a game of what it's purpose (enjoyable mechanics) is

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Wow so the way to get goons to actually talk about the podcast was for felix to mention video games.

Did anyone say Chenmo yet?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

miniscule12 posted:

Did anyone say Chenmo yet?
I couldn't hold that against him. I'd just never heard it aloud and assumed it was something like "shen-mway" until I played 1 and 2 last year and even then unless I missed it it's finally spoken in like the last hour of 2.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shipon posted:

my video game opinion is that roger ebert was right about games not being art and trying to do good story-telling actively robs a game of what it's purpose (enjoyable mechanics) is

People who get really worked up because of what Roger Ebert said make me insanely happy. I'm so glad they are incoherently angry. :)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shipon posted:

the only game ebert ever played was teenage mutant ninja turtles for the nes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shipon posted:

Good thing Kojima makes interactive movies.