Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

What was the scariest moment of the Simpsons for you?

For me as a kid, it was either the design of the clown bed from Lisa's First Word (If you should die before you wake!) or in Bart the Murderer when Skinner in cement shoes bubbles "YOU KILLED ME, BART" underwater. Both of these were just a little too much for very young me.

I was scared of everything as a child but I don't think anything from the simpsons ever did it. Simpsons was just too silly no matter what.

like gently caress, Lambchop's Play Along gave me an anxiety attack randomly so I just don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The closest for me is "Treehouse of Horror VII", the segment with Bart's twin, the moment when Bart realizes he's locked up in the house alone with the twin really creeped me out as a kid. Rewatching the scene on YouTube though, it's an even shorter moment then I remembered. Plus knowing the "twist" takes away any of the scariness. I don't remember anything else on the show ever actually scaring me or creeping me out though.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

For me as a kid, it was either the design of the clown bed from Lisa's First Word (If you should die before you wake!) or in Bart the Murderer when Skinner in cement shoes bubbles "YOU KILLED ME, BART" underwater. Both of these were just a little too much for very young me.

Milhouse falling into the giant blender.

Didn't terrify me or anything, but it stuck with me for awhile.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
when i was a tween getting braces, the orthodontist had definitely been asked about the gouger more than once

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

The closest for me is "Treehouse of Horror VII", the segment with Bart's twin, the moment when Bart realizes he's locked up in the house alone with the twin really creeped me out as a kid. Rewatching the scene on YouTube though, it's an even shorter moment then I remembered. Plus knowing the "twist" takes away any of the scariness. I don't remember anything else on the show ever actually scaring me or creeping me out though.

That "you stay home and tape the hockey game" is one of my favorite one off jokes.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Plant MONSTER. posted:

when i was a tween getting braces, the orthodontist had definitely been asked about the gouger more than once

Oh yeah, I forgot about Lisa's computer simulated aging in that one. The part with the tooth going through her head was like holy poo poo I hope that doesn't happen to me :ohdear:

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

mr burns as an alien in the x files episode creeped me out as a kid

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

happyhippy posted:

Gremlin on the side of the bus.
Possibly the only character in the Simpsons that has one sole purpose to kill.

Me too! :hfive:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Skeletome posted:

mr burns as an alien in the x files episode creeped me out as a kid

The highest point of the simpsons was Mulder having his sexy duchovny picture as his Fed ID

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

This is embarrassing to admit but when I was a child I found the Simpsons being yellow very disturbing and, like, the nonexistence of our world with its pink people unsettling somehow. Whenever there was any kind of visual reference to actual white people – like that Monty Python foot in the couch gag – it always made me shiver a bit. I don’t really know why that is

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

vegetables posted:

This is embarrassing to admit but when I was a child I found the Simpsons being yellow very disturbing and, like, the nonexistence of our world with its pink people unsettling somehow. Whenever there was any kind of visual reference to actual white people – like that Monty Python foot in the couch gag – it always made me shiver a bit. I don’t really know why that is

when i was 5 or 6 i legit thought that the yellow skin meant they weren't human, like they were elves or something and everyone who lived in springfield was a creature called a "simpson"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Junk posted:

when i was 5 or 6 i legit thought that the yellow skin meant they weren't human, like they were elves or something and everyone who lived in springfield was a creature called a "simpson"

there's a conspiracy theory about this

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vegetables posted:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm watching season 31 on Hulu tonight and I'm rolling into my third episode. It's such a loving car crash. I just finished 31.5 and there were a few moments when it nearly went somewhere reasonable, then immediately ruined it. That loving ending though...
Strapping in for 6 now.
This is the worst thing I've ever seen on TV.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall ever being creeped out by anything on The Simpsons, but I know a few people who have admitted that they found the look of the characters unsettling when they were kids. Funny story. a girl I was trying to date admitted to still finding them unsettling to look at. I thought it would be super hilarious to send her this screenshot:

she didn't want to hang out with me after that for some reason

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm watching season 31 on Hulu tonight and I'm rolling into my third episode. It's such a loving car crash. I just finished 31.5 and there were a few moments when it nearly went somewhere reasonable, then immediately ruined it. That loving ending though...
Strapping in for 6 now.
This is the worst thing I've ever seen on TV.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/homestuckbrony3/status/1261404814757359617?s=21

The Bible
May 8, 2010

That's fake, right? Someone made that as a parody.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Julie Kavner has done permanent damage to her vocal cords by doing the Marge voice for thirty years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They stopped using Marge's mother iirc because her voice became too painful for her to do.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Party Boat posted:

Julie Kavner has done permanent damage to her vocal cords by doing the Marge voice for thirty years

That is horrific

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Julie Kavner's voice is naturally gravelly due to a bump on her vocal chords. She just alters her pitch for Marge.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
imagine crippling yourself for that joke

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I imagine it's more the hundreds of thousands of dollars per episode that she's crippling herself for.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Holy poo poo

End this show, please. Let Julie Kavner rest her voice and live out the rest of her life in peace.

Again, HOLY loving poo poo

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Bold move to replace Julie Kavner with a rusty door hinge

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

We did 20 takes, and that was the best one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, Mel Blanc couldn't do Yosemite Sam toward the end of his life for the same reason.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Data Graham posted:

I mean, Mel Blanc couldn't do Yosemite Sam toward the end of his life for the same reason.

What in tarnation are you talking about you yellow bellied lily livered pole cat!

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Data Graham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqlOJSiQTrM

Marge Simpson Voice Comparison watch her voice break down over the years.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Bible posted:

Milhouse falling into the giant blender.

Didn't terrify me or anything, but it stuck with me for awhile.

:same:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Holy poo poo

End this show, please. Let Julie Kavner rest her voice and live out the rest of her life in peace.

Again, HOLY loving poo poo

End This Show :suicide:

Smiling Mandrill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqlOJSiQTrM

Marge Simpson Voice Comparison watch her voice break down over the years.

I like how the jokes also deteriorate over time

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 16, 2020

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They stopped using Marge's mother iirc because her voice became too painful for her to do.
I have laryngitis and it hurts to talk. So I'll say one thing. Cancel The Simpsons

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

emgeejay posted:

I have laryngitis and it hurts to talk. So I'll say one thing. Cancel The Simpsons

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Also, The Simpsons is the only long-running show like this that I can think of where they have not let on like any new regular voice actors in decades. Everyone doing voices is either part of the main core group of Castalenetta/Azaria/MacNeille, a regular recurring actor like Mantegna, or just rando celebrity guests. On the one hand, it really worked in the show's favor in the golden years, but the system has not been kind to the show's output for the past ten years or so. At this point, I'd be perfectly fine with re-casting major roles if they're going to insist on keeping the show going.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Part of what makes the Maggie shorts so uncanny is the total lack of voicework from adult characters like Homer and Marge. All the little grunts and murmurs you'd expect are missing. Gotta keep that budget down / prepare the audience for Simpsons content that features none of the original voice actors

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Like, John Dimaggio made Futurama, but all you can give him in The Simpsons is one episode with Bender and a role in one of the video games?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Perhaps they should fire the show runner and the entire writing staff

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Like, John Dimaggio made Futurama, but all you can give him in The Simpsons is one episode with Bender and a role in one of the video games?

John Dimaggio is an incredible human being but Billy West made Futurama. Bender is awesome but Fry, Farnsworth and Zoidberg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

And Zapp Branigan.