Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Buildermit crabs cause I need to see how that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
When/where can I get that SOS2 goodness?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gyshall posted:

When/where can I get that SOS2 goodness?

Right now it's in open beta to try to find/fix bugs and incompatibilities with other mods. There's still a fair number of bugs so only grab it if you are willing to accept that, but it's making fast progress so far. The latest version is right here, but bug fixes are rolling out every day so don't click that if you're reading this post more than 24 hours from now. You can get the latest off their discord, and it would be nice of you to report any bugs you find there.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Is it a major commitment or CPU melter to run multiple bases? I'm trying to plan an offensive against pirate bases and am wondering how feasible setting up multiple drop pod jumps is.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Doomykins posted:

Is it a major commitment or CPU melter to run multiple bases? I'm trying to plan an offensive against pirate bases and am wondering how feasible setting up multiple drop pod jumps is.

Depends on map size and type of map. If you're running bases in the desert that have few animals and plants, not so much. If you plop a few down in the jungle then hoo boy yeah.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Animals annihilate my framerate and every map where I tried to ranch or play around with Genetic Rim has ended in FPS death.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Vengarr posted:

Animals annihilate my framerate and every map where I tried to ranch or play around with Genetic Rim has ended in FPS death.

Yeah the only thing that has affected my FPS ever is huge manhunter packs. Huge human raids don't even touch it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My poor 12 core CPU :negative:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Piell posted:

Need feralisks/junglelisks so that colonies living in Feralisk Infested Jungle can feel at home.

a whole roster of feralisks is underway cause they're actually comparatively simple

right now i'm trying to figure out how to implement that. the gallatross' main attribute is being loving huge but its not possible to resize the pawns without everything loving up horribly

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Buildermit crabs cause I need to see how that works

yeah idk how that would work out. i think we would probably do the pebblemit

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
healroot always only gives 1 medicine per plant right? is there any point in not harvesting them as soon as they can be? at 75% or whatever?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think there's a higher risk of a failed harvest?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

all my lisks are turning out very cute:

edit: time to ruin everyones lives

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 17, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tabletops posted:

healroot always only gives 1 medicine per plant right? is there any point in not harvesting them as soon as they can be? at 75% or whatever?

There's a chance of getting nothing if you harvest under 100%.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

juggalo baby coffin posted:

all my lisks are turning out very cute:

edit: time to ruin everyones lives

Can you make the tarantula Hawks passive unless hosed with?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Tabletops posted:

Can you make the tarantula Hawks passive unless hosed with?

gently caress that, make them aggro from a mile away. Give anyone who played F:NV the frights.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
JFC Randy, two new games, and both I get a plauge that kills off 1/2 my colony withing a couple days of landing.

Stop.

I wouldn't care exceptt it takes so drat long to set up pawns and a starting area. Prepare carefully takes even longer :(

It was dozens of pages ago, but I like Royalty, but I'm skipping most quests because I just don't care about the reward and the reward for making my pawn a high Nobel doesn't outweigh all the annoyance to satisfy them. Those needs tend to come long before the research is complete to help them.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The down side of Randy is sometimes you just get straight up hosed with nothing you can do about it.

Sometimes that leads to a thematic end ot a colony that was getting a bit stale, but in a situation like yours just dev console it away.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Well that was Rough.

A story and then a few questions. Winter has arrived in my colony, and I get a quest to rescue the sister of a member colonist, kept under guard by 5 enemies as well as an unknown amount of turrets. Furthermore, if we destroy a bandit camp we are sure to be rewarded with a bionic eye and shield belt. In order to make sure the raid rescue is successful, I send in 4 of my people, out of a total of 11. They set out on the 6th of december. Three days after they leave, dawn breaks and shows the arrival of a siege. We had recently called in help to deal with a different attack, so in order to keep relationships strong I decide to move out and repel the siege quickly by ourselves, before the base is perforated by spicy metal balls.

Several people get wounded but nothing we can't handle. The attack descends into a brawl, and a message arrives from Randy. A pack of 5 manhunting polar bears has arrived some distance away from where we are fighting. We mop up the attacking siege, and quickly retreat within our walls. The plan is to set out and deal with the menace once we have healed up. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll have gone to sleep and become a non-issue, after which we can also gather up the loot and fine meals the siege left behind. Everyone is restricted and most people set out to relax and sleep off this 9th of decembrary.

Except at this point Van Driel, one of our quality crafters, has a mental break and decides to pig out on food. Naively, I considered this to be a light issue, after all we have plenty of simple food in the freezer, and pemmican supplies that will last the rest of the winter if the meals run out. You can imagine my panic when I spot the poor bastard opening up the outer doors, right into the pack of patrolling polar bears. Presumably the dumbass thought the simple meals provided were too basic for her mental break needs, and wanted to run off and grab a fine meal left behind by the former siege crew.

While it would have been heartless, I should have left her to die. I didn't: her stats were good, she was family to several colonists, and while some people might get an arm torn off or lose an eye in the fight, we have the resources to buy prosthetics. We will do the noble thing and rescue her. I was a bit optimistic, and our already wounded team barely managed to kill the polar bears, absorbing many wounds in the process, soaking the corridors of the base in blood, and still failed to rescue Van Driel in time. As the final polar bear fell, only two team members were left standing, Fernandez, a pacifist with some bruises, and 'Lumi', a marine and professional constructor, who was slowly bleeding out of several wounds. Together they had a hell of a time rescuing everyone else in time.

The air smells coppery and wet

After our valiant healers managed to get everyone at least somewhat bandaged up, I sent out my wounded construction leader to build a nice sandstone sarcophagus for the fallen. This way at least some mood debuffs could start to dissipate. While the remains were being interred, a terrifying message flashed on the screen. A raid has arrived, spread across the map. Fernandez immediately leaped to the radio to ask for help, which took out half of the attackers, but we still had to marshal our wounded soldiers to protect ourselves. The raid is repelled successfully, and the allied army stays a bit while patching up their wounds. They don't bother to help clean up the blood.

The next morning, it is the 11th of decembrary. Our valiant allies decide to move out. A few minutes after their patrol disappears from the map... another raid arrives. The radio was still on cooldown, and other allies are too primitive to send aid in drop pods, so we are on our own. If we can hold out for 10 hours, we can ask for help again. We fight as hard as we can, but the toll is terrible. Lips falls in battle, shot by a sniper from across the battlefield. This causes Boone to have a mental break, and starts binging out on alcohol. Lumi, an amazing builder and artist, is kidnapped. Our husky died, only one Muffalo survives, five others were killed by the attackers. Thankfully four horses were away with our attacking team, leaving only one foal that died by the hands of the raiders, and one mare that barely survived, with a permanently shattered left hoof. Eventually the attackers run off, after burning down three water mill generators. Fernandez is MVP, rescuing the wounded after the enemies have left, and keeping them alive. Eventually he develops a psychite addiction while trying to keep from falling over exhausted.

the aftermath: almost no animals left, 3 destroyed watermill generators and a burnt down ground-penetrating scanner

The 12th of decembrary starts with what is becoming a terrible routine. Another raid has arrived. Panicky and weary, help is sent out immediately to our allies. Unnecessary it turns out, the raid is tiny and equiped with knives and clubs. Even in our bloodied state, we manage to kill them before the cavalry arrives. A second sarcophagus is built.

It is now the 14th of decembrary, and our rescue party has arrived at the prison camp to attack, heavily depressed and moody. The prisoner is Fernandez' sister. She is a qualified builder, (11 construction, no other qualifications), iron-willed, greedy, ... and lazy.

My questions to you are:
- how can I get back my kidnapped colonist, if at all? If I send gifts to the relevant faction, do they release kidnapped colonists?
- how bad is the mood penalty if I don't rescue the sister, by leaving the map after killing the enemies and looting the turrets, or if I immediately dump her after she joins the colony?
- 5 attacks between the 9th and the 12th holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
- if I send a massive bribe to the enemy faction, will they release kidnapped colonists? It is a rough outlander union, so open to bribes.
- so basically there is no point to allying the tribal factions, other than for trade, *maybe*?

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 17, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
anyone have a favorite recycle mod? I was hoping vanilla apparel etc. stuff would include it but it doesn't. anyone have a favorite recycle mod?

also I have EPOE and for whatever reason i have duplicate simple prosthetics and some other stuff. It's super annoying. is there anyway to fix this?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I use Mend And Recycle. It gives the tailoring bench a recycling clothes job and also a mending workbench which can repair durability on stuff.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ugg, I forgot to turn off title rewards for my quest, and now my low level psy now wants a lavish bedroom and throne room. As well as clothes.

Since I am a group of simple tribespeople with no home, struggling to eek out an existance and trade up for better weapons and armor, I have none of these things

Guess it's time for an accident

At least I have a better understanding of what I need skill wise next time around. More social, shooting, and planting. Gotta get those vast plants along with meat to make sweet sweet pemmican

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 18, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

double nine posted:

My questions to you are:
- how can I get back my kidnapped colonist, if at all? If I send gifts to the relevant faction, do they release kidnapped colonists?
- how bad is the mood penalty if I don't rescue the sister, by leaving the map after killing the enemies and looting the turrets, or if I immediately dump her after she joins the colony?
- 5 attacks between the 9th and the 12th holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
- if I send a massive bribe to the enemy faction, will they release kidnapped colonists? It is a rough outlander union, so open to bribes.
- so basically there is no point to allying the tribal factions, other than for trade, *maybe*?

- Kidnapped colonists have a chance to show up again later as the target of a rescue mission. It's not guaranteed, but it's pretty common.

- The penalty for a sister dying is -14 mood for 30 days for Fernandes only. I'm not 100% sure but I believe not rescuing her will inflict this mood penalty. The penalty for rescuing her and then banishing her immediately is -3 for 7 days for all colonists. That said, as long as she's able to haul and shoot, she really doesn't sound like a bad colonist to have. Iron-willed colonists are fantastic for going on caravan quests. As long as she has the ABILITY to shoot, it doesn't matter a whole lot if she has no passion for shooting, shooting skill is one of the few skills that raises fast enough she'll still get a decent amount of skill just by existing in the colony and participating in raid defense. Give her a fast firing weapon like a heavy SMG or a chain shotgun and she'll still contribute just by throwing a lot of lead downwind, and her iron-will means she'll almost certainly not break no matter how many corpses she sees in the process. There's repair work for constructors to do after raids, and rest of the time there's always hauling jobs. Lazy means she'll build slower, but she won't move (and thus haul) slower, and move speed is by far the more important stat. Greedy is very easy to satisfy, just give her a 3x4 bedroom with a bed, stone floors, and a Large Sculpture made of wood or stone and it'll hit Slightly Impressive which will make her mood exactly the same as any other colonist with a slightly impressive bedroom. Any of the bedrooms I see in your screenshot there will be more than sufficient.

- Sometimes Randy hates you. 5 raids is unusual but not unheard of.

- Bribing enemies will not get you your kidnapped colonists back. Just gotta wait for a quest.

- Allying tribals is still good because it's another faction you can request help from on the radio, and tribals send enormous numbers of dudes to saturate enemies with extra targets. Plus it raises the odds that you have a friendly trade caravan on your map when a raid hits, and sometimes their pack muffalo gets shot and you get all the loot.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Rimworld: would a crime by any other war taste as sweet

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The big brain play is to load all unnecessary loot/money and shoot it off in transport pods as bribes. Keeps your colony wealth down and your options wide-open if you're allied to literally everyone (besides pirates and other always-hostile factions you might have modded in).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m picturing Elrond telling Isildur to throw the wealth away and shoot it at his neighbors and Isildur responding “no” while building a backup killbox and starting research of power armor.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
how does bombing woek with the SRTS mod? Do i fill the ship with shells? I've done bombing runs but nothing ever blows up/is damaged.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think it needs shells yeah, and not all ships can do it. Otherwise just throw a pilot on, load shells, and queue up the mission. It has to be on a map you have colonists viewing, but nothing stops you from launching bombing runs after dropping off passengers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've taken to dropping in a surrogate with a knife at the edge of the map, then shelling the poo poo out of the place with my bank of rail guns :frog: my only major issue is I have to remember to cease fire or my looting crew is in for a big surprise ten seconds after they land the plane

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ooh Interests is a pretty nice mod.

Passions are slightly changed (learn speed: no passion 50%, minor 75%, major 100%) and you can get new modifiers like Invigorating only 30% learn speed but rest decay is halved. It adds more (in a fairly organic way) variety in managing workloads and when trying to recruit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I've decided to abandon my current base and send out a large caravan to the south, in order to least get close to the space ship. Problem is one of my animals is a warg. The second problem is the journey will last 15 or so days and we will have to go through a vast desert. How can I keep the animal from starving on such a long trip?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Get the camping mod and take breaks to hunt would be one way.

Or a mod to let wargs eat kibble.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

double nine posted:

So I've decided to abandon my current base and send out a large caravan to the south, in order to least get close to the space ship. Problem is one of my animals is a warg. The second problem is the journey will last 15 or so days and we will have to go through a vast desert. How can I keep the animal from starving on such a long trip?

The easiest way to deal with long journeys of any type is to use a chain of transport pods.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

oh my god dude give it up

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

oh my god dude give it up

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

double nine posted:

Problem is one of my animals is a warg. The second problem is the journey will last 15 or so days and we will have to go through a vast desert. How can I keep the animal from starving on such a long trip?
You can always just click the settle button every few days, then abandon that one too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really want to finish a base before I have to abandon it due to chug.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don’t keep useless pawns, remove the weak blood by having an arena where two equally armed and armored combatants shoot at one another until the other is dead. Bonus points if you make the whole colony watch.

Purge from the colony the meat that is weak and embrace unity.

And also kill all your animals and drop some wealth with a well-place Molotov cocktail. You’d be surprised how much poo poo goes into your stockpile and stays there forever, never being used or sold but still prompting larger raids.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

jokes posted:

Don’t keep useless pawns, remove the weak blood by having an arena where two equally armed and armored combatants shoot at one another until the other is dead. Bonus points if you make the whole colony watch.

Purge from the colony the meat that is weak and embrace unity.

And also kill all your animals and drop some wealth with a well-place Molotov cocktail. You’d be surprised how much poo poo goes into your stockpile and stays there forever, never being used or sold but still prompting larger raids.

It'd be nice for there to be a way to have a UPS friendly system for animals where they could be abstracted to no longer need to pathfind. I love the idea of using mods that create tons of animals and having large ranches that are neat, but the drain on system resources is sometimes hard to justify.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chickens are the worst of the bunch because egg production necessitates having a shitload of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I only really just did one modding tutorial cause my son loves watching me play RimWorld and got really excited when I told him we can add pretty much what we want to the game, but, I think that it shouldn't be too difficult to create some 'coop' object that is similar to the transport pod in that you can load creatures into it, maybe make it a fuel-able object like the power generator where you put nutrition into it and then load certain types of animals to it so that it produces animal products on a timer...?

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 19, 2020