Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The promise.

Has.

Been made.

The thread ends the way it began, with people posting the same few catchphrases over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

The thread ends the way it began, with people posting the same few catchphrases over and over.

I go one for ya...

If you can't slam with the best, then go jam with the rest!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I go one for ya...

If you can't slam with the best, then go jam with the rest!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

More like dork drakers.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

More like dork drakers.

@NYTimes: please stop calling me dork drakers

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Toronto Game Jam 2020 entry with Frankie and music by Chef Boyardee and some other great people too like Lurdiak who you'll recognize from this thread.
https://frankiesmileshow.itch.io/stellar-nexus

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

Toronto Game Jam 2020 entry with Frankie and music by Chef Boyardee and some other great people too like Lurdiak who you'll recognize from this thread.
https://frankiesmileshow.itch.io/stellar-nexus

This is like the 5th indie game I've seen lately with space whales did someone popular do something with space whales so now everyone wants to have them?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Final Fantasy IV

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Uncle Wemus posted:

This is like the 5th indie game I've seen lately with space whales did someone popular do something with space whales so now everyone wants to have them?

they heard about star citizen but there was a misunderstanding

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Uncle Wemus posted:

90s kids who grew up reading Nintendo Power are doing their pre-mid-life crisis swerve into making indie games but are unable to actually create anything new and are just reiterating on the same few nostalgic touchstones.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Hitchhikers guide had one in the late 70s (?) and I'm sure there are plenty of examples before that.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

also, the only good star trek movie (though the part where the whales fly into space was only implied).

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Yo, no, star trek 6 loving owned too

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

there is an entire interstellar habitat of space whales and space megawhales in an iain m banks culture novel and they ruled

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it good though?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

90s kids who grew up reading Nintendo Power are doing their pre-mid-life crisis swerve into making indie games but are unable to actually create anything new and are just reiterating on the same few nostalgic touchstones.

That's been indie games since the oughties tho, just with other nostalgic touchstones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Whales are not only extremely common but also cross-cultural. You can find them in sci-fi from France, Korea, Japan, and probably others I'm entirely unaware of.

It is because space whales rule.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:smithfrog:

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Gortarius posted:

Guys, it's going to be the implosion anniversary in like a few weeks. How are you going to celebrate?

Jesus, it's been that long already? Feels like poo poo went down just a few months ago.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What was going to happen with cyberdwarf anyways, did he die with balthios and barklery? I totally forget.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm looking forward to the reveal that Cyberpunk 2077 was delayed so that CD Projekt could incorporate the Barkley 2 project into it.

Cuntellectual posted:

What was going to happen with cyberdwarf anyways, did he die with balthios and barklery? I totally forget.

No, he was on the escape craft with Hoopz.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This mf said Barklery

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Iirc, that's about as far as you can go in the main quest, after that it starts to fall apart at a rapid rate.

There was a lovely rip off of the crestfallen gamer zidance scene from FF9 after that but it's probably not active. Also after that point Cdwarf would keep contacting you through Chat Roulette and he would always be extremely paniced and disgusted about all the dicks he had to see before the roulette tuned into X1.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
gortkly

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hi guys I tried to play Barkley 1 recently on Windows 10 but it seems to have some weird issue where there is full screen purple flashing every second or so while walking around? Anyone here manage to get this great game working properly on a modern system?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Wemus posted:

We just needed something organic to put all the abadox poo poo in.

Frankie fucken loves Abadox.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i know about the space jam

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'm going to launch a Kickstarter for my own Barkley 2.

The title I'm thinking about is:

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Unofficial Game of the Movie – Chapter Dos of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa,

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Unofficial Game of the Movie – Chapter Dos of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa,

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Unofficial Game of the Movie – Capítulo Dos of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Dra Sykelym Naymsc uv Dín hy hÓk: Aclyba vnus Necron 7 – Najahka uv Cuchulainn: Dra Ihuvveleym Kysa uv dra Sujea – Lrybdan Tuc uv dra Hoopz Barkley SaGa,

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Gortarius posted:

Iirc, that's about as far as you can go in the main quest, after that it starts to fall apart at a rapid rate.

I tried doing a "full playthrough" by connecting the missing dots and using the dev tools. It's really sad how bare the endgame content is. Cuchu is hilarious and the wedding quest is pure unadulterated 100% bball beef barkeley. I wonder what the cuica zauber actually sounds like...

quote:

There was a lovely rip off of the crestfallen gamer zidance scene from FF9 after that but it's probably not active.

I thought it was too sad (given the state of tog at the time I wouldn't have expected less), but Chandragupta's wise words still make me laugh.

The OG dialogue between X1 and bball dad is pretty good, too:

What vidcon is this?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Future Days posted:

What vidcon is this?

NGU, an idle game. You can only find the Cyberdwarf body pillow deep into the game, from a boss appropriately named the Greasy Nerd.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Future Days posted:

I tried doing a "full playthrough" by connecting the missing dots and using the dev tools. It's really sad how bare the endgame content is. Cuchu is hilarious and the wedding quest is pure unadulterated 100% bball beef barkeley. I wonder what the cuica zauber actually sounds like...

It's been like 1.5 years since I last touched this mess so I might be misremembering, but I think the progression was boring tutorial -> TNN -> Free roaming -> BCT -> Rebel missions -> Cdwarf -> Find the doodles -> Endgame

Endgame doesn't exist, finding the pieces of poo poo I think actually is there but I don't think that goes anywhere after you have them all, and everything after TNN starts to get increasingly more barren and unfinished.

The Mines might be the most finished portion in the game post TNN.

EDIT: Well, actually, if you go to the snowy fields and light up all the orbs you can go to Triskelion which technically is as good as it was ever going to get because it was me and gz spitting on the horrible rpgmaker games that you can find on Steam. But they at least were full games so who's laughing now, huh?

Future Days posted:

I thought it was too sad (given the state of tog at the time I wouldn't have expected less), but Chandragupta's wise words still make me laugh.

Hmm, looks like it's actually sort of complete scene. If you ignore the page flipping sound and put on some music it's almost like a real game.

I think because I always skipped all the dialog if I wasn't testing it out I never realized how grating the dialog tick sounds are. That was the real issue with Barkley 2. The dialog noises.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 18, 2020

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Gortarius posted:

EDIT: Well, actually, if you go to the snowy fields and light up all the orbs you can go to Triskelion which technically is as good as it was ever going to get because it was me and gz spitting on the horrible rpgmaker games that you can find on Steam. But they at least were full games so who's laughing now, huh?

I honestly thought that Triskelion was finally cut and that whatever was left was just a placeholder. Everything makes sense now esp the part where you literally go to Barkley's apartment in B1 and find a dying Zalatar :smith: . Dojo Dad's whole saga and his mission to be as hilariously racist as possible and appropriate the dojo's culture is probably one of the funniest things I've ever read in a videogame. Props to the ghastly togster that wrote that one

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
None of this sounds like what anybody wanted out of a sequel of Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Gologle posted:

None of this sounds like what anybody wanted out of a sequel of Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

It is a mess of several pastiches of vidcon tropes wrapped around a BAD VIDEOGAME. Most of the writing is genuinely funny, but gets very depressing/off by the point cboy and bort left :smith: Anyways, I still b11e/l11i/e2v3e

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Gortarius posted:

Guys, it's going to be the implosion anniversary in like a few weeks. How are you going to celebrate?

I'm looking forwards to another year of looking forwards to Barkley 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Gologle posted:

If B2 was just another goofy jrpg romp like the first one except less clunky and better looking, people would've loved it.