Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Who wants some nasty human OSHA.

I work for a large nationwide commercial GC. Several weeks ago we instituted a policy requiring all employees and subs to wear face coverings on our job sites. I was on a conference call with my EHS coworkers this week and it was brought up that we recently had two incidents from our HQ. Two different employees thought they could wear the same dirty grimy face mask day after day...for weeks.

On one employee, the dirty face mask rubbed his face raw which then helped him contract a staph infection on his cheeks. The other employee got a respiratory infection from breathing through his dirty mask. So thats all fun. When we put out the policy we talked about regularly washing reusable face masks and disposing of the daily-use variety but I take it these guys ignored that part of the email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

iroc.dis posted:

Who wants some nasty human OSHA.

I work for a large nationwide commercial GC. Several weeks ago we instituted a policy requiring all employees and subs to wear face coverings on our job sites. I was on a conference call with my EHS coworkers this week and it was brought up that we recently had two incidents from our HQ. Two different employees thought they could wear the same dirty grimy face mask day after day...for weeks.

On one employee, the dirty face mask rubbed his face raw which then helped him contract a staph infection on his cheeks. The other employee got a respiratory infection from breathing through his dirty mask. So thats all fun. When we put out the policy we talked about regularly washing reusable face masks and disposing of the daily-use variety but I take it these guys ignored that part of the email.

Naw, they're doing it right, this is how masks actually work:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They probably decided if they have to wear a mask, they'll just wear the same gross one over and over again. I remember when I was helping decommission a site when I was in the military, these two guys decided they would just pile up shits in a toilet without flushing because no one was cleaning the place anymore, creating an OSHA situation for whatever maintenance person eventually had to deal with it. People are stupid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cojawfee posted:

They probably decided if they have to wear a mask, they'll just wear the same gross one over and over again. I remember when I was helping decommission a site when I was in the military, these two guys decided they would just pile up shits in a toilet without flushing because no one was cleaning the place anymore, creating an OSHA situation for whatever maintenance person eventually had to deal with it. People are stupid.

My old job, someone forgot to flush one time and the cleaning crew put up a post-it saying "please remember to flush". The guys got mad about it and made it a point to leave a floater in the toilet every Friday after work to teach the cleaning crew a lessen or something?

This led to more and more passive aggressive signs all over the bathroom, which was super embarrassing cause that was the one most customers would use.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
People have this problem where if stuff is already dirty, they'll make it more dirty, if it's super clean, they have a tendency to keep it clean. Then there's people who smear poo poo on stall walls and never wash their hands, they don't count though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Then there's people who smear poo poo on stall walls and never wash their hands, they don't count though.

Military stories are in a different thread, the military branches are exempt from OSHA

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Devor posted:

Military stories are in a different thread, the military branches are exempt from OSHA

militaries still have safety procedures. i know the CF is bonkers about safety(not a complaint). right up there with industrial construction.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

militaries still have safety procedures. i know the CF is bonkers about safety(not a complaint). right up there with industrial construction.

:911:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feres_v._United_States

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

yea, but it costs money to train soldiers and replace damaged equipment, so its cheaper to implement grossly unnecessary safety procedures and looks good on the CO's performance review.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s a job your son might be interested in.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0vkdJ9.mp4

Somewhere out there there's a video of a very expensive gust of wind

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Azhais posted:

This was a couple years ago but apparently they will use helicopters to access and repair power lines :psyduck:

https://www.fox8live.com/story/38232876/update-one-dead-two-injured-following-helicopter-crash-near-boutte/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

beanieson posted:

This was a couple years ago but apparently they will use helicopters to access and repair power lines :psyduck:

https://www.fox8live.com/story/38232876/update-one-dead-two-injured-following-helicopter-crash-near-boutte/

Yeah, and it's cool as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPNK7bc2qvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tzga6qAaBA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Azhais posted:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

It was funny going from a hangar that used military maintenance, where they kept saying for years that they didn't have the budget for proper fall protection equipment so just tie yourself to the crane hook used for lifting engines, to a place that used civilian contractor maintenance, where there was magically an OSHA-approved fall arrest cable every 20 feet.

One of the things about military leadership is that nobody is in the same position for more than 2-3 years, so it's often easier to roll the dice that nothing bad will happen during your tenure, and any long term issues that you cause or fail to address will be the problem for the next guy. There's virtually no long-term accountability. Case in point, the McCain and Fitzgerald collisions a few years ago, which had their root causes in decisions made 10+ years ago to cut back on training, and the ongoing decision to maintain an unsustainable ops tempo.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s a job your son might be interested in.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0vkdJ9.mp4

Your mom's pube trimmer is here.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

This seems wildly unsafe, but yeah, it is cool as poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's not really any more unsafe than any other job involving helicopters and millions of volts of electricity

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know it's cheating to post screenshots of Adam Savage, but some of the things he does are insane. Here he is sweeping away metal shavings with his bare hand. And yes, he does bump that xacto knife.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The exacto knife whatever but aaaaaaghgaahhh I can feel the metal slivers in my palm already

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I assume from his years of being in the shop doing the same thing his skin is so full of slivers that new ones don't penetrate his skin anymore.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/oGg508j.mp4

Sound required.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

The exacto knife whatever but aaaaaaghgaahhh I can feel the metal slivers in my palm already

“already” being in the shower the next morning

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I always liked discovering stray wires from the wire wheel on the bench grinder embedded in my chest etc when I take a shower after work.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I have a cyst in my middle finger from a little tiny twig penetrating into my middle finger while doing brush work. The day I finally get this calcified little gently caress out of my finger is going to be amazing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This deserves jail time.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

is there a thread for info, anecdotes, questions about working in a trade? i have a bunch of questions but dont want to do it here.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Devor posted:

Does the US army not have company sergeants (or whatever the equivalent would be)? When I did my military service 35+ years ago, toilet hygiene was one of the first things the "Spieß" specifically mentioned he would monitor closely. I still remember the exact words he used: "Man muss auch mit Appetit scheißen können."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How drunk/high are you that a running, moving train can sneak up on you?

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How drunk/high are you that a running, moving train can sneak up on you?

Trains are deceptively quiet when running slowly and coming up from behind you like that. I've been spooked a few times, walking near tracks. Never been dumb enough to actually be on the tracks, of course.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

mystes posted:

This deserves jail time.
Nah I think those kids learned a good enough lesson about not walking on the tracks, without needing any additional punishment.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Craptacular posted:

Nah I think those kids learned a good enough lesson about not walking on the tracks, without needing any additional punishment.

Yeah. THey were probably just trying to reenact Stand By Me.

SamsCola posted:

Trains are deceptively quiet when running slowly and coming up from behind you like that. I've been spooked a few times, walking near tracks. Never been dumb enough to actually be on the tracks, of course.

Yup, this, I've been working on a railroad job the last couple weeks, and we don't even hear the trains until they get really close to us, and they're even rolling fairly quickly. On other jobs where they're not moving fast at all they are definitely quiet, and able to sneak up on you if you're not paying attention.

Remember folks, Train time is any time on any track in any direction.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah. THey were probably just trying to reenact Stand By Me.

Yup, this, I've been working on a railroad job the last couple weeks, and we don't even hear the trains until they get really close to us, and they're even rolling fairly quickly. On other jobs where they're not moving fast at all they are definitely quiet, and able to sneak up on you if you're not paying attention.

Remember folks, Train time is any time on any track in any direction.

Yup, don't be those three girls on a UP track. :smith:

WarrenLifeisStrang
May 16, 2020
OP should have some general OSHA background info to place everything else in more context.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Seems like a great way to get spooked, fall, and get your foot somehow trapped in the track

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The backbreaking nature of trades can also be mitigated partially , but to do so you have to find a company that values that. The amount of power tools available to basically make any job painless exist, they just need to be utilized.

I work in fire protection, and I always recommend it because it is the one mechanical trade that has a large compliance/inspection aspect that if you are intelligent you can segue into as you get older and get tired of lifting pipe.

In the end, the truth is everyone wants to be an engineer and get to design cool things, but there are less and less people who know how to put those things together. If you have a college level aptitude, but apply yourself to a trade you can basically write your own check once you make it past your apprenticeship.

My brother is learning that. Companies that employs tradespeople or techs can choose to see their employes as valuable people. Or they can chose to see them with great resentment for their pay compared to the day labors they hire for unskilled stuff. The later group isn't going to care about safety measures, and if they can get a discount on a busted ladder then that's what their people will use drat it. I had a bit of field tech experience doing low voltage stuff. Early on I transitioned over to doing work for manufacturers and I haven't looked back. I've had welders, mechanics, electricians and plumbers in my family. And as I pointed out to my brother, there may come a day where poo poo is taking a toll on your body. Be looking for jobs that you can transition to.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Hackers film 1995 posted:

is there a thread for info, anecdotes, questions about working in a trade? i have a bunch of questions but dont want to do it here.

There isnt. Ive always wanted to start one, but :effort:

If you make an a/t or something in BFC I’ll happily spend all day there though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ESnV3yd.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/BANVGt1.mp4

"Accidental" activation of fire suppression systems. May or may not have something to do with hours getting cut or flight schedules getting reduced.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kith posted:

"Accidental" activation of fire suppression systems. May or may not have something to do with hours getting cut or flight schedules getting reduced.
They're 787s so it's probably safer to have them covered in fire suppressant foam anyway.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

WarrenLifeisStrang posted:

OP should have some general OSHA background info to place everything else in more context.

I'll start:

code:

PART 1910 — OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH STANDARDS

Subpart A—General

§1910.1 Purpose and scope.
§1910.2 Definitions.
§1910.3 Petitions for the issuance, amendment, or repeal of a standard.
§1910.4 Amendments to this part.
§1910.5 Applicability of standards.
§1910.6 Incorporation by reference.
§1910.7 Definition and requirements for a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
§1910.8 OMB control numbers under the Paperwork Reduction Act.
§1910.9 Compliance duties owed to each employee.

Someone else want to tackle TOC for Subpart B?

(OSHA is boring as gently caress. Post more GIFs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kith posted:

Ooooooooooo that gonna be ‘spensive.