Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's really good but I'm holding off until full release because I'm worried I'll have to play it all over again.

supergiant's already confirmed that won't be the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ragequit posted:

This seems like a crazy good price for a 1 TB M.2, so I wanted to share here.
I would have bought it if I didn't have an M.2.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I don't think you have to worry about this. Forcing a reset on progress flies in the face of their whole "built for early access from the ground up" thing. I think Supergiant has actually said somewhere that they won't ever break saves as well.

The game is totally worth it now, especially for ten measly bucks. I have a frankly embarrassing amount of time in it and it's still amazingly fun.

Oxxidation posted:

supergiant's already confirmed that won't be the case

Got a link?

their faq says they'll try but the can't 100% be sure

quote:

As far as saved progress is concerned: We will do everything we can to ensure your existing save data continues to work with any content changes we make. But, there may be times when we do end up making big-enough changes that cause aspects of your progress to reset. We will do our best to limit these incidents and communicate openly around them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You can never be one hundred percent sure, of course, but given that they have already made multiple major content updates on the game while maintaining save compatibility, I am struggling to think what game-revolutionizing mechanic they could come up with and implement in the final few months of early access while invalidating saves.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Since people were talking about EGS exclusives earlier, does anybody have any opinions on Before We Leave? I'm super into the aesthetic, but some (but not all!) reviews online (because EGS still doesn't have user reviews) suggest that it's really shallow.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

StrixNebulosa posted:

- you still have to dig in tiny squares, going down means carving out 2 tiny squares at a time so you can go down one unit. Takes forever.
- wall system still unsatisfying and picky

{1} doesn't really take that long, especially once you get a pick upgrade, especially if you look for a tunnel leading downwards and mine ores off the tunnel. Sometimes it can go well below cavern layer start without needing to mine anything to go deeper.

{2} what do you mean?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Lord Lambeth posted:

Got a link?

their faq says they'll try but the can't 100% be sure

When they say "progress" there, that can also mean like gemstones, keys or whatever in game collectibles and widgets are in the current version. They have made a few changes to the in-game economy before that impacted progress by changing your inventory around or things like that. They've never broken saves though.

Found a relevant comment from a dev.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1145360/discussions/0/1745645926463660304/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hwurmp posted:

Oggbo is a piece of cake

it's Dimder Domder and Flimmy Gimson you really need to watch out for

Good thing they asked for George's input on names again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ambaire posted:

{1} doesn't really take that long, especially once you get a pick upgrade, especially if you look for a tunnel leading downwards and mine ores off the tunnel. Sometimes it can go well below cavern layer start without needing to mine anything to go deeper.

{2} what do you mean?

1 still doesn't negate the need to clear two blocks, even with really fast picks.

2 I don't remember the exact ratios but it takes like 50 wall blocks to cover in a relatively small room, and that in turn takes a lot of wood, and it means you spend way too much time putting up walls. And by walls I mean the backdrop things, you have to use hammers to break them. Really annoying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

2 I don't remember the exact ratios but it takes like 50 wall blocks to cover in a relatively small room, and that in turn takes a lot of wood, and it means you spend way too much time putting up walls. And by walls I mean the backdrop things, you have to use hammers to break them. Really annoying.

I won't argue the fact that there should be a "fill room" option or something BUT in this patch you can now lay bricks on top of other bricks to replace it without needing to hammer it first which saves a bunch of time when building.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

StrixNebulosa posted:

1 building material makes 4 walls. Also, try turning on quick replace in the options; lets you replace any wall with any other wall, even natural ones.

Sounds like you'd love journey mode. Get 100 of a building material, have infinite.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve got the uplay pass thing and man, I am insanely hooked on Starlink and I could not possibly tell you why. It’s fun in that “requires almost no thought” type way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Sounds like you'd love journey mode. Get 100 of a building material, have infinite.

:stare:

man, I wish the changelog worked so I could've known that earlier! That sounds really good!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Subnautica: I was very glad to build a Cyclops but also immediately regretted it as soon as I took a walk inside it because there's no way I'll drive something so valuable and high maintenance around, risking all my effort literally sinking to the bottom of the ocean, instead of just zooming around on my Seamoth.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Exploring the depths with the cyclops is one of the best parts of the game!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Subnautica: I was very glad to build a Cyclops but also immediately regretted it as soon as I took a walk inside it because there's no way I'll drive something so valuable and high maintenance around, risking all my effort literally sinking to the bottom of the ocean, instead of just zooming around on my Seamoth.

you'll have to eventually :krakken:

there are a few defensive upgrades you can find for it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

:stare:

man, I wish the changelog worked so I could've known that earlier! That sounds really good!

There's also a "cheat" in Journey mode that increases the distance you can place blocks. There's also a real time difficulty slider in Journey mode.

Play Journey Mode is what I'm saying

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

StrixNebulosa posted:

- you still have to dig in tiny squares, going down means carving out 2 tiny squares at a time so you can go down one unit. Takes forever.

Are you using the smart cursor button? Its finickity without it but with it on just automatically digs a hole at your width/height.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Can you play Terraria's new Master mode AND journey at the same time?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's a real time difficulty slider in Journey mode, so presumably the hardest difficulty is Master? Someone correct me if I'm wrong

edit: Yes I verified this, top is labeled Master Mode. There's basically no reason not to do Journey mode.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 17, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fatty posted:

Are you using the smart cursor button? Its finickity without it but with it on just automatically digs a hole at your width/height.

smart what now?

.... oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, this is MUCH more playable!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MO: Astray might have the worst controls I've ever seen in a 2D platformer

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought it was fine on M+KB.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Junkie Disease posted:

Planetfall coop good?
Hows the combat?

I've had a great time with planetfall co-op.

Combat is like xcom. Turn-based, everyone on one side moves all their units in whatever order they wish, then the other guy moves all his units. Cover, destructible cover, exploding cover, flanking, damage types, status effects, resistances, once-per-round "tactical ops" with a wide range of effects to choose from: drop a bomb from space, turn on a shield generator, zap your bioengineered monstrosity with a brain overloader beam that makes it go feral, etc. There's a lot of variation, just hundreds of different unit types, each of which you can install up to three mods on to augment them or change the way they work. It's deep and cool, great choice for co-op.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm really liking UnderMine so far! I feel like I'm missing a trick with gold acquisition though; that, or this is a really grindy-seeming... metagame? whatever the word would be

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Tom Gorman posted:

Speaking of Dead Cells, Hades is goddamn amazing. I've been playing it for like a week straight. It's the Cellslike from Supergiant, the studio that made Bastion/Transistor.

1) It has mind-boggling amounts of voiced dialogue. I think I read more than 250k words, so slightly more than an average Dostoyevsky novel. And it's really well done.
2) After about 20 hours the game has suddenly morphed from a roguelite ARPG into Stardew Valley. I am now wooing the first boss of the game and fixing up the community center.

I'm holding off because I want to experience the game "on curve" and if they add stuff to the beginning of the game, I'll miss content

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hwurmp posted:

MO: Astray might have the worst controls I've ever seen in a 2D platformer

I wasn’t a big fan of the PC’s “feel” either but I suppose that’s because you’re playing a glob of poo poo as opposed to something snappier/more responsive, like in Super Meatboy or Celeste.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
mad max really didnt need to be a open world game

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I hadn't really looked at anything about Crucible but it looks a lot like Battleborn (RIP), minus the RPG elements and Gearbox aesthetic. Hopefully it fares much better than Battleborn did, but I don't think a highly anticipated MOBA is coming out the same week as Crucible so... it'll be fine.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Mad Max is fine as long as you:

1) Beeline main story for the Harpoon before you do any side content.
2) Don even think about 100%ing it (particularly avoid the scrap points in the map, can't remember the name but they're worthless).
3) Just stop playing when you're not having fun anymore.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

I'm really liking UnderMine so far! I feel like I'm missing a trick with gold acquisition though; that, or this is a really grindy-seeming... metagame? whatever the word would be

The amount of gold you get increases a lot as you get deeper. You also get a good lump sum when you beat a boss. Finally, there's an upgrade at the smith to keep more when you die. It's still a little grindy but not as bad as it seems at first.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

StarkRavingMad already mentioned but you really gotta go deep as you can. You start raking in the gold on the third dungeon. I would also recommend plucking up some of the Blacksmith upgrades that increases the gold you keep if you die, it's not too much and you can easily get a solid 70% saved.

Also bosses are optional* so I would suggest avoiding them right now and just keep going deep deep deep. I personally found the bosses to be quite hard until I got a bunch of meta upgrades.

It's really became one of my favorite roguelites of all time.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 17, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Walking Simulator's sure came a long way since Dear Ester.

It's literally just walking, non stop, the entire time, no interactivity at all just monologues that trigger once you reach certain points.

I'm honestly surprised they're even charging money for it. It feels like at best a tech demo or proof of concept for some actual game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zeta Acosta posted:

mad max really didnt need to be a open world game

I never played it but if there is any franchise that needs to be open world, it's Mad Max. A big sell of the franchise is that you are in a giant desert world of anarchy and you are the explorer of these hell lands. Now if they did it justice or not is something else entirely.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mad Max is fine as long as you:

2) Don even think about 100%ing it (particularly avoid the scrap points in the map, can't remember the name but they're worthless).
3) Just stop playing when you're not having fun anymore.

For me it was:

2) 100% it because it's fun the entire time.
3) Hope you don't know they are pronouncing "Dinky Di" wrong the entire game, because that's infuriating.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The problems with Terraria:

- wall system still unsatisfying and picky
There is an auto-tunnel/placement mode you can toggle, has been for a while now. The game will automatically fill up a room with background walls for you while it's active and you can just aim down and hold the mouse to get a nice 2-tile tunnel in pretty much no time at all.

Terraria isn't Minecraft, though. You're not supposed to dig everywhere. There are giant cave systems all over the place for a reason.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gromit posted:

2) 100% it because it's fun the entire time.

What about the glitch or whatever, something that made it impossible to get 100%?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

pentyne posted:

Walking Simulator's sure came a long way since Dear Ester.

It's literally just walking, non stop, the entire time, no interactivity at all just monologues that trigger once you reach certain points.

I'm honestly surprised they're even charging money for it. It feels like at best a tech demo or proof of concept for some actual game.
It is a free game and parodies Death Stranding.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Mad Max is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

punk rebel ecks posted:

I never played it but if there is any franchise that needs to be open world, it's Mad Max. A big sell of the franchise is that you are in a giant desert world of anarchy and you are the explorer of these hell lands. Now if they did it justice or not is something else entirely.

Yeah really, it’s a series that is defined by vast wasteland and muscle cars.