Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

SirViver posted:

Does the game by any chance apply haptic feedback when it's happening?

Yes! Although its hard to tell if the haptic feedback is being applied because the tracking starts screwing up and pushing the stick to extremes or if the tracking is screwing up because of the haptics (or maybe it's just a positive feedback loop). That is frustrating, but at least gives me something to look into. Seems like a pretty huge design flaw.

Tom Guycot posted:

Heck of a job, Brownie

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So who else does the Virtual Desktop thing for wireless PVCR on the Oculus Quest?

This guy wrote a how-to guide on Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/gk16br/lowlatency_wireless_pcvr_gaming_with_virtual/

I just wanted to hear other peoples' thoughts before I order another router.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AndrewP posted:

So who else does the Virtual Desktop thing for wireless PVCR on the Oculus Quest?

This guy wrote a how-to guide on Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/gk16br/lowlatency_wireless_pcvr_gaming_with_virtual/

I do it with just the router I got from comcast in a saturated apartment setting and it worked pretty drat well.

I can tell when everyone gets on the wifi and interference skyrockets tho. gotta get off at that point, but all the additional routers in the world aren't going to fix that issue

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

I do it with just the router I got from comcast in a saturated apartment setting and it worked pretty drat well.

I can tell when everyone gets on the wifi and interference skyrockets tho. gotta get off at that point, but all the additional routers in the world aren't going to fix that issue

Gotcha. Are you using one or two routers? I use a good 5 ghz router already that my PC is hardwired into, and it appears that maybe that's actually all I need.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AndrewP posted:

Gotcha. Are you using one or two routers? I use a good 5 ghz router already that my PC is hardwired into, and it appears that maybe that's actually all I need.

Just one. Literally the combo modem/router that xfinity rents me, so not even a good one.

Worst case, if you have issues you can always upgrade. The only reason to have a second one for your quest is if you have a ton of devices active at the same time on that network, which isn't part of my use case(I hardwire everything I can, including my TV), and before I did that I would do a quick site survey(you can do this with your phone and a free wifi analyzer app) to see if there is just crazy levels of traffic in your area.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AndrewP posted:

I use it and it works as well as the USB 2.0 Link for me. Until You Fall can get a little framey but part of that is my fairly old computer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What I found on Tetris Effect is that the cool thing for me mostly is the sync between the game, the sound effects and the music. Once the match has reached some speed or my lines are not that low, I'm too focused on the game to notice the pretty visual effects that surround me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Turin Turambar posted:

What I found on Tetris Effect is that the cool thing for me mostly is the sync between the game, the sound effects and the music. Once the match has reached some speed or my lines are not that low, I'm too focused on the game to notice the pretty visual effects that surround me.

I really didn't find it gained anything from VR other than shutting out distractions

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That kiwi cable thing is cool, does it seem to work well? Like, do you feel it tugging at your head or anything?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

dromer posted:

I use it and it works as well as the USB 2.0 Link for me. Until You Fall can get a little framey but part of that is my fairly old computer

RFC2324 posted:

Just one. Literally the combo modem/router that xfinity rents me, so not even a good one.

Worst case, if you have issues you can always upgrade. The only reason to have a second one for your quest is if you have a ton of devices active at the same time on that network, which isn't part of my use case(I hardwire everything I can, including my TV), and before I did that I would do a quick site survey(you can do this with your phone and a free wifi analyzer app) to see if there is just crazy levels of traffic in your area.

Cooool. I'm gonna make this my project for later. Wireless PCVR is the holy grail.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm finally playing Espire 1:VR, I'm still in the early stages, and my impressions are mixed:
-The stealth system, enemy AI and level design is decent enough. Enemy patrol around, can be alerted/suspicious, go to help knocked out guard and search for you in the surroundings. There are automatic turrets, lasertrip mines and cameras to avoid. There are side paths, sewers, or vertical structures to climb in the levels, in addition to the 'main' path, although nothing crazy, it's still an overall linear structure overall. This is no Deus Ex or Prey.
-You have a tranq pistol whose bolt has to be triggered each time, and a electric stick to stun enemies in melee and heal you. You also have a mini-camera in a ball which can be thrown in each hand, you watch what the camera see with a floating window and a 'noisemake' feature to distract gaurds, finally you have a 'special vision' ability that shows enemies behind walls, but it only can be activated for a few seconds, it isn't something you can play with it 'on' all the time..
-You can climb freely metal surfaces, which is a very good idea, it allows to the player to use alternate routes and access more verticality, but in a more restrained by designer fashion than in for example Stormland, as the level designer can decide what is metal or not.
-Missions divided in multitude of small sub-levels, I guess the Quest needed that, but each load has been reduced to just 1-2 seconds in the last update.
-No jump button. A strange omission, as sometimes you have to cross a 30 cm gap... and you can't.
-No inventory. I feel stealth games benefit of having some kind of inventory, that allow you to store and use access cards (important to make more complex and involved levels), key items, extra tools like lockpicks or smoke bombs... nothing here.
-This is one of those action/stealth games where to be honest, stealth is harder than action so really the player has to be motivated in wanting to 'roleplay' and stealth around. It seems easy enough to mow down enemies with the uzi, or to abuse the tranq pistol. At least there are 'badges' you get after finishing a level if you ghost it and/or don't kill anyone. On the other hand trying to ghost levels without having manual saves sounds like a pain in the rear end to me, even if I'm a veteran of stealth games.
-There are challenges to do in the missions, they unlock cheats.
-No resource management. As a stealth game I think the game suffers for it. With this I refer the fact you health is way too easily replenishable, having an infinity supply of energy to heal yourself, it reloads after a few seconds. And the tranq pistol ammo is very common, too. This is playing on hard, that seems to affect more things like reaction times of the enemy to detect you.
-Story seems to be very forgettable. The setting too, it's some kind of underground military base, not sure if the full game will be always there.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 16, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Uh
https://twitter.com/ashleycacioppo/...483507832020992

I almost wish VR was that immersive for me, that the effect was so strong that would make me totally forget I'm in my bedroom in a normal flat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

May wanna ask your dad some questions about his overall level of happiness in life :smith:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Turin Turambar posted:

I almost wish VR was that immersive for me, that the effect was so strong that would make me totally forget I'm in my bedroom in a normal flat.
Yeah, that doesn't work for me either. Like those millions of videos of people screaming their asses off on virtual rollercoasters back then. Depth perception and everything works just fine, but it looks like a videogame at all times, due to lack of photorealism, which prevents immersion. The only time that'd kinda count was recently in Alyx, where I tried to support myself on a low profile wall during a hectic firefight, while on ducked on my knees.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, that doesn't work for me either. Like those millions of videos of people screaming their asses off on virtual rollercoasters back then. Depth perception and everything works just fine, but it looks like a videogame at all times, due to lack of photorealism, which prevents immersion. The only time that'd kinda count was recently in Alyx, where I tried to support myself on a low profile wall during a hectic firefight, while on ducked on my knees.

This is the key that a lot of people are missing. I think "presence" is largely a red herring, because it's an effect that only seems to work initially and temporarily. People who have been playing VR for a while and are used to the experience don't really feel it, because your brain has acclimated to the tricks that are being pulled. You don't fall for it anymore. That said, what I would say is really important is a sense of grounded-ness of the universe. I really wish I had a better term for it, but basically you reach the point where you're engaging with the game on its own terms as part of a consistent universe, so once you reach that point (which in my experience is usually when there's a lot of stuff going on) and you've reached a stronger point of mastery where you stop thinking about the process of doing stuff and instead focus on what you want to achieve, that's where you hit the magic of what VR is still capable of. The software needs to be good enough that it allows you to buy in, so you stop treating it like a game you're playing and treat it like an experience you're just having and trying to work through

This is probably just a jumble of nonsense but I think this is more or less the goal that more VR software needs to have, to facilitate getting to this state

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I also noticed some of my most immersive moments were in games with the best graphics like Alyx or Lone Echo. And I'm a gamer who usually doesn't mind playing small indie games with so-so graphics. Between that, and the fact that VR raises the bar of how much good graphics are needed (you can get stupidly close to objects and textures, you judge more accurately things like human animations and facial expressions, etc), I think we are still a few years away from the moment where VR can really shine.
it seems to me there is an uncanny valley effect going on, where you get close to imitate something, up to a point where you notice how much is lacking to really be like that thing. Normally the uncanny valley effect is about human resemblance with CG or robots, but here I'm applying the term more generally. Part of your brain admit the 'virtual reality effect' and associate what you see more with real world and how it should be and behave, which subconsciously raises the bar to what the rest of the brain expects: rooms realistically cluttered, photorealistic lightning, realistic vegetation, streets populated by a realistic number of people, whatever.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Combat Pretzel posted:

Same but one time I was in The Lab teleporting to the edge of where I was allowed to go while standing in a place in my room I can walk into the naughty zone. Was enjoying the forbidden perspective when the crazy rear end forklift came zooming directly towards me. I didn't have time to analyze the situation and I legit flinched and tried to get out of its way and kinda hurt my shoulder in the process. For that brief instant my brain 100% thought I was going to get mashed by a 60mph forklift (I work with/round them and have a healthy respect for them) and reacted accordingly.

It's also still super hard for me to intentionally step off the plank in Richie's, especially if I set it up with a board. Knowing it's a gimmick is not enough for my brain to to keep from noping the gently caress out. I also still instinctively duck my head getting into or out of the cars in Dirt Rally 2.0 to keep from hitting my head on the door sill :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nightmare mode in the plank experience got me at the very end in a similar way.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I never really had a problem with reacting to things in VR but when I showed the headset to my sister, who does not play many video games, she would clench up everytime she fell in the climb.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
So i managed to break my Rift S

Finished a late-night gaming session, took it off and left it on the couch thinking it’d put it away in the morning.

Got up about 9am, had breakfast etc, then freaked out when i noticed i had left it in exactly the right position for the sun to stream in through the window behind the couch and right into the lenses...

Yep, two permanent dark streaks on the LCD panel :(

Luckily Oculus/FB have been good, i managed to arrange a return and replacement under warranty, though given the current situation i’ll probably be VR-less for a few weeks

tl;dr - don’t let the sun see your headset lenses!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AndrewP posted:

I use Virtual Desktop and my Quest almost exclusively for PCVR. I actually added a quick write-up about it in the OP recently, though it isn't as detailed as your linked post.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ROFLBOT posted:

So i managed to break my Rift S

Finished a late-night gaming session, took it off and left it on the couch thinking it’d put it away in the morning.

Got up about 9am, had breakfast etc, then freaked out when i noticed i had left it in exactly the right position for the sun to stream in through the window behind the couch and right into the lenses...

Yep, two permanent dark streaks on the LCD panel :(

Luckily Oculus/FB have been good, i managed to arrange a return and replacement under warranty, though given the current situation i’ll probably be VR-less for a few weeks

tl;dr - don’t let the sun see your headset lenses!

Wow, you're really lucky they replaced the poo poo that you broke. I recently read about somebody who couldn't get their Rift S cable replaced because Oculus said it was their fault for letting it twist too much.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

Wow, you're really lucky they replaced the poo poo that you broke. I recently read about somebody who couldn't get their Rift S cable replaced because Oculus said it was their fault for letting it twist too much.

I'm guessing it depends how its approached and who you get answer the email.

Oculus in general has hooked me up tons. Wont get into all the details but 3 cables, 2 controllers, and minimal fuss. Yeah I had to give em tons of info, but meh, took a day or whatever and stuff got processed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I keep my OG rift in a helmet bag in a closet there is no way the sun will get to it (or me :reject: )

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Reggie Watts has been doing an hour set every Saturday night in AltspaceVR. I’ve attended the past 3 weeks, and it’s been fun.

I haven’t been hanging out in there as much as I used to, but cool to chill with a bunch of people and listen to funny made up music.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think the more grounded the easier it is to have those moments. The only time i've experienced what I guess you'd call true presence was playing ETS2, hauling cargo late at night, with a light rain, the windshield wipers going, and a real radio station on the in game radio playing, and for a split second I started to reach for the air vents to adjust the air conditioning.

I've had the opposite effect more though, where I feel like a phantom limb situation almost when outside of VR. Like after playing 4 hours of lone echo, taking a break and it just feeling wrong i'm not able to just float downstairs and push off the walls.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Uh

Holy poo poo :lmao:

I admit the first time playing VR for the tutorial I tried leaning against the table that forms around you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Leal posted:

Holy poo poo :lmao:

I admit the first time playing VR for the tutorial I tried leaning against the table that forms around you.

I still do this kind of thing constantly. putting the controller down on a table that wasn't real is my best

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tried out Virtual Desktop last night - The Lab worked well. A little stuttering occasionally but it generally worked as fine as the Link cable. Encouraging!

Then I tried Poker Stars with pretty bad results. Poker Stars isn't exactly the most optimized game in the world but once I got into a game it became basically unplayable. I'm assuming my router just couldn't hang since I was playing with a full table.

Bummer if I can't play multiplayer games like this but overall I'm still amazed it works at all. Am I correct in that you can't play Oculus games this way?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

Uh

I was thinking of building a roof deck on top of my garage to have a huge dedicated VR space but I guess I better have a professional build the rails really strong and really high.

Other than the suicide factor it seems like a cool idea, I have all the equipment I need to make a backpack PC and I already power my lighthouses with powerbanks, so as long as I can put up a temporary shade for direct sunlight and rain it should work?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zero VGS posted:

I was thinking of building a roof deck on top of my garage to have a huge dedicated VR space but I guess I better have a professional build the rails really strong and really high.

Other than the suicide factor it seems like a cool idea, I have all the equipment I need to make a backpack PC and I already power my lighthouses with powerbanks, so as long as I can put up a temporary shade for direct sunlight and rain it should work?

Doesn't getting warm make VR sickness worse?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I don't feel any discongruity with stylized VR graphics.

The biggest disconnect to me is animation and IK. The moment I start seeing elbows bend funny or watching another player move from A to B and their lower half does that weird ghost crab walk because no one is wearing body trackers is what gets me

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Penpal posted:

I actually find stylized graphics more immersive in some cases because it feels like I am walking around a papier-mâché set. Attempted photorealism makes the resolution problems much more apparent.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 17, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

The biggest disconnect to me is animation and IK. The moment I start seeing elbows bend funny or watching another player move from A to B and their lower half does that weird ghost crab walk because no one is wearing body trackers is what gets me

On the other side of that, watching someone with full-body tracking take off their headset and walk out of their playspace is one of the funniest things you will ever see in VR :allears:. (A close runner-up being the trackers glitching and deciding to shuffle what each controller and tracker denotes, and they start doing car-wreck yoga in a pile on the ground).

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Penpal posted:

:same:

Poker Stars has always been a game that feels very much like sitting around a table with actual people. I think it's because it's only hands, so I can't get distracted by terrible arm movement. My brain easily makes the connection between their hands and their avatar.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

Doesn't getting warm make VR sickness worse?

Not sure I've ever gotten that warm during VR actually, it's freezing 9 months out of the year. Good point about which seasons I could use it in though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Tip posted:

If you are calling customer service to get a part replaced or repaired under warranty do not give any details as to why you think the thing broke. It just stopped working, it is a mystery. Do not give them any excuse to file the failure under self inflicted damage rather than general wear and tear. If you're talking about how many times you twisted the cable you've hosed up.

Also yes some customer service agents are better to talk to than others due to them being human beings. Generally any agent has the ability to replace parts for free or repair outside of warranty, but will be more or less willing based on ther experience, how much they want to help you and if they think they will get in trouble if they go against policy.

Also also remember they're likely being constantly graded on how long each call takes so if you don't waste their time they will like you more.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

AndrewP posted:

Tried out Virtual Desktop last night - The Lab worked well. A little stuttering occasionally but it generally worked as fine as the Link cable. Encouraging!

Then I tried Poker Stars with pretty bad results. Poker Stars isn't exactly the most optimized game in the world but once I got into a game it became basically unplayable. I'm assuming my router just couldn't hang since I was playing with a full table.

Bummer if I can't play multiplayer games like this but overall I'm still amazed it works at all. Am I correct in that you can't play Oculus games this way?

I tried this out last night too. Vox Machinae was absolutely perfect, No Man’s Sky worked great flying in space but had some real frame rate problems in the Nexus. Overall pretty impressed, and I was left with the feeling that some tweaking will make this totally viable.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I just tried Virtual Desktop streaming as well, and I am amazed at how much it has been improved. I remember it running like poo poo when they first introduced it, so I just kinda gave up on it.

I am currently playing Half-Life: Alyx on a below spec PC, streaming to my Quest across a mediocre router, and it runs amazingly well. There is just the slightest bit of jitter on rare occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
I'm probably going to start on HL: Alyx today. I've been waiting to get used to VR to try it, so I've mostly been playing around in Beat Saber, VRChat, and H3VR.