Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

An honest capitalist. Good for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Unlike Hillary, the coronavirus did remember to go to Wisconsin

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it is going to be a long long long wait, better just chill out and relax. This is just life now.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

PawParole posted:

killary sent it to make up for lost ground

u cant kill everyone urself

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Burn Zone posted:

less than a month into re-opening Tennessee is giving up on restrictions for restaurants and retail

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/limited-capacity-restriction-to-be-lifted-for-restaurants-retail-in-most-counties

lmfao

death cult

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PawParole posted:

[Covid-19 May] Unlike Hillary, the coronavirus did remember to go to Wisconsin

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
why doesnt trmpl just treat this virus like Hillary

lock 👏 it 👏 up 🙌

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PawParole posted:

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

CODChimera posted:

So millions of US citizens just don't have an income? My head hurts thinking about this poo poo

lol those people are just the lazy poors! if they wanted a job they could go be essential workers at the grocery store and make bank. 4 hours a week at $7.25 is almost THIRTY TWO DOLLARS A WEEK.

the job creators cant tolerate this. how will we sustain profits if we pay people thirty two bucks a week????

what the gently caress is wrong with you? why wont u think of the shareholders? we can replace the workers if they die. we cant replace the corporations.

god damnit wake up!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Rah! posted:

killary sent it to make up for lost ground

u cant kill everyone urself

Just killin in Cedar Rapids

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Skull Servant posted:

:abuela:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Skull Servant posted:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Higgy posted:

why doesnt trmpl just treat this virus like Hillary

lock 👏 it 👏 up 🙌

the virus is already in most prisons at this point

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

PawParole posted:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

A Wild Animal posted:

I am the Strongest Man on Earth; my Lungs are Muscular; and will eject this Virus as a Nogoodnik is ejected from a Respectable Establishment; I have No Fear.
Hell yeah!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

But I want schadenfreude NOW

Wait until June or longer i guess

Although no particular outcome is guaranteed, public-health experts believe that something similar will happen in the United States in the weeks to come, as states begin to reopen. But here, we wont have the benefit of such up-to-date information to judge the countrys progress. Andy Slavitt, a health-care official in the Obama administration, theorized at the beginning of May that the U.S. wont see the cumulative effect of any reopening spikes until June, because of the weeks it takes for one case to go from transmission to death. Crystal Watson, a professor and risk-assessment expert at Johns Hopkins Universitys Center for Health Security, recently told the Associated Press that she expects the lag in the United States to be even longer: five to six weeks from when businesses reopen.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder how effective it would be to have a bunch of consumer-grade HEPA filters in indoor public environments?

I'm guessing you'd need a high turnover of the air volume to make any real difference

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

I wonder how effective it would be to have a bunch of consumer-grade HEPA filters in indoor public environments?

I'm guessing you'd need a high turnover of the air volume to make any real difference

zooming that infectious air past my face into the filter

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Wait until June or longer i guess

Although no particular outcome is guaranteed, public-health experts believe that something similar will happen in the United States in the weeks to come, as states begin to reopen. But here, we wont have the benefit of such up-to-date information to judge the countrys progress. Andy Slavitt, a health-care official in the Obama administration, theorized at the beginning of May that the U.S. wont see the cumulative effect of any reopening spikes until June, because of the weeks it takes for one case to go from transmission to death. Crystal Watson, a professor and risk-assessment expert at Johns Hopkins Universitys Center for Health Security, recently told the Associated Press that she expects the lag in the United States to be even longer: five to six weeks from when businesses reopen.

Hmm

Schadenfreude delayed is schadenfreude denied...

Or

Schadenfreude is a dish best served cold?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

it's like old school sears roebuck catalog schadenfreud where you mail in your order and get your stuff in a couple months

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Spoondick posted:

it's like old school sears roebuck catalog schadenfreud where you mail in your order and get your stuff in a couple months

That's how my Amazon deliveries to Puerto Rico work these days, so I appreciate this metaphor

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just found out lf waifu m.i.a. is a 5g virus conspiracist. Sigh

https://twitter.com/MIAuniverse/status/1242421969905221634?s=19

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 05:15 on May 17, 2020

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

Ahh.

Although I'm not sure how effective that is going to be considering some industries are dead/heavily reduced capacity AND the virus will flare back up harder and faster than before...

freedom and honest work defeated roni that's why it's going away everywhere that votes how the president likes

coke
Jul 12, 2009

CODChimera posted:

So millions of US citizens just don't have an income? My head hurts thinking about this poo poo

well the government could step in and help everyone out to minimize death but we'd rather give all the money to the rich instead

in other news
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/300014145/covid19-green-light-for-sex-industry-to-restart

quote:

During the lockdown, some sex workers applied for assistance under the wage subsidy scheme but there is a wariness about declaring being a sex worker inside a government system, in cases of issues arising such as custody of children and tax.

"Others were not worried about those matters at all and were pleased to receive the assistance."

Healy is expecting a busy time for sex workers. A common concern in many countries, including New Zealand, is that they are not working with enough clients. The recent shutdown may change this, she said.

"The number one thing they all say is it's not busy enough ...it's the universal complaint."

nice to see them recognizing sex workers as actual workers to provide regulation and protection instead of just ignoring them and hope they doesn't exist

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

mia 5th g hypocrisy

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

yeah she works for the cia so it's not surprising she's pushing 5g conspiracies

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Skull Servant posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PawParole posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tbh I never liked mia

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

crosspost

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

snoo posted:

crosspost

posts from the future

"wow i can't believe schumer helped privatize social security in exchange for businesses being totally indemnified for getting their workers killed!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

clockwork chaos posted:

I'm mad that states reopening means starbucks stops giving catastrophe pay. Great now I either go to work, get sick and die because nothing has changed, it's still a fuckin'pandemic, or I continue to stay at home but not longer get paid and slowly run out of funds because bills never stopped. Then I go back to work, get sick and die.

And tons of people have it worse, has like /anyone/ successfully received unemployment during this? A single person? Anyone at all

They have decided that letting 1% of the population die is better than letting 15% of the working population be temporarily unemployed. Of course they say it isn't that bad and it will be much less than 1%, but even if it was a guaranteed 2% of the population they'd go with let 'em die. Mostly elderly, sickly, or poor people dieing? Hell yeah, let 'em die. (They won't say this part out loud yet, but letting those people die may even improve the national finances.)

Once things open up they won't close again regardless of the numbers of deaths. Sacrificing a few hundred thousand citizens to Mammon for continued prosperity is a bargain they are willing to make. The government isn't going to protect anyone.

So that puts the ball in your court.
  • You can try to hold out in seclusion for a year while it rips through the population, hoping for herd immunity or better tested and proven treatments to be released.

• You can go back to work, do what you can with sanitizer and masks (and face shields?) to try to prevent yourself from getting it for as long as possible -- this has the advantage that you don't need to forage for nuts and berries to survive.

• You can throw up your hands, return to your normal lifestyle, and embrace the bloodshed -- accept that you will inevitably get the roni and just hope that you'll be in the majority of infected who don't have serious complications. Once you get it be one of those people who doesn't even bother to self-isolate. Embrace your destiny as a plague rat and breath on every boomer chud you see and hope to take them down with you.

I'm lucky, since I'm on disability I can try for seclusion without having to learn how to snare squirrels for protein. If you don't have a guarenteed income you'll have to work out the best plan with what you got.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Thesaurus posted:

Hmm

Schadenfreude delayed is schadenfreude denied...

Or

Schadenfreude is a dish best served cold?

I once had to set up an email account for someone who wanted the username schadenfreude. Except, they misspelled the word on the form. I dutifully created the account with the misspelled word, and I derived pleasure from doing so. I have always thought that was somewhat poetic.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

without knowing how often reinfections can occur herd immunity is a huge gamble, you could just end up with an endemic disease where people get reinfected every 6 months and your herd immunity ends up nothing more than herd culling

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Once things open up they won't close again regardless of the numbers of deaths.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

Aino Minako posted:

I once had to set up an email account for someone who wanted the username “schadenfreude.” Except, they misspelled the word on the form. I dutifully created the account with the misspelled word, and I derived pleasure from doing so. I have always thought that was somewhat poetic.

Thank you.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, they choose to sacrifice the population in the name of the "economy" but in reality, they will cause far more economic damage than if they had kept a real lockdown.

Sweden, which never officially shut down, has the same or less economic activity than its neighbors because everyone is too terrified to go outside.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Spoondick posted:

without knowing how often reinfections can occur herd immunity is a huge gamble, you could just end up with an endemic disease where people get reinfected every 6 months and your herd immunity ends up nothing more than herd culling

minimal to none. all the reinfections are false positives on viral fragments. coronavirus arent magically evading adaptivere immunity they just trigger it to kill you first in 1% of cases . in the cases of testing positive again its the viral detritus being cleared out showing up as positive

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Spoondick posted:

the rich will go live in pedo bunkers on new zealand and we will dutifully die for them so open er up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Malcolm XML posted:

minimal to none. all the reinfections are false positives on viral fragments. coronavirus arent magically evading adaptivere immunity they just trigger it to kill you first in 1% of cases . in the cases of testing positive again its the viral detritus being cleared out showing up as positive

antibodies only last so long and with an increasing number of strains of virus over time im skeptical herd immunity is obtainable