Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Facebook Aunt posted:

They have decided that letting 1% of the population die is better than letting 15% of the working population be temporarily unemployed. Of course they say it isn't that bad and it will be much less than 1%, but even if it was a guaranteed 2% of the population they'd go with let 'em die. Mostly elderly, sickly, or poor people dieing? Hell yeah, let 'em die. (They won't say this part out loud yet, but letting those people die may even improve the national finances.)

So, what happens when 20% require hospitalization? On average isn't that what we're seeing? How long do those typically last? Cause 20% of however many people get infected is quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So, what happens when 20% require hospitalization? On average isn't that what we're seeing? How long do those typically last? Cause 20% of however many people get infected is quite a bit.

that 20% gets sent home with a huge bill

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Oh my god I didn't even think about health insurance for next year

States are going to be bankrupt and policies are going to start at $1000/month because there won't be money to cover the subsidies

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I was ranting about this kind of thing the whole time because I'm in manufacturing, but it's because the entire industry declared itself essential. Most ordinances or critical business lists include some type of clause for manufacturing so literally anyone making anything could force their workers to come in to their plants and nobody stopped them.

The only thing that will stop them in the second wave is mass unemployment and dropping sales from the first wave making it not worth the profit to throw 100 people into a wood chipper to make whatever bullshit they are cranking out.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 06:28 on May 17, 2020

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Spoondick posted:

antibodies only last so long and with an increasing number of strains of virus over time im skeptical herd immunity is obtainable

It's likely that we get a few years of immunity to it.

It also mutates very slowly which is one of the reasons SARS died off as suddenly as it did.

Herd immunity without a vaccine or at very least a treatment regiment that we know works is reaaaal dumb.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ah yes, the biden voter in the wild

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol hes mad that the holocaust denial video got taken down

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

probably because we dont eat wind turbine parts

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CODChimera posted:

Ahh.

Although I'm not sure how effective that is going to be considering some industries are dead/heavily reduced capacity AND the virus will flare back up harder and faster than before...

It's going to be hosed up either way and by forcing people to risk their lives going back to work in order to feed themselves capital might make a tiny bit more money.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I was ranting about this kind of thing the whole time because I'm in manufacturing, but it's because the entire industry declared itself essential. Most ordinances or critical business lists include some type of clause for manufacturing so literally anyone making anything could force their workers to come in to their plants and nobody stopped them.

The only thing that will stop them in the second wave is mass unemployment and dropping sales making it not worth the profit to throw 100 people into a wood chipper to make whatever bullshit they are cranking out.

yup its insanely disheartening and sad

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just found out lf waifu m.i.a. is a 5g virus conspiracist. Sigh

https://twitter.com/MIAuniverse/status/1242421969905221634?s=19

the 5G thing is so obviously not true yet a ton of people are super on board

humanity is stupid

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

MorrisBae posted:

Oh my god I didn't even think about health insurance for next year

States are going to be bankrupt and policies are going to start at $1000/month because there won't be money to cover the subsidies

yep that's the real kicker here. gonna be a huge shock when people see the price increase for next year

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ReciteSocial/status/1247213045463633923?s=20

lmao

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

drinking while posting is the modern day sitting in a pub talking to strangers

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

if this pandemic is somehow functionally over by december in the US I am gonna have to go ahead and not have any health insurance next year and also not pay any healthcare bills, should they arise

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

drinking while posting is the modern day sitting in a pub talking to strangers

I'm not drinking alone my cat is here.

Wait I dont have a cat.

Who's cat is this?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How the gently caress does anyone have health insurance

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
At least one hundred babies born into Ukraine's surrogate motherhood business

:stare: im sorry WHAT?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1261889191069339648

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

5g is not sickening people physically but it will continue to own us all mentally as more internet = more stupid

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

At least one hundred babies born into Ukraine's surrogate motherhood business

:stare: im sorry WHAT?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1261889191069339648

cyberpunk dystopia baby!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have to admit, things are really lovely but then I realize, wow they're REALLY lovely

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

it's a waste

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

the 5G thing is so obviously not true yet a ton of people are super on board

humanity is stupid

Let's be honest, the hysteria is because Chinese companies are ahead of us in implementing it. China is the great evil, therefore so is 5g.

Also, that goes for any country that "gets in America's way."

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't trust any technology from after 1925

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

shovelbum posted:

I don't trust any technology from after 1925

Well then you'd better stop using your shovel, hyprocrite

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Well then you'd better stop using your shovel, hyprocrite

It's vintage and I'm posting from a telegraph

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Aino Minako posted:

I once had to set up an email account for someone who wanted the username “schadenfreude.” Except, they misspelled the word on the form. I dutifully created the account with the misspelled word, and I derived pleasure from doing so. I have always thought that was somewhat poetic.

Hub Dirt posted:

Thank you.

THank you for your service

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

taking my anti-coronal :350:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Siljmonster posted:

I work for a pretty good company so they offer a.....relatively.....cheap plan.

Supposedly full coverage insurance for just me is $50 a week. Which would be fine if the last time I went to the doctor I didn't have $,$$$ in bills I was responsible for because insurance companies can just endlessly "Um Actually...." doctors and pharmacies. Out of the last 3 prescriptions I've been given the insurance company called the pharmacist and refused to allow 2 of them.

I can't cancel it either because I have some health issues I need to get resolved and I'd rather have $20,000 hit my credit instead of $200,000

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

5g is not sickening people physically but it will continue to own us all mentally as more internet = more stupid

Can't wait for that 5G-chan music video.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Siljmonster posted:

I'm poor so my state gives it to me.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

gently caress Captain America's shield. That ain't gonna do poo poo. Give me the iron man suit.

Also: The Republican party is going to make Killery the president retroactively.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

you can't fool me this was obviously filled out by a boomer

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i remember when the telegraph line came to town

too choked up now to even say anything about it, but i saw what it did to people

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Let's be honest, the hysteria is because Chinese companies are ahead of us in implementing it. China is the great evil, therefore so is 5g.

Also, that goes for any country that "gets in America's way."

a lot of the left talks about 5g as being bad because it will enable pervasive surveillance but the truth is, there's no loving way it will be reliable or fast enough. they're greatly overselling its abilities and higher frequencies will just make it too difficult

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Shipon posted:

a lot of the left talks about 5g as being bad because it will enable pervasive surveillance but the truth is, there's no loving way it will be reliable or fast enough. they're greatly overselling its abilities and higher frequencies will just make it too difficult

most tmobile towers are fed with 1gig pipes anyway. You want a faster connection to the tower that's cool but it's still bottlenecked to the rest of the network. I hear you get a little 5g icon on your status bar. Neat!

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BeefThief posted:

if this pandemic is somehow functionally over by december in the US I am gonna have to go ahead and not have any health insurance next year and also not pay any healthcare bills, should they arise

Health insurance companies can't just jack up prices until they make a profit, because if they jack them up too high then people will just stop buying insurance, which would be bad. It's like the Laffer curve; there is a precise cost of insurance that will maximize revenue.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

5G not being anywhere near as good as it's promised as, is the real reason it's bad

telcos are going to use it as an excuse to continue to not invest in infrastructure because they're going to claim that it's just as fast as a wired connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shipon posted:

In the mainstream press, it seems like the general fear is that it will be the Chinese government specifically doing it. It seems like 5g would probably be pretty poor for a surveillance system since its range is limited and most of the time people are going to be using 4g networks. Then there is the standard EM paranoia crowd is against all radio waves. That said, the hardcore hysteria more recently has been from the alt/far-right and it is obvious who the target is.

Anyway 5g is just running up against physics and pre-existing infrastructure, the higher the frequency the waves you need to generate the less they are going to penetrate objects and likewise it isn't going to work well if the infrastructure isn't ready for the system.

It is also why other parts of the world may benefit more from the system since they often have superior wired internet connectivity than the US.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:47 on May 17, 2020