Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

Every professional baseball and basketball stadium in Texas is now indoors and he gives no solutions in his article for those - just states that it could be 'worked out'.

The article is a fantasy and nearly all of it couldn't done logistically. Thanks for helping Dan!

Time for benevolent sports teams owners to demand subsidies for brand new state of the art open air stadiums!!! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The roof at MMP is open almost never because lol at playing in Houston in the summer, the Rangers just built a brand new stadium because August in Arlington was excruciating. Does the hole in Jerryworld count as outside

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

The roof at MMP is open almost never because lol at playing in Houston in the summer, the Rangers just built a brand new stadium because August in Arlington was excruciating. Does the hole in Jerryworld count as outside

Exactly, time for these lazy rear end cities fat with cash to pony up for even moar stadiums! Screw suburbia people will just live in each newer/better stadium!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1261390467150856200

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

i say swears online posted:

I was thinking about this tonight; most of us graduated high school in the mid 90s to late 2000s. Who here had a 'kicker' clique at their school? I assume it's way less common now, and probably died out where I went (cedar park and leander), but looking it up it seems smaller than I even guessed; it doesn't even have its own urbandictionary page which is the end-all

edit it's primarily a suburban phenomenon of encroaching on rural communities, since them being a clique implies they're not close to a majority

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

loving finally

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those storms aren't even moving wtf

litany of gulps posted:

I was in one of the first classes to attend Cedar Park High School when it opened - I would've gone to Leander for my freshman year if they hadn't opened CPHS. I don't really remember much in the way of kickers at the high school, although my older brother hated having to go to Leander's high school because it was a bunch of genuine redneck hillbillies. When I was in elementary school at Faubion, before Cedar Park started to blow up, there were a pretty good number of the sort of rural roleplayers.

I was from Jonestown, which was more poorer hippies and crazies than rural kickers. Cedar Park was more exurban turning to suburban, and as you got toward Leander you saw more actual rural people. We all went to the same schools, though.
Ha, I went back and forth. Cedar Park '99, Leander until '03. Despite being so close, there was definitely a huge culture gap

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it really is amazing how different houston and austin's climates are. this storm down there hasn't moved in hours; that doesn't happen in central texas

of anywhere on earth houston reminds me most of Lagos

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

yeah houston sucks but they do have the interesting weather

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

yeah houston sucks but they do have the interesting weather

https://twitter.com/jrileywx/status/1261414342248984577?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

owns

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

what else did your uncle who works at nintendo tell you about the super mario MMORPG

Reports are now starting to hit the press backing this up. Again, I'm just a dude on the internet and I don't expect to be believed, but I know my source to be telling the truth and they got it straight from Musk's mouth.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/15/tesla-factory-austin-texas/

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

"I used atomics against a natural feature of the desert. It was in my way and I was in a hurry to get to you, Lt. Governor, to ask your explanation for your stupid goddamned op-ed in the DMN this morning."

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Reports are now starting to hit the press backing this up. Again, I'm just a dude on the internet and I don't expect to be believed, but I know my source to be telling the truth and they got it straight from Musk's mouth.

Is your uncle Joe Rogan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the radar owns, it's like texas is a battle royale map

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

the radar owns, it's like texas is a battle royale map

Agreed. Love the big fuckoff line of storm from Oklahoma to Mexico.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

There's barely any action here in north DFW but my power's been out for an hour

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

come on... come on!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

come on... come on!!!

the last couple years these fuckers have been fizzling or splitting around austin when they come through, we're due to get smacked

i used to see hail all the time in the 90s, it seems so rare now

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

the last couple years these fuckers have been fizzling or splitting around austin when they come through, we're due to get smacked

i used to see hail all the time in the 90s, it seems so rare now

When I moved to Texas in the spring of 2015, two weeks later it rained hard non-stop for two weeks and it was hellish and awesome.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

When I moved to Texas in the spring of 2015, two weeks later it rained hard non-stop for two weeks and it was hellish and awesome.

I was moving here during that storm. Dallas to Austin took 9 hours because 35 was flooded out in several places.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Is your uncle Joe Rogan

Lol that dude got super vindicated.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Who would you rather? Your actual facebook uncle, or Uncle Rogan? I know who I'd pick.

Also what the everloving gently caress is a kicker

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Think goth, but with country western style instead. Bored middle class kids making weird fashion choices.

It was explained like 3 times if you read the thread.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Think goth, but with country western style instead. Bored middle class kids making weird fashion choices.

Oh is that what it is? This is just like, every male student in a suburban high school in the 2000s.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Marxalot posted:

Who would you rather? Your actual facebook uncle, or Uncle Rogan? I know who I'd pick.

Also what the everloving gently caress is a kicker

Its a shitkicker. Country boy.

In this context they're talking about cos play country kids from Texas suburbs in the early 2000s

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

The town where I lived flooded when this happened and lots of people lost their homes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Oh is that what it is? This is just like, every male student in a suburban high school in the 2000s.

no way that was Abercrombie

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Sab0921 posted:

In this context they're talking about cos play country kids from Texas suburbs in the early 2000s

It's like 80% of the people at the Rodeo cookoff. The other 20% are people that don't cosplay and are actual cowboys.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Bellaire even had a contingent of good ol boys floating around and they were at least 20 miles in every direction from a pasture.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh hey remember when I posted this?

Shifty Pony posted:

State updated.

+1448 infections, +58 deaths.

Tests are still higher than they have been, at +35.9k. I'm wondering if they just got a large private lab network to start reporting test numbers or something. Hopefully they aren't doing what VA has been doing and using antibody tests to dilute the testing number for a better look.

Well guess what they are doing!

eke out posted:

i was reading this lovely Polling Guy explain why the liberals are wrong and actually texas is doing great

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/1261651654174179334

so I wondered: is Texas actually testing way more people and finding way fewer positives this week, even while their new cases and death numbers have spiked 25%?

turns out, the answer is "no, they are faking their stats" and Sean At RCP couldn't even be bothered to google this before posting a Hot Take Thread

https://twitter.com/indivisibleATX/status/1261668407407247360

quote:

The testing data itself is muddied. The Texas Department of State Health Services now includes antibody tests — which can detect whether a person previously recovered from COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus — in its daily testing totals. But the state reports do not differentiate those figures from standard nasal swab tests, so it’s impossible to know how many tests show active infections and how many show previous infections.

also:

quote:

A spokesperson for DSHS confirmed to the Observer that the agency includes “some antibody results” in its official statistics. “Now that antibody tests have become more available, we are working to provide data by type of test and whether cases are confirmed cases of active infection identified by [viral] test or probable cases identified by antibody tests,” Lara Antone, the spokesperson, wrote in an email Thursday evening. She did not answer specific questions about how many of the tests or positive cases included in Texas’ count so far are based on antibody tests, why they are being included, or when these test results will be delineated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that explains the sudden spike in testing capacity.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

D-Pad posted:

The folks at Austin' regional Burning Man event are currently discussing ways to make sure that Musk never finds out that they exist.

Sab0921 posted:

I think that subculture was kind of an outgrowth of cowboy media's resurgence in the 80s (and the 90s rise of pop-Country). Then Napoleon Dynamite went and showed us a much truer image of rural America and kinda of shattered the romantic illusion.

The only places I really see evidence of any type of poo poo-kicker subculture now is in some Tejano fashion. Plenty of 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants who've lived in cities their whole lives still wearing cowboys hats and alligator boots to go out on the weekends.

This does make me wonder about rockabillies, though. Like, are they still a thing? I remember when that basically was the dominant Austin style (far more than any hipster variant that was more stereotypical).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We did it boys, your brave unwilling sacrifice has demonstrated the kind of greatness this state deserves. 🇨🇱 🇨🇱 🇨🇱

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1261589748797321216

I do remember one kid at school that would always wear his cowboy regalia. I never really knew what his deal was though. I just thought it was weird.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SlothfulCobra posted:

We did it boys, your brave unwilling sacrifice has demonstrated the kind of greatness this state deserves. 🇨🇱 🇨🇱 🇨🇱

As an aside, I wonder why Thursdays and Fridays seem to always be the peak days for deaths. Like, looking at the Johns Hopkins data, there seems to be a very distinct 7-day cycle where things are lowest on Sundays/Mondays and highest Thursdays/Fridays.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

As an aside, I wonder why Thursdays and Fridays seem to always be the peak days for deaths. Like, looking at the Johns Hopkins data, there seems to be a very distinct 7-day cycle where things are lowest on Sundays/Mondays and highest Thursdays/Fridays.

Long story short, quite a few states don't report their numbers on weekends, and catch up on reporting on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Well that explains the sudden spike in testing capacity.

Yep. There's pretty much zero reason to include antibody tests in the total used for reopening because they're pretty much entirely worthless for determining the current state of spread and number of infectious people running around.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

🇨🇱 🇨🇱 🇨🇱

The Great State of...Chile?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
lol old school.

I'm down in Corpus for the weekend visiting a friend of mine. Everyone will be glad to know that this is completely over, and never happened, and things are back to normal. Welcome to Gulf Coast South Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah my dad will give me an update on south padre beaches when he's done with his route today, i'm sure it's grim