Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hopes Fall posted:

Other than Beer Cheese soup, Cheddar biscuits, and Mac and Cheese, any pantry-light ideas on how to use up a metric ton of cheddar cheese? My sister sent her husband to the store for groceries, and asked him to grab "a couple blocks of cheese" and he came back with nearly $100 worth of cheese, including 4 5lb blocks of cheddar.

I now own a 5lb block of cheese. I like cheese, but drat.

Make some pimento cheese, the caviar of the south! Relatedly, cheese-and-onion, one of the standard British sandwich fillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When I have too much cheddar (sometimes my wife's dad sends us a big old block from Vermont) I like to make a poo poo ton of little cheese and onion or cheese and potato handpies.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
'Handpie' lmao it's a pasty

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's a piroshky

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

'Handpie' lmao it's a pasty

Turn on your monitor

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Looks like a calzone to me

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I mean whatever it is I like it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any way to unstick gyoza that have frozen together

I thought they seemed dry so I stuck them in a ziplock and tossed them in the freezer instead of freezing individually on a tray first and now I rue that mistake

crowbar

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

How Wonderful! posted:

When I have too much cheddar (sometimes my wife's dad sends us a big old block from Vermont) I like to make a poo poo ton of little cheese and onion or cheese and potato handpies.

That looks delightful.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

My favorite Pho restaurant just opened for take out, and just the taste of it reminded me of better times. Any body have tips on making Pho ? The broth seems like magic. I have even thought of growing the basil and sawtooth herbs they put in here. I would love to make this soup for my friends.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for all the curry advice yesterday! I made the yellow massaman curry and it was good! Tasted a whole lot more like Indian food than I’d imagined (not a bad thing), and after reading up on massaman curry I see why.

I’d never looked at the nutrition facts on coconut milk and dammmmnnnn. That’s alota calories in a can. Delicious though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wouldn’t make pho unless you can’t get it. Their broth game is way ahead of yours and pho is dirt cheap. By the time I buy all the meat to make the broth I could have ordered pho for a month.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

princess_peach posted:

My favorite Pho restaurant just opened for take out, and just the taste of it reminded me of better times. Any body have tips on making Pho ? The broth seems like magic. I have even thought of growing the basil and sawtooth herbs they put in here. I would love to make this soup for my friends.

Pho stock is fairly involved to make, pho bo (beef) more so than pho ga (chicken) and you'll need a very large stockpot as it's only worth making in large quantities but you can freeze any stock you don't eat right away happily enough.

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/browse-all/angie-hongs-pho-14237

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Helith posted:

Pho stock is fairly involved to make, pho bo (beef) more so than pho ga (chicken) and you'll need a very large stockpot as it's only worth making in large quantities but you can freeze any stock you don't eat right away happily enough.

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/browse-all/angie-hongs-pho-14237

thank you! I like chicken personally, seems like an all day thing, good thing I got nothing but time right now.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What recipes are made with minimally processed soybeans, either whole dry beans or coarse meal? Can I make normal bean stew with them? Some kind of flatbread using meal?

It seems like there should be a rich history of soybean peasant foods, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Most soybean foodstuffs seem to involve heavy processing and/or fermentation. Can you not just eat them like common beans?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You can make tofu

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know of anything using dried beans, but fresh ones you can eat however you want. There's a bunch of Japanese recipes that use them, or just boil the pods and eat them straight.

I'm not sure what would happen if you rehydrated and cooked dried ones, give it a shot. This recipe at least seems to treat them just like fresh: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/seriously-asian-simmered-soybeans-nimame-recipe.html

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ryanrs posted:

What recipes are made with minimally processed soybeans, either whole dry beans or coarse meal? Can I make normal bean stew with them? Some kind of flatbread using meal?

It seems like there should be a rich history of soybean peasant foods, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Most soybean foodstuffs seem to involve heavy processing and/or fermentation. Can you not just eat them like common beans?

Yes, you can. I have made stew with dried soybeans that I had left over from a terrible attempt at making soy milk. They’re a bit bland, but I only had soybeans and I wanted stew without going out, so it was that or nothing.

If I remember correctly you have to soak them a few times and cook them a bit longer than some other beans I’ve used.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK, that's good to know.

For context, I was just wondering what might happen if the food supply got really messed up and we needed to feed humans with animal feed crops. I know I can turn dent corn into tasty food, but I've never tried cooking with unprocessed soybeans.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That’s kind of an interesting question, there must be some reason that soybeans are usually not eaten like common beans.

In an end-times scenario I feel like something like tempeh wouldn’t be too onerous, you would just have to get used to the fermentation. I guess the hard part would be giving it a warm place. But it’s a pretty minimally processed food, it’s just boil, seed, and ferment.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Eeyo posted:

That’s kind of an interesting question, there must be some reason that soybeans are usually not eaten like common beans.

In an end-times scenario I feel like something like tempeh wouldn’t be too onerous, you would just have to get used to the fermentation. I guess the hard part would be giving it a warm place. But it’s a pretty minimally processed food, it’s just boil, seed, and ferment.

Edamame? I buy the frozen steam bags. But it's not like a bean. I wonder what qualifies it to be a considered a bean

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

princess_peach posted:

Edamame? I buy the frozen steam bags. But it's not like a bean. I wonder what qualifies it to be a considered a bean

I'd consider a bean to be members of the Phaseolus genus, which would give you the the "common bean" (Phaseolus vulgaris), runner bean (Phaseolus coccineus), lima bean (Phaseolus lunatus), and a few other obscure beans. The common bean includes stuff like green beans (string beans) black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, great northern beans, etc. They're also all new-world species, first domesticated on the west side of the Atlantic mostly in mesoamerica.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get really bad diarrhea from raw soybeans

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

"can" not "will", thems my kinda odds

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Eeyo posted:

In college the cafeteria would sometimes have boiled edamame but they would also sometimes have butterbeans and whenever I mistakenly got a scoop of edamame it was the biggest disappointment. I guess they're edible, but they are the most flavorless and bland of all the beans. Maybe the reason they are always fermented/processed is that they are pretty bad by themselves?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OTOH, edemame is delicious

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Soybeans can totally just be eaten, like peas or navy beans or all kinds of other pulses. They're just kind of boring and their texture can be kind of mealy.

But they're good for so much else, why would we eat them as beans especially in light of other quality bean choices?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So here's a weird one:

After months of no Chinese take-out/delivery, a local place finally opened back up. Hooray! I'm not for opening the whole country back up, but I am for supporting struggling local businesses, especially my peeps in the industry. So when I went to Kroger the other day and saw the "open" sign lit up at the Chinese place in the strip mall, I got some stuff.

Only they must be having distribution problems, because nothing I got was like it used to be. For example, the hot & sour soup had no mushrooms, no bean sprouts, like 3 pieces of tofu, and was full of shredded carrots. (Broth was still tasty af, though!)

Anyways, I got what was supposed to be "Mongolian beef", which turned out to be about six meager schnibbles of beef in a sea of onions and scallions. I ate all the hidden treasure beef, and now I've got about a quart of sauteed onions and scallions. I'm thinking of making soup with it, because I hate wasting food, but any other suggestions?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Casu Marzu posted:

OTOH, edemame is delicious

Edamama is good but the beer with it isn't optional.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I ate all the hidden treasure beef, and now I've got about a quart of sauteed onions and scallions. I'm thinking of making soup with it, because I hate wasting food, but any other suggestions?

It's a right turn cuisine-wise, but I think you have a nice sour cream based dip started. Chop it up and treat yourself to a big bowl to enjoy for happy hour!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thursday is my wife's bday and I have a decent dinner planned out on her request (SV beef short ribs, pan sauce, twice baked potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts with some sourdough rolls as a starter).

For a cake she asked for "some combination of angel food cake, berries and cream"

I don't have a trifle dish or else I would make that.

So, I'm definitely gonna make an angel food cake and could just top slices of that with berries in whipped cream... or, I could do something more interesting. Any ideas on that? I can also whip up some dulce de leche, lemon curd, etc. I have a fair amount of options. Berries include strawberry, raspberry, blackberry. I don't need to use all of them in the preparation. Just looking for some options to consider.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Creme anglaise is so damned good and goes great with berries (and also presumably old boots because I would eat anything coated in creme anglaise)

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
My dad brought home a jar of plum jam from a farmer today. Problem: I'm not much of a jam on bread kinda guy. Please give me your best uses for (plum) jam that are not sandwiches or cheeseboards, goons.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pan sauce for poultry or game or pork

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Put it on pancakes and waffles instead of syrup.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mix it into rice pudding, make jam roly poly, eat it on scones with clotted cream, use it as a filling in a victoria sponge cake.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Donuts.

Low effort: Yogurt mix-in or those cookies with jam on them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Pan sauce for poultry or game or pork

Yeah, the sugars and the pectins make for a nice glaze.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Wahad posted:

My dad brought home a jar of plum jam from a farmer today. Problem: I'm not much of a jam on bread kinda guy. Please give me your best uses for (plum) jam that are not sandwiches or cheeseboards, goons.

mix it into cream chese for a sweet-savory spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Rub it in your hair for a daring new style!