Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Gone Home was good, but I think half its impact was being one of the first big walking simulators and going into it having no idea what is was and thinking it was a horror game.

edit: Heavy Rain, and The Walking Dead Season 1, and Gone Home basically resurrected the adventure game into modern times from the dead and led to some of the coolest video game stuff in a long while.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

But Heavy Rain was super bad.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

papa horny michael posted:

did the biederman sibs comment that two of the characters on a relationship on council of dad's are named Lily and Evan, after harry potters parents

I don’t think so (I may have missed it if so) but Jesus Christ that seems right on brand for that show

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Whose bright idea was it to give a goofy sitcom rear end title like "Council of Dads" to a drama show.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I thought Matt was talking about Slender, the game that's literally just about finding mail

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

But Heavy Rain was super bad.

it had some novelty, and good graphics. not the worst david cage game, and its not close either

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

it had some novelty, and good graphics. not the worst david cage game, and its not close either

yeah but david cage is irredeemably bad at making good stories, and worse at games. how he is still making either is beyond me.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Serious Post. Please RT if you can :smith:

https://twitter.com/503chicaa/status/1260697018617475072

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Famethrowa posted:

yeah but david cage is irredeemably bad at making good stories, and worse at games. how he is still making either is beyond me.

David cage is just impossibly terrible at self editing and ultimately is a hack, but when the studio puts all their might into stopping him and editing the poo poo out of him they’re able to pull off a decent story like Detroit l, which while unoriginal wasn’t bad and had good characters in it (especially the old grizzled officer). Let’s see if the studio can keep it up next game.

Also, if you wanted a true experience of how absolute dogshit David cage can be, look no further than the best friends play through of Omikron and Indigo Prophecy:-

https://youtu.be/mvjP5BSbNGk

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57hJfweW_2sOt01sX9TtQRkzv5RS231f

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 17, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The local leftist podcast got Matt on to talk about whatever he's been going off on these vlogs about

https://goodmorningcomrade.podbean.com/e/find-your-grill-with-matt-christman/

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I enjoyed Indigo Prophecy. The story that is, not the gameplay.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shipon posted:

my video game opinion is that roger ebert was right about games not being art and trying to do good story-telling actively robs a game of what it's purpose (enjoyable mechanics) is

Ueda games are the perfect art games because they have terrible mechanics yet are extremely fun and gorgeous.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Games aren't art unless they're made by depressed Slavs

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

have they ever talked about Brooklyn Nine Nine, the show about woke cops? i loving hate that show

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Juul-Whip posted:

have they ever talked about Brooklyn Nine Nine, the show about woke cops? i loving hate that show

Chris the producer told a story about some Australian tourists asking him where the Brooklyn 99 building was and then asked if it was safe to go in that direction (it was never stated outright but I understood the implication being: is it a black neighbourhood); Chris then bemusedly noted that it was funny that Australians would ask such a question. I hope this helps mate.

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009

Juul-Whip posted:

lol it is so insidious how they made the chris pratt character on parks and rec (also from michael schur, who did Brooklyn 99, I'm sure there's some equivalent in the good place too) AND the wilson character on the new girl become cops late in the run of those shows

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I would put Schur up there with Sorkin and Rowling in terms of just... baffling weird adherence to liberal hegemony.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/MetroBoolinn__/status/1260719719935553541

GoodPost

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/srmilesauthor/status/1261279299191128065

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
ICE agents sold them to human traffickers or just directly sold them to be sex slaves or be harvested for adrenochrome, this isn't hard to figure out

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paffgen posted:

lol it is so insidious how they made the chris pratt character on parks and rec (also from michael schur, who did Brooklyn 99, I'm sure there's some equivalent in the good place too) AND the wilson character on the new girl become cops late in the run of those shows

Schur’s saccharine, shmaltzy worldview is so problematic because of the way he just whitewashes every character in every show until they all behave identically like chintzy JC Penny catalogue models. Retta is the only thing even approaching diversity on the cast, since everyone understood the joke with Aziz to be “what if an Indian guy acted really, really white?”.

That said P&R is one of my favorite shows. I liked S2 of The Good Place but dropped off S3 immediately, and I’ve seen maybe 3 seasons of B99 (I really like the gay police captain a lot, that’s a very funny character).

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Shipon posted:

my video game opinion is that roger ebert was right about games not being art and trying to do good story-telling actively robs a game of what it's purpose (enjoyable mechanics) is

There is no accepted definition of what constitutes art. Ebert apparently saw art as some kind of "seal of quality", which is a pretty strange view of what art is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paffgen posted:

Nah The Good Place doesn’t have any cops or cop-adjacent people, and the Good Place committee from the later seasons are basically democrats who can’t get out of their own way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ted Dansen, his manner of speaking and dress, and the demonic glint in his eye is exactly how I imagine a Biden presidency. Just constantly reassuring us that everything is back to normal and fine and the USA is Good, Again, Actually, all the while were in Hell and he is torturing us.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Paffgen posted:

The Chris Pratt character tried to become a cop but failed cause he was dumb. He then went on to be a children's tv show host.

Like if you wanna do dumb lib brain conspiracies about media at least get the lore right.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nah The Good Place doesn’t have any cops or cop-adjacent people, and the Good Place committee from the later seasons are basically democrats who can’t get out of their own way.

I was expecting more lib poo poo coming from Parks and Rec to the good place but The good place genuinely surprised me with how Ok it was.

Also Felix and Lucy on the new This is Sus talking about how good Gilmore Girls was was great because it was and I know how lovely it was but I love it anyway. Luke Danes could get it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Schur is definitely a lib but I think he's one that at least learned from 2016 that the democrats are bad at their jobs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I would rather watch anything sorkin than gilmore girls

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

I would rather watch anything sorkin than gilmore girls

It's garbage but I love it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

When This Is Sus gets spun off into it's own podcast, the highest Patreon reward tier will be a five minute long Skype call with Lucy where you can talk about whatever you want and Lucy will just say YAAAAASSSS after every sentence.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Gripweed posted:

When This Is Sus gets spun off into it's own podcast, the highest Patreon reward tier will be a five minute long Skype call with Lucy where you can talk about whatever you want and Lucy will just say YAAAAASSSS after every sentence.

this honestly sounds more helpful than therapy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

ItohRespectArmy posted:

this honestly sounds more helpful than therapy.

Lucy's reactions are to me what the Stav laugh is to the most broken cum town listeners. It is a pillar of strength in dark times.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Edit: sorry, butt post

Queen Victorian fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 17, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah h[url=]my][/url]

You having a good one?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You having a good one?

Nope, just the most random butt dial post I’ve made.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's garbage but I love it

also Glimore Girls always understood it was trash and while it could tell emotional stories and all there was very little 'this is an IMPORTANT THING we're doing', making it better than near everything on NBC right now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1262024041797386240

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

also Glimore Girls always understood it was trash and while it could tell emotional stories and all there was very little 'this is an IMPORTANT THING we're doing', making it better than near everything on NBC right now.

They could also tell a joke.

Also Laura Graham was and is a dime

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
is chapo in the pocket of nbc? this is us, council of dads, even this aaron sorkin thing (west wing), all are nbc property. is the dirtbag left also the property of big broadcast?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
you know who else is an nbc host? ellen. you heard it here first, chapo is a mockingbird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Stav’s cackle is a gift