Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dear Keir,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

forensic snipe :hellyeah:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

baka kaba posted:

If you can't have a sit down and talk about why there's a Starmer in the room that's making him weirdly on edge (I mean don't make it about your husband, more along the lines of "it's like a weird thing we both tiptoe around and it's fine really") then maybe kinda take his side?

Like say that it's the Corbyn thing already, people thought the press would give him an easy ride but they're already throwing stuff out there to make it stick. The donkey thing is just a funny explanation, even if it's true it almost sounds made up. Like commiserating with him and focusing on the media bastards angle, more than the lol your guy sucks side (even if you weren't, he might still take it that way, especially if there's existing tensions around the topic)

Probably is true though, fancy lawyers and heads of the CPS probably make a lot of ponies, and that's a lot of donkeys

Try and have a talk with him though eh, even if you just end up agreeing not to talk about politics. Sounds like he sees it as a personal thing, like he's a Starmer stand-in almost, so maybe he feels attacked - if you can get him to knock that off it's probably better for everyone

The Novara guys did say that Starmer would have a good libel case against nadine dorries tweeting out that fake video, but people like Starmer arnt street fighters

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
As always with any relationship problems, ask goons for advice.

Give him time to cool down and then talk to him about it. If he can't talk about it calmly then you've got a problem. If he's just being defensive because he made an obviously poo poo choice then he'll probably be amicable to talk about it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
imagine marrying someone who believes in electoralism lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My sister's husband was blairite now starmarist but she is corbynista. She calls him toryboy when they discuss politics because he goes to some local (non-political) group that meets in the local Tory clubhouse.

During the general strike, my nan told me most of the wives were Tory and husbands left (Daily Worker readers - precursor to Morning Star). She said they used to stand across the street hurling insults at each other.

Your hub is probably a bit embarrassed about his choice as Starmer wasn't Stormin' * up the popularity charts within hours of becoming leader.

* Some may recognise this as a take on a Robert Wyatt song title.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jel Shaker posted:

The Novara guys did say that Starmer would have a good libel case against nadine dorries tweeting out that fake video, but people like Starmer arnt street fighters

Wouldn't mind if Big Keir got out a pair of knuckle dusters and started hammering on people, but I have to say that the fact a former head of Public Prosecutions doesn't seem inclined to use the courts to do something about actual libel really drives home what a useless numpty he is.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Wear one of these masks whenever talking to him, and your husband will feel much less stressed about the subject

https://www.funkybunky.co.uk/Item/Keir-Starmer-Mask

if they're out of stock, perhaps one of these t-shirts will set him at ease

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Lord Sumption on BBC News around 4pm saying the Government has no purpose to extend the lockdown other than fear of negative public response. Says Government response has only scared people more when the virus is not as bad as they have been led to believe. Fit and healthy people should be allowed to live their lives, you cannot live without risk. People should be able to take decision about their health and bodies without government intervention. In a sense this fellow advocated for legalisation of all drugs and assisted suicide. (maybe he isn't so bad???)
This pissed me off so much.

Lord Sumption is a judge whose whole gimmick is non-interventionalism in every scenario. He is not representative of views among the senior judiciary, he can make some very interesting academic arguments but bringing his views up in non-legal circles is the equivalent of citing that one economist who thinks Brexit is a good idea instead of literally all the other economists who disagree.

Except that at least he loving knows stuff about law, even if he's fairly consistently wrong on any matter of principle (not just me saying this, it's widely agreed, the other senior judges poke fun at it all the time). Why the gently caress have they got him talking about epidemiology - unless, perhaps, they just want some famous "intellectual" toff to say that all the povs should go back to work, and he's flagrantly obviously going to oppose any kind of intervention since that's literally his whole thing? Which would also explain why they weren't challenging him on anything.

He wasn't even being honest anyway, he might be a dick but he's clever enough to know that "don't punish everyone for a few irresponsible people flouting common sense" and "I would go to the pub or theatre without hesitation" are not consistent positions. He was just shilling for the loving Tories, and of loving course the BBC just uncritically platformed him as an expert despite the clear absence of any actual expertise.

/rant

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
thanks for the advice, ukmt.

i'm fine with agreeing to disagree, not really fine with something being totally not up for discussion. i'm going to leave it for today but try to have a conversation with him about it this week.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Your hub is probably a bit embarrassed about his choice as Starmer wasn't Stormin' * up the popularity charts within hours of becoming leader.

yeah, probably partly this. he's probably also embarrassed because I said the day the result was announced that picking the "sensible" option wouldn't keep the press from coming up with ridiculous poo poo and, well, lol

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ms Adequate posted:

Wouldn't mind if Big Keir got out a pair of knuckle dusters and started hammering on people, but I have to say that the fact a former head of Public Prosecutions doesn't seem inclined to use the courts to do something about actual libel really drives home what a useless numpty he is.

do what exactly? the tweet's already deleted. what's he going to get out of suing? a very small payout. it's not like Dorries can get chucked in jail or forced out of parliament over it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tugendhat and others going bonkers about this. Apparently anti-Semitic. I tried to read it but found it not very readable and very odd. Is it supposed to be humour? Is Stewart Lee one of those HIGNY types? Can't say I'm familiar with his ouevre.

(From what I can gather it is 'anti-semitic' because the name is apparently Jewish. But who knew?)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/17/now-boris-johnson-is-talking-through-his-tugendhat

Phone post and haven't mastered art of copying and pasting articles. Sorry.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tugendhat and others going bonkers about this. Apparently anti-Semitic. I tried to read it but found it not very readable and very odd. Is it supposed to be humour? Is Stewart Lee one of those HIGNY types? Can't say I'm familiar with his ouevre.

(From what I can gather it is 'anti-semitic' because the name is apparently Jewish. But who knew?)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/17/now-boris-johnson-is-talking-through-his-tugendhat

Phone post and haven't mastered art of copying and pasting articles. Sorry.

Yeah it's making fun of his name they're upset about, which sure is not amazing- as someone with a funny sounding name to anglo ears I'll even cringe at making fun of like Yiannopolous. Milo's an absolute oval office but there's no reason to make fun of a very normal greek last name. It's definitely a bit racist, dunno if I'd call it antisemitic.

However, gently caress em, bad faith actors to the last.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

midori-a-gogo posted:

sorry for the e/n post, but i'm not really sure where else to turn with this.

It sounds to me like...

1. This choice was a big deal for him and he thought hard about it.
2. He still isn't sure whether he made the right one.
3. He values your opinion, otherwise he wouldn't be upset.
4. He doesn't think you understand why he voted for Starmer.

I personally wouldn't bring the issue itself up again, it sounds like he has some processing to do on it. If he brings it up I would be prepared to listen only, then repeat back to him to confirm what you've heard. Once he knows you get his reasoning he'll likely be more comfortable that you disagree. It will be tempting to fire out counterpoints but don't, wait until he's finished and make sure you let him know you understand he made a logical choice on his interpretation of the evidence. If he doesn't bring it up again he's realised he has made a bad choice.

You should hopefully get a chance to say your piece and a better discussion after that. Frame things in terms of RLB good rather than Kier bad ie 'I think it would be good to have a strong, left wing, woman as leader' rather than 'Kier is just more of the same neo-liberal men in suits'. 'You'll likely still disagree but don't keep going over the ground, the decision is made for now so why fight about it, time will tell.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 17, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Hah, I completely forgot I'd started to move stuff over to a new blog (with a password I could remember):

https://effortposts.blogspot.com/

Formatting is still a bit weird but I'm working on that. Please feel free to nominate other posts to go on here so it's not quite such a vanity project for me. Could the OP be updated with the new address please?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ forgot to say, great post earlier about the official snow tower

Ms Adequate posted:

The grown ups are in charge now - that means just ignore them!!! If you pay attention to them you're just giving them what they want!

Borrovan posted:

He wasn't even being honest anyway, he might be a dick but he's clever enough to know that "don't punish everyone for a few irresponsible people flouting common sense" and "I would go to the pub or theatre without hesitation" are not consistent positions. He was just shilling for the loving Tories, and of loving course the BBC just uncritically platformed him as an expert despite the clear absence of any actual expertise.

/rant

He's been popping up saying this for a while (Elon "this is FASCIST get back to WORK!!" Musk was signal boosting him as part of his covid truther antics) so yeah real interesting the BBC just decides to get him on today, someone wants a message pushed

Anyone see that little video they made with all their big names doing a little bit to the camera going "some day soon... we'll see our friends again and hug them" etc over piano music and then Huw in the studio going UNTIL THEN WE'LL KEEP YOU INFORMED ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING EVERY STEP OF THE WAY in other countries so it doesn't even feel like they're trying to hide what they're doing or what they believe their role is

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
there should be an international regulatory organisation of Videos Made Up Of Lots Of People Cut Together Each Saying Part Of A Sentence Each In Order To Convey A Sense Of People Working Together that makes sure that only a limited number are allowed to be made each year to prevent overwhelming the cheesy video ecosystem

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Cerv posted:

do what exactly? the tweet's already deleted. what's he going to get out of suing? a very small payout. it's not like Dorries can get chucked in jail or forced out of parliament over it.

Isn't it more about discouraging other Tory MPs from sharing shite on twitter without checking the veracity? Don't imagine he needs the money.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Angepain posted:

there should be an international regulatory organisation of Videos Made Up Of Lots Of People Cut Together Each Saying Part Of A Sentence Each In Order To Convey A Sense Of People Working Together that makes sure that only a limited number are allowed to be made each year to prevent overwhelming the cheesy video ecosystem

the only exemption is if they all use the same (one) piece of stock youtube music, maybe one with banjos :banjo:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Angepain posted:

all people should say the line together, mashed together in a discordant yet unifying chorus; Join The Many (Not The Few)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Advice to renters in this thread:

Command hooks remove without wrecking the walls, rental safe: NOT.

Just peeled chunks off my wall obeying instructions. Luckily it's not a rental.

In my last place (rental) I used nails and filled resulting holes with foam stuff and smeared the surrounding paint over. Couldn't even see the holes at all.

The destruction from these Command hooks is too bad for a smear.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/designboom/status/1262141099382059009?s=20

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

Isn't it more about discouraging other Tory MPs from sharing shite on twitter without checking the veracity? Don't imagine he needs the money.

The whips office have severely bollocked Dorries, Caulfield & Allan over exactly that point.
I’m not sure a course case would really add anything, except the small cash settlement

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The horse field thing is weird cos like "I bought it for my mum" doesn't at all address the central charge that he can afford to buy a horse field. The fact that it's a frivolity only makes it more silly.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
A horse field is much cheaper than a house field.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

midori-a-gogo posted:

sorry for the e/n post, but i'm not really sure where else to turn with this.

my husband and i both joined the party because of corbyn, were generally on the same page, etc. until the leadership election. i voted for RLB, who i didn't think was a perfect candidate but was still the one closest to what i want from labour, while he voted for starmer. he has completely refused to talk about why he voted for starmer with me because he knows i don't think he's the best choice (i have never made this personal with him [why would I?], but i was obviously disappointed the day the result was announced and he took it personally).

today he mentioned donkey sanctuary-gate and i was like, "yeah, unsurprising the mail would do that, but you have to admit, 'i bought the land for a donkey sanctuary for my mum' is a pretty hilarious response." he blew up at me for "taking the other side just because you don't like him" and now says he never wants to talk with me about anything to do with starmer again.

we always really enjoyed debating things we didn't agree about before. i'm going to try not to mention starmer but tbh i think it's a little bit of a strange ask to never talk about the leader of the party we're both active members of! does anyone have any advice on how i should handle the fact that kier starmer is ruining my marriage?

If he blew up at you for making a joke that's disgusting, if you don't feel safe to insult a dogshit politician with your partner then your partner is dogshit.

Morally and intellectually you're completely in the right, if your circumstances mean you have to acquiese to his bullshit then okay stay well keep safe, but if not any oval office that tries to tell you what can and can't be joked about is an evil authoritarian piece of poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well you have to imagine being Regal's son would get you in pretty much anywhere you could possibly imagine in the business, and if you're going to listen to one mans advice there are few you'd consider over him. Doubly so when, as here, the dude is also your dad.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

strong dahir insaat vibes here

also stolen from that lad who made a hug shield from a shower curtain

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I'd kind of like my lamppost to be somewhere with views, like near a river maybe but I kind of feel like the field thing is more immediately eyerolling for the whole way it's being used as a gotcha by the right like "oh calls himself labour does he, but there he is buying LAND. For a HORSE" like it's going to be the basis of every smug rebuttal in PMQs from now on whenever he brings up issues of iunno, housing, they're going to come back with "maybe the right honourable gentleman could build some houses on his field mhuuuermhuuueermhuuuer".

That whole "they think they're so perfect, the hypocrites" angle of attack is a cheap get-out to engaging on anything and it's so tacky and boring.

And from our side, yeah OK, it's not great but I figure there are worse things to hang the guy for, honestly. He should've ploughed that thing under and used it to grow veg for distributing to food banks the second the corona thing started if he wanted to get away with owning land right now but materially I'm much more worried about whether or not he's handing the tories softballs and not opposing hard enough, capitulating too much, and allowing some dodgy poo poo to go through unopposed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's one thing when public schoolboy and london property magnate jeremy corbyn spends his whole life working for good causes, it's another when horse field buyer keir starmer takes his policy cues from the landlord club.

Like some people manage to achieve good things despite their disadvantaged start in life.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Isomermaid posted:

He should've ploughed that thing under and used it to grow veg for distributing to food banks the second the corona thing started if he wanted to get away with owning land right now
if he'd done it himself he'd have been criticised for spending his time gardening in his massive field while millions are stuck in doors; if he'd paid someone else to do it, he'd have been criticised for having an army of serfs; if he'd sold it, he'd have been criticized for land speculation and owning it in the first place

whatever you do the fash media will find a way to be cunts about it, and it's probably not going to help your man of the people credentials but also nor is being a metropolitan lawyer with a knighthood

I imagine they must have other poo poo up their sleeves for closer to an election, but at least for now this is nowhere near as damaging as the terrorism/antisemitism smear campaigns, which did really resonate with the arsehole demographic (aka the great british public)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

winegums posted:

https://twitter.com/JessicaLBarnard/status/1261992466347102214

Why the gently caress can't people on the left just coalesce and get in line. We all want the same things. Why does every oval office need to be in charge of their own little feifdom?

You know that this isn’t a splinter group, right? Momentum is a democratic organisation and is having an election for its National Coordinating Group. These X Momentum groups are just various slates for the NCG election. No one is setting up their own separate Momentum.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SORRY SPEAK UP! CANT HEAR poo poo IN THI...OMG I JUST FARTED AND IT WONT GO AWAY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

You know that this isn’t a splinter group, right? Momentum is a democratic organisation and is having an election for its National Coordinating Group. These X Momentum groups are just various slates for the NCG election. No one is setting up their own separate Momentum.

Yeah that's what I was assuming too, though the general gist seems to be "it should be more democratic" so hopefully they don't split their votes too much.

Does Lansman still basically own momentum or does it have a proper democratic structure?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 18, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

if he'd done it himself he'd have been criticised for spending his time gardening in his massive field while millions are stuck in doors; if he'd paid someone else to do it, he'd have been criticised for having an army of serfs; if he'd sold it, he'd have been criticized for land speculation and owning it in the first place

that's the best bit, he's being criticised for the last thing without even doing it

"there's no planning permission for this kind of thing, BUT WHAT IF HE BUILT LOADS OF HOUSES"
"we spoke to a real estate guy, who has no plans to buy the land, but KNOWS HOW MUCH IT WOULD GO FOR"

it's two-for-one his lordship and straight nimbyism, very powerful. they know their niche

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah that's what I was assuming too, though the general gist seems to be "it should be more democratic" so hopefully they don't split their votes too much.

Does Lansman still basically own momentum or does it have a proper democratic structure?

I mean, I literally in the thing you quoted I told you that Momentum is run by an elected NCG, so no Lansman doesn’t “own” Momentum.

And in fact just today (yesterday now I guess) he announced he’s not running for an NCG place so he’s going to own Momentum even less soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean, I literally in the thing you quoted I told you that Momentum is run by an elected NCG, so no Lansman doesn’t “own” Momentum.

And in fact just today (yesterday now I guess) he announced he’s not running for an NCG place so he’s going to own Momentum even less soon.

I mean that I thought there was a thing where momentum is basically a private company that he personally owned, like that was the legal structure of it. I gather that it has some sort of democratic structure but I wasn't sure whether or not it was underneath his ownership of the organization.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that I thought there was a thing where momentum is basically a private company that he personally owned, like that was the legal structure of it. I gather that it has some sort of democratic structure but I wasn't sure whether or not it was underneath his ownership of the organization.

he's still one of the directors on companies house but there are no individuals with a major voteshare anymore

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes I looked that up too, so I assume the internal elections would remove him as director then? No risk of him just dissolving the company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The secret to Lansman's control of Momentum is not some devious ownership right but the very traditional one of simply running the thing and then having a board that 1) he chairs, that 2) meets only quarterly, and 3) is not predisposed to be hostile anyway.

Its glory days may have passed anyway... without Corbyn as a loyalty totem (e.g. during the vicious battle to prevent Remainers from revolting within Momentum itself - despite the only Members' Council, assorted member petitions, etc. across peak #lovecorbynhatebrexit - Lansman could whip Momentum to a line by simply presenting the NCG with a motion that any position Momentum takes will be pre-approved by the Labour leadership and where the Labour leadership will be seen to be leading the campaign. The motion passed. Not much holding Labour to account there), it is hard to see how similar battles could be managed in the future. Unlikely to have the left fall in line so readily for Deputy Leader Rayner.

The main existential risk for Momentum is "becomes an ineffectual debating union, membership numbers fall, becomes dominated by one faction, becomes irrelevant in toto". Its main resource is a mailing list - it doesn't have huge funding or vast numbers of loyal volunteers. For a mailing list to be effective it needs to be sending out a broadly agreeable message - any actual internal dissension is fatal as it would entail more energy to fight for control than the resource being controlled would justify.