Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Chichevache posted:

So all guns are unlawful there?

I know it's :thejoke: but seriously, almost all guns ARE lawful there.

It's explicitly legal to have a loaded gun in your car, or on the way to or from your car. They call it, without irony, the "peaceable journey" law.

It's explicitly illegal for localities in Texas to add gun restrictions to what the state (doesn't) do.

The only thing you really need a permit for is carrying a concealed weapon on your person, and they legally have to give it to you if you meet the criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Doltos posted:

If it's unregistered it's unlawful.

They definitely shouldn't be doing that and I imagine Ed Oliver's legal team was just like thank you, that's awesome

Why?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Because allegations and rumors of impropriety can be more easily rebutted with video footage.

That’s why we have body cameras. What specifically about releasing them on the internet before even a pre trial hearing is accomplished?

Mr Nice i need your criminal law Brain here pronto. I know that it won’t have much effect in the overall proceedings obviously but Ive got so many issues with the releasing of his private information like the license plate

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
"For whatever it’s worth, Oliver seemed to stay calm with officers." hmm

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

Wait, how the gently caress is carrying a gun in Texas unlawful? Cause he is black? I am legit confused. Wait are they classifying like a 2x4 a weapon?

In Texas it's illegal to carry a gun while committing most crimes such as, in this case, driving while intoxicated.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sean10mm posted:

Texas has no gun registration.

What the gently caress.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Doltos posted:

What the gently caress.

I sort of envy you if you're this innocent of how insane gun laws are in the South.

There are almost 90,000 silencers :actually: suppressors legally in circulation in Texas, for instance.

e: If you jump through the hoops to get the proper federal tax stamp, Texas EXPLICITLY DOES NOT GIVE A poo poo if you have any of the following:

(1) an explosive weapon;

(2) a machine gun;

(3) a short-barrel firearm;

(4) a firearm silencer;

(5) knuckles;

(6) armor-piercing ammunition;

(7) a chemical dispensing device;

(8) a zip gun; or

(9) a tire deflation device.

The last one is kind of a funny afterthought there, but you get the idea.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 17, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Oh no no silencers i watched Assault on Precinct 13 once i know exactly how those work

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

No Irish Need Imply posted:

"For whatever it’s worth, Oliver seemed to stay calm with officers." hmm

Yeah that's why he's still alive

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All of that side, gently caress anyone who drives a vehicle drunk forever.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Could argue that they've tainted the jury pool by releasing it pretrial

I'm guessing though

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

sean10mm posted:

I sort of envy you if you're this innocent of how insane gun laws are in the South.

There are almost 90,000 silencers :actually: suppressors legally in circulation in Texas, for instance.

e: If you jump through the hoops to get the proper federal tax stamp, Texas EXPLICITLY DOES NOT GIVE A poo poo if you have any of the following:

(1) an explosive weapon;

(2) a machine gun;

(4) a firearm silencer;

(5) knuckles;

(8) a zip gun; or

lol the united states is a death cult

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spoeank posted:

I am never leaving California until I am priced out

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

No wonder football is so popular

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I found a pair of brass knuckles on a beach in SC when I was ~12. Finally got rid of them a couple of years ago. Probably helped someone dispose of a murder weapon or something.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Uh wow yeah you absolutely did

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

sharknado slashfic posted:

I found a pair of brass knuckles on a beach in SC when I was ~12. Finally got rid of them a couple of years ago. Probably helped someone dispose of a murder weapon or something.

to be fair what 12 year old wouldn't pocket a pair of beach brass knuckles

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Amy Pole Her posted:

That’s why we have body cameras. What specifically about releasing them on the internet before even a pre trial hearing is accomplished?

Probably to cut Shaun King and the like off before they tweet about the beer can being planted and then cops doing a brutality. (Yes, those things do happen, and I'm not justifying the illegal actions by pieces of poo poo, but bogus claims of abuse happen as well)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Could argue that they've tainted the jury pool by releasing it pretrial

I'm guessing though

Unsurprisingly, finding jurors who haven't seen even a widely distributed video won't be hard.

As for the contention (by someone else) that the license plate is somehow private information, it isn't. Things we publicly display can be photographed an put online.

Police are frequently the bad actors in these scenarios. When the rare instance comes along where they behaved within the law, within the scope of their jobs and professionally to boot? Yeah, they'll get that video on the streets asap.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
It's the offseason so things are way more lax in here, but try to keep it at least football adjacent. I know we have a lot of D&D posters in here from your rap sheets, so I'd rather not slide into that.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
football is good, except when it involves the bengals

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

a patagonian cavy posted:

football is good, except when it involves the bengals

or Monday Night Football on ESPN

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Athanatos posted:

or Monday Night Football on ESPN

ESPN’s drug-inspired 2002-like CGI are a wonderful gift to us all. :colbert:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

sean10mm posted:

(1) an explosive weapon;

(2) a machine gun;

(4) a firearm silencer;

(5) knuckles;

(8) a zip gun; or

Lmao love my death cult state

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Athanatos posted:

It's the offseason so things are way more lax in here, but try to keep it at least football adjacent. I know we have a lot of D&D posters in here from your rap sheets, so I'd rather not slide into that.

Washington drastically loving up the Trent Williams situation to the point that the Niners picked him up for a song popped into my head this morning and I laughed out loud at Dan Snyder

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sean10mm posted:

(1) an explosive weapon;

(2) a machine gun;

(4) a firearm silencer;

(5) knuckles;

(8) a zip gun; or

Whats funny is none of that will help when the army drone strikes your militia compound.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Doltos posted:

What the gently caress.

Many states lack any registration of any kind outside of the NFA/GCA stuff. I dont feel like looking it up but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close 2:1 ratio of states that don't require registration to those that do.

Edit: I'm not endorsing one side or the other of the issue btw

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/kcalderw/status/1262064553623457792

It's live now

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Montana just missed a wide open Rice.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

It's live now

:lol: 'Montana wanted to prove his elbow was good and he could throw a pass that didn't look like a helicopter landing.'

Madden was once good before he dumbed himself down way too much.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

:lol: 'Montana wanted to prove his elbow was good and he could throw a pass that didn't look like a helicopter landing.'

Madden was once good before he dumbed himself down way too much.

Well he also, you know, deteriorated right in front of our eyes

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Flikken posted:

Many states lack any registration of any kind outside of the NFA/GCA stuff. I dont feel like looking it up but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close 2:1 ratio of states that don't require registration to those that do.

Edit: I'm not endorsing one side or the other of the issue btw

Yeah there's significant hurdles to owning most of that stuff federally to begin with, saying it's "just a tax stamp" is one hell of a misnomer when that's the lowest barrier to entry in the process (which includes registration with the ATF and significant background checks).

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Take gun stuff to D&D or TFR please.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Athanatos posted:

Take gun stuff to D&D or TFR please.

Fair enough, it's a lovely discussion topic.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Marino's release was so loving ridiculous and it stuns me every time I see it again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Marino's release was so loving ridiculous and it stuns me every time I see it again.

Honestly Mahomes' looks a lot like it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Congrats to the Chargers, 10 year offseason champs in a row

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1261385719261650945

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mr Nice i need your criminal law Brain here pronto. I know that it won’t have much effect in the overall proceedings obviously but Ive got so many issues with the releasing of his private information like the license plate

I haven't done crim in forever, and that's in TX not Florida. They couldn't release that video in Florida until it met public record requirements.

I'm not certain your license plate in Texas is considered private information.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

"If you're gonna take a cheap shot at least make sure the guy goes down" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Doltos posted:

What the gently caress.

You think Texas is wild, check out Arizona—unrestricted carry.

There are retirement communities with groups of elderlies riding around in golf carts on patrol, and they’re armed. With no oversight.