Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I'm kinda excited for the 2021 Tiquan R. The hard R. Not the R Line bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Charles posted:

Volvo already was a luxury brand?

kinda but not really? compare the msrp of an 87 bmw 325i to an 87 240. the volvo was almost half of the bmw.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the move upmarket is going to be absolutely disastrous. there's a reason that nobody has survived in that segment, and it's even worse since the Germans are pushing downmarket.

A $25,000 Mazda 3 has an interior that’s almost as good as a $40,000 Audi A4. I’d say it’s not a disaster at all.

You’d be mad to buy a Q3 over a CX-30 if you care even the slightest bit about a good-handling car. And again, the Mazda’s $10-15k cheaper once you’ve specced them.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The “not luxury but slightly more upscale than a Toyota” segment is where Volkswagen plays and they’ve survived. And I don’t think anyone else has really tried. Mazda isn’t trying to compete with BMW or Mercedes. Their pricing is still in line with their competitors. They’re just differentiating by offering nicer interiors and better driving dynamics than most in the segment. They’ve got to do something to stand out and I don’t think going downmarket is the answer.

It's where Volkswagen used to survive and the continuous cheapening of its products (like shunting the U.S. Passat onto its own, cheaper platform rather than market the Euro variant here) is a tacit acknowledgement of that. Volvo used to play in that same field until other, cheaper vehicles matched its most marketable qualities and Subaru stole most of the clientele it marketed to. Little wonder why the current owners took Volvo further upmarket than its ever been.

Mazda's trying its best to play that game while throwing plenty of bones to the enthusiasts out there. But it's all for naught as long as people would rather slide their asses in cheap SUVs that don't handle but look vaguely good (Rogue), angle for the vehicle with the lowest monthly payment and/or the biggest incentives (Equinox) or go all-in on the Pacific Northwest/New Englander Lifestyle Machine (Outback/Forester/Ascent).

The Oldest Man posted:

It's pretty interesting that Volvo was able to pivot upmarket and Mazda fell on their faces. Possibly because a large crossover with massaging seats is a better flagship for that type of pivot than a small hatchback with zero rear vis.

Gotta wonder if the failure of Amati left Mazda a bit gunshy on creating and marketing flagship luxury vehicles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

kinda but not really? compare the msrp of an 87 bmw 325i to an 87 240. the volvo was almost half of the bmw.

Oh, I figured it was meant to be a more contemporary comparison.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Charles posted:

Oh, I figured it was meant to be a more contemporary comparison.

Volvo moved upmarket on the positive reputation they earned in the 70s and 80s. The XC90 was a timely product for them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dunno where you got 10% from - HALF of Mazda's volume is CX-5. That says a lot more about Mazda than CX-5. It doesn't mean CX-5 is a runaway success, it means every single other product Mazda sells is a low volume failure (except maybe the Miata because that isn't supposed to do numbers anyway).

62% of VW sales are Atlas and Tiguan. Nissan sold 142,000 more Rogues last year than its best-selling passenger car, the Altima. Everyone is selling more SUVs than passenger cars, because that’s what Americans want.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 16, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Most Americans want cheap wagons. Except the boomers who want a luxo wagon but for goodness sake not an actual station wagon like their parents drove! And anyone with money in other generations just wants the cache of a BMW or something because they don't care about cars as such but just want a fashion accessory.

But I'm preaching to the choir.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The problem with the CX-5 is that it's better than its peers at everything enthusiasts car about and not at anything that the CUV buying public cares about.
This whole conversation now has me shopping CX-5s. I wish the TD model here was as good as the euro, but it's hard to take that power hit. Ideally I'd like to find a lightly used turbo, well-optioned, then ...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Apparently you don't even need to lift it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Mazda diesels are garbage though, no reason to buy one in a country with cheap petrol.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

dissss posted:

The Mazda diesels are garbage though, no reason to buy one in a country with cheap petrol.
Fair. I hadn’t gotten far enough into research to find that when I found that the US version is weak as hell anyway, but good to know.

I think I mostly just liked the idea of having a very loud diesel small SUV, so not exactly an important criteria.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Diesel is dead in those sort of vehicles now - it can still make sense in larger, heavier vehicles but not little CUVs and cars.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Krakkles posted:

You really don't, the wheel gap on mine is silly.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There's a lot of good that comes out of Mazda seemingly trying to be the Japanese Volkswagen (nice premium-but-not-lux cars that drive well, but reliable), but chasing small vehicle diesels is not one of them.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

gah reply is not edit

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Krakkles posted:

I love this, and maintain that CUVs are only lame because people don't realize they're basically slow rally cars

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

AMC should have lived and Chrysler should have died.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

It's kinda weird an American car company sold a 3 door V8 RWD compact hatchback with a manual

and people thought it was uncool

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

It's kinda weird an American car company sold a 3 door V8 RWD compact hatchback with a manual

They were pretty crappy cars, overall. They were theoretically cool, but no one actually wanted to own one.

That was AMC's problem generally. Great ideas without the R&D budget to make it happen without cutting lots of corners. They couldn't sell enough cars to amortize their costs to make them competitive.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Krakkles posted:

What the gently caress?

My pants are suddenly tight.

Deteriorata posted:

They were pretty crappy cars, overall. They were theoretically cool, but no one actually wanted to own one.

That was AMC's problem generally. Great ideas without the R&D budget to make it happen without cutting lots of corners. They couldn't sell enough cars to amortize their costs to make them competitive.

I saw a mint Pacer in a nursing home staff parking lot the other day and couldn't believe my eyes. Looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I was stunned.

Like....how, or why? How did you preserve it? Oh you restored it? But, why?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

What the gently caress?

My pants are suddenly tight.

I saw a mint Pacer in a nursing home staff parking lot the other day and couldn't believe my eyes. Looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I was stunned.

Like....how, or why? How did you preserve it? Oh you restored it? But, why?

AMC cars always felt kind of clunky and dated, even when new. That's probably because they were. AMC was raiding the parts bin from cars of 10 or 20 years earlier and putting interesting skins on them. Sort of a reverse restomod - like putting a DeLorean body on a '63 Fairlane chassis.

All the cars in the 70s were pretty bland and crappy, but for a subcompact I'd take a Pinto over a Gremlin any day.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

AMC cars always felt kind of clunky and dated, even when new. That's probably because they were. AMC was raiding the parts bin from cars of 10 or 20 years earlier and putting interesting skins on them. Sort of a reverse restomod - like putting a DeLorean body on a '63 Fairlane chassis.

All the cars in the 70s were pretty bland and crappy, but for a subcompact I'd take a Pinto over a Gremlin any day.

I was born in 83 so they were definitely around but I don't think I've ever been in one.

Everything you said is my general impression of AMC.

I just couldn't believe I saw such a loving cherry example in the wild in 2020. It was spotless.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

The first generation of FWD Corolla/Celica/323/626 etc were considered absolutely massive improvements over the old RWD models.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Deteriorata posted:

I'm an AMC apologist since my first car was a 74 Hornet (aka a Gremlin without the cut-off rear end) and my second car was an 85 Eagle (aka a Hornet with 4WD) but a Pinto over a Gremlin? Why? The Pinto doesn't have the 258 straight 6 which is the daddy of THE Jeep 4.0.

That being said, the 'Gremlin' I'd like the most is this one:

even though it's technically an Eagle Kammback

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CornHolio posted:

AMC should have lived and Chrysler should have died.

I only learned of AMC long after they stopped being a thing, we just weren't exposed to them here and yeah, I'm 110% with you on this one. The cars were just so much more interesting and fun looking.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wheeee posted:

I love this, and maintain that CUVs are only lame because people don't realize they're basically slow rally cars

Not by a loooong shot, most of them poo poo themselves the moment a real gravel road appears. Unless you have a 1st or 2nd gen Forester .... which actually are rally cars and very fast ones in the GT or XT

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I'm an AMC apologist since my first car was a 74 Hornet (aka a Gremlin without the cut-off rear end) and my second car was an 85 Eagle (aka a Hornet with 4WD) but a Pinto over a Gremlin? Why? The Pinto doesn't have the 258 straight 6 which is the daddy of THE Jeep 4.0.

That being said, the 'Gremlin' I'd like the most is this one:

even though it's technically an Eagle Kammback

Yeah, that fits. AMC owners were always a bit... off. They marched to their own drummer, as it were. :v:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

AMC's legacy lives on by inspiring a generation of German stylists. The Germans think the Eagle was the pinnacle of design and have been trying to replicate it with the X6 and other SUV coupes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Hmm I don't know about that, I've never owned a Gremlin but I've owned a Pinto and it was loving horrible.

Now this is loving awesome and I'd take that over a Pinto all day long

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Hmm I don't know about that, I've never owned a Gremlin but I've owned a Pinto and it was loving horrible.

Now this is loving awesome and I'd take that over a Pinto all day long

AMC gets great marks for styling, but under the skin it's essentially a '65 Rambler American.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

AMC gets great marks for styling, but under the skin it's essentially a '65 Rambler American.

But most cars of that era were like that? Lots of the same basic body on frame underpinnings. Yeah the Pinto was unibody but it still drove like poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

drgitlin posted:

A $25,000 Mazda 3 has an interior that’s almost as good as a $40,000 Audi A4. I’d say it’s not a disaster at all.

You’d be mad to buy a Q3 over a CX-30 if you care even the slightest bit about a good-handling car. And again, the Mazda’s $10-15k cheaper once you’ve specced them.

show me the volumes, then

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But most cars of that era were like that? Lots of the same basic body on frame underpinnings. Yeah the Pinto was unibody but it still drove like poo poo.

Well, the problem is that Ramblers weren't particularly sophisticated or refined. Their main selling point was cheapness. The design was dated and frumpy when it was new. Ten years later in the Gremlin it was basically the same with few improvements. AMC didn't have the money for the iterative engineering the Big Three could do to keep a basic chassis current.

And that gets back to my original point was that the Gremlin was a great styling exercise and a terrific idea for a car that AMC just couldn't pull off properly due to lack of resources.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

show me the volumes, then
There are so many factors that go into sales volume (e.g. marketing, quality of dealer network) that have nothing to do with the intrinsic quality of a given car. If you don't think the quality is there, best to hang your argument on something other than sales volume...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

got off on a technicality posted:

There are so many factors that go into sales volume (e.g. marketing, quality of dealer network) that have nothing to do with the intrinsic quality of a given car. If you don't think the quality is there, best to hang your argument on something other than sales volume...

I agree the Mazda3 is great! It's just nobody is buying it which doesn't speak well to how compelling the product is TO YOUR AVERAGE CAR BUYER

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree the Mazda3 is great! It's just nobody is buying it which doesn't speak well to how compelling the product is TO YOUR AVERAGE CAR BUYER

The Toyota Yaris sedan has consistently outperformed the Mazda 2 it replaced in the US despite the subcompact market segment as a whole cratering over that time which seems to indicate that the average car buyer would buy more Mazdas if they were sold on Toyota lots with Toyota badges.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

On sub-compacts, I just want to say that the Versa Note is the most depressing car I've ever driven.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Minto Took posted:

On sub-compacts, I just want to say that the Versa Note is the most depressing car I've ever driven.

I wheezed a Versa through I70 snow showers w two friends and full luggage to Aspen like 10 years ago and it was simultaneously harrowing and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The point, which you seem pathologically incapable of accepting, is that no one outside of this dead gay comedy forum wants to buy cars instead of SUVs, and no one in this dead gay comedy forum buys new cars.