Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Amazingly, Subnautica does not make me motion sick. And I'm someone who has to mod out head bob from Stalker and can not play Quake 3 Arena anymore without getting debilitating nausea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fallom posted:

So you haven't actually tried it to see?

I hadn't, because it's fairly easy for me to get motion sick. Lately I've been trying to play Sea of Thieves but a two hour session is enough for me to feel nauseated the rest of the day.

I thought I had heard a lot of people complaining about Subnautica giving them motion sickness. I guess I should stop putting it off and give it a shot!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

I really want to play Subnautica and have had it installed forever, but I am almost certain it is going to make me motion sick as gently caress. I think I need to just take some anti-motionsickness pills and get through it.

I don’t have any problem playing it normally but something about their VR implementation makes it the only game that has me feeling like I’m gonna hurl on the Rift S. I think the controls are weird or something.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Oh wow, this game would've been a lot easier if I had fixed this radiation leak much earlier, along with getting the Prawn Suit, huh

I did think it was weird how I got a new diving suit a while ago to help my survival in dangerous habitats but would still leave me vulnerable rads.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I´ve been eyeing Vermintide for a while in my library and I´m wondering if the game still have a community or if I should just buy Vermintide 2 instead?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´ve been eyeing Vermintide for a while in my library and I´m wondering if the game still have a community or if I should just buy Vermintide 2 instead?
https://steamcharts.com/app/235540

Current players: 106. I think that's globally. I would not bother.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

explosivo posted:

Session or Skate XL; are either of these games worthy successors to Skate or worth playing in their current states?

So this is from literally a week ago but I'm just getting caught up on the thread and I missed the brief discussion of PC skateboards games. I have not tried Skater XL so I can't comment there but I have put a couple dozen hours into Session and I think its a fantastic skateboarding sim that does a lot to capture what it feels like to actually skateboard. Like Skate, there's no trick progression or unlocks, you can do every trick from minute one - if you can actually perform the inputs correctly. The focus is on creating, practicing and performing lines in a big, open sandbox skatepark that looks a lot like NYC. Its still early access and still has a lot of content that needs to be added but the controls are all essentially there (minus grabs which were still getting worked on last time I fired it up) and the controls are what make it feel like a sim more than an arcade style game. The controls are what will make or break the game for you, they can feel very intimidating at first. Basically, your left stick controls your left foot, the right stick controls your right foot and the input directions for the tricks will depend on you're stance, your direction of travel, and what kind of trick you want to do. For example - standard stance moving forward (ie facing right on the board) you would pull the right stick down and flick the left stick up to ollie. The sticks would be reversed for switch/goofy and the directions would be reversed for nollie/fakey. Inputs for grinds and slides will depend on your stance and whether you are trying to do frontside or backside. With the fully manual control setup, you have to use the triggers to catch the board with your feet during flip tricks. It can take a few hours to get a feel for it and quite a lot of practice to really get it down. BUT, you can customize the controls and simplify them quite a bit so you don't have to go full sim if you don't want to. What the game really does right, for me, is the way it feels like skateboarding in that you will see a spot and think "I bet I can set up over here, heelflip into a backside tailslide down this rail and 180 out to manual" and then you try it over and over until you nail it clean. In that way, it feels a lot like Skate and like actual skateboarding. Using the sim controls and pulling off a clean line feels amazing. And, of course, it has a video editor built in so you can make rad sizzle reals.

There are some downsides, mainly from the fact that its still EA. The map is pretty big and they just added a new area like a month or two ago, but it feels lifeless - like you're skating post-apocalypse. There isn't a whole lot of board and clothing cosmetics and so there really isn't any sense of in game progression, at least not as of the last time I played, which was a few months ago. I would really love to do more pretty skater doll dressup. Some of the mechanics aren't completely fleshed out, like grabs as I mentioned earlier but also the bails are pretty rough. A lot of the fun of Skate was the ragdoll bailing when you hosed up. With Session, you will bail a lot and it doesn't feel particularly great, especially considering that lightly bumping a curb will send you flying. The music is fine but kind of monotonous imo - I played with my own music but had to do it from outside of the game. It would be nice if there was a way to import a playlist and manage it from the game menu but eh, not a huge deal. Other than that, I have few complaints and I'm looking forward to how it shapes up moving forward. Highly recommend checking it out if a high skill ceiling, non-arcade skateboard game that does a good job at capturing the feeling of street skating appeals to you.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So, uh, fellow Troubleshooters... Is there any better strategy for dealing with John besides hitting him until he triggers his buff then running the gently caress away until it runs out? He was a real nasty surprise to come across.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sylphosaurus posted:

It's a pretty dead game. Vermintide 2 has much more active players, albeit dropped a lot, and is pretty good until you hit Legend really.

If it's just a 4p Co-op game you want, may I suggest Deep Rock Galactic instead? https://store.steampowered.com/app/548430/Deep_Rock_Galactic/ It just came out of early access a few days ago, has a big goon presence, and pubbies are pretty good overall!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Just saw a trailer for Desperados III on YouTube and it looks like a reskinned Shadow Tactics. Mimimi and THQ Nordic aren't the same company, right?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just saw a trailer for Desperados III on YouTube and it looks like a reskinned Shadow Tactics. Mimimi and THQ Nordic aren't the same company, right?
THQ Nordic is most likely just the publisher; Shadow Tactics was published by Daedalic but Desperados was a franchise and God knows who has the rights to it now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

Mimimi developed both of them, they just changed publishers. Also Shadow Tactics was basically a continuation of the kind of gameplay that you’d find in games like Desperados or Commandos in the early 2000’s.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah ST was very much an evolution of Commandos and Desperado so a new entry being a clone doesn't surprise me.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mimimi developed both of them, they just changed publishers. Also Shadow Tactics was basically a continuation of the kind of gameplay that you’d find in games like Desperados or Commandos in the early 2000’s.

Yeah, I know it's not a new style of game. But it looked exactly the same in terms of gameplay, design, and aesthetics. Literally just reskinned.

Makes a lot more sense if THQ is just publishing and it was the same dev.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Internet Explorer posted:

I hadn't, because it's fairly easy for me to get motion sick. Lately I've been trying to play Sea of Thieves but a two hour session is enough for me to feel nauseated the rest of the day.

I thought I had heard a lot of people complaining about Subnautica giving them motion sickness. I guess I should stop putting it off and give it a shot!

Have you tried taking some ginger candies or ginger pills?

I get motion sick pretty easily while gaming as well. I started using them just to try it out since we had a lot left over from when my wife was pregnant and had morning sickness. As long as I take it about 15-30 min in advance of a gaming session, it seemed to prevent (or greatly lessen) the nausea.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

I only recommend either game if you have a full team of 4 people to play with all the time who would get it with you, in 1's because it's dead and in 2's case because it's bad if you don't have a group. if you don't have a group to play with and just want a 4p fps coop game in general, look into deep rock galactic instead because it's a way better experience with a better pubby community

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Infinity Gaia posted:

So, uh, fellow Troubleshooters... Is there any better strategy for dealing with John besides hitting him until he triggers his buff then running the gently caress away until it runs out? He was a real nasty surprise to come across.

The white tiger group is basically going to force you to retreat and barely survive for a while. Always group up, use the cops as meatshields if you can, Shield cops are basically bait in Wall mode when you have them. Raise the block/evasion on Albus/Irene as much as possible to tank through.

Things didn't really settle down until I did a once-over of all the previous missions (yellow text means new) and Giselle joined.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Alright, thanks for the input regarding the Vermintide games. I might check Deep Rock Galactic a bit later once my budget allows for it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

The white tiger group is basically going to force you to retreat and barely survive for a while. Always group up, use the cops as meatshields if you can, Shield cops are basically bait in Wall mode when you have them. Raise the block/evasion on Albus/Irene as much as possible to tank through.

Things didn't really settle down until I did a once-over of all the previous missions (yellow text means new) and Giselle joined.

No, I mean, John isn't even White Tiger, he's the Spoonist guy who becomes literally immortal for 4 turns when his buff triggers and is also insanely powerful and capable of one shotting whoever he hits. I still won because I ran away until his buff ran out and then killed him with Sion (and then he revived again with second heart/third heart and killed sion and I had to finish him off with cops and Anne but details).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The other day my non steam games suddenly won't start. They're updated and everything. My drivers are up to date and I restarted my computer. I'm gonna see if creating a new blob helps but has this happened to anybody else?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

pentyne posted:

What about the glitch or whatever, something that made it impossible to get 100%?

Looking at my achievements I have all of them relating to finding and destroying stuff except the one for Scavenging Locations, so perhaps that one is broken? Should I have written "100% as best you can"?
Anyway, 53 hours in it according to Steam so that's not bad value.

However, I really enjoy games that let you cruise around the map at speed looking for stuff. Assassins Creed got tiring for me because map traversal was so slow. Dying Light had the grappling hook and you could Spiderman your way around at a decent rate of knots.

And for Subnautica, it was all about the Prawn grappling. Swinging from tunnel ceilings, boosting off little outcroppings. Whee!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

No, I mean, John isn't even White Tiger, he's the Spoonist guy who becomes literally immortal for 4 turns when his buff triggers and is also insanely powerful and capable of one shotting whoever he hits. I still won because I ran away until his buff ran out and then killed him with Sion (and then he revived again with second heart/third heart and killed sion and I had to finish him off with cops and Anne but details).

Yeah, I believe John is one of those characters who only show up on hard/cruel difficulty, I had him on a rescue mission, I think? Definitely the nastiest human opponent I've fought yet. He becomes immune to damage but not to debuffs, so try to bodyblock him with the SWAT/Shields and drop flashbangs on him, smoke cover on your guys too. It got messy, but thankfully he was the last thing I had to fight in the mission.

Tae posted:

White Tiger Gang becoming easier to fight after Giselle joins is an amazing Ludonarrative Consonance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh I think I mixed him up with someone else. The mid-boss names are so generic to me.

Anne should have a skill that imprisons an enemy, I dunno if that works on him.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Infinity Gaia posted:

John doesn’t have Veteran, so he’s vulnerable to stun (and also freeze and other debuffs). That’s my strategy to taking out any of the immortality buff enemies. Alternatively, you can also remove the immortality buff with masteries that remove buffs (like Graffiti or Witch’s Jealousy)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I only recommend either game if you have a full team of 4 people to play with all the time who would get it with you, in 1's because it's dead and in 2's case because it's bad if you don't have a group. if you don't have a group to play with and just want a 4p fps coop game in general, look into deep rock galactic instead because it's a way better experience with a better pubby community

Counterpoint: I have played hundreds of hours Vermintide 2 solo with Pubs and it's been fine and I've really enjoyed the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Vermintide 2 (and 1 honestly) has basically the chillest community of randos that you can find in any matchmade objective based game anywhere. Like the number of times I've had an rear end in a top hat complaining about someone's performance or mistakes is so low that each one stood out massively, because at worst people are just not communicative but many times people will be chill, call out for help and have fun.

Note that that goes away immediately upon playing the highest difficulty because of course it does, but the highest difficulty isn't particularly fun anyway.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

E D F
E D F

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also on Troubleshooter news man this mission where you have to go through warehouses loving sucks if you don't realize what's going to happen once you do find what you're looking for. I had my crew spread out looking for Mr.Lee and then everything very quickly went to poo poo. Second try I just kept everyone together and it went flawlessly. The more I play the more I realize splitting anyone off the main squad is a terrible idea, even Hero Irene.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Can't stop killing bees for pickups.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orv posted:

Vermintide 2 (and 1 honestly) has basically the chillest community of randos that you can find in any matchmade objective based game anywhere. Like the number of times I've had an rear end in a top hat complaining about someone's performance or mistakes is so low that each one stood out massively, because at worst people are just not communicative but many times people will be chill, call out for help and have fun.

Note that that goes away immediately upon playing the highest difficulty because of course it does, but the highest difficulty isn't particularly fun anyway.

Yeah, I haven't played either Vermintide in the last few years, but I remember the community being pretty chill as it tends to be in horde shooters in general. Also Vermintide 2 is one of those sequels that made the previous game very obsolete, all V1 has above 2 is some cool maps that haven't been ported over.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also on Troubleshooter news man this mission where you have to go through warehouses loving sucks if you don't realize what's going to happen once you do find what you're looking for. I had my crew spread out looking for Mr.Lee and then everything very quickly went to poo poo. Second try I just kept everyone together and it went flawlessly. The more I play the more I realize splitting anyone off the main squad is a terrible idea, even Hero Irene.

Yeah, I feel the only time it is worth splitting the party is if you are on a timer, but even then I divide the group in half at most and try to stay within range of a double move from the other party. Things can get nasty really fast with some enemy types.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't stop killing bees for pickups.

Well at least that's one mystery down in 2020.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

Do you bother exploring the whole floors?

I usually do. I suppose you don’t have to on the earlier levels but you want to check every level for a relic room and a shop (and maybe a shrine once you unlock that), which usually requires you to explore almost all of the level anyway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

Do you bother exploring the whole floors?

Yeah I try to find ever relic and hidden room (as reasonably possible assuming I have some spare bombs). There are pieces of walls that sparkle if an explosion goes off anywere in the room (you shoot a tnt barrel, you drop a bomb, you have a bomb-thrower throw a bomb, have a charging enemy run into a wall, etc). After while you can kinda guess where secret rooms are going to be, there's always 2 per level unless you have the Adventurers Hat relic in which case there are 3.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I haven't played either Vermintide in the last few years, but I remember the community being pretty chill as it tends to be in horde shooters in general. Also Vermintide 2 is one of those sequels that made the previous game very obsolete, all V1 has above 2 is some cool maps that haven't been ported over.

2's gameplay design is worse across the board and it's riddled with bugs and spawn bullshit that :fatshark: is too incompetent to fix for more than a patch at a time before their inability to use version control constantly undoes any fixes they make, assuming changes they announce actually make it into the game at all. it's one of the dumbest sequels I've ever played as far as fixing what wasn't broken for no reason while falling on its face, and it's incredible how much their focus strayed from making a fun game to making a tryhard game when they can't even consistently get hits to register after they already made the exact same game without these issues. there's still a good game lurking in there that occasionally dares to emerge, but it's a shadow of what it could be.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

2's gameplay design is worse across the board and it's riddled with bugs and spawn bullshit that :fatshark: is too incompetent to fix for more than a patch at a time before their inability to use version control constantly undoes any fixes they make, assuming changes they announce actually make it into the game at all. it's one of the dumbest sequels I've ever played as far as fixing what wasn't broken for no reason while falling on its face, and it's incredible how much their focus strayed from making a fun game to making a tryhard game when they can't even consistently get hits to register after they already made the exact same game without these issues. there's still a good game lurking in there that occasionally dares to emerge, but it's a shadow of what it could be.

Exactly the kind of thing I’d expect a rat sympathizer would say.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Spent ages unlocking and saving for Mastercrafted Armor in Xcom:CS and one agent's set randomly vanished after my first mission with it. I thought it was going to give another utility slot too, so either that's also bugged or the tooltip is poorly worded :(

Found a mod which is meant to fix this, so hopefully I get it back next session.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I thought the White Tiger was hard, but apparently 30+ drones with missiles are worse

I don't want to play hard mode anymore

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, it's astounding how much better the Far Cry 5 storyline is with New Dawn. It actually gives it a chance to breath and commit to what it's doing, without kicking the player in the gut at the "end", because New Dawn lets you actually finish saving the region.

It's also really funny to be black lady Jesus slaughtering hordes of weird cultists now that they've confirmed that plotline vis a vis New Dawn. Why yes, the reincarnation of Jesus Christ is a black woman wearing a shirt that says Testy Festy on it.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

Spent ages unlocking and saving for Mastercrafted Armor in Xcom:CS and one agent's set randomly vanished after my first mission with it. I thought it was going to give another utility slot too, so either that's also bugged or the tooltip is poorly worded :(

Found a mod which is meant to fix this, so hopefully I get it back next session.

It replaces the enhanced armor upgrade, which has the same +1 utility slot. So yeah, poorly worded but guessable... not that you should have to guess what benefits you get from an upgrade, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tae posted:

I thought the White Tiger was hard, but apparently 30+ drones with missiles are worse

I don't want to play hard mode anymore

Hey, at least that's a pretty great situation to do that sweeping attack Heixing has.

I've fought very few robots, are they weak to electricity per chance?