Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Yup, classic State Farm.

To be fair, it only costs about $50 to file an arbitration case and there's always a chance they get an arbitrator that views the claim in your favor. If this happened in a large intersection with multiple lanes if traffic it certainly helps your case too, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So out of curiosity, how do we get to this point? Have the two companies been talking and just unable to reach an agreement, or is this an automatic, "gently caress you, you rejected our subrogation package so arbitration it is!"

Because even with a cheap $50 filing fee, it seems to me that spending time to prepare a case and then argue it in arbitration is way more expensive than just coming to an agreement (though I appreciate the lengths they are going to instead of just giving up and telling me to go gently caress myself).

Or is this the other company being a douche and rolling the dice since they have more to lose (damage to other vehicle was relatively minor)?

And given the "facts" where he hit me at low speed, and assuming only the light status is in contention, what are my odds of "winning" arbitration?

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 6, 2020

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Do you know anything about Life Insurance ? Specifically Mortgage life insurance?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

riseofmydick posted:

Do you know anything about Life Insurance ? Specifically Mortgage life insurance?

Term life is what you want. Every day you pay for mortgage life insurance the payout value decreases assuming it literally just pays off the mortgage note.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

DaveSauce posted:

So out of curiosity, how do we get to this point? Have the two companies been talking and just unable to reach an agreement, or is this an automatic, "gently caress you, you rejected our subrogation package so arbitration it is!"

Because even with a cheap $50 filing fee, it seems to me that spending time to prepare a case and then argue it in arbitration is way more expensive than just coming to an agreement (though I appreciate the lengths they are going to instead of just giving up and telling me to go gently caress myself).

Or is this the other company being a douche and rolling the dice since they have more to lose (damage to other vehicle was relatively minor)?

And given the "facts" where he hit me at low speed, and assuming only the light status is in contention, what are my odds of "winning" arbitration?

Full disclosure: I work for one of State Farm's larger competitors, so I can't say for certain what their process is. I also rarely handle claims with Contributory negligence laws, since the only state in our region that has it is Alabama.

That said, odds are the other company issued a flat out denial of liability and sided with their insured. It may be because they assessed comparative negligence on you; it they may just say there's no conclusive proof their driver was at fault. Ultimately, it's their job to do what's in the best interest of their insured.

If the denial was for comp neg, there probably was some negotiation involved.

State Farm probably wouldn't waste time trying to negotiate if the latter was the case. I've only seen one of my claims go from flat denial to full acceptance a handful of times, and it's usually because I got video evidence of the accident after the other company finalized their liability. State Farm's subro team would evaluate the claim, determine if it makes financial sense to pursue arbitration, and file if it does. Or maybe they just file on everything. Like I said, they're one of the more litigious companies out there.

As for your odds, I really can't say. A lot of it depends on how good the investigation each party did was, how good the arbitration specials for the companies did to argue their case, and sometimes even the arbitrator's mood that day.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 6, 2020

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

H110Hawk posted:

Term life is what you want. Every day you pay for mortgage life insurance the payout value decreases assuming it literally just pays off the mortgage note.

Yeah but I read it may cover my mortgage in case I lose my job. I'm kind of worried I'm going to since I work in events and Coronavirus has everyone spooked.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The entire insurance industry could very well have to fold during this, in which case it's a waste of time.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The entire insurance industry could very well have to fold during this, in which case it's a waste of time.

Very reassuring.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

It’s likely your adjuster talked to their adjuster once, and since it’s contrib, the conversation was something along the lines of your adjuster asking them to take 100%, them saying no, then the call ending. Your adjuster kicks it over to a subro rep who owns the next steps which are either filing arb or just closing it and telling you that you’re SOL on your deductible.

The whole “case” thing isn’t that much work. All the major players use the same system for subrogation so they basically just attach the statements, pictures, etc. for the arbitrator to view. The points of impact are favorable to you so it’s worth the shot to file arb. Since it’s contrib your company is already not getting anything and the arbitrator can’t possibly make a decision that is worse for your company.

Arbitration is usually reasonably quick so you might hear back by end of month.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Infidel Castro posted:

Full disclosure: I work for one of State Farm's larger competitors, so I can't say for certain what their process is. I also rarely handle claims with Contributory negligence laws, since the only state in our region that has it is Alabama.

That said, odds are the other company issued a flat out denial of liability and sided with their insured. It may be because they assessed comparative negligence on you; it they may just say there's no conclusive proof their driver was at fault. Ultimately, it's their job to do what's in the best interest of their insured.

If the denial was for comp neg, there probably was some negotiation involved.

State Farm probably wouldn't waste time trying to negotiate if the latter was the case. I've only seen one of my claims go from flat denial to full acceptance a handful of times, and it's usually because I got video evidence of the accident after the other company finalized their liability. State Farm's subro team would evaluate the claim, determine if it makes financial sense to pursue arbitration, and file if it does. Or maybe they just file on everything. Like I said, they're one of the more litigious companies out there.

As for your odds, I really can't say. A lot of it depends on how good the investigation each party did was, how good the arbitration specials for the companies did to argue their case, and sometimes even the arbitrator's mood that day.

I’m also convinced that arb decisions are based on tea leaves

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m also convinced that arb decisions are based on tea leaves

And those tea leaves can sometimes read based on how much they've had to rule against their paying clients (aka the people in the room.) If Party A has been ruled against too much lately they might not use you as an arbitrator in the future, so an ambiguous case gets tossed to them to help balance the scales. There's a reason there is a huge problem with individuals waiving their right to suit. Corporations (Insurance A and Insurance B fighting) I don't care at all about, but the scales are in no way balanced for the individual walking into that room.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

And those tea leaves can sometimes read based on how much they've had to rule against their paying clients (aka the people in the room.) If Party A has been ruled against too much lately they might not use you as an arbitrator in the future, so an ambiguous case gets tossed to them to help balance the scales. There's a reason there is a huge problem with individuals waiving their right to suit. Corporations (Insurance A and Insurance B fighting) I don't care at all about, but the scales are in no way balanced for the individual walking into that room.

Auto arbs don’t work like this, you (a claims employee) literally get a bunch of claims from other carriers and you review them

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Auto arbs don’t work like this, you (a claims employee) literally get a bunch of claims from other carriers and you review them

Ah fair enough.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
awesome, thanks for the replies even if it doesn't really help determining the future. It's always interesting to learn the process (or lack thereof) that goes on behind the scenes.

Separate topic, what should I look for in umbrella insurance? I've read that this is a pretty useful product, in that it's pretty cheap to get and if you need it then it's worth every penny. Are there different kinds of umbrella insurance where I need to customize something specifically for me? Or is it pretty generic for 95% of people?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Not an ask but I figure this is a good thread for it - I'm curious to see policy changes / endorsement options that come out of this Coronavirus. Especially related to business income. (And not just ISO's quick response, in the moment endorsements.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I doubt anyone has a coronavirus endorsement ready to go since it would need departmental approval.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

So this may not apply to many people here, but some states have issued mandates stating that auto insurance companies can't deny for using personal autos for food delivery service while the coronovirus poo poo is going on if there isn't other available coverage.

The ones I know are:

Colorado: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KGtDaXjViNN2DwT2gnydbHQObXs7XoZM/view

Wisconsin: https://oci.wi.gov/Pages/PressReleases/20200323RestaurantsCOVID-19.aspx

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Infidel Castro posted:

So this may not apply to many people here, but some states have issued mandates stating that auto insurance companies can't deny for using personal autos for food delivery service while the coronovirus poo poo is going on if there isn't other available coverage.

The ones I know are:

Colorado: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KGtDaXjViNN2DwT2gnydbHQObXs7XoZM/view

Wisconsin: https://oci.wi.gov/Pages/PressReleases/20200323RestaurantsCOVID-19.aspx

CT is going to be joining this imminently https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2020/03/30/562736.htm

WI is unique in that personal auto and/or the employer's commercial GL can be tapped to add HNOA.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Technically speaking it should be the employer's auto or GL (if no auto policy) that responds in the case of restaurants having employees do delivery.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dango Bango posted:

Technically speaking it should be the employer's auto or GL (if no auto policy) that responds in the case of restaurants having employees do delivery.

bro that is not disruptive at all this is a gig economy my man

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bro that is not disruptive at all this is a gig economy my man

I was going to mention gig economy, but I didn't want to open that :can:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The TNC companies are insane, it’s the Wild West out there

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Dango Bango posted:

If it's a liability issue yes the restaurants insurance should cover damage and injuries caused by one of their drivers but damage to the drivers own vehicle is not normally covered by the restaurants coverage, that's what I think they're trying to remedy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Where would I go to get insurance for my furniture during a move, that will cover specified items based on their value (not weight)?

Assume movers don’t have this option and it’s not covered in normal homeowners / renters policies as an addon.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where would I go to get insurance for my furniture during a move, that will cover specified items based on their value (not weight)?

Assume movers don’t have this option and it’s not covered in normal homeowners / renters policies as an addon.

It wouldn't generally be part of your normal homeowners/renters but frequently it can be added (or purchased from another carrier if not) - you're looking for a personal inland marine (or scheduled personal property depending on how your carrier does things) endorsement or possibly even a personal articles floater if you've got a lot of high-value materials that are typically limited on the policy (eg furs, jewelry, firearms).

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have an old HSA from several jobs ago with a few hundred dollars in it. Is there any way to transfer that money to my current HSA without paying a penalty?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Yes, rollovers don't count toward the annual cap.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The HSA itself might charge you though, my company switched HSA providers a few years back and everyone lost like $50 or something ridiculous to rollover to the new provider.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Speaking of HSAs, I have an HSA I was contributing to when I was a contractor and had a HDHP. Now I'm employed and I have a PPO. So I can't contribute to this HSA any more?

Before you ask, yes, I emailed both my insurance company and my HR dept with this question, and just haven't gotten a response yet.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Speaking of HSAs, I have an HSA I was contributing to when I was a contractor and had a HDHP. Now I'm employed and I have a PPO. So I can't contribute to this HSA any more?

Before you ask, yes, I emailed both my insurance company and my HR dept with this question, and just haven't gotten a response yet.
Correct.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

drat. Just curious, what if I did? Could I get audited and fined by the IRS?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

drat. Just curious, what if I did? Could I get audited and fined by the IRS?
Correct.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
This is a weird question.

I'm moving from Australia to the United States at the end of the year. Got a job lined up and everything.

I have two life insurance policies.

#1. This is a life insurance payout of AUD 500,000 contained within my superannuation (the equivalent of 401k). It's extraordinarily cheap.

It also pays me 75% of my salary for up to two years in the event of permanent and total disability.

#2. Is an external policy that pays AUD 900,000 in life insurance.

It also pays me 75% of my salary up to 65 years of age with a two-year waiting period (covering the limit of my superannuation policy)

----------------

My question: what do I do about these life insurance policies when I leave?

I can obviously get life insurance in the United States, no problem.

But I can also keep my policies in Australia (I've checked with the providers and I am able to keep them.)

Here's what I'm thinking:

#1. Keep both policies until I'm able to secure a new life insurance / TPD in the USA.
#2. At that time, cancel my *external* life insurance policy, but keep the policy within my superannuation (as it's extraordinarily cheap and I might as well just have it as a bonus)

That way, my main insurance is covered in the States.

Might seem convoluted, sorry, but just trying to get my thoughts out.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

This is a weird question.

I'm moving from Australia to the United States at the end of the year. Got a job lined up and everything.

I have two life insurance policies.

#1. This is a life insurance payout of AUD 500,000 contained within my superannuation (the equivalent of 401k). It's extraordinarily cheap.

It also pays me 75% of my salary for up to two years in the event of permanent and total disability.

#2. Is an external policy that pays AUD 900,000 in life insurance.

It also pays me 75% of my salary up to 65 years of age with a two-year waiting period (covering the limit of my superannuation policy)

----------------

My question: what do I do about these life insurance policies when I leave?

I can obviously get life insurance in the United States, no problem.

But I can also keep my policies in Australia (I've checked with the providers and I am able to keep them.)

Here's what I'm thinking:

#1. Keep both policies until I'm able to secure a new life insurance / TPD in the USA.
#2. At that time, cancel my *external* life insurance policy, but keep the policy within my superannuation (as it's extraordinarily cheap and I might as well just have it as a bonus)

That way, my main insurance is covered in the States.

Might seem convoluted, sorry, but just trying to get my thoughts out.

I would talk to a local broker once you get here and price things out. It might be cheaper to just keep paying for you AUS policies assuming they don't care where you die. I would get it in writing that they will cover you since you have moved permanently to the USA. Are both of the AUS policies "term" - like at 65 they evaporate? If so - good. Here in the USA the only thing you want is "term", tell anyone who suggests "universal" or "whole" or whatever to gently caress right off, but say it with a thick australian slur.

If you smoke (anything), use tobacco in any form, or are above the BMI guidelines expect to pay a lot. If you have any medical conditions (heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, etc) it can also be comically expensive. Either way, don't cancel the old until you've secured the new.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

I would talk to a local broker once you get here and price things out. It might be cheaper to just keep paying for you AUS policies assuming they don't care where you die. I would get it in writing that they will cover you since you have moved permanently to the USA. Are both of the AUS policies "term" - like at 65 they evaporate? If so - good. Here in the USA the only thing you want is "term", tell anyone who suggests "universal" or "whole" or whatever to gently caress right off, but say it with a thick australian slur.

If you smoke (anything), use tobacco in any form, or are above the BMI guidelines expect to pay a lot. If you have any medical conditions (heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, etc) it can also be comically expensive. Either way, don't cancel the old until you've secured the new.

Yeah cool. I do have sleep apnea, (I'm on CPAP) and yeah, a bit overweight but not super morbidly obese.

Blood pressure etc are good though.

I'll definitely get something in writing, thank you for that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Yeah cool. I do have sleep apnea, (I'm on CPAP) and yeah, a bit overweight but not super morbidly obese.

Blood pressure etc are good though.

I'll definitely get something in writing, thank you for that.

Talk to a broker if you're close to the underwriting guidelines for BMI. At 225/6'4" I was VERY close. You will want to show that your medical conditions are well managed. I would suggest not drinking alcohol, sugar (soda, candy, etc), or eating loads of junky food for a month then shopping around. Should help your blood chemistry come back clean. You only have to get past the nurse, then you can go back to your slovenly ways if you want. A local independent broker should have a sense for what the guidelines are at various companies.

Force everyone to quote you annual single payment costs. Sometimes they will show you monthly, quarterly, annual, but anything but annual has a comically high hidden fee built into it. Think $600/year, $175/quarter ($700), $75/month ($900). Those are exaggerated examples but they will not tell you the surcharge for paying monthly, just the amount paid.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Thank you for the advice :)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Keep in mind that those foreign life insurance policies will be a nightmare if you have a contested estate when you die. If your heirs aren't close family on good terms with each other, you absolutely need a will written by a professional, preferably a lawyer familiar with both US and Australian probate law.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Keep in mind that those foreign life insurance policies will be a nightmare if you have a contested estate when you die. If your heirs aren't close family on good terms with each other, you absolutely need a will written by a professional, preferably a lawyer familiar with both US and Australian probate law.

Yeah I've got an Australian will, and I'm going to have an American will drawn up so I'll just have two - one for each jurisdiction.

Edit:

Sorry for another question.

Between:

- Life
- Disability
- Auto Insurance
- Renter's Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance

My spending on insurance will come to about 10% of my after tax (post retirement contribution) income.

Does that seem high?

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's probably more useful to express in dollar terms because most of those aren't really correlated with your income.