Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hirayuki posted:

Man, as it is, it only took a few people ringing in to talk to Sam for me to start responding with "What is it this time?" "Oh, for gently caress's sake." And I'm a passive viewer! I can't imagine how it would grind on the player. Or on Sam, my God.

Yeah, that got me too.

"Sam, this is Die Hardman. Forward locomotion can be achieved by placing one foot in front of the other and pushing off against the surface of the earth. But do it in the right order, otherwise you'll end up walking backwards."

"Sam, this is MAMA. Here's what it means to drop off a package at a post station"
"Sam, this is Die Hardman. To build off of what MAMA just said, this is what it means to not drop off a package at a post station"

So, question, is Sam's personal room in the same building as Dr. Del Toro? I seem to recall that the first room he wakes up in is completely staffed by holograms, and I was wondering how the DR delivered both BB and his bloody boots if he's a 'gram. Is Hardman really there too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

So, question, is Sam's personal room in the same building as Dr. Del Toro? I seem to recall that the first room he wakes up in is completely staffed by holograms, and I was wondering how the DR delivered both BB and his bloody boots if he's a 'gram. Is Hardman really there too?

I think they were in the building across the way, but in the same complex, the one where Sam has to walk over to visit his mom. Everyone's gotta be doing a lot of shuffling back and forth. So: given how meaningful™ the names are in Death Stranding, how long is it before we find out Amelie has a secret kid, making Mr. Porter Bridges "Uncle Sam?"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

Man, as it is, it only took a few people ringing in to talk to Sam for me to start responding with "What is it this time?" "Oh, for gently caress's sake." And I'm a passive viewer! I can't imagine how it would grind on the player. Or on Sam, my God.

Is it any wonder Sam doesn't want anything to do with these people? He's not cynical about the whole reconnection project, he just doesn't want to get a call every five minutes telling him that when you're thirsty it's your body giving you a sign that you should drink some water. Or Monster Energy.

Not having seen anything about this game before watching this LP - and god knows no one's been able to describe it - the gameplay looks pretty engaging to me to the point that I'm kind of frustrated by the sheer amount of cutscenes to wade through to get to it. It's not even that I'm not enjoying the story, just that I'd want to be getting out there and hauling goods. Being someone who likes Euro Truck Simulator, or space games about piloting a ship to haul cargo through the galaxy, doing the same idea with navigating terrain on foot appeals to me really well, especially with the extra online components. I'd love a game that's focused on that, without it being (so far) less than half of the actual time spent in the game.

Does the game open up more later? A lot of the mechanics seem to be built around having a lot of freedom over where you go and when, especially with all the online partial-delivery bits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's opened up more already. Like I said we're still technically in tutorial land but this is when they start to ease off on the cutscenes and handholding for a very very long time. To the tune of maybe 10 episodes before we're going to get another consecutive hour of them like this. Game's very slow paced but we're not going to be just planting climbing anchors and ladders for the rest of it, we'll get more kit to work with soon (and by soon I mean about 30 seconds after I cut the previous video).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 17, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Well, as I mentioned near the end of the video, you can deliver lost cargo to any waystation (postboxes included) if you don't feel like carrying it all the way there. Your relationship stars won't improve, though, so it's always worth taking them the whole nine yards if you're gonna bother picking them up. Most of the time lost cargo is generally nearby the intended destination, sometimes it's like halfway across the game world in which case you will get tons of Likes for returning it. If you don't have room for it on your current wiggly box stack, you can store the lost cargo in the locker at a waystation and make a pit stop for it next time you're in the area.

Fair enough. I guess maybe you re-traverse areas quite a lot then?

Probably haven't got a good sense of the gameplay yet given all of the cutscenes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not unless you want to. If we wanted to only do the plot missions we'd hardly ever have to retrace our steps or visit the same waystation twice. There are only a handful of plot deliveries that force you to go back to somewhere you've already been. But where's the fun in that eh?

Edit: and in that way the game is quite accessible to people who don't like backtracking and other repetitive tasks they may consider tedium. There's a sense of momentum and moving forward to it that the game is going to maintain from start to finish which I think is pretty neat. But it's more fun to make an ant trail delivering packages all over the place and stopping at all of the optional locations we will find along the way in my opinion.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 17, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They‘ve basically explained the literal plot direction. Head west, stopping at specific locations on the way. Every other delivery becomes a side quest at that point if you’re only interested in progressing the main plot.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

You'd think Sam would passive-aggressively assign them each a song ringtone based on his contempt.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I hope there's a codec or cutscene that gives an in-universe explanation as to why Monster energy drinks are still around in the post-apocalypse. Do they have the resilience of Twinkies? Are they, like, highly valued commodities with nostalgia value for those who remember capitalist society?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
They can only make so much money from MGS pachinko licensing; they needed a sponsor to make up the difference so they could finish the game.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

theenglishman posted:

I hope there's a codec or cutscene that gives an in-universe explanation as to why Monster energy drinks are still around in the post-apocalypse. Do they have the resilience of Twinkies? Are they, like, highly valued commodities with nostalgia value for those who remember capitalist society?

There's a game mechanic that I can't recall if it's been covered that explains HOW it's so widely available, but I've only watched a stream of Death Stranding, so I'm not sure if the WHY is covered (or why they have cans of it, since the game mechanic doesn't allow for canning).

I think it's just corporate sponsorship a la Waynes World unless there's a gameplay explanation for it that I'm not aware of. I'm interested to find out.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

theenglishman posted:

I want to say something snarky about the materials capturing in the shower and toilet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't mention it out loud, but if you read the description of our canteen when I drank from it in episode 2 it says that it has the ability to synthesize timefall into Monster using 'energy particles' ... Somehow. And indeed, standing around in the rain while our canteen isn't full will slowly refill it. We'll talk more about Monster and its place in the game later on in the LP when we get our first look at a certain other bit of product placement.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I see we are starting to gradually go into actual gameplay and I definitely understand the popularity of the game; it's a very simple gameplay flow but looks like you can get some complexity into it as terrain and such change, and there's a lot of room for doing things different ways that must be fun to explore. Though like a lot of the Kojima stuff I've seen/tried, the actual cutscenes/plot is confusing enough I would probably wind up tuning it out, skip back to the gameplay ASAP and just smile and wave at it in passing whenever it came back up in the game. I am amused that (assuming I grasp those little flashback scenes right) even BB shares the Kojima trait of having some sort of dark secret backstory like every other person in the game (do any of his characters ever grasp sane social relationships or emotional honesty?), probably an important one if they're using Mads Mikkelson on it.

CJacobs posted:

I didn't mention it out loud, but if you read the description of our canteen when I drank from it in episode 2 it says that it has the ability to synthesize timefall into Monster using 'energy particles' ... Somehow. And indeed, standing around in the rain while our canteen isn't full will slowly refill it. We'll talk more about Monster and its place in the game later on in the LP when we get our first look at a certain other bit of product placement.

Caffeine is made from timefall? I suppose exposure to high amounts like the level Sam must be getting from pounding that much Monster would be enough to make a human vibrate through spacetime, so I guess that actually tracks. His kidneys no doubt age decades in seconds as well.

Bootcha posted:

You'd think Sam would passive-aggressively assign them each a song ringtone based on his contempt.

Obviously Die-Hardman's tone would be "Yipee Ki Yay, Motherfucker", except Sam cuts off the first bit to express his actual thoughts on his calls.

Lord_Magmar posted:

They've basically explained the literal plot direction. Head west, stopping at specific locations on the way. Every other delivery becomes a side quest at that point if you're only interested in progressing the main plot.

So if you want to put off more of the cutscenes and confusion for more of the fun stuff, do the side missions; good design, that.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I actually love how bizzare the Monster product placement is, it's so good.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
it kind of feels like kojima came up with the decent sci-fi concept of a canteen that automatically processes any water it's exposed to into drinkable water but then whoever owns monster energy slipped him a 20.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Kojima doesn't need to be bribed. If he likes a thing, he makes sure that everyone knows it. In exhaustive detail.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Everybody complaining about psychic powers and nanomachines when the real Kojima controversy was Monster Energy™ created from liquid timedrops

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Has the product placement in Death Stranding gone too far???" asks the games journalist, munching on a calorie mate while wearing his axe body spray shirt and reaching for another bag of doritos. He turns up the volume on his ipod and ignores the idea that his job has been rendered irrelevant by the age of internet streaming video.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In MGS4 Snake uses an iPod because the development team wanted to make one for the game.

I doubt Kojima drinks Monster energy though, he seems very fit and apparently exercises a lot.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What does Monster Energy taste like?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I actually love how bizzare the Monster product placement is, it's so good.

Nevermind

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 20, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You aren't going crazy, but it's not because they strip out the product placement. We'll get there.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oh, thanks, I'll edit that out if it's plot related (how the hell is that plot related?). I thought it was some kind of publicity deal that changed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mraagvpeine posted:

Liquid garbage in a can.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh, thanks, I'll edit that out if it's plot related (how the hell is that plot related?). I thought it was some kind of publicity deal that changed.

Nah, it's not plot related, just a fun little thing we won't see for... *checks table of contents * uh, you don't wanna know how many episodes

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Nah, it's not plot related, just a fun little thing we won't see for... *checks table of contents * uh, you don't wanna know how many episodes

Why do I get the feeling this LP will still be going on in 2030

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's alright, we'll just leave it out in the timefall and film it from somewhere safe and it'll be done.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Anfauglir posted:

Why do I get the feeling this LP will still be going on in 2030

When he said that Tomorrow was in your hands he didn't mention exactly how many Tomorrows were in your hands.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tomorrow is in your hands, because I will die before the lp is over and you will have to finish it yourselves. This is how I am connecting us, tying the knot that forms the strands which bond us to one another. Or something like that. I'll be waiting for you on the beach.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This request is a binding contract somehow because I'm now the LP president. No there wasn't an election shut up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know how sometimes vitamins taste kind of dusty and kind of funky? Imagine infusing that into Mountain Dew syrup and you're pretty close

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Mraagvpeine posted:

The original like Sam is chugging is pretty disappointing. It's been a while since I've had one, and every time I try one just to remind myself what they are, all I can remember later is that I was disappointed. The Ultra White is...pretty forgettable. I know I've had it, but I can't tell you anything about it other than "sweet". I like the Ultra Paradise in the green can, has a good pineapple taste to it, and the Ultra Sunrise is just orange soda. I usually just stick to Paradise and Sunrise as I like them, and they're the easy to find.

I try to limit my energy drinks to one every 2 or 3 days or more, but I should completely cut them out. But I cut out soda, and I can pretend these are actually not as bad for me (even though they're loving terrible, I've just traded cancer for obesity as my cause of death), and I like having SOMETHING sweet to drink.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I really like Monster, more than I should. And their Monster Mule and the punch flavors. But what I would never, EVER do is chug three cans in a row. My heart would explode. Three cans in an entire day is a bad idea. (I mean, any cans of it is a bad idea. But, in moderation, manageable. Three cans is not moderation.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sam, of course, cannot experience death, but by slamming three cans of Monster in the morning he can kind of get the gist of it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Wa11y posted:

and I like having SOMETHING sweet to drink.

Citrus-flavoured carbonated water sweetened with stevia extract! Tasty and fizzy and sweet and the only remotely impactful thing in it is a tiny bit of potassium.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

biosterous posted:

Citrus-flavoured carbonated water sweetened with stevia extract! Tasty and fizzy and sweet and the only remotely impactful thing in it is a tiny bit of potassium.

If you're talking about any of those seltzer drinks like Bubly or whatever, no. No way. Uh-uh. Those are terrible. And I don't like the taste of Stevia on its own, either.

I'm just working my way to having a monogamous relationship with water.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Deep down I believe that Norman Reedus only agreed to appear in this game if it included his two loves of showering and slamming Monster energy drinks, forcing Kojima to create a world incorporating them as fundamental gameplay mechanics.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Wa11y posted:

If you're talking about any of those seltzer drinks like Bubly or whatever, no. No way. Uh-uh. Those are terrible. And I don't like the taste of Stevia on its own, either.

I'm just working my way to having a monogamous relationship with water.

Nah, not those, those suck, I mean this

It has actual flavour instead of "we waved some fruit around nearby it before sealing it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All energy drinks have a unique and impossible to place flavour to me, I can never figure out what it is.

But from now on I'm going to assume it's just what timefall tastes like because I am pretty sure that's how they make the things IRL too.