Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Schadenboner posted:

You might be limited to 3 Engiseers?

Oh good catch! Not might, are. Free up 20pts and take a Daedalosus.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Duderclese posted:

Hey all; I'm getting back into the hobby after about seven years off. I'm looking to be semi-competitive in the ITC format as apparently some of the top players in the world live in my area(Tampa, FL). I've come up with this not-particularly-original list as a starting point and I was hoping some more experienced players could tell me how and why it is absolute poo poo and what to improve. For the record I've played this list once so far against a lifetime Ork player, and my best friend, and tabled him turn 4 for a 40-18 victory.

Again, any feedback is much appreciated. Can't wait to start painting my plastic GundamsJaegers Knights!

It's a fairly generic list. You're cheating by taking 4 enginseers, and are leaning heavily on the three krastsaders. It'll struggle against anything that can handle knights.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
You got one engineseer too many (max 3 non-troops with the same card at 2000pts), and only one of your knights got a relic.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

PierreTheMime posted:

Oh good catch! Not might, are. Free up 20pts and take a Daedalosus.

Awesome thanks! Battlescribe didn't throw up any flags so I hadn't even realized. drat me for not double-checking codices. Just so many rules to get acquainted with at once.

Booley posted:

It's a fairly generic list. You're cheating by taking 4 enginseers, and are leaning heavily on the three krastsaders. It'll struggle against anything that can handle knights.

Great points. What would you suggest I do to cover that weakness? Lose 1 crusader for more armigers?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

You got one engineseer too many (max 3 non-troops with the same card at 2000pts), and only one of your knights got a relic.

Argh yeah. Should have triple-checked the list before posting, sorry. What would you suggest for a takes-all-comers relic choice?

VVVVVVV

Booley posted:

The rule you ran into isn't from the admech book, it's a generic rule that you can't take more than 3 of any non-troop or dedicated transport datasheet.

Is there a reason you're leaning hard into knights if your aim is to be competitive? (are you trying to be competitive with knights, or are you trying to be competitive and happened to pick knights).

Oh, huh. I simply must have missed it then. I'll go over the rule book again to avoid missing any future errors like this.

I want to be competitive with knights. Back in the day I played carnifex spam, ogres in fantasy, wraiths in Eldar. I just have a preference for larger, tougher, more expensive units. I almost went with custodes but a local buddy of mine plays them. I happened to get a good deal on 3x crusaders and 3x moiraxes. Went witha helverin for this list because it's 2 points closer to 2k and I have brain worms, but I think the moiraxes is better.

Duderclese fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 18, 2020

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Duderclese posted:

Awesome thanks! Battlescribe didn't throw up any flags so I hadn't even realized. drat me for not double-checking codices. Just so many rules to get acquainted with at once.

Great points. What would you suggest I do to cover that weakness? Lose 1 crusader for more armigers?

Argh yeah. Should have triple-checked the list before posting, sorry. What would you suggest for a takes-all-comers relic choice?

The rule you ran into isn't from the admech book, it's a generic rule that you can't take more than 3 of any non-troop or dedicated transport datasheet.

Is there a reason you're leaning hard into knights if your aim is to be competitive? (are you trying to be competitive with knights, or are you trying to be competitive and happened to pick knights).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah as Booley is implying, Knights aren’t as competitive as they used to be (though they can be very good, some lists are just strong counters). If you’re liking the idea of AdMech/Knights, Engine War isn’t far away and they may make a more robust AM detachment a bigger draw.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Duderclese posted:

Fortunately, you don't HAVE to use the relic stratagem, nor any of the other pre-game stratagems, every game. It's something you can buy before the game starts, after you know what you're playing against. Armour of the Sainted Ion can be good if your opponent is packing lots of low AP, while Sanctuary is decent if the enemy has a lot of melee.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Duderclese posted:

I want to be competitive with knights. Back in the day I played carnifex spam, ogres in fantasy, wraiths in Eldar. I just have a preference for larger, tougher, more expensive units. I almost went with custodes but a local buddy of mine plays them. I happened to get a good deal on 3x crusaders and 3x moiraxes. Went with a helverin for this list because it's 2 points closer to 2k and I have brain worms, but I think the moiraxes is better.

So as noted by others, Psychic Awakening: Engine War is on the horizon, so Knights may well get a huge boost the way Harlequins and Grey Knights did, or they may get jack poo poo the way the Dark Eldar did. Or maybe just get a moderate boost the way Guard did. So everything we say is conditional for the moment.

That said, Knights tend to be a win big/lose big army. If your opponent is able to cull your most dangerous Knights in the first couple of turns, you lose hard. If they can't and you're able to take out whatever units they have that actually threaten the big boys, you win going away.

Except that ITC gives a lot of points for board control, and Knights are terrible at that because they have so few units. Luckily, you've souped in some AdMech. Unluckily, you've then put Transuranic Arquebuses on all your Rangers, which means you're either standing still and firing the big guns and not grabbing objectives, or you're moving around and wasting the points you spent on them. I'd recommend dumping some of the Arquebuses so that you can dedicate some of the Ranger squads to objective claiming.

Normally, I prefer Stormspears on my Knights, but massed Ironstorms to hunt down infantry hiding out of LOS on an objective might well work for you. (I soup Guard instead of AdMech so I can use artillery for the same purpose, letting me put Stormspears for more anti-tank on my Knights proper.)

Overall, even by making some of your Rangers mobile, you're still relying on some pretty easy to kill infantry to hold objectives for you, which means you need to play this list aggressively to blow the enemy off their objectives and hunt down their anti-tank weapons as quick as possible.

Normally I complain that the lists posted here don't have enough anti-tank, but with three Thermal Cannons? You might have enough anti-tank.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Maybe Knights plus Rusty 17 (with Arquebuses) plus Loyal 32 (to advance)? You wouldn't run out of cheap AdMech HQs then?

:shrug:

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Having fun coming up with extremely stupid World Eaters lists comprised of as many berserkers as possible, with some chaos lords and exalted champions thrown in. I'd love to try it someday and see if 50% of it even makes it into combat

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Strelok604 posted:

Having fun coming up with extremely stupid World Eaters lists comprised of as many berserkers as possible, with some chaos lords and exalted champions thrown in. I'd love to try it someday and see if 50% of it even makes it into combat

A guy I play against frequently runs a WE berserker list (specifically if I let him know I'm playing space wolves) and it is a very bloody and fun time.

50% into combat is a lot!

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Put it on a Primaris body

This was last page but as long as the scale kinda works, yeah I think that's the ticket

The intercessor "reloading" pose/arms would be sick

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
these fellas are time consuming to paint given low value and impact they are, but I finished off some Gargoyles!

I am actually making good progress on my backlog, I am now clear through my nids.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

ro5s posted:

This is cool, is that a forgeword marine?

Yeah he's something specific for 30k, I just like using him as a fancy banner

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting this weekends efforts:

Zuul the Cat posted:

Completed a 10 man Fire Warrior Squad & Commander Shadowsun!

Time stamp photo:

Better shot:

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I'm building out a CSM list, and the requirement for cultists and possessed is real. MY problem is that I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on these models. Has anyone found good proxies or models that fill that slot without breaking the bank?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting this weekends efforts:

Nice! Did you do then from scratch over the weekend? If so that's pretty impressive.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Modulo16 posted:

I'm building out a CSM list, and the requirement for cultists and possessed is real. MY problem is that I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on these models. Has anyone found good proxies or models that fill that slot without breaking the bank?

If you're just looking for cheap bodies I'd recommend anything sold by Warlord Games. All their stuff is plastic, and as far as third party miniatures go it isn't the worst plastic. The kits do vary in detail quality though.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Arven posted:

If you're just looking for cheap bodies I'd recommend anything sold by Warlord Games. All their stuff is plastic, and as far as third party miniatures go it isn't the worst plastic. The kits do vary in detail quality though.

Oh wow. Thanks! I'm going to pick up some of these judge dredd models for necromunda too.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

R0ckfish posted:

these fellas are time consuming to paint given low value and impact they are, but I finished off some Gargoyles!

I am actually making good progress on my backlog, I am now clear through my nids.

Those are really nice, the wings must have been a pain in the arse.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Gunder posted:

Those are really nice, the wings must have been a pain in the arse.

The biggest issue is just the sheer number of them, not particularly time consuming for each but it drags on.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Most beloved among the armor of the IVth company is the lumbering behemoth "пыльник." Known as a near immortal magnet for opposing firepower, it is beloved for attracting fire, shrugging off incredible damage, and being returned to functionality despite wounds that would more than total other vehicles.

This guy sat for, not exagerating, over a decade assembled without being painted as I love the model but find the rules frustrating.

Here it is prior to weathering:

And after:

And with the bros:

Since I was frustrated with the rules for this unit, but still excited it was finally done I played a scrimmage of 1500 pts vs 1500 pts. I want to stress that I did not fudge rolls or choose targets with the sole goal of racking up a score. I tried to play myself as well as possible.

In the first turn the vindicator (who was being babysat by a captain with target protocol) caused over 20 unsaved wounds to a dual lascannon razorback. The other razorback was charged and killed by an invictor, and the sole remaining lascannon had LOS blocked. There wasn't really anything left that could reliably hurt it, so I focused fire on other units.

Turn 2 it continued to move up, and did 16 unsaved wounds to a dakapred. Again, nothing that stood a chance to damage it had LOS.

Turn 3 it caused 12 unsaved wounds to the whirlwind.

With that the Vindicator's role in the battle was more or less ended, simply because it had nothing left to shoot at. Final tally: 0 wounds suffered, 2 command points (1 for dev doctrine in turn 2 and 1 to rerol a shots # in turn 1), 550 points of enemy models in 3 turns. I have absolutely zero belief it will ever do this well again.

I felt like it it deserved a "yuppie post hunt prize photo" for its efforts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I got a GW email claiming a "BIG" 40K preview is happening on Saturday. I wonder what colour the dice will be.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

JBP posted:

I got a GW email claiming a "BIG" 40K preview is happening on Saturday. I wonder what colour the dice will be.

Translucent with chapter symbols on each side of the dice that translates to a number.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the dark angels special ability meaning they reroll their chapter symbol makes a weird amount of sense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't know how much to make of this, but that's AoS art being used to promote the 40k preview.

If they're smashing the universes together, it might be time for me to check out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That is absolutely what is happening, and you shouldn't bother to read the 500-word article that image is for

E: I can confirm, my uncle works for Games Workshop

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 18, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

moths posted:

I don't know how much to make of this, but that's AoS art being used to promote the 40k preview.

If they're smashing the universes together, it might be time for me to check out.

There's also the AOS Deathmatch thing. They're promoting both, that's just a cut down version of the full image.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Please check out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm glad that I went back and re-read it, I must have trained myself to not see AoS content the same way I did for LotR content in WD

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Brb writing clickbait for BOLS

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

Nice! Did you do then from scratch over the weekend? If so that's pretty impressive.

No, I wish I was that fast! I had built them, based & primed them during the week. I did Shadowsun, the trash can & a firewarrior to test the scheme. I just finished up the 4 drones & 9 fire warriors this weekend.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be 9th. The only rule change is a pay to win ap that is fully legal for matched and tournament play.

Bid against your opponent for first turn
Pay 1$ to re-roll
Pay 3$ to upgrade your data slates
Pay 5$ to earn another CP.
Pay 10$ to force your opponent to re-roll.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JBP posted:

My money's on Necrons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
$20 to give an enemy model a custom title and avatar

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Improbable Lobster posted:

$20 to give an enemy model a custom title and avatar

"One model from this squad may be upgraded to a Shitposter for 20pts who gains the Deplorable Avatar ability and may take one item from the Redtext equipment list... "

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

Giant Isopod posted:

"One model from this squad may be upgraded to a Shitposter for 20pts who gains the Deplorable Avatar ability and may take one item from the Redtext equipment list... "

This model is immediately probated, and may not perform any action for 1 turn.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Razorback can also be built as a Rhino right? Theoretically I could get one and build it as a Chaos Rhino?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
They're both Rhino kits with an extra sprue pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My money's on Necrons

It's this, but also 9E, an Emp's Children codex, and a new Guard range.

May as well shoot for the moon