Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I would guess that prior to the modern era of basically everyone dying in hospitals, a lot more people died in their home; and also of course the older the home, the more time there's been for people to get old and die there.

It's odd that it was disclosed. But yeah if you buy an older house, probably someone died in it. :shrug: that's life

Some people are really superstitious. Those people are dumb.

It's also the law in some dumb states that you have to disclose deaths from natural causes: https://www.realtor.com/advice/sell/do-you-have-to-disclose-a-death-in-a-house/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, it was a standard disclosure on the form. It's not a big deal, just funny in context of betting my agent it'd have a pile of bodies somewhere and a foundation made of fossilized termites.

quote:

I would guess that prior to the modern era of basically everyone dying in hospitals, a lot more people died in their home; and also of course the older the home, the more time there's been for people to get old and die there.

Exactly. If you're looking at a house built in the early 1900s, as an example, you can absolutely bet that somebody died there. It may be a perfectly mundane thing like 92-yr-old grandma passing in her sleep, but someone's definitely died there.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
One of the disclosures in my California condo purchase in 2018 stated that the owner's son died of natural causes in one of the bedrooms. I haven't told my fiancé because it seems like unnecessary information. Also she might believe in gosts.

e: the condo was built in 1980.

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 17, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have heard rumors, nay read newspaper articles, about some cultures not buying houses where someone has died, particularly a big problem in Hong Kong

I don't know how many more decades that superstition can last because eventually we're gonna run out of good places to live near major metropolitan areas, and yeah after 100-150 years somebody is gonna have died in nearly every room of every house at some point or another it's just statistics. Probably a pretty good superstition when everyone is a farmer and each new generation gets to build a slightly less crappy house and people's houses burn down every 40 years because they're just sticks with hay on top but I think we're mostly past that now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I have heard rumors, nay read newspaper articles, about some cultures not buying houses where someone has died, particularly a big problem in Hong Kong

I don't know how many more decades that superstition can last because eventually we're gonna run out of good places to live near major metropolitan areas, and yeah after 100-150 years somebody is gonna have died in nearly every room of every house at some point or another it's just statistics. Probably a pretty good superstition when everyone is a farmer and each new generation gets to build a slightly less crappy house and people's houses burn down every 40 years because they're just sticks with hay on top but I think we're mostly past that now.

As someone trying to buy in the bay area, let's just say that those rumors please me greatly because it means I have far less competition for places in Colma. :v:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would never buy a house without some deaths in it. Do you really want to be the first ghost? So boring.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i mean even if i did have an old person ghost in my house, they're probably good at old person stuff, so i could do worse than having them around.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

You have to keep some Wether's Originals around, though, otherwise they might become angry spirits.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
A long time local contractor apparently owned and died in our house and is now taking out his vengeance upon us for every bit of house that we replace as it sequentially breaks.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cormack posted:

A long time local contractor apparently owned and died in our house and is now taking out his vengeance upon us for every bit of house that we replace as it sequentially breaks.

That’s just the reaction when you destroy his horcruxes

This why you get a full inspection, people

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Higgy posted:

That’s just the reaction when you destroy his horcruxes

If he chose to put one of those in a pre WWI sewer line I feel like that's more of a reflection of his poor choices than our responsibilities.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

As someone trying to buy in the bay area, let's just say that those rumors please me greatly because it means I have far less competition for places in Colma. :v:

The problem with Colma is not so much the ghosts, it's the tens of thousands of disturbed ghosts who are all pissed off from having their body dug up and jostled about 10 miles south and then reburied

I hope you like the sound of rustling chains

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Higgy posted:

"Full" lol.

It's cursory at best, but can inform your decision when there are enough blatant things.

Doesn't matter how good your inspector - there are simply things they can't do. It's always gonna be a gamble.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

"Full" lol.

It's cursory at best, but can inform your decision when there are enough blatant things.

Doesn't matter how good your inspector - there are simply things they can't do. It's always gonna be a gamble.

It was a joke about horcruxes

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/748-Ortona-Ct_Winter-Springs_FL_32708_M64928-10472

Someone tell me why this sucks because I really liked it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Well for one it's in Florida. I used to live an ~hour south of there so I feel qualified to poo poo on its location.

Otherwise it looks like a fine house if you're ok with a pool in lieu of a back yard? The front drivewaypatiothing is odd looking but nothing unfixable. Certainly better than grass.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Higgy posted:

It was a joke about horcruxes

I missed :thejoke: sorry.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Well for one it's in Florida. I used to live an ~hour south of there so I feel qualified to poo poo on its location.

Otherwise it looks like a fine house if you're ok with a pool in lieu of a back yard? The front drivewaypatiothing is odd looking but nothing unfixable. Certainly better than grass.

For all of its weirdness, Orlando is home. I'll be here until the sea claims it. Just making sure nothing jumped out at me. And I don't need to mow a pool.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend who's trying to buy a house in New Haven, and I'm trying to impress upon her just how dire it seems to look. Like, I thought Taxachusetts was bad but this is a whole different level. The property taxes are completely obscene, 300k condos have 500/mo condo fees. The asking prices are still completely unreasonable and when she lowballs even right now, sellers won't budge.

On top of all that, I noticed that New Haven does a tax assessment in public records as usual, but they also do an appraisal. Like on the New Haven board of assessor's website each property has both an assessment and a higher appraisal. What is the purpose of the city doing it's own appraisals? My friend was using those appraisals as a guideline on how much to bid (thinking a bank appraisal would be likely to match). But I don't understand the purpose or methodology behind those.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo I have been looking at cheap houses in Hawaii and Florida prices are making me think I am smart. I don't live in Hawaii. The ocean is only going to rise what 20 feet?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I missed :thejoke: sorry.

It was a bad joke it’s ok

In other news, apparently my lender is so on the ball that everything is done and waiting for me to sign with escrow this week. They’re sending out a mobile notary because of the roni tomorrow and I’ll wire the funds then. Just gotta wait on the final inspections for the new place and builders to be done with the punch list.

Little over one week left and I can’t wait.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I hope you like the sound of rustling chains

I don’t come to this thread for kinkshaming, thank you very much. :colbert:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

For all of its weirdness, Orlando is home. I'll be here until the sea claims it. Just making sure nothing jumped out at me. And I don't need to mow a pool.

Sundae posted:

I don’t come to this thread for kinkshaming, thank you very much. :colbert:

But but but!

I'm bad at assessing the nuance/flow of a house through realtor photos unless it's super glaringly bad. That kitchen is either amazing or terrible, the risk is the stove at the end is somehow cramped feeling if you often cook with >1 person.

Zero VGS posted:

300k condos have 500/mo condo fees

And I see any condo below 1-1.5%/year as awful. 2% is somehow not insane to me assuming they have a healthy balance sheet, amenities, and an elevator.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

And I see any condo below 1-1.5%/year as awful. 2% is somehow not insane to me assuming they have a healthy balance sheet, amenities, and an elevator.

The $500 didn't even include heat, which I'm used to seeing at that range.

You're saying higher condo fee is better to you?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

But but but!

I'm bad at assessing the nuance/flow of a house through realtor photos unless it's super glaringly bad. That kitchen is either amazing or terrible, the risk is the stove at the end is somehow cramped feeling if you often cook with >1 person.

It felt good, multi person cooking is not a thing at this time. Good point though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Deviant posted:

You don’t but keep in mind a pool/deck will cost you at least $2/day just in maintenance.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

The $500 didn't even include heat, which I'm used to seeing at that range.

Like everything else in life, it's what you are getting for it. What you don't want is that super cheap fee that suddenly leads to a 5 digit special assessment because there were no reserves and the elevator needs to be replaced.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

I also think this man is insane but yes I have heard that often, people get bothered when a HOA appears too low.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
To be clear I hate hoa's, and I would rather it be a little too high than get a special assement for something which should have been saved for by the HOA.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Inner Light posted:

I also think this man is insane but yes I have heard that often, people get bothered when a HOA appears too low.

I just watched a condo complex in my area dish out a $90,000-per-property special assessment for structural issues because they were only collecting $110 per month and, lo and behold, weren't actually saving enough for maintenance and repair activities. If the HOA fees seem substantially below what I'd reasonably conceive I'd spend on maintaining my own unit as a standalone, I'm definitely digging into the HOA financials before I put in an offer. $110 per month x 12 = $1320 per year per unit, where the units are currently valued at around $800K. There is no way I'm spending only $1300 per year maintaining my own place; that's maybe a single coat of paint, plus a weekly lawn mowing guy. Sure, when you have 200 units contributing the expenses aren't 1:1 like that, but if it's not even close, something's going on. New residents buying into the complex now have to pay $760 p/month, while the existing residents are getting a slow scale-up to current rate (in addition to having the assessment).

Nobody likes paying extra fees, but HOA dues (at least for condo/townhouse purposes - I don't understand them for SFH neighborhoods) aren't just extra fees. They're pooled maintenance expenses, and if they're too low for your area / size of unit, it means they're not doing maintenance.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 18, 2020

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sundae posted:

Nobody likes paying extra fees, but HOA dues (at least for condo/townhouse purposes - I don't understand them for SFH neighborhoods)

Even if the SFH neighborhood doesn't have any shared amenities (e.g. a pool/clubhouse), there's usually some shared or common lawn space that needs to be mowed or maintained. There's also road maintenance and snow plowing. The dues may also be paying back a loan for the initial utility hookups.

In my township, no approval is granted to new development without a HOA. The township isn't adding anything new to their existing maintenance responsibilities, so those in a HOA are actually paying twice: to their HOA for maintenance, and local taxes that pay for the maintenance on the neighborhood roads outside my house which predate the changes. Thanks, suckers!

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Buying a house sucks, I hate everything about it. All my investments sold to get the down payment, way too fast pace for a huge huge decision, who knows what's not getting checked because I've never done it before and have to rely on agents with interests not exactly aligned with mine

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Academician Nomad posted:

Buying a house sucks, I hate everything about it. All my investments sold to get the down payment, way too fast pace for a huge huge decision, who knows what's not getting checked because I've never done it before and have to rely on agents with interests not exactly aligned with mine

hopefully it's for a house that you really like at a price that you don't regret

i landed the combo, it's great

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i need to get some data back about the house i posted but if the hoa stuff and driveway property lines come out okay (it's shared) i think i'm going to make an offer.

:ohdear:

sorry it's not the coke house

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sundae posted:

I just watched a condo complex in my area dish out a $90,000-per-property special assessment for structural issues because they were only collecting $110 per month and, lo and behold, weren't actually saving enough for maintenance and repair activities. If the HOA fees seem substantially below what I'd reasonably conceive I'd spend on maintaining my own unit as a standalone, I'm definitely digging into the HOA financials before I put in an offer. $110 per month x 12 = $1320 per year per unit, where the units are currently valued at around $800K. There is no way I'm spending only $1300 per year maintaining my own place; that's maybe a single coat of paint, plus a weekly lawn mowing guy. Sure, when you have 200 units contributing the expenses aren't 1:1 like that, but if it's not even close, something's going on. New residents buying into the complex now have to pay $760 p/month, while the existing residents are getting a slow scale-up to current rate (in addition to having the assessment).

Nobody likes paying extra fees, but HOA dues (at least for condo/townhouse purposes - I don't understand them for SFH neighborhoods) aren't just extra fees. They're pooled maintenance expenses, and if they're too low for your area / size of unit, it means they're not doing maintenance.

Yeah. And it's not about whether just you can afford the special assessment. What happens when delinquency shoots through the roof?

I saw an amazing penthouse with an amazing view listed for under 300k. Turns out a number is issues mean there's a 5 digit special assessment coming and a real fear that delinquency will go through the roof, and since the special assessment is to pay for water pumps because of low pressure in the sprinkler system, the whole building might become uninsurable .

Years of super low hoa have made a super desirable location and view just a toxic property.

Academician Nomad posted:

It sucks. But not as much as knowing how much my rent was compared to the mortgage my friends who bought ten years ago pay. Even without getting into equity, tax deductions, etc.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Can I ask someone to help me interpret this? Per my realtor:

the driveway isn't shared, to be clear. Each property has its own driveway.

I'd be the one in the back

and here's the survey image

What would I own here? It seeeeems okay?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think you’d own the white part of the driveway in the satellite picture.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

What would I own here? It seeeeems okay?

Probably not enough land to have a proper driveway. Or no driveway at all, just an easement.

You need a survey map.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It's likely this:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think you’d own the white part of the driveway in the satellite picture.

Motronic posted:

just an easement.

You probably have an easement or "shared driveway agreement" with your neighbor. A survey, title search, and asking the city should help inform you here. Our city has a standard form for when people want to do this that you must use and attaches to the houses. My inlaws have one, and good neighbors. You don't know until you try though how nice they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You would own an ongoing feud with whatever unreasonable lazy assholes your really nice neighbor that you met and had a good handshake agreement with, sells their house to six months after you move in.