Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Betweenlands is fantastically cool and one of my favorite mods in terms of both mechanics and aesthetics but it really is hard to integrate into any pack specifically because of how "separate" it is, and Sevtech is not a great example of incorporating it. Like so many things in so many modpacks it becomes "delve into this literally just to get this one resource unlocked then you're done".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

Betweenlands is fantastically cool and one of my favorite mods in terms of both mechanics and aesthetics but it really is hard to integrate into any pack specifically because of how "separate" it is, and Sevtech is not a great example of incorporating it. Like so many things in so many modpacks it becomes "delve into this literally just to get this one resource unlocked then you're done".

It would be easier to integrate if it didn't also insist that tools/food from outside the dimension should be unusable/nerfed.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
My wife and I are actually doing a sevtech server together and it's been a blast. Also yes I hit Astral Sorcery HARD and it reaps rewards far beyond any other mod in the pack. The creative flight is obviously our biggest boon, but we also put Meding and Protection V (yes FIVE) on every piece of gear with the Stellar Refraction Table, and I haven't even done the crazy rituals but I know they're super good. Another useful tip I found on some guide is that Steeleaf from the Twilight Forest makes tinker tools regenerate absurdly fast if both the tool and a stack of steeleaf are on your hotbar. Like 4 durability per second fast.

We're halfway through age 4 dealing with Pneumaticraft bullshit, but we are also flying immortal gods of destruction. It's funny because she was playing single player through age 3 before we started together. I've repeatedly pointed out faster, easier, or more efficient ways to do things because I'm more apt to dig through NEI or look things up online. It's been an absolute blast of a pack and co-oping it has been great because division of labor really works well in a path with so many branching advancements. Looking forward to going to space but it seems like the pack's big thing of changing recipes kind of fades away and it becomes just galacticraft planet hopping. Still an awesome pack and very much worth playing through at least to age 4.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My wife and I are actually doing a sevtech server together and it's been a blast. Also yes I hit Astral Sorcery HARD and it reaps rewards far beyond any other mod in the pack. The creative flight is obviously our biggest boon, but we also put Meding and Protection V (yes FIVE) on every piece of gear with the Stellar Refraction Table, and I haven't even done the crazy rituals but I know they're super good. Another useful tip I found on some guide is that Steeleaf from the Twilight Forest makes tinker tools regenerate absurdly fast if both the tool and a stack of steeleaf are on your hotbar. Like 4 durability per second fast.

We're halfway through age 4 dealing with Pneumaticraft bullshit, but we are also flying immortal gods of destruction. It's funny because she was playing single player through age 3 before we started together. I've repeatedly pointed out faster, easier, or more efficient ways to do things because I'm more apt to dig through NEI or look things up online. It's been an absolute blast of a pack and co-oping it has been great because division of labor really works well in a path with so many branching advancements. Looking forward to going to space but it seems like the pack's big thing of changing recipes kind of fades away and it becomes just galacticraft planet hopping. Still an awesome pack and very much worth playing through at least to age 4.

I've started doing the Galacticraft stuff and it definitely feels like a grind. Much more so than the immersive engineering grind, where even though you needed a billion iron, you get a neat looking machine out other end. The ship upgrade path is a lot of work for not a lot of variety.

At least you can use the astral sorcery teleporters to get to the various planets once you've visited them once.

Also, make a void miner with your first batch of diamonds once you hit phase 5.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

galacticraft straight up stinks

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Always has, always will. It's literally just another dimension mod, except the dimensions aren't just boring and pointless, they're also punishingly expensive to reach and obnoxious to deal with once you're there.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The only good use of galacticraft that I've actually seen was a survival pack set on the moon where you had to use minechem to decompose the lunar material to make everything. That, along with the oxygen mechanic and meteors made it quite different and interesting.

Thinking about it, a skyblock where you start in a small bubble of air in the dimension for stations could be fun as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rynoto posted:

Thinking about it, a skyblock where you start in a small bubble of air
Already done, and better than Galacticraft
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/seablock-rustic-waters

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Underwater in a glass cube is fairly different from being stuck in a small bubble of breathable air on the moon. You don't have to do anything to expand beyond what you can unlock in Rustic Waters aside from spend a bit of time clearing away the water, for example.

I've had an idea for a skyblock set in the Advanced Rocketry space station dimension for a while, where you need to manage keeping your space livable and also warp around to use the planetary miner to get resources but I'm not really sure what to do beyond that. Or even if that would be feasible at all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There was a modpack about living in a decaying space station! It was some years back and had pros and cons but was at the least very novel.

Ah, there it is. It was called The Aftermath. https://atlauncher.com/pack/TheAftermath
Lot of old posts about it on page 264, since the pack's about 3.5 years old at this point.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 9, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Rustic Waters was okay but is much different than having to constantly be expanding sealed rooms and tank refilling stations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ok the various space mechanics galacticraft enables are cool. it lets you do some space station stuff, which is also cool

the part where you go to lovely planets to fight vanilla enemies with things on is what truly blows

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I like Advanced Rocketry a lot more than Galacticraft. Not in the least because every mod pack maker in existence is drawn to pair Extra Planets with Galacticraft, which increases the tedium by a shitload. It adds a ton of padding and game time to any pack it's in.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

There was a modpack about living in a decaying space station! It was some years back and had pros and cons but was at the least very novel.

Ah, there it is. It was called The Aftermath. https://atlauncher.com/pack/TheAftermath
Lot of old posts about it on page 264, since the pack's about 3.5 years old at this point.

Interestingly, doesn't use any space mods! It's got Enviromine handling oxygen. I liked it a lot though.

Magres posted:

The only thing that REALLY pissed me off with The Aftermath was the drat meteors. Having the ceiling of my main room cave in, ruining my ability to breath, and also suddenly have spawners raining mobs on me made me pretty mad.

Great modpack other than that though, just don't try to base out of the greenhouse room or you're liable to get meteor hosed

Oddly enough the meteors only ever broke my ceiling like once or twice, and I fixed it up quickly enough. Was a crazy mess in the process though.

Also, for some reason I've had this crazy urge to play Craft of the Titans again, the first one. I kinda want to put it on my server for a while but I don't know if anyone else would want to play that again.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 13, 2020

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The only thing that REALLY pissed me off with The Aftermath was the drat meteors. Having the ceiling of my main room cave in, ruining my ability to breath, and also suddenly have spawners raining mobs on me made me pretty mad.

Great modpack other than that though, just don't try to base out of the greenhouse room or you're liable to get meteor hosed

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay so if anyone is interested in playing the 1.10 Craft of the Titans featuring Ars Magica 2 and such, I've set it up on my server at xxl.snorsh.net.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 14, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man I miss Ars Magica 2.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ars Magica 2 was always begging for a wizard pvp server that never came.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Man I miss Ars Magica 2.

Turns out I was over-worrying about the PlusTIC thing. The pack can be installed normally through Twitch/I assume MultiMC/whatever. So why not come and play with AM2? :P

Also I played on a PvP-allowed public server with a pack that had AM2 and it was fairly overshadowed by things like Blood Magic and Witchery heh.

PS: if you want an easier time with Craft of the Titans, find a hill and put your starter house from Prefab so it's hanging over the side of the hill with only one edge of it having ground access. That way you can funnel enemies and have an easier time defending until you can build a big proper wall around your property.

Or just nerdpole and build your house in the sky I guess

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 14, 2020

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

OgNar posted:

Here's a good video of the immersive portals mod in 1.15.2 for seemless nether portals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWoSNNGs72c

A few years ago I ran a server that had a server-side mod that did something like this ... you could set it so different dimensions were connected up/down and I made a sky dimension above and put the nether below.

It definitely wasn't seemless like this; you'd get the loading screen on transition each time.

... how do you get flight in Astral Sorcery?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fondue posted:

... how do you get flight in Astral Sorcery?

So, the Vicio-attuned Mantle of the Stars gives you gliding, but with perks you can make it so it gives you creative flight instead - with some fairly hefty penalties.

Feeling pretty protected for the moment.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 16, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I was digging a set of stairs in a mountain and found, well, water. :T

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
always have some blocks on your hotbar ready to swap to instantly and drop two in the way of the water so it doesn't go down the stairs and/or just put torches on the ceiling behind you as you go so the water never reaches it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

so I've learned!

It's taken months and trying vanilla minecraft and bouncing to finally click. I'm farming, I have a bigger home now, and while I like exploring I like the idea of creating a series of outposts better, so I don't have to deal with minecraft combat too often.

Here's a mountain-top view of my current home! I'm pretty fond of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

came down from the mountain and died to starvation literally as my pork chop came out of the oven

e: more screenshots - first of my first two outposts and second is just nice scenery

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 16, 2020

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
does anyone have any recommendations for quest based mods that aren't skyblock or the like?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

does anyone have any recommendations for quest based mods that aren't skyblock or the like?

Blightfall.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Can someone give me a rundown on the different Feed the Beast modpacks? Like, why should I look at Revelation over Infinity Evolved?

(I'm thinking of branching out and trying other Minecraft rulesets, so to speak - Life in the Woods Renaissance continues to be my jam but I'm always curious about other options)

e: Trying FTB Academy now as it sells itself as mods for beginners.
e2: This is really fascinating; I'm learning that I am completely uninterested in Factorio-style automation in my minecraft.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 17, 2020

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Blightfall.

I need to give that one a shot again. Do I need to redownload technic for that or is it on the twitch launcher now?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RickVoid posted:

I need to give that one a shot again. Do I need to redownload technic for that or is it on the twitch launcher now?

I can not find Blightfall on the twitch launcher. You'll have to get technic.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

StrixNebulosa posted:

e2: This is really fascinating; I'm learning that I am completely uninterested in Factorio-style automation in my minecraft.

A couple friends played Infinity Evolved with me a while back, it was their first time playing modded and one of them spent weeks automating everything that could be automated as he learned the various mods (In the end he tried to manage our reactor with an open computers script and exploded our whole giant tower and everything around it but he had fun in the process.) I don't think he ever even left the house once it was started.
I can't do that, I usually do some basic automation but don't mind doing things manually if it gets me out exploring and killing more quickly.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

New Progress server is up! The pack will be familiar to those who have played Progress before, but the world is, for the first time ever, completely handmade, thanks to our own Johnny_Madhouse, who made something incredible. Head on over to the PGS thread and join us, anyone is welcome.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I'm Johnny_Madhouse, and I like making maps. I'm really excited to see how people interact with this map because I want to make a Blightfall-style pack someday!

Quoting my last post in this thread:

Priapus Unbound posted:

If you want a map for your pack, holla @ me. I'll even do weird ones like cave worlds if you are interested. I'm making an 8k x12k map these days for a server but I don't mind having two projects because it will give me an excuse to try different things.

EDIT: I'll attach some images of stuff I've done in WP. All of these images are of wip areas and the 1.14 ones don't have custom biome tinting that we'd like to have in the future.

This first one is from my current project. It's a set of snowy mountains with streams falling off their edges into a valley dominated by pines and lakes. Due to minecraft draw distance, I don't typically roll with realistic geological features to help with a sense of scale.

https://imgur.com/aiIPk9Y

Here's a wip red sand desert coast. I wanted coastal boulders. I need to complete texturing the desert in the background and tinker a bit with adding dune grass.

https://imgur.com/Dxfctyk

Experimenting with some flat-topped mountains with seasonal forests that cap in snow. I've updated the tree mix since to add more variation, including some larger trees and more aggressive seasonal colors as height increases.

https://imgur.com/A1Mgqld

Generic white sand island. I like little boulder outcrops with more sparse vegetation around them due to 'thinner soil' represented here by coarse dirt and sand.

https://imgur.com/KDDI5U8

Some more extreme sea pillars. I'd love to see what players build here. gently caress realism sometimes!

https://imgur.com/wBil9yD

An experiment with cave layers. An underground ocean with wavy pillars. This is all under a painted surface, but someday I want to try making a world in wp using the option to paint both a bottom and a ceiling to the same world, so that both could be detailed. I could carve some SIIIIIIIICK landforms that way.

https://imgur.com/nlQ74AQ

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 18, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Priapus Unbound posted:

I'm Johnny_Madhouse, and I like making maps. I'm really excited to see how people interact with this map because I want to make a Blightfall-style pack someday!

Hey yeah, that's gorgeous. Like, really good job, man. 10/10 would build sickass bridges two thirds of the way up those sea pilllars for sure.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

How the heck do you make make like that?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I use a program called Worldpainter, which is a utility for making minecraft worlds. It's got an active dev and a supportive community that make it a really fun hobby.

https://www.worldpainter.net/

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Priapus Unbound posted:

Quoting my last post in this thread:

Those are amazing! I think one of Minecraft's strong points is exploration, but it's not really taken advantage of by many modders. It's the main reason I liked Blightfall.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

New Progress server is up! The pack will be familiar to those who have played Progress before, but the world is, for the first time ever, completely handmade, thanks to our own Johnny_Madhouse, who made something incredible. Head on over to the PGS thread and join us, anyone is welcome.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Any chance of adding OpenComputers and its addons? (Open Screens etc)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Any chance of adding OpenComputers and its addons? (Open Screens etc)

Probably not. Is there something particular about it you need? We already have computercraft and rftools for automation and display stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nah just is something I feel like playing around with at the moment so I thought I'd ask!