Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dude, what? i strongly agree with both of those points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

drgitlin posted:

The point, which you seem pathologically incapable of accepting, is that no one outside of this dead gay comedy forum wants to buy cars instead of SUVs, and no one in this dead gay comedy forum buys new cars.

Even given the shrinking segment the Mazda3:Civic and Mazda3:Corolla ratios have got to be way lower than at any time in the past.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

dissss posted:

Even given the shrinking segment the Mazda3:Civic and Mazda3:Corolla ratios have got to be way lower than at any time in the past.

Thats true, but the Civic and Corolla are really the only two cars in the segment that have maintained pretty consistent volume for the last decade. Ford and Chevy just flat out decided it wasn’t even worth trying, and most of the rest are down significantly from their peaks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

drgitlin posted:

and no one in this dead gay comedy forum buys new cars.

Then why do I keep reading about these posters buying new cars?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Focus was a good car, but not terribly inspiring until the hot versions came along (USDM). Chevy had to redeem themselves for the J-Body and that was never going to happen.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

So I bought this dumb land yacht instead of the CX-5.
I'm so sorry Dave Coleman, but this barge was only a couple grand more than a CX-5 Sig.

2018 A6 Competition CPO with only 700 miles on it and 5 years left on the warranty.
The supercharged V6 owns- last of the breed. Plus the cabin doesn't look like goddamn Minority Report.

So anyway this has to hold me over until the rwd inline 6 Mazda 6 comes out.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:allears: What a beautiful highway cruiser.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are any DCTs reliable?
Specifically the FWD Mercedes, but I'm curious if any of them are.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smooth jazz posted:

I'm so sorry Dave Coleman, but this barge was only a couple grand more than a CX-5 Sig.

2018 A6 Competition CPO with only 700 miles on it and 5 years left on the warranty.
The supercharged V6 owns- last of the breed. Plus the cabin doesn't look like goddamn Minority Report.

This is very nice. We may be getting either an A4/A6 Avant next year so I'm curious how reliable this ends up for you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Minto Took posted:

The Focus was a good car, but not terribly inspiring until the hot versions came along (USDM). Chevy had to redeem themselves for the J-Body and that was never going to happen.

Ford totally hosed up the Focus in the US. Gen 1 was the same as the Euro one, four body styles, good handling etc. Sold well. Then Europe got a full refresh, and we got a lovely refresh of the first gen, which was basically a fleet / municipality specialty, sedan and weirdly coupe only. Then we got Gen 3 which was a world car, technically, sedan and hatch. This was a good car and very competitive other than DPS6 which of course completely hosed up the car.

In a world where Ford doesn't cheap out on Gen 2 and where they don't put DPS6 in Gen 3, we very well could still get Focus in the US. Focus Active was going to come here other than the whole China Trade War thing.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

This is very nice. We may be getting either an A4/A6 Avant next year so I'm curious how reliable this ends up for you.

I am also curious.
Buying a car during a pandemic is dumb, but I figured if am gonna take a risk why not go all in

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 18, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

smooth jazz posted:

hell yes

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smooth jazz posted:

Well done my goon man. You made a Correct Choice, in the best color.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

black: not a color

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

black: not a color

I wonder how well I’d do owning a black car and then I realize that I’m the type of person that stresses out over scratches/gets paint protection film installed.

So probably not well.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Toyota just announced a new Venza. It's going to be a 2.5l hybrid only and AWD standard.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So basically they are calling the Prius wagon the Venza now?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nah, it's a harrier. So taller and a little more luxe.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But most cars of that era were like that? Lots of the same basic body on frame underpinnings. Yeah the Pinto was unibody but it still drove like poo poo.

The basic engineering that went into the Pinto chassis was in the 1950s. It’s essentially a refreshed Falcon, a further iteration of the Maverick. That, and general cheapness, was why it was a turd.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

So basically they are calling the Prius wagon the Venza now?

Did the Prius V have AWD?

I feel like the Prius V should have sold fairly well but did not at all. A little cladding and AWD should do the trick. Not sure what the advantage is over the RAV-4 Hybrid though. I guess it's bigger and fancier?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I wonder how well I’d do owning a black car and then I realize that I’m the type of person that stresses out over scratches/gets paint protection film installed.

So probably not well.

If you have PPF, why does it matter if it's black?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i usually start off by running my car in to something so that i don't have to give a gently caress

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

So probably not well.

3 of my last 5 cars were black strictly because I got a good deal on them. As someone with crippling OCD it's an utter bullshit nightmare to maintain.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

smooth jazz posted:

3 of my last 5 cars were black strictly because I got a good deal on them. As someone with crippling OCD it's an utter bullshit nightmare to maintain.

look into a ceramic coating put on by a professional, it's a tad pricey but would be way worth it for someone in your situation (OCD, black car :v:)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nah, I have opticoat on the Aston, and it didn't do poo poo. If anything, it makes all the scratches more visible.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I haven't done too much research on ceramic coating, a deep rabbit hole unto itself, but from what I understand it's great for hydrophobic but still susceptible to spiderwebbing/hairlines from washing?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I dunno, read up in the detailing thread, last time I read in there they were all gushing about it.

Was planning on having both my cars done because honestly I'm tired of waxing them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

:sickos:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not sure what the advantage is over the RAV-4 Hybrid though. I guess it's bigger and fancier?

Pretty much. More space, and especially more luxury defines that 2-row midsized space. For example, of the new Ford Edges around me, only 13% can be had with cloth seats. The bonus of more luxury means higher prices, which will limit the number of buyers for a vehicle that isn't as CAFE-friendly as the 3-row SUV that the 2-row midsizer shares a powertrain with.

Toyota also unveiled a new Sienna today, which will be offered exclusively as a hybrid, returning an estimated 33 MPG combined. You can get an ottoman for the second-row captain's chairs, and a 1500W inverter with a 120V AC outlet for car camping and tailgating.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

When I think of cars that will in no way be an expensive, constant pain in the rear end to maintain, my first thought is naturally: a domestic car from a rental fleet that will certainly have had the piss thrashed out of it. :v:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

"autocheck one owner" indeed :lol:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeeaahhhh no thanks. I'd pay the extra few (hundred/thousand) bucks to get one from a codger who was afraid of the gas pedal and not driven by dozens/hundreds of yahoos.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

smooth jazz posted:

I haven't done too much research on ceramic coating, a deep rabbit hole unto itself, but from what I understand it's great for hydrophobic but still susceptible to spiderwebbing/hairlines from washing?

If you get it installed by a detailer, the main cost is from the polishing they do before as ceramic coatings "lock in" any defect and sometimes require (depending on the coating) some pretty aggressive polishing to get it off. They are generally very hydrophobic, last longer and offer great chemical resistance but they are in no way maintenance free. Less maintenance, yes, but you still need to care for it with proper washing technique and with the proper products in order to no degrade it or, as you mention, get tons of wash-induced swirls. You can't just polish them out neither as it'll remove the coating. IMO coatings are only worth it if you do it yourself.
Any claim that it resists scratching etc is just BS. It can make wash swirls less of a thing by having less dirt stick on the car, but other than that it won't do much. There are "light" coatings as well now that give much of the benefits, but won't last as long.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you wash your car correctly you don't have to worry about swirls tho, and when you wax you still have to wash the car too obviously, so why not do something that lasts WAY longer than wax if it's maintained properly?

For me living in Florida it has a lot to do with UV protection too, I have to wax with a polymer based UV wax at least every 3 or four months for it to be effective, and if I can cut that down to once a year or more that's worth it to me. I can handle the maintenance part, it's the buffing and waxing that's a pain in the rear end.

Also I've never heard claims about scratch resistance, but it does help keep bugs from melting into the paint in hot climates. It's perfect for Florida and other sun bleached states, not sure how it translates up north with the salty roads and all that.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 19, 2020

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

opengl128 posted:

Yeeaahhhh no thanks. I'd pay the extra few (hundred/thousand) bucks to get one from a codger who was afraid of the gas pedal and not driven by dozens/hundreds of yahoos.

It's a 650hp car with a torque converter auto. I can't think of a car that would be more difficult to abuse without killing yourself. Revving the engine once in a while is 100% better for it than just letting it sit.

Like what are you going to do, floor it everywhere? You would be dead, and this is actually a car that was designed with sufficient cooling/oiling/etc to actually handle that kind of stuff.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

If you wash your car correctly you don't have to worry about swirls tho, and when you wax you still have to wash the car too obviously, so why not do something that lasts WAY longer than wax if it's maintained properly?

For me living in Florida it has a lot to do with UV protection too, I have to wax with a polymer based UV wax at least every 3 or four months for it to be effective, and if I can cut that down to once a year or more that's worth it to me. I can handle the maintenance part, it's the buffing and waxing that's a pain in the rear end.

Also I've never heard claims about scratch resistance, but it does help keep bugs from melting into the paint in hot climates. It's perfect for Florida and other sun bleached states, not sure how it translates up north with the salty roads and all that.

Yeah that's what I mean, but the scratch and swirl protection claims comes mainly from the less reputable detailers / companies that prey on the people who don't have a clue. Especially when the whole ceramic coating craze was at its worst. I'm putting on a coating later this week (hopefully) and it'll probably make caring even easier. I put ceramic coating on my rims and haven't had to touch them yet. Pressure washing gets rid of everything.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My concern would be the pedal being matted right after startup and the increased wear that causes as it's not ideal for wear to rev out or put the engine under high loads with cold oil.

Haven't looked into pricing on these, what's the discount for being an ex-rental?

E: re: ceramic coat. I had my black car ceramic coated. It's a summer only car so no experience with slush and snow on it, but it makes washing it a breeze, and it comes out looking as good as freshly detailed, most of the time just a pressure wash rinse is enough to get it completely clean and I use a leaf blower to dry off for the freshly detailed look with minimal effort.

On the downside, I did give it to a body shop to replace the windshield and they put in a ton of microscratches into the paint when they did a "complimentary" wash, completely ignoring my instructions and the window placard that states on huge letters not to wash it. At least they're covering most of the replacement cost to have it redone.

Personally, I would recommend it on a black car, the added convenience of a quick low effort wash making it look like I spent all day detailing it is worth it for me.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 19, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah that's what I mean, but the scratch and swirl protection claims comes mainly from the less reputable detailers / companies that prey on the people who don't have a clue. Especially when the whole ceramic coating craze was at its worst. I'm putting on a coating later this week (hopefully) and it'll probably make caring even easier. I put ceramic coating on my rims and haven't had to touch them yet. Pressure washing gets rid of everything.

Yeah I think once the "new thing" craze is over it will be way more affordable to have it done. And like you said it's the initial paint correction that's the biggest part of the cost and that's a good thing to do anyway if you want to keep the paint looking good.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
To be honest, the best value for ceramic coatings is to DIY. Not only do you learn enough to actually maintain it, but you also save a bunch.
Also a bit controversial but: If you haven't been cursed enough with detailing to see swirls in every car you walk by under the sunlight / halogen street lights, but like a clean daily driver, do yourself a favour and don't give a poo poo and just put a coating on the car without polishing it before. If it's new enough it won't have much swirls anyway. If it's old with swirls, the coating will hide some of it anyway. Not that it doesn't matter because you don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I got PPF installed which requires the same level of paint prep of ceramic coating, so the actual ceramic coating part of things wasn't all that significant an extra cost to have a professional do it and have it warrantied for 4 years.

The hybrid ceramic sealants seem like a good compromise for most people. It gives you a lot of the same advantages of a true ceramic coating, you just have to do a bit more to maintain it.