Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

He's not a genius or a visionary, he's just the first geek with enough money to weasel his way into the industry at just the right moment to undercut the other launch providers.

So aside from helping privatize space travel, nothing. :hai:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Elon is doing the cool poo poo we'd probably all do if we become billionaires but he's being a loving pillock about it and people worship him for no reason

If his companies treated their workers awesomely and he wasn't an insufferable asshat things would be different

Space X is cool and good, and so is Tesla to a degree, he's just a libertarian poo poo not some super genius science guy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
How many nerds out there would have started a reusable rocket company with the aim of opening the solar system to humans if they'd have started with the same kind of wealth Musk did? What if space exploration's future had been decided by the people instead of wealthy senators and military contractors? The hero worship of this guy is deeply frustrating.

e:fb

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So aside from helping privatize space travel, nothing. :hai:

loving

ugh

making reusable booster rockets is a Big Deal, the privatization was ongoing and would have continued without him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
SpaceX is good and cool and yeah it’s Elon’s baby and he’s the public face of it, but it needs to said over and over that the company’s success has waaaaaaaaaay more to do with Gwynne Shotwell running things.

SpaceX good
Elon bad

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's important to remember too that SpaceX is an example of what humans can do when we have the materials and resources to work together it's just easy to forget when it's owned by a dumbass who doesn't get the themes of BSG

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

How many nerds out there would have started a reusable rocket company with the aim of opening the solar system to humans if they'd have started with the same kind of wealth Musk did? What if space exploration's future had been decided by the people instead of wealthy senators and military contractors? The hero worship of this guy is deeply frustrating.

loving

ugh

making reusable booster rockets is a Big Deal, the privatization was ongoing and would have continued without him

He had fuckall to do with the actual technology his company developed, he's a massive piece of poo poo who just happens to be a nerd and space travel would likely be in the exact same place it is now, except with Bezos at the forefront or some other nerdy billionaire.

making reusable booster rockets is a Big Deal and he had jack poo poo to do with it besides being the dorky money guy. gently caress him.

e: also if you wanna go real wide with it, he's essentially funding all of this off conflict gemstone money

in conclusion:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

SpaceX good
Elon bad

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anyway I'm pretty sure it was this exact thread where someone gave me poo poo for a 3-post side-discussion on Westworld so how about we stop talking about Legendary Schmuck Elon Musk for now?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

A new Star Trek show, but it's just combs doing Shakespeare in a park somewhere

In the original Klingon, I hope.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The guy citing Musk as a visionary is from the Evil Universe. It went from something that would age badly to being entirely appropriate almost immediately anyway

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Seemlar posted:

The guy citing Musk as a visionary is from the Evil Universe. It went from something that would age badly to being entirely appropriate almost immediately anyway

You know what

I'm ok with it now

Genuinely thank you

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tighclops posted:

How many nerds out there would have started a reusable rocket company with the aim of opening the solar system to humans if they'd have started with the same kind of wealth Musk did?

Yo ! Right here !

Tail landing rockets like God and Robert Heinlein intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-pfzKbh2k

:getin:

gently caress Musk, put the right people on it and this happens.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Seemlar posted:

Stamets was so upset at hearing Elon Musk being mentioned alongside the Wright Brothers and Zephram Cochrane that he storms off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder what Mirror Elon is like. (You do NOT want to know all the poo poo that went down between him and Mirror Azealia Banks.)

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Didn’t Tilly have a throw away line about going to Elon Musk High in season 2 as well?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Seemlar posted:

This is a good point, something I hadn't thought of. Makes me feel way better about the line.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LeafyOrb posted:

Didn’t Tilly have a throw away line about going to Elon Musk High in season 2 as well?

Her HS was actually named after Elon Musk Jr, who was born X Æ A-12 Musk but later changed his name, publicly declared his parents to be tools, and went on to found the Star Trek universe’s first Cellular Peptide bakery.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

LeafyOrb posted:

I'm pretty sure she mentions it being an awful school

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Her HS was actually named after Elon Musk Jr, who was born X Æ A-12 Musk but later changed his name, publicly declared his parents to be tools, and went on to found the Star Trek universe’s first Cellular Peptide bakery.

To be fair she went to school at Space Florida colony, one town over from David Duke High on Lost Cause Blvd.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LeafyOrb posted:

It was Musk Junior high. May's recording to Tilly called it an 'awful school.'

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1260333500122591232?s=20

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I suddenly remembered something, and went digging back through the thread.

From exactly two months ago, March 17th:

Astroman posted:

Despite the utter shitshow that is the fall of Western Civilization we seem to be living through, there is evidence that we are, in fact, in the Best Timeline:

quote:

A ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ spin-off series centered around Captain Christopher Pike is officially in the works. We have also done some digging and discovered several details about the show.

First off, the Pike-centric series is currently titled “Star Trek: Enterprise.” Next, the production title is “Strange New World.”
https://thegww.com/exclusive-captain-pike-star-trek-discovery-spin-off-series-in-the-works/

:swoon:

We've done a fair amount of making GBS threads on TheGWW, but I have to admit they loving nailed this one.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Powered Descent posted:

https://thegww.com/exclusive-captain-pike-star-trek-discovery-spin-off-series-in-the-works/

We've done a fair amount of making GBS threads on TheGWW, but I have to admit they loving nailed this one.
[/quote]

On the other hand, the show premise and title are like ridiculously obvious ideas so it could be a lucky guess/coincidence too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every now and then it strikes me just how bad "The Next Generation" is as a subtitle

Like wow

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wasn’t there a bunch of shows that adopted the “Next Generation” title scheme around that time? Was Star Trek the first one?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Elon Musk is a dumbass and his useless starlink bullshit is going to ruin astronomy if it doesn’t outright cause a kessler collapse from incompetent execution, hth

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Posting in the Musky thread

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
lol would retweet again

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I was just thinking it would be ironic if the bright, optimistic, Roddenberry-esque Trek became the dark sheep of the franchise this time, like an inverse DS9.

Jfc dammit, that is exactly what would happen.

:spergin:"It's not realistic!":spergin:

AntherUslessPoster posted:

That, but condensed to one season.

Brisk storytelling? In my Stirred Dreck?

<seinfeld>Iiii-hi-hi don't think so!</seinfeld>

Senor Tron posted:

Also I'll be pumped if the opening credits are basically the Beyond end credits but with less blown up planets and more whooshing Enterprise.

https://youtu.be/swpuB-LmwZM

Whoa, poo poo I had forgotten all about that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seemlar posted:

Holy poo poo this works.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Wasn’t there a bunch of shows that adopted the “Next Generation” title scheme around that time? Was Star Trek the first one?

It's a super 80's thing because the 80's and early-mid 90's were the last time that there was the general assumption that things would always get better as time goes on. So you use titles like "The Next Generation" because people automatically associate that as "Oh, this is what happens next so it must be even better!".

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Brisk storytelling? In my Stirred Dreck?

No, no!
8 episodes of introducing the crew and a finale two parter The Menagerie reshoot

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

[/quote]

:smug:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

It's a super 80's thing because the 80's and early-mid 90's were the last time that there was the general assumption that things would always get better as time goes on. So you use titles like "The Next Generation" because people automatically associate that as "Oh, this is what happens next so it must be even better!".

This is obviously written by somebody who never saw DeGrassi: The Next Generation. Stuff never got better for those kids

I think they just used the title, honestly, to say, "Hey, remember how you liked Star Trek? Well, it's back!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

When I was a kid I had no idea there was a Star Trek show before Next Generation. I thought it was just called that because it was in the future, i.e. about the "next generation" of humanity or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink-Mix Man posted:

When I was a kid I had no idea there was a Star Trek show before Next Generation. I thought it was just called that because it was in the future, i.e. about the "next generation" of humanity or something.

Sort of awesome coming from that perspective, sounds like.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

my shameful confession: I never watched Deep Spaces 1 through 8 :smith:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Finally got around to watching Discovery, shotgunning it in a weekend, and man does this show have a problem with telling instead of showing.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

RLM's Picard review dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwF1iri1GjQ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I can't watch a 90 minute review! I've got 9 hours of TV to watch!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

finally i can know what to think about this show!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

A nerd's thoughts on Star Trek? Now this I gotta see!