Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CAROL posted:

drat sweden sucks

the world asked people to be socially distant and the swedes picked now as the time to not be up to the task

lmao bunch of sex starved touch freaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

RandomBlue posted:

A whole lot of people have because it's cheaper.

Oh wow. I haven't experienced it (i am a vet) but honestly that doesn't surprise me that much

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

People have been known to take ibuprofen or paracetamol in the past to get past temperature checking at airports. I have no doubt plenty would do the same to go shopping. Masks and plenty of hand sanitiser stations are probably the best options for retail spaces.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

People have been known to take ibuprofen or paracetamol in the past to get past temperature checking at airports. I have no doubt plenty would do the same to go shopping.

A worker at a US meat packing plant did it just the other week so they wouldn't get kicked out and lose their benefits

A few weeks ago some dude lied about his symptoms so he could visit his wife in the maternity ward

Your Shoes
May 6, 2020

by Reene

Chuds are already rallying against any kind of contact tracing as communism/against all the amendments/UN conspiracy so I have no confidence in any State besides maybe a few on the West Coast getting any buy in on this.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dixville posted:

Oh wow. I haven't experienced it (i am a vet) but honestly that doesn't surprise me that much

It's not just that the animal versions are cheaper and easier to get, but also you don't need a doctor's appointment to get them. From what I recall this applies most notably to antibiotics.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

RandomBlue posted:

It's not just that the animal versions are cheaper and easier to get, but also you don't need a doctor's appointment to get them. From what I recall this applies most notably to antibiotics.

Oh yeah people take fish amoxicillin or whatnot

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A worker at a US meat packing plant did it just the other week so they wouldn't get kicked out and lose their benefits

A few weeks ago some dude lied about his symptoms so he could visit his wife in the maternity ward

This perfectly illustrates how the selfishness of people will ensure that any attempt to squash this thing will fail.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah that guy making starvation wages at the meat plant is responsible for it all. It's not the fact of his wretched existence that will likely leave him jobless and then homeless if he calls in sick

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I blame the poor for most things, personally

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You can't pause capitalism!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's like considering how badly things are being handled on a larger level, what difference does it even make? Everyone's going to get sick at this point, if you catch it and can't afford to be jobless for likely months if not longer you might as well keep on going and hope that it's a light case - worst case you'll just die now.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

this is at best misleading, New Zealand produces vastly more food than it consumes, though we do also import from over seas it's not really food insecurity if we can just change our diets...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I want a shirt that says “I’d rather die than wear a mask”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"No one cared who I was until I didn't put on the mask"

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Shaocaholica posted:

I want a shirt that says “I’d rather die than wear a mask”

and then use it for a makeshift mask

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

"Listen here bud, American deserved covid-19!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AARP LARPer posted:

The purpose of the now-diminishing stay-at-home was not to prevent people from getting Covid. It was to slow the infection rate to a level that hospitals could manage treatment.

From a pure public health standpoint, the hypothetical “best” scenario would be for a strict-shelter-in-place order to remain in effect until a vaccine is administered. This isn’t to prevent the disease from spreading, but to slow it. And it was necessary to slow it to prevent the overwhelming of hospital capacity. It’s only meant to protect lives in as much as preventing excess deaths due to lack of medical care.

The path forward over the coming months will be this weird loosening/tightening restrictions if/when hospitals get near capacity. I predict that on average, death rates will plateau and hold steady for ~4 months. The trouble is that tightening restrictions back up will be less effective over time, so I anticipate some big fluctuations as we go back to a reactive stance to this (due to the delay effects).

I see this as a race to 60% total infection or a prophylactic, whichever comes first.

The only way I see myself changing my outlook is if there was a rigorous nationwide testing/tracing program implemented, but c’mon.

Trying to ride the ride of filling hospitals but not overfilling them is death for dying’s sake. All we would get out of it is a few weeks of lousy beach days and lousy business.

No matter what the absolute level of cases is, the level of lockdown and social distancing it takes to plateau there are the same.

We could have our hospitals at ten percent capacity or ten times over capacity, and we’re locked down just the same to maintain them, because that’s how exponential functions work. The differences lie in how many people are dying around us, and how risky any public interaction is. If you’re under the same lockdown orders either way, would you rather have a 0.05% chance of catching the coronavirus on a grocery run, or a a 5% chance? The same factor applies to the chance of getting a phonecall from next of kin of anyone in your address book.

Some places going are going to ride that line to maximise both death and economic destruction. Others have leaders who will hold out long enough for Wisconsin to demonstrate the folly of that approach.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The US refused to pick a lane and limped along with a half-hearted lockdown where a whole bunch of not really essential stuff was still open and then gave up because the benefits weren't immediately obvious and it was all too hard. They got all the drawbacks from a lockdown (economy hosed, food chains interrupted, millions of jobs lost) and re-opening will wipe out any of the benefits they got from it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We also had megachurches blow CoVid away, so jot that down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The US refused to pick a lane and limped along with a half-hearted lockdown where a whole bunch of not really essential stuff was still open and then gave up because the benefits weren't immediately obvious and it was all too hard. They got all the drawbacks from a lockdown (economy hosed, food chains interrupted, millions of jobs lost) and re-opening will wipe out any of the benefits they got from it.

This is the most irritating thing about many aspects of daily life today. People are so fuckin impatient. If there aren't results NOW and the problem doesn't get resolved RIGHT NOW then it's not worth doing at all.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CJacobs posted:

This is the most irritating thing about many aspects of daily life today. People are so fuckin impatient. If there aren't results NOW and the problem doesn't get resolved RIGHT NOW then it's not worth doing at all.

They're going to claim that the lockdown wasn't necessary because the health care system didn't collapse (thanks to the lockdown), that it didn't actually help anyway since a bunch of people are still getting sick (since lockdown was such a joke) and that COVID isn't even really that bad (since they don't give a gently caress about anything but their haircuts and TGIFridays).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sad thing is, impatience is surely part of the reason the US officials didn't very explicitly clarify from moment one that the point of the lockdown was to slow down the virus, not prevent it. Because "slow down the virus" means "it will be around longer" and government officials are absolutely terrified of saying anything remotely negative out of fear that the public will turn against them. Thus we instead got #flattenthecurve which thousands and thousands of people surely shared without any idea what it actually meant.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

greazeball posted:

They're going to claim that the lockdown wasn't necessary because the health care system didn't collapse (thanks to the lockdown), that it didn't actually help anyway since a bunch of people are still getting sick (since lockdown was such a joke) and that COVID isn't even really that bad (since they don't give a gently caress about anything but their haircuts and TGIFridays).

Our lockdown was so successful that we've had 99 deaths in a population of 25 million. Because so few people have even a friend of a friend connection to those deaths, a whole lot of people have convinced themselves that the lockdown was an over-reaction and that the risk is minor, even though we are still seeing new clusters.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

Wearing a mask has become a "liberal" thing, where not wearing one is a "conservative" thing.

We all saw this coming because it happens with everything else except breathing.

I said it before and I'll say it again. You want to Make America Great Again; all you have to do is make not drinking bleach a "liberal" thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yo everyone living in Wisconsin, gonna need y'all to send me that New Glarus and your finest cheeses

so that I might preserve your memory

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dixville posted:

Lmao I'm surprised people haven't actually tried this

As an aside that's one of my favourite Seinfeld bits. Just Larry David very lazily and sloppily dubbed over a dog moving its mouth. It's amazing :allears:

On topic, it seems Finland has largely given up any pretense of taking covid-19 seriously. I had to go to a shopping mall the other day, and there were dozens and dozens of old people there, literally none of them wearing masks or any kind of protection. Nobody really giving a poo poo about distancing, forcing me to go out of my way to give people a wide berth.

It's going to get real bad over here again real soon.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again. You want to Make America Great Again; all you have to do is make not drinking bleach a "liberal" thing.

Start a viral Russian Roulette challenge too

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
godamn bleachcucks

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
It looks like all NSW public school students will be returning to school full-time next week, a full two months ahead of the original schedule of the end of this term. I expect that decision has more to do with an increasing number of businesses/organisations re-opening than anything else and parents no longer being available to supervise their children/help them with online learning.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Der Shovel posted:

On topic, it seems Finland has largely given up any pretense of taking covid-19 seriously. I had to go to a shopping mall the other day, and there were dozens and dozens of old people there, literally none of them wearing masks or any kind of protection. Nobody really giving a poo poo about distancing, forcing me to go out of my way to give people a wide berth.

It's going to get real bad over here again real soon.

This is why I always :rolleyes: when goons talk about Americans wanting the lockdown to be over as some kind of uniquely American stupidity. It’s easy to think that when you’re just seeing the American stuff on the news but plenty of people all over are starting to ignore it. Turns out humans don’t do so great at being locked down in general.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Munich's Isar on Sunday:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Piss Meridian posted:

this is at best misleading, New Zealand produces vastly more food than it consumes, though we do also import from over seas it's not really food insecurity if we can just change our diets...

Nine times out of ten, these painted world map things are riddled with inaccuracies. For example, the Netherlands on that map is painted as the almost totally reliant on importing food when in reality it is the second largest(!) agricultural exporter in the world. It is probably food secure enough to feed its population many times over.

I just noticed this pandemic has been going on so long that I don't even check the worldometer stats anymore. I feel like everybody everywhere is feeling like we're getting to the tail end of things, and looking for normality to return in the next month or so with a few minor inconveniences that might persist. But all the signs point to this second wave hitting like a truck because people are are starved of contact and raring to get back to things as they were. Most people were pretty acquiescent to the lockdown as an extraordinary circumstance. But how many will be if the hammer needs to come down again? Or a third time after that? Many governments have also pulled out a lot of stops to prevent a wholesale collapse of small/medium size businesses. But these measures probably can't handle prolonged, repeated lockdowns. Hell, even with the government aid, many are already collapsing or on the brink. The scale of the recession on the other side of this, once the government rug has been pulled out from these businesses is likely going to be unparalleled. I don't know if I'm catastrophising, but I just can't seemany of brick and mortar stores surviving this at all if there's, say, another lockdown July through September.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jeza posted:

I just noticed this pandemic has been going on so long that I don't even check the worldometer stats anymore.

i never stopped checking world-o-meter since this started. the death count always goes up by at least 1000+ every time i hit refresh. it has never got any better, only worse. so i'm really confused by everyone acting like its all over and time to open'er up.

we were freaking out in march over 300 dead per day. why now does no one care about 4000+ dead every day? :psyduck:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I thought this was funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTluTn3Axt0

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Greatest Living Man posted:

Munich's Isar on Sunday:

like i know it looks bad but most of those people are in family groups and perspective is probably making it look like people are way closer together than they actually are.

personally im not going anywhere near any beauty hotspots around here in the uk and i'm avoiding parks/riverside paths.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Barry White posted:

Is Belarus still drinking vodka at football matches to ward off the virus?

Yeah, pretty much.

Other great anti-viral strategies from our President:
work in a field on a tractor
pet baby goats
sauna
hockey
pretend nothing is happening

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To my knowledge we aren't even doing this at airports

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

hemale in pain posted:

like i know it looks bad but most of those people are in family groups and perspective is probably making it look like people are way closer together than they actually are.

personally im not going anywhere near any beauty hotspots around here in the uk and i'm avoiding parks/riverside paths.

I took the picture. It was genuinely packed, and continued for kilometers in both directions. More than I've seen it even on a nice day in summer. Sure the groups were maybe 2 meters away, but there were lots of large groups of young adults etc that clearly didn't live together and weren't distancing. It's definitely better than having bars open, and all signs are pointing to Oktoberfest being canceled this year, but I think the ignoring social distancing thing is not uniquely American. People are frustrated everywhere, and more people are outside because there's nowhere else to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sekenr posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Other great anti-viral strategies from our President:

pet baby goats

I think he might be on to something here.