Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Thread recap:
Star Citizen's development is like cramming a square peg into a round hole, destroying both in the process. They've wasted years and hundreds of millions of dollars developing systems that don't contribute a loving thing to the actual gameplay, they've LITERALLY deliberately designed the game to not be fun, and the game's foundation is so fundamentally broken that every single addition they make to the game is more broken than the last.

Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Lou Takki posted:

3.10 & 3.11 upcoming patch do have also 31 others cards, including:
– Several Ai’s implementation (ships + fps)
– Server to Client Actor Networking Rework
– 13 gameplay improvments

Not counting many tasks not even on roadmap like Server Meshing, SOCS and a new gameplay that is a game in itself: Theater of War.
All SQ42 (solo) assets will be injected in SC at release.

8 Years later, publishers are planning to make Remaster of their past older game… Meanwhile SQ42+SC are gently coming closer to beta for less the price of a re-skinned publishers games with zero ambition as date matter as well as profit sharing vs gamer community.

Hi Joe. Only messing, but I did read something VERY similar from Blobers the other day.

quote:

So weapons skins to another patch... while multi-billion $ per year revenues publishers are announcing or delivering novelty: Crysis remastered, Age of Empire remastered, "whateverpastsequelofgames" remastered... :)

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 18, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
SQ42 - Ep1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yY-Xamg03I

Haven't got to the end yet. Not sure if there's lust on their minds.

e: holy christ, just so many amazing things. The giant square particle effects for the grenade attack, the 'WE ARE SPECIAL OPS' followed by struggles to get up a ramp. Just this pervasive sheen of high fidelity jank.

Quite like the CCTV camera angle bits though.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 18, 2020

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Lou Takki posted:

Not counting many tasks not even on roadmap like Server Meshing, SOCS and a new gameplay that is a game in itself: Theater of War.

8 Years later, publishers are planning to make Remaster of their past older game… Meanwhile SQ42+SC are gently coming closer to beta for less the price of a re-skinned publishers games with zero ambition as date matter as well as profit sharing vs gamer community.

Imagine claiming to be completely open with development and hiding major releases from everyone. Why was theatres of war not made public or even hinted at before being drop to the public? whats it's current status? how long till it's released? why is it nothing more than a battlefield clone, looking terrible in every way.

Those companies also release new games as well and a remaster in less time than Star Citizen has taken to introduce...well anything

CIG have done exactly nothing, they have less gameplay than a shovelware game and just put what are now dated graphics to trick idiots into paying new computer prices for dlc hidden as ships.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
This Furby could still talk when Start Citizen was still on kickstarter

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Lou Takki posted:

gently caress, these are killing me. "Gently coming closer to beta" 8 years later, wow

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

8 minutes of Theatres of War gameplay from Evocati

More:

https://streamable.com/u8p3q1
https://streamable.com/r7xa08
https://streamable.com/79j0q3
https://gfycat.com/belovedevergreenhyena

Truly groundbreaking

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lou Takki posted:

Star Citizen is already the first game to require a remaster before its even been released.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xakura posted:

gently caress, these are killing me. "Gently coming closer to beta" 8 years later, wow

So gently that it appears to be getting further away.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Theatres of War has all the same server issues as the PU

Sorry to bear bad news. ToW leaks and play tests show that in a small controlled environment the servers are still the same bad condition as the PU. Desync, rubber-banding and extremely low FPS due to server tick rate. I feel this confirms what some have been saying here for ages - that server meshing is not going to fix these problems. These are underlying server issues that are unrelated to the size of the PU. This is important because other games in similarly controlled environments either do not have these issues or to a much lesser degree. So we now have a comparison and Star Citizen gets low marks.
On the bright side, I hope that CIG can either use this as motivation to fix the servers in order to get ToW out the door, or in the least shed some light on the origin of the problems to get those fixes in the pipeline. The PU could reap rewards if ToW gets in playable state. But it doesn't appear to be even close at this time.

:argh: Holy poo poo guys. Sean Tracey made it perfectly clear that ToW would have all the same issues. Because that's a big part of the reason they're making it the way they are. They'll be able to figure out these issues FASTER using this game mode than the PU because of the work involved to create these high action scenarios. Being shocked about this is just an admission you missed the memo about why ToW was being built in the first place.

:pray: I'm pretty sure the Server to Client Actor Networking Rework is what's supposed to be fixing the desync and hitreg issues, not server meshing. Sean Tracy did say it was very important for ToW.

:confused: I thought it was said during one of the shows that the physics changes that came along with 3.8 introduced the desync?

:colbert: Yea, I'm sure it will be a game changer just like SSOCS was...

:shepspends: SSOCS was a game changer. They had to delete like 9 space stations from the game to fit caves into the game in 3.7. In 3.8 with SSOCS those were added back alongside Microtech. 3.9 adds three moons, a landing zone, and like 20 outposts without needing anything to be deleted. That was a big step forward, just not the Holy Grail that you are looking for. It solved a specific problem so completely that you even forgot what SSOCS was intended to address. With the Netcode rework, we know exactly what the current problem is, and what CIG is doing to address it. It's just down them to coding the implementation.

:homebrew: I thought this was common knowledge. Most people point to the Server to Client network rework as the potential fix to desync and rubber banding. Server tick rate I believe is an issue that SOCS should deal with, and they're still working on that one.

:tif:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

The secret to CIG's success is so simple, and so obvious, that it's amazing some other game company didn't do it first. You SAY you're going to do something, make sure everything you say is 100x harder and also better than anyone else has ever done, then you just fail to do it. If the failure is pointed out, defend it by mentioning how ambitious it is, and that nobody else even has the balls to try. Make sure you paint "trying" as a virtue, and deflect the obvious defense that ambition is only considered ambition if you're qualified, by mentioning a game you were in the vicinity of when it was made by other uncredited people decades ago.

Then steal a few hundred million dollars, do what you loving want with it including a lavish unearned salary, triple-dip by paying your family too, buy a mansion and fancy cars, and swim in that sweet, sweet unearned cash while your underskilled crowd-funded charity labor force builds a Potemkin village to point at when the auditors come knocking. Do this for more years than anyone could have imagined.

Not really game companies but Theranos, Enron, Lehman Brothers, to name but a few who did exactly that. Among other things.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
It's nice to know that after 10 years they are still trying to get the networking in an MMO game functional. Other lesser companies would have done it the easier way and had it working much earlier in the games development.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Xakura posted:

The development progress is so gentle it's almost imperceptible. Some continents probably move faster than this project.

What chinese P2W shovelware from 5 years ago is this?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

CountDrac
Jan 19, 2006
Why do they even waste time adding a mediocre battlefield game option to their space sim? What portion of their backers is even remotely interested in this?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

CountDrac posted:

Why do they even waste time adding a mediocre battlefield game option to their space sim? What portion of their backers is even remotely interested in this?

https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron/status/1198245556189040640

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Pixelate posted:

SQ42 - Ep1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yY-Xamg03I

Haven't got to the end yet. Not sure if there's lust on their minds.

e: holy christ, just so many amazing things. The giant square particle effects for the grenade attack, the 'WE ARE SPECIAL OPS' followed by struggles to get up a ramp. Just this pervasive sheen of high fidelity jank.

Quite like the CCTV camera angle bits though.

:o it really is a 2006 Garrysmod video isn’t it?
F.u.c.k.i.n.g R.A.W!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

From SC Leaks:

intel core i7-9750H
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060
32gb RAM

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Well I think it safe to say that Activision will be closing down their CoD servers once Chris Roberts - Star Citizen's Theater of War releases.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ToW, a team arena deathmatch is what is needed to bridge the gap to....

checks notes

Salvage, passenger missions, farming, cocktail mixing, exploration, base building, trading....

Ok, there is combat, but we already had Arena Commander and Star Marine that were meant to do that already. So basically they are saying AC and SM failed to do what was needed, but now ToW is going to do it?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
The Battlefield community will flock to this. 64 players on each side is too many anyway. Dice must be making GBS threads themselves and wish they had not hosed up Battlefield 5 with women, prosthetic limbs and cricket bats.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

The OP just hasn’t ripped all of the copper out of their house and mailed it to CIG yet. It was clearly messing with the physics grids.

CIG will need the copper for the final art pipelines and then they'll just be able to layer in the code.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Now here is something I thought I would never say ....... I wish Ben was still around ..... To talk Chris into playing some ToW on live stream.

That would fuel this thread for thousands of pages.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pretty certain Ben is still round

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lou Takki posted:

And here goes the SC hate again.

It’s pretty amazing what they have accomplished, and what they are regularly accomplishing with new iterations.

The great pyramids were once only a foundation of pyramids as well. Then, many years later, they were actual pyramids.

And that is in a way the scope we are dealing with here. The difference is, there were at least halfway as ambitious pyramids before the Giza ones. There wasn’t even a halfway as ambitious game as SC before SC

I wonder if the non-development of Star Citizen will keep going long enough to outstay the construction the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ben is the only thing in this whole project that can't punch above it's weight.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Herb Dington posted:

pull up, thread! :crobear: :crobear: :crobear: :crobear:

Chris tried to pull up, but the flight stick was not plugged in. It's just not the same when you have to use an Xbox controller.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Bofast posted:

I wonder if the non-development of Star Citizen will keep going long enough to outstay the construction the Great Pyramid of Giza.
It's likely. According to this article, it took about 10 years from site preparation to completion.

quote:

Based on our program management approach and our informed guesses we concluded that the total project required an average workforce of 13,200 persons and a peak workforce of 40,000 and that it required two to three years of site preparation, five years of pyramid construction, and two years of ramp removal, decoration, and other ancillary tasks

Edit: yes, even Ancient Egyptians knew that you should start with foundations and add decorations only when everything else is finished

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 18, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hah, that first link looks like if Planetside 2 was made in 1999 by a studio that had no idea what they were doing :allears:

Dwesa posted:

The development progress is so gentle it's almost imperceptible. Some continents probably move faster than this project.

What chinese P2W shovelware from 5 years ago is this?

CIG didn't want to use waterfall or agile, so they went with the continental drift style of development :D

Bofast fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 18, 2020

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dwesa posted:

It's likely. According to this article, it took about 10 years from site preparation to completion.

Edit: yes, even Ancient Egyptians knew that you should start with foundations and add decorations only when everything else is finished

Buy a Pyramid

Referral code (CHRIS-ISBET-TERTH-ANYOU)

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Comparing building Star Citizen to building one of the ancient wonders of the world?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well it's a wonder alright...

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dooguk posted:

Comparing building Star Citizen to building one of the ancient wonders of the world?

I know, it's a bit unkind to the pyramids to compare them with a digital castle in the air full of nothing but dreams, despair and desyncs, but the pyramids don't really mind that much. They don't get much regular attention during COVID-19 season, anyway.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I just saw a streamer get into a dogfight in an asteroid belt. The most interesting thing is that the optimal strategy for winning a dogfight is to sit perfectly still and rotate on the spot as the enemy fighter slowly circles you. You can then easily whittle down their health until they explode. The AI doesn't seem to have any way to counter this.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dooguk posted:

I guess SC is closer to Chernobyl nuclear power plant (post-disaster) than to pyramids.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

What the hell kinda vehicle is this?

https://i.imgur.com/LDAavoG.mp4

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

quote:

This is clearly not proper gameplay but bug testing, dude.

In that video he is obviously testing out the scope animation etc and trying to trigger certain bugs.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:siren: :siren: :siren:

"Finally! Proof CIG Is Lying To Us ALL!! Star Citizen NEWS 18/05/2020"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bab2c5VkFoU

Over 1 hour long video :negative:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://scfocus.org/release-dates/

:eng99: