Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Is it possible to generate a world without a dungeon?? I used the super special secret seed, and it seems like my world is dungeonless. is it maybe buried under some other piece of worldgen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

someone starting terrarria for basically the first time, should I do journey mode?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

queeb posted:

someone starting terrarria for basically the first time, should I do journey mode?

Probably not. Journey mode seems well suited for people who have played through the game a handful of times already to make some of the early stuff go a bit faster. If you're going in fresh I think classic is still the way to go.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

queeb posted:

Yeah just go for it, at least through pre-hardmode.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ixjuvin posted:

Is it possible to generate a world without a dungeon?? I used the super special secret seed, and it seems like my world is dungeonless. is it maybe buried under some other piece of worldgen?

Look for a unique giant tree.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Saxophone posted:

This isn't a bad point. Something like the goblin engineer table to combine accessories would be nice for craft stations.
Most major mods seem to do something along these lines.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

explosivo posted:

Probably not. Journey mode seems well suited for people who have played through the game a handful of times already to make some of the early stuff go a bit faster. If you're going in fresh I think classic is still the way to go.

Not really, its more like if you know what you are doing you can do a lot of absurd stuff with journey mode, but if you don't its still a nice casual way to experience everything, especially now that there's a bestiary to tell you where things come from and how many can be found in a area type.

Calling the mode designed for accessibility and ease of building meant for more experienced players is something I find quite silly.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
gently caress me, the last time I played this I was married. Sunk a poo poo ton of hours into it. Shall I sink more?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Played khaios, golf map. And it is quite well made, enjoyed it, so if any of you guys want to try golfing in Terraria.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TaFAzmJ60nu6ljZpyaWVrCA5khst3vtV/view

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Black August posted:

Look for a unique giant tree.

Welp, i need a molten pickaxe to get into the dungeon before hardmode because a demon altar spawned right on top of the entrance :negative:

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
At first I thought Journey mode felt a little too cheaty but the more I play it the more I like it. Being able to spend more time building/fighting and less time collecting some of the lower tier stuff is just awesome. Plus being able to change the difficulty is great. When the kids are up and want to play we can adjust the difficulty appropriately without having to manage multiple worlds. I can’t say I’d go back to playing classic at this point.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Ixjuvin posted:

Welp, i need a molten pickaxe to get into the dungeon before hardmode because a demon altar spawned right on top of the entrance :negative:

You could also explore the depths of the ocean

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I used the secret seed to generate a world too, tons of hollow trees, dungeon under one of them, and I could only guess that there's no guardian since there's no crazy guy outside of it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a better way to do multiplayer with my sister than connecting to a server? We're right next to each other but going through a server still results in some lag.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I mean...no, but I’m assuming one of you is running the server locally?

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Tonight's round ended with finding a pair of unprotected crimson hearts, looting them, and then having a goblin army approach as I was just starting to take on King Slime.

I decided I didn't feel like dealing with that just now and bailed. Some other time.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a better way to do multiplayer with my sister than connecting to a server? We're right next to each other but going through a server still results in some lag.

Steam multiplayer seems fine to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zoig posted:

Not really, its more like if you know what you are doing you can do a lot of absurd stuff with journey mode, but if you don't its still a nice casual way to experience everything, especially now that there's a bestiary to tell you where things come from and how many can be found in a area type.

Calling the mode designed for accessibility and ease of building meant for more experienced players is something I find quite silly.

I can see the suggestion for it being more for experienced players. You can make an argument that farming stuff and working with limited resources is part of Terraria's basic gameplay loop. "I found 100 copper coins, therefore I now have infinite money" and "I poked my head into a cavern and mined for ten minutes and now I have infinite [x] ore" are way outside the original way the game was meant to progress - they're really goddamn awesome for players who have done all this poo poo a zillion times and just want to fast forward it, but a new player might want to experience the game as originally designed.

If said new player isn't interested in any of that, then yeah, Journey Mode it up, but I don't think it's at all an automatic "just play Journey Mode" decision for all new players.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dedicated server has some weird lag stuff but host n play seems rock solid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Host and play definitely occasionally has weird lag hitches, even for the host. I've been attacked by teleporting cave bats and instant transmissioning zombies and demon eyes multiple times in the past day or so; it usually settles down with a server restart.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Dedicated server has some weird lag stuff but host n play seems rock solid.

It seems to be a client issue, as reconnecting clears the issue, while the server chugs happily along. Unless the server is stacking something up specific to that client, I suppose.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reposting the discord link, apparently there were issues: https://discord.gg/PXbc8K

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, where did my weekend go

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat, where did my weekend go

This is me, I lost 2 days playing by myself and with goons.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
gently caress me, Expert mode does not screw around. I can't kill Skeletron with my space laser and meteorite gear. Think I'm going to have to actually gear up a bit better. Can't imagine doing this poo poo on Master mode.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Started Master mode yesterday. Everything has been super deadly so far. I glanced at the 1.4 change log but going in mostly blind to whatever Master mode changes.

I've been buying and using a lot more bombs this time around, instead of saving them for forever. I also stole some spelunker potions from a previous game world to help the early grind.

Can't wait to try journey mode!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So if you have a goofy rgb keyboard like I do, this new version of Terraria will depict your environment on it. Like, mine's a nice forest green with blue rain drops falling down right now, because I'm in the forest and it's raining. That was unexpected.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Kanos posted:

I can see the suggestion for it being more for experienced players. You can make an argument that farming stuff and working with limited resources is part of Terraria's basic gameplay loop. "I found 100 copper coins, therefore I now have infinite money" and "I poked my head into a cavern and mined for ten minutes and now I have infinite [x] ore" are way outside the original way the game was meant to progress - they're really goddamn awesome for players who have done all this poo poo a zillion times and just want to fast forward it, but a new player might want to experience the game as originally designed.

If said new player isn't interested in any of that, then yeah, Journey Mode it up, but I don't think it's at all an automatic "just play Journey Mode" decision for all new players.

Yeah no I agree with you, my statement was that saying its only really meant for experienced players was inaccurate, since its largely about accessibility for people with less skill, time, or patience for the game. Playing it with my brother its been a lot of him not knowing what anything was and learning it again after years and its been a great help to both get him acclimated again and speed up through the slightly less interesting beginning for the 15th time, at least for me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I truly appreciate that Master Mode has made me once again fear the night in early game.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ENTER EXCLUSIVE SEED CODE not the bees TO WIN INSTANTLY!!!

:unsmigghh: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :unsmigghh:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doesn’t seem to do anything special for me? Except it says generating bees throughout world gen, but it’s otherwise normal.

e: Journey mode helped

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, i've not played since finishing the very first version of this.

I jumped back in with a supersized world to do solo journey, but now i'm thinking that was a mistake as it's taking an absolute age to mine downwards and find any ores.

Is a small world still suitable for solo and getting to see everything the game has to offer?

Also, i vaguely remember using things like dynamite to excavate faster or bigger pickaxes that mined a range of tiles. Was there a merchant that sold it? Or am i getting stuff mixed up with starbound or something.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
The big titty fox talks like a grown man pretending to be a gamergirl, but she sells an item that makes critters immune to your damage and a permit that grants you a cat to pet and also a grappling hook made out of a squirrel.

edit

my new cat is calling me out on the housing conditions.

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 18, 2020

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Are there any storage quality of life mods that work with the newest patch? The base game has gotten really good at it with auto stack and all that but somehow it still feels like a hassle to manage the tons of chests you need for all these random materials, herbs, dye things, fishing things, assessories and just all sorts of clutter that you need to figure out some sort of storage setup for and stick to it.
I mean just bigger chests would help to some extent, but is there anything that maybe helps with the sorting itself? maybe a chest that have locked slots for certain things like a herb and seed chest that has spaces predefined for all of them and autostacks even when empty or something in that direction.

Played through this a couple of times but never touched any of the mods but finally this chest management for the nth time has broken me
also any other real good quality of life mods would be appreciated

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Delamore posted:

Are there any ...mods that work with the newest patch?
I'm pretty sure at this point people wait for tmodloader to be updated before making mods.

Magic Storage is real good once tmodloader and it are updated for 1.4, though.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
First time on Desktop version. Getting very low frame rate intermittently. Is there any way to see my current FPS? That would help to diagnose.

It runs best when I go windowed and only use part of my screen. But, the mouse pointer clicks my Desktop icons whenever I overshoot out of the window. In contrast, Minecraft "captures" your mouse so that this can't happen. Is there any way to do something similar in Terraria? How do I avoid clicking outside of a windowed (not full-screen) game?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I just can't get a meteor to land, I've done 2 Eater of Worlds with a big gap in between orbs and still can't get one to fall... Travelling merchant doesn't like me much either.

Otherwise I think I'm all lined up for the Wall of Flesh and to get serious.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

I just can't get a meteor to land, I've done 2 Eater of Worlds with a big gap in between orbs and still can't get one to fall... Travelling merchant doesn't like me much either.

Otherwise I think I'm all lined up for the Wall of Flesh and to get serious.
Do you want to use meteor gear or meteor shot to fight the Wall?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Not specifically but want it ticked off the pre-hardmode list in my head.

I am planning on going Magic this run but I think jungle armour's slightly better than meteor (if I'm not using Space Gun)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The goon journey server was fun for a while but I've gone back to a classic character master large world for a long playthrough. Also, I don't feel like I'm being rushed anymore and can take my time without wondering if people are antsy to 'progress', especially since it seemingly went to hardmode sometime during the afternoon and I am just not ready for that experience in master mode.

Been having a blast.. I've only died once and I've got 2 pylons up and starting on a minecart track across the top. Terraria 1.4 is so much fun, and I just discovered something amazing that I'm not sure I saw in the patch notes.

You can smart cursor replant herbs in pots as one action rather than harvesting then replanting... this is gonna save a bunch of time. No more tedious careful pickaxing of the blooming herbs; just run along and quick harvest/replant at the same time.

edit: however, it will happily replace moonglow with daybloom or whatever, so some caution is advised

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 18, 2020