Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Duplicant posted:

The guy who wrote DOW 36000 and is now a White House Senior Advisor decided to do some 'modeling' on COVID19 fatalities by taking the early data and having Excel best fit a cubic trendline. This 'model' was widely shared and accepted internally.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21250641/kevin-hassett-cubic-model-smoothing

No I meant the sword

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

No I meant the sword

Goons didn’t do original investigative journalism, if that’s what you thought I meant.

Someone posted an article about the sword and it got ignored for a page or two before someone was like “Hold the gently caress up. Did ˇJeb! actually believe that ‘Chang’ was a mythical conservative hero and not the very real dictator of Taiwan?”

He couldn’t possibly believe that, could he?

He did.

The posts in question would be from the end of October or beginning of November 2015, when ˇJeb! published Reply All.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

No I meant the sword

the story of the sword of Chang, as I understand it:

After the Chinese civil war, Chiang Kai-Shek and the Nationalist faction fled to Taiwan. The world gradually recognized the People's Republic as the legitimate government of China. However, hardcore conservatives had this dream that the US should intervene and militarily support Chiang's dream to retake China. If the US would just "unleash Chiang", China would be free.

George H.W. Bush would play tennis, he would joke that he was about to unleash Chiang and kick everyone's rear end. It was him making fun of the John Birch types.

Somehow, Jeb got in his head that Chang really was this mythical hero of conservative principles, and he got a sword and made it into his own excalibur, the sword of Chang. He gave it away to Marco Rubio, and misfortune befell them both.

Smirking_Serpent has issued a correction as of 08:28 on May 17, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The reason Chiang needed to be “unleashed” was that the Seventh Fleet hung out in the strait.

In the protoconservative reality distortion bubble, the U.S. Navy wasn’t protecting Chiang from the commies—it was protecting them from him!

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:30 on May 17, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the story of the sword of Chang, as I understand it:

After the Chinese civil war, Chiang Kai-Shek and the Nationalist faction fled to Taiwan. The world gradually recognized the People's Republic as the legitimate government of China. However, hardcore conservatives had this dream that the US should intervene and militarily support Chiang's dream to retake China. If the US would just "unleash Chiang", China would be free.

George H.W. Bush would play tennis, he would joke that he was about to unleash Chiang and kick everyone's rear end. It was him making fun of the John Birch types.

Somehow, Jeb got in his head that Chang really was this mythical hero of conservative principles, and he got a sword and made it into his own excalibur, the sword of Chang. He gave it away to Marco Rubio, and misfortune befell them both.

Yeah lol good one but what's the real story?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

“Chang is a mystical warrior. Chang is somebody who believes in conservative principles, believes in entrepreneurial capitalism, believes in moral values that underpin a free society. I rely on Chang with great regularity in my public life. He has been by my side, and sometimes I let him down. But Chang, this mystical warrior, has never let me down.”

Then Bush presented Rubio a golden sword, and solemnly explained its significance. “I’m going to bestow to you the sword of a great conservative warrior.”

Only … a closer look at the sword and its display stand Rubio kept in his Florida Speaker’s suite showed that the inscription read “C-H-I-A-N-G,” not, “C-H-A-N-G.” Specifically: “Unleash Chiang.”

edit: "unleash chaing" is a right winger phrase from the korean war era lmao

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 09:57 on May 17, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ˇJeb!’s sister wrote a book that mentions the “unleash Chiang” tennis taunt.

She knew what it meant. ˇJeb! is just an idiot.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

irrespective of all the mythology, that sword itself looks dumb as hell

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Just remembered that Colin Powell and the entire bush White House were walrusing on ambien all the time

hot drat

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I thought that unleashing chang was like throwing ropes? this is very disconcerting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

irrespective of all the mythology, that sword itself looks dumb as hell

Yeah like even doctors have a cooler sword. Well, marginally. To balance it out they have to wear a really ugly hat so vOv

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Speaking of swords...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
it’s amazing how loving poo poo the Air Force is lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One of those photos is a goon’s uncle receiving his sword.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

that sword was made to be wielded by a dandy fop at a costume party

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kitfox88 posted:

it's been taken over by deadeyed evangelicals

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Members of Trump's personal security team tried to overthrow Venezuela like three days ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's been taken over by deadeyed evangelicals

And mormons?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Does this count, because I suddenly remember it every day and lol in horror

https://mobile.twitter.com/nitroid/status/1248328515533115394?lang=en

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I just remembered that Jared Kushner couldn't get security clearance because he kept "forgetting" things that needed to be disclosed and that he was a security risk because of his massive debts to other countries and then Trump made them give him security clearance anyway.
Plus he kept having someone else fill out the form for him and check off the box acknowledging that you, and only you, prepared it.

taqueso posted:

so basically a crowd-funded bounty system

this should be streamlined
https://cryptome.org/ap.htm
It really is pure anarcho capitalism. he even included a proto-bitcoin system in there

taqueso posted:

i like to think coke is not at fault here
A brain aneurysm caused by drugs followed by a recovery process involving lovely people surrounding her with lovely beliefs and drugs puts coke in the list of likely causes.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
neogaf was one of the biggest hillary clinton supporting sites on the internet and now its spinoff site resetera is run by idpol libs and is probably one of the most authoritarian message boards I've ever encountered.

Most of the hardcore succdems on resetera were actually banned a few weeks ago for calling Tara Reade a Russian plant

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747

GWBBQ posted:

A brain aneurysm caused by drugs followed by a recovery process involving lovely people surrounding her with lovely beliefs and drugs puts coke in the list of likely causes.

the other week she posted a vid claiming that her husband Jesus Christ had blessed her rear end with a holy energy that cures all disease

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Chuka Umana posted:

neogaf was one of the biggest hillary clinton supporting sites on the internet and now its spinoff site resetera is run by idpol libs and is probably one of the most authoritarian message boards I've ever encountered.

Most of the hardcore succdems on resetera were actually banned a few weeks ago for calling Tara Reade a Russian plant

lol thanks for reminding me to add you to an ignore list of less than a dozen people after 16 on this site years for this awful, incomprehensible jargon laded post that as far as I can tell means nothing

Stunning Honky has issued a correction as of 05:11 on May 18, 2020

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i mean, i remember telling you that you sucked at least once after my eyes glazing over this sack of word poo poo but not until wondering "who is the biggest idiot on the forums i've seen in a while" and peering up to see your dumb rear end writing again.

please stop posting

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
cheney shot a dude in the face and the dude apologized publicly to cheney

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

mooyashi posted:

i mean, i remember telling you that you sucked at least once after my eyes glazing over this sack of word poo poo but not until wondering "who is the biggest idiot on the forums i've seen in a while" and peering up to see your dumb rear end writing again.

please stop posting

you get the posts you deserve

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Unfortunately Kander had to retire from politics in the middle of running for mayor of Kansas City because of PTSD. He's the only MO politician I've ever given money to.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Kitfox88 posted:

I just remembered that they had to have the biggest Medal of Honor of the services and has like a smirking lady liberty on it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Apathy420 posted:

the other week she posted a vid claiming that her husband Jesus Christ had blessed her rear end with a holy energy that cures all disease

I can’t believe cumshitter is tila tequila

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

After 9/11 there was a secret meeting on strategies in the middle east that produced a report for the bush admin in coordination with the heritage foundation, other right wing think tanks, the admin's top policymakers, and also several journalists (including i believe from the atlantic) who ended up coincidentally fully supporting the iraq war and publishing all of the bush admin's false info on iraq as true

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

There we go

quote:

Fareed Zakaria, a Newsweek columnist and editor of Newsweek International, attended a secret meeting on November 29, 2001, with a dozen policy makers, Middle East experts and members of influential policy research organizations that produced a report for President George W. Bush and his cabinet outlining a strategy for dealing with Afghanistan and the Middle East in the aftermath of September 11, 2001. The meeting was held at the request of Paul D. Wolfowitz, then the Deputy Secretary of Defense. The unusual presence of journalists, who also included Robert D. Kaplan of The Atlantic Monthly, at such a strategy meeting was revealed in Bob Woodward's 2006 book State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III. Woodward reported in his book that, according to Kaplan, everyone at the meeting signed confidentiality agreements not to discuss what happened. Zakaria told The New York Times that he attended the meeting for several hours but did not recall being told that a report for the president would be produced.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Another big lol

quote:

On January 14, 2013, The Atlantic's website published "sponsor content" promoting David Miscavige, the leader of the Church of Scientology. While the magazine had previously published advertising looking like articles, this one was widely criticized. The page comments were moderated by the marketing team, not by editorial staff, and comments critical of the church were being removed. Later that day, The Atlantic removed the piece from its website and issued an apology.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I remember Jon Stewart fawning over how smart Fareed was on TDS

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

articles about biden planning a New New Deal Presidency reminded me of this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
hosed up that they want obama to have a body that is immobile below the waist

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

articles about biden planning a New New Deal Presidency reminded me of this

"Somalia: the Worst Place on Earth" in 2008, fantastic reporting, just great, brilliant. Top notch!

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Listen, fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd put my money on yang if the presidential eating contest goes down